PDA

View Full Version : Game 3 Downtown Watering Hole?

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm going to skip out of work at around 3:30 or so Friday.

Any WSIers care to meet up to watch the game in the Loop? Suggestions are welcome, otherwise I'll just pick a place close to my office.

fado
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm a big fan of Poag Mahone's in my building at 175 W. Jackson. They have a bunch of TV's and the scenery is pretty good. I know that's where I will be.

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm a big fan of Poag Mahone's in my building at 175 W. Jackson. They have a bunch of TV's and the scenery is pretty good. I know that's where I will be.

Hmmm...might not be a bad idea.

sas1974
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM

I was there for the clincher and it was alright. Not the largest bar though.

fado
10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah it's not that big but there is a lot of seating behind the bar. They are actually expanding the place within the next couple of months. Too bad they couldn't have it done for the playoffs.

thecell
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
If you guys go, I might stop in for a couple. I work in that building as well, 8th floor.

anti-cub
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
$2 PBR's at Wabash Tap, was there yesterday, wasn't pack but plenty of tv's and everyone was there to support the white sox. The place is low key and not many people know of it.

DumpJerry
10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
$2 PBR's at Wabash Tap, was there yesterday, wasn't pack but plenty of tv's and everyone was there to support the white sox. The place is low key and not many people know of it.
Address?

fado
10-05-2005, 11:32 AM
If you guys go, I might stop in for a couple. I work in that building as well, 8th floor.

I know that I'll be there since I work on four. I'm normally bellied up at the bar hitting on the bartenders.

daveeym
10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
The Big Downtown on Wabash isn't bad. It's in the Palmer House Hilton. If you can manage the walk going to Mother Hubbards would be perfect. Stocks and Blondes on Wabash isn't too bad either for catching a game, particularly since you'll be getting to any of these bars early to grab seats.

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
The Big Downtown on Wabash isn't bad. It's in the Palmer House Hilton. If you can manage the walk going to Mother Hubbards would be perfect. Stocks and Blondes on Wabash isn't too bad either for catching a game, particularly since you'll be getting to any of these bars early to grab seats.

Ohhhh! Stocks and Blondes. How could I forget?

Stocks and Blondes (which is NOT a strip club)...Friday, 3:30 or whenever you can get there. It's on Wells just past the Washington/Wells brown line stop.

Brian26
10-05-2005, 11:56 AM

Stocks and Blondes (which is NOT a strip club)...Friday, 3:30 or whenever you can get there. It's on Wells just past the Washington/Wells brown line stop.

It will be ****ing packed! :D: Save me a seat.

Baby Fisk
10-05-2005, 11:58 AM

Is this the agreed upon location? I'd like to gather with some of you.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM

No Wabash Tap? As long as there are enough seats and TVs, I'd prefer someplace dumpy.

ilsox7
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
If anyone wants to come up North a bit to Division, there is a plce that has free wings on Friday from 4-7. That's where I'll be.

sas1974
10-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Their Delta Chicken Sandwich is THE best. Nice call w/ that place. It's going to be a zoo in there too as it's not all that big either.

I almost hate to mention it, but Cactus on Wells is pretty big. Does anyone know how well they'd cater to a Sox crowd?

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Their Delta Chicken Sandwich is THE best. Nice call w/ that place. It's going to be a zoo in there too as it's not all that big either.

I almost hate to mention it, but Cactus on Wells is pretty big. Does anyone know how well they'd cater to a Sox crowd?

Catcus is my all-time favorite spot to drink after work, but it's a terrible place to watch sports.

kittle42
10-05-2005, 12:22 PM

I'll be there.

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I'll be there.

Sweet! I get to meet the Prince Of Snarkness at last!

JimH
10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Wabash Tap is at 1233 S. Wabash, just south of the intersection with Roosevelt Rd. $2 cans of PBR, $2.50 Miller drafts.

billnahorodny
10-05-2005, 12:56 PM
S&B sucks! I used to work across the street and it just gets too crowded.
Since I didn't have tickets to yesterday's game and couldn't bear not seeing the game, I walked over to Dugan's on Halsted since it's only a couple blocks from my office. The place was basically deserted but they have a Sox flag flying outside. Lots of TV's and seating.

Madvora
10-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I just started downtown a couple weeks ago.
I need a Sox friendly bar close to Union Station. I work across the street from that.

Can anyone suggest one?

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I just started downtown a couple weeks ago.
I need a Sox friendly bar close to Union Station. I work across the street from that.

Can anyone suggest one?

Dugan's is right across the highway and 2 blocks north of Union Station. About a 10 minute walk.

I'm beginning to think it may be a better call than S&B...so many decisions...

kittle42
10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Sweet! I get to meet the Prince Of Snarkness at last!

Yeah - I'm kind of a jerk. :cool:

steff
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Jimbos :rolleyes:

Brian26
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Dugan's is right across the highway and 2 blocks north of Union Station. About a 10 minute walk.

I'm beginning to think it may be a better call than S&B...so many decisions...

Honestly, Stocks and Blondes is a hole in the wall. It's always packed to the rafters on a Friday anyway. Even if 10 or 15 extra people show up from WSI, it will be pretty uncomfortable.

daveeym
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
No Wabash Tap? As long as there are enough seats and TVs, I'd prefer someplace dumpy. Stocks and blondes is pretty dumpy. :D:

daveeym
10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Ok things are gonna be packed in the loop regardless since it's a Friday. And as mentioned by many Stocks and Blondes is always a zoo, Poag Mahone's will be the same, especially since the board will have just let out as well. There's a rather large german looking bar on Lake street just west of Wells I believe that is quite large, never too crowded and loaded with Tv's and I think also has cheap canned beer daily. Oh and free peanuts!!! Anyone know what I'm thinking of? And as I said earlier Mother Hubbards would easily fit everyone at Hubbard and State.

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok things are gonna be packed in the loop regardless since it's a Friday. And as mentioned by many Stocks and Blondes is always a zoo, Poag Mahone's will be the same, especially since the board will have just let out as well. There's a rather large german looking bar on Lake street just west of Wells I believe that is quite large, never too crowded and loaded with Tv's and I think also has cheap canned beer daily. Oh and free peanuts!!! Anyone know what I'm thinking of? And as I said earlier Mother Hubbards would easily fit everyone at Hubbard and State.

Let's make it Dugan's then. Little easier to get to than Hubbard's (although I like that place too).

soxgirl617
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
There's a rather large german looking bar on Lake street just west of Wells I believe that is quite large, never too crowded and loaded with Tv's and I think also has cheap canned beer daily. Oh and free peanuts!!! Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Are you thinking of Monk's? South side of the street? Great burgers, too.

Sox of White
10-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I like the idea of Wabash Tap. I have never been there, but sounds like a cool place. Let's all go there!

daveeym
10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Are you thinking of Monk's? South side of the street? Great burgers, too. Yeah that sounds right Monks would be a bit closer and I've never seen it too crowded in there.

205 W. Lake St.
312-357-6665

Warning to people with peanut allergies: Stay away from Monk's. The empty shells on the floor alone are enough to choke an elephant. The look here is a bizarre hodgepodge of Barvarian monastery meets Hollywood memorabilia convention. The evening crowd, however, isn't really the type to kvetch about interior design. A mix of blue collar, white collar and no collar, they're happy to contemplate the large beer selection and 15 varieties of burgers.

Brian26
10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Are you thinking of Monk's? South side of the street? Great burgers, too.

Monk's Pub. Good burgers, and crazy-ass peanut shells all over the floor. Lots of room there. I've never been to Dugan's though, so I can't compare.

Madvora
10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I did a little walk around during lunch to scope out some places. I found a couple of places near Union Station. I need some advice or reviews on these.

- Dylan's Tavern on Clinton (between Adams and Monroe) - right by Union Station. There was a Miller Lite neon sign in the window with the Sox logo on it.

- There's another place about two blocks North of that on Clinton too. Same side of the steet. I think the sign just said "Sportbar" something. However, they did have a "Wrigleyville" Miller Lite neon sign on the back wall. Probably bad news.

I also heard there is a sports bar actually in Union station. Anyone know about this?

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I did a little walk around during lunch to scope out some places. I found a couple of places near Union Station. I need some advice or reviews on these.

- Dylan's Tavern on Clinton (between Adams and Monroe) - right by Union Station. There was a Miller Lite neon sign in the window with the Sox logo on it.

- There's another place about two blocks North of that on Clinton too. Same side of the steet. I think the sign just said "Sportbar" something. However, they did have a "Wrigleyville" Miller Lite neon sign on the back wall. Probably bad news.

I also heard there is a sports bar actually in Union station. Anyone know about this?

Madvora, you were right in the glorious West Loop, where I live and work!

Dylan's usually has a lot of Sox fans in it. Great eats and reasonable beer, but it gets packed after work on Fridays.

Rocco's is the other place you saw, in Presidential Towers. It pretty much sucks..went there after the Bears preseason game a few weeks ago and it was just beat.

The Snuggery is the sports bar in Union Station. It's really small.

sas1974
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Dylan's seems like it would be an alright place to watch a game. I've eaten lunch there, but never watched a game. I think the other sports bar you are referring to is the one in Presidential Towers. I haven't heard too many good things about that place. And the Snuggery in US probably isn't an ideal place to watch a game. The folks that hang out in the train station are a short step above those that hang out at Greyhound Stations in my book.

Madvora
10-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Madvora, you were right in the glorious West Loop, where I live and work!

Dylan's usually has a lot of Sox fans in it. Great eats and reasonable beer, but it gets packed after work on Fridays.

Rocco's is the other place you saw, in Presidential Towers. It pretty much sucks..went there after the Bears preseason game a few weeks ago and it was just beat.

The Snuggery is the sports bar in Union Station. It's really small.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I think I'm going to have to go to Dylans. I don't have any other choice. I get out of work at 5:00 and I'm going to have to bust my ass to be able to catch just the last half hour or hour of the game on tv. It seems to be the closest place.

anti-cub
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
sorry was out of office. Wabash tap doesn't have alot of tables unfortunately, But at least it was 100% Sox fans, or it seemed that way cause there was nothing to cheer about for the other team. The Tap is just south of Roosevelt across from Jewel 12?? s. wabash.

Soxzilla
10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I'll probably check out Wabash Tap on Friday. I would normally go home, but since I don't get out of class till 1:45 I'd be missing a good hour of the game.

I won't have any trouble getting in on Friday since I'm only 20 right? I mean, I'd understand if they wouldn't let me since I won't be guzzling the brews.:cool:

But if there is no trouble, I will freakin' be there. How are we going to know each other?

anti-cub
10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Not sure how strict they with under 21. i'm be sporting my 2005 White Sox Division Champion hat (not locker room) and probably grey whitesox t-shirt.

daveeym
10-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I'd be able to get to Monk's by 3:30 if that turns into the plan.

Soxzilla
10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
If I can get in. I'll have my blue illini hat I always wear, I'll see if I can snag one of my brothers' jerseys as well.

Sox of White
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I think I'll be headed to Wabash Tap too, assuming I can get in also, unless someone convinces me to go to Monk's or something. I'll be in my WSI shirt and 1983 SOX hat.

sti3
10-06-2005, 12:23 AM
You people disgust me. This is like stealing from the companies who make it possible for you to eat every day! Have you ever heard of INTEGRITY?

daveeym
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
You people disgust me. This is like stealing from the companies who make it possible for you to eat every day! Have you ever heard of INTEGRITY?:?:

jenn2080
10-06-2005, 11:56 AM

That was my suggestion to was Wabash Tap. The other 2 were Dylans on Clinton and South Loop Club.

GO WHITESOX!

jenn2080
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Address?

Wabash south of Roosevelt. you can take the train to the Roosevelt stop. It is a decent size bar too!

Konerkoholic
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Do any of these places let in people under 21?

kittle42
10-06-2005, 12:04 PM
You people disgust me. This is like stealing from the companies who make it possible for you to eat every day! Have you ever heard of INTEGRITY?

Teal is your friend.

jenn2080
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Munks

scottjanssens
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I might do Monks or I might do Big Downtown. Monks is half a mile away and I'm not sure how much of the game I'll be willing to miss while in transit.

kittle42
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Are we going to reach a consensus in this thread at some point?

Sox of White
10-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Are we going to reach a consensus in this thread at some point?

I was wondering that too.

daveeym
10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
My vote is Monks (Munks) big enough, most central location and free peanuts will make it feel like we're at the game.

whitesoxwilkes
10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll say Monk's as well. I'm such a man of conviction.

scottjanssens
10-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Id say Monks, but I'm not certain I'll go. I definitely won't be going to Wabash. that's just too far from my office. Game might be over by the time I get there.

Hangar18
10-06-2005, 01:14 PM
S&B sucks! I used to work across the street and it just gets too crowded.
Since I didn't have tickets to yesterday's game and couldn't bear not seeing the game, I walked over to Dugan's on Halsted since it's only a couple blocks from my office. The place was basically deserted but they have a Sox flag flying outside. Lots of TV's and seating.

I hang out at Dugans also! That SOX flag you see ........ I kindly "reminded" them who drinks the beers in there. Lot of Sox fans live in the area and hang out there ...... good place

kittle42
10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Monk's it is for me, then.

daveeym
10-06-2005, 02:40 PM
And for you under 21 peeps looking to join in, I can't guarantee it, but being in the loop and being a restaurant/bar and an early game I'd imagine they'd only card if you ordered an alcoholic beverage. But again, I can't guarentee it.

billnahorodny
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I hang out at Dugans also! That SOX flag you see ........ I kindly "reminded" them who drinks the beers in there. Lot of Sox fans live in the area and hang out there ...... good place

I thought that I remembered a discussion here about the flag at Dugan's. There were a few other creeps in business casual like me who snuck out of their offices rooting for the sox. But the place was basically deserted. However, the girl behind the bar was definitely a flub fan and I could hear her sympathetically talking to some old man in flub hat about how good this is for Chicago.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
And for you under 21 peeps looking to join in, I can't guarantee it, but being in the loop and being a restaurant/bar and an early game I'd imagine they'd only card if you ordered an alcoholic beverage. But again, I can't guarentee it.

Monks is a resturant and bar so "all you youngsters out there" should have no problem but you better call first and confirm. You don't to be like those Sox fans who camped out over night for tickets.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59180

http://www.utexas.edu/research/pasp/images/doh.jpg

miker
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Shoot, kind of sucks that I'm not working downtown anymore.

Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the game.

spiffie
10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
This seems like the sort of thing that this whole "poll" function was created for ;)

Anyone thinking of more South Loop area locales to watch the game at? A few of us from Columbia are going to be heading somewhere to watch the game, and would like to be around as many other Sox fans as possible. I know someone mentioned South Loop Club...anyone else in that neck of the woods heading out to watch Game 3 thinking of SLC or Hackney's or Kasey's or Monday's or anywhere else not mentioned?

ChicagoHoosier
10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
This seems like the sort of thing that this whole "poll" function was created for ;)

Anyone want to create a poll just to get an idea of how many people will be going where?

I'd be more interested in a Bucktown/Wicker Park or Lincoln Park poll, but just still figuring out exactly what to do tomorrow for the game.

SOXintheBURGH
10-06-2005, 03:18 PM
We just got a new HD Big Screen at my sister's place, and I'll be holding down the fort this weekend.

Burgh's BBBQ-
The extra B stands for BYOBB.

Soxzilla
10-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I just called Wabash Tap and you can't get into the bar if your not 21. So scratch that idea.

EDIT - Anyone can get into Monk's, they just can't sit at the bar. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to make another thread with a poll.

daveeym
10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I just called Wabash Tap and you can't get into the bar if your not 21. So scratch that idea.

EDIT - Anyone can get into Monk's, they just can't sit at the bar. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to make another thread with a poll. Whoever's the first one to get there save a kiddie table for the yunguns. Milk and cookies will be served. :cool:

havelj
10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I was at Monk's the day of the AL Central clincher and it was outstanding! That is where I'll be!

MONK'S

http://scd.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1380958303

Soxzilla
10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Whoever's the first one to get there save a kiddie table for the yunguns. Milk and cookies will be served. :cool:

Bastard.:cool:

Funny thing is, I'll be at the milk and cookies table for the rest of my life! So bite me!:gulp: (root beer, of course)