PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Game Two Letdown

elrod
10-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Two keys to Game Two

1. Buehrle needs to have a solid first inning the way Contreras did. Keep the focus like he did in Cleveland. Get ahead of the hitters and keep pounding them inside on the inside corner. Don't try the changeup outside too much - the Red Sox hitters will adjust and take him opposite field. Cutter, cutter and cutter.

2. Small ball on offense. David Wells is one of the best big-game pitchers in baseball. But he is a fatass. Bunt for singles, bunt for sacrifices, do all the little things to keep the runners moving. He doesn't walk people so don't wait until you're behind in the count. Jump on him early in the count (with a bunt or hit) and keep running while on the basepath. We won't beat Boomer with the longball. He is no Matt Clement. So lets do what Pods did in the first inning.

The Red Sox will be utterly unfazed by Game One. They've bounced back from blowouts before with no problem. Hopefully, the White Sox will play Game Two as if they had lost the first one 5-4 and not won 14-2.

cburns
10-05-2005, 02:41 AM
To me the White Sox are facing the same thing the Red Sox are facing...a soft tossing lefty. Wells isn't going to walk many people, you just have to hope he isn't on top of his game, and the pitches we get to hit are going to be hit hard.

BNLSox
10-05-2005, 02:45 AM
yep nothing matters except that days game... focus on getting tons of singles off of wells and getting his pitch count up. don't give them any free outs.

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 09:35 AM
our inspiration during the misinformed choke a few weeks back ...

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

... so why not keep him in mind as we mow down Boomer and these Red Sox.

Ramming Speed!!!!

Sad
10-05-2005, 09:38 AM
1. Get em on
2. Get em over
3. Get em in

10-05-2005, 09:49 AM
I was at the Wells/Buherle matchup at Fenway....we hit him pretty good....they just hit Buherle better that night, and they got to our bullpen too!

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
It's my belief that you don't have let downs in the post season.

This isn't Notre Dame playing boston college after beating FSU.

You can have another team come in and kick the crap out of you, but it's not for lack of focus. It's not like the white sox win this thing every year so they feel like they're going to coast after one win. Every post season game is huge and every player knows it... whether you're up 3 games to none, or up 1-0. I'm not worried about a letdown. The only thing i'd be worried about is boston coming out on fire.

MsSoxVixen22
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Regarding Wells....work him hard and put him away wet!

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
The Red Sox will be utterly unfazed by Game One. They've bounced back from blowouts before with no problem. Hopefully, the White Sox will play Game Two as if they had lost the first one 5-4 and not won 14-2.

Agreed that the Sox need to treat this game as a must-win situation. The Sox need to go into Boston for game 3 with a 2-0 lead. Keep the home field advantage. Buehrle needs to step up and prove he is a bonafide ACE. And he will. I stated in a different thread, the Sox need to get to Wells on his bender. That is his out pitch. Don't let him establish that pitch. If he can't get it over for strikes as Clement couldn't get the slider over for strikes, hammer that 87 mph batting practice fastball. If he does establish the curve, it COULD be a long day for the Sox.

The only disagreement I have is that no matter what team you are, champs or not, when you get your asses handed to you as they did yesterday, you don't take it lightly. They weren't unfazed. They took notice. Everyone dogged the Sox for a weak offense, and even fatass John Kruk made note "You throw mistake pitches to the Sox hitters, they will hurt you." The Sox aren't just about pitching and defense. They can score runs with the best of them. The Red Sox took notice and WILL bounce back. It's up to the Sox to respond, again, by winning game 2 and head into Boston needing only one win to take the ALDS.

The other thing to consider is that the Sox scored 8 runs off of Clement and 6 off of the bullpen. There is no reason why they cannot do the same today. The Red Sox bullpen is vulnerable. Exploit it!

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Historically, Buehrle hasn't been very good against the Red Sox. Historically, Jose Contreras hasn't been very good against the Red Sox, either, so that tells you how significant that stuff is. Every game starts 0-0.

Offense:

As has been pointed out, Wells is not going to give away many free passes. But you still have to make him throw strikes. If they can get his pitch count up and get into that bullpen, the advantage shifts to our favor. Pitchers that rely on curveballs usually take an inning or two to get the feel for the strike zone and Wells is no different. Don't let him get settled in. Get to him early.

Wells has a pretty good move to first, IIRC, so Pods is going to have a tough time stealing second. But like most lefties, it's a lot easier stealing third. I think doing that in the first inning yesterday was the fuse that got the firecracker lit. The Red Sox know they have to keep the Sox from running wild on the bases.

Wells has become a groundball pitcher over the last few years, and the Red Sox defense will make mistakes if we can put pressure on them. Bunts that Wells has to field can lead to big errors that spark big innings. Hit and run. Stay out of the DP.

Defense:

They need to keep Damon and Renteria off the bases. Ortiz and Ramirez aren't going to beat you hitting solo HR. The Red Sox had 9 hits yesterday, but couldn't string them together, stranding 7 of them. That's the key. Keep stranding those runners.

No free passes. Contreras had none again yesterday. That's a key to keeping out of a big inning.

wdelaney72
10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Great posts, I agree. This will NOT be an easy game. Wells IS a good pitcher. The most impressive thing about yesterday was Contreras holding a VERY good offense to 2 runs. Hopefully, Buehrle pitches the inside corner and stays away from the walks. This team will destroy us if they get free passes. No walks and more manufacturing of runs and I like our chances.

Go get 'em Mark.

slavko
10-05-2005, 12:57 PM
There's a tendency for a team to have trouble scoring runs in the game after an offensive blowout. As stated earlier, DW is a guy you want to hit singles off of, he'll wear you out if you swing for the fences. So...let's hope MB can hold them in check until our superior bullpen can take over.

Their big comeback of last year may actually work against them if it gives them the idea that they can turn it on at will. They can't. No one can. I hope for a LOW scoring game.

rm0824
10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Wells doesn't walk many, neither does Mark.

Wells is also 10-3 in his career in the post-season.

Tonight will not be easy. The Red Sox will either play like yesterday never happened or they will play with a chip on their shoulder.

Either way, the WHITE Sox have to keep the momentum in their favor, because we know how well Boston plays in Fenway.

Don't let us down Mark.

Maybe he can leave a few cheeseburgers on the mound for Wells, too. Although, that may not help.

Iwritecode
10-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Something interesting from the Kass article today:

The White Sox grounds crew must have soaked the dirt in front of home plate for days. It never dried out the entire game. It was a wallow--perfect for bunting. And I hope it's like that on Wednesday, for Boston's pitcher, big David Wells and his tender lower back. I want them to bunt him crazy and force him to lumber down off the mound like some fleshy tow truck stuck in first gear until those gears burn.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else and would have never known it had he not pointed it out.

I luv homefield advantage. :cool:

Mickster
10-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Something interesting from the Kass article today:

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else and would have never known it had he not pointed it out.

I luv homefield advantage. :cool:

I believe it was Iguchi's bunt that was laid down right in front of home plate and did not move even 1 foot before Varitek threw him out. If we only played in a dome and could play with the HVAC system during the game.... :redneck

hawkjt
10-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Defintely need to cut down our swings cuz with the wind tunnel ,heat and humidity tonite line drives will find the seats - just like yesterday. Go the other way and certainly bunt them early and often. Contact hitting will be the rule of the day on both sides cuz Burls will be hit often . Hope he can keep it on the ground and in the park. It could be 14- 12 today.

I say white sox 6-4 . Go sox.

CYGarland20
10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Agreed that the Sox need to treat this game as a must-win situation. The Sox need to go into Boston for game 3 with a 2-0 lead. Keep the home field advantage. Buehrle needs to step up and prove he is a bonafide ACE. I agree this game is VERY important. You don't want to go into Boston w/ a chance for them to win the series. We need to get to Wells early and often, and don't let him get into a groove. I'm not very confident that Buerhle can hold Boston's offense to less than 3 runs in 6 innings, as they usually pound pitcher's w/ mediocre fastballs. If Buerhle is to be successful, he has to get his Curve and Change over for strikes, if not it could be a long night.........IMO, Our offense has to step up again tonite, and put at least 5 on the board if were going to win. I think they will. :cool:

Madvora
10-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Getting to the bullpen is crucial. We got in there pretty early yesterday, all we have to do is keep wearing them out and weakening them. This isn't just one game you are playing here. You have to think about the whole series.

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
It seems i'm in the minority here. I'm very confident in buehrle going today. More confident than with contreras yesterday. I feel mark is going to play very well.

Heffalump
10-05-2005, 04:44 PM
It seems i'm in the minority here. I'm very confident in buehrle going today. More confident than with contreras yesterday. I feel mark is going to play very well.

I agree. Buehrle was very sharp in his last few starts and I believe that he will step forward tonight and show the National audience (God, do I hate Chris Berman) why we already know he is one of the best lefties in the game.

As someone else mentioned, I think the key for the Sox offense is to get to Wells early and don't let him establish the curveball. Wear him down and get into their very weak bullpen. If Wells is locating his curve, his mediocre fastball becomes very effective and it could be a quiet night for Sox hitters.

My prediction: 6-2 WHITE Sox.

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I agree. Buehrle was very sharp in his last few starts and I believe that he will step forward tonight and show the National audience (God, do I hate Chris Berman) why we already know he is one of the best lefties in the game.

As someone else mentioned, I think the key for the Sox offense is to get to Wells early and don't let him establish the curveball. Wear him down and get into their very weak bullpen. If Wells is locating his curve, his mediocre fastball becomes very effective and it could be a quiet night for Sox hitters.

My prediction: 6-2 WHITE Sox.

Some other things that haven't been mentioned much about mark's "slump":
1. It came at a time when his focus was down, the huge lead and what not, I think made him not concentrate as hard.
2. Mark is a ground ball pitcher. And in the second half pablo, willie, blum and the gang got a bunch of playing time and made too many errors.... but the 'A' team is out here for this, and the rest of the games, and will make the plays

chopperjc
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Mark IS a big game pitcher. The pitching staff feeds off each other. Mark sees Jose pitch like the total stud he is and Mark is going to feed off that. Once again will we hit enough? The boys look loose so I think they will hit that Fat piece of garbage. On top of which we need to run them out of the ballpark. Run on every outfielder they have as well as Varitek. We should NEVER have a single to center, Damon could not throw me out let alone somebody actually in shape. I have posted it before but this is special. The team is well.... a team. We are not the Yankees board room or the Red Sox idiots, we are Ozzie's idiots and they take there cue from him. No worries I feel good about tonight and the whole series.:bandance:

For anyone nervous just sit back relax and enjoy. I have never experienced this kind of sports fun in my life, (well ok bears in 85) but not from my baseball team.