PDA

View Full Version : letter to gene wojciechowski

Domeshot17
10-05-2005, 01:03 AM
after reading this article, and actually being insulted about the importance of the game, not the series, but this game, I wrote the ESPN writer this letter, his email is attached to the story, so I encourage you guys to write as well, let him know we are not fools, we know we have not won the war yet!
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2181188

While I am sure you get tons of emails every day, I want to ask you a question reguarding your article about the White Sox winning nothing yet. I am in complete agreement with most of what was said, it is game 1 of a 5 game series. However, what semi bothers me is if the roles were reversed, and the Red Sox won 14-2, would we read the same article, or one highlighting the dominance of the Red Sox? I am from Chicago, and I among many in the city feel the White Sox did not get the respect they deserved with their play. I do not expect the the White Sox to score 14 tommrow.

What I think was seen in this game was this is not last years Red Sox. They are Vulnerable. They are as good as every team in the AL playoffs, I personally think if you played this 100 times, no one team would win more than 30 times. However, I do think it showed there is no more Pedro, no more Derek Lowe, the Savior being turned too is a rocky David Wells, who has a big game rep, so does Orlando Hernandez, it does not mean at their ages, and diminishing abilities, they still will be AS DOMINATING. When David Ortiz assumed Podsednik had caught his 8th inning double, and looked to his dugout as if he flew out, I think it was a big sign the Red Sox Realized they were Human.

I have no disbelief whatsoever that some, not all, but some of the Red Sox Players thought they would come in here, steam roll the White Sox, be ready for the ALCS in 3. After Matt Clement left, the Sox tagged 6 more onto the broken bullpen. They did it with the long ball, but they set it up with what is referred to as ozzie ball or smart ball or small ball. Podsednik got on. Iguchi moved him over, Stole Third. Rowand singles later, 2 run inning. Take away all the home runs, and count that inning, and willie harris RBI Single, and Good pitching and Defense just beat GREAT hitting. That is why I feel the term Fluke was used incorrectly. Yes, I understand it is hard to say take away 11 runs and the game doesnt change, but my point is the Chicago style of play set up the long ball. They did what they have done all season, took advantage of other teams mistakes, and limited their own.

I know as a sports writer you do your best to eliminate the so called east coast bias. However, would Iguchi's play have been called unconventional if Robinson Cano fired it to AROD, or would it have been called heads up, which it was. Iguchi handled the hot shot and saw Millar not hustling to 3rd right away, and got the lead runner. He prevented the big inning, and put confidence back into his starter. Jermaine Dye, and Almost and amazing Catch by Aaron Rowand in the late innings showed nationally what we have seen all year. We play hard, we make the tough plays as well as the routine plays, and we play heads up. The White Sox did not luck into a win, and it was not a fluke. They out hit, our pitched, our defended, and out thank the Boston Red Sox. This does not mean it will happen tommrow, but do not take away credit where credit is due, because if Boston had pounded this game out, it would have been dominance, not a fluke. Would you be warning Red Sox Fans not to celebrate yet, they havent proven anything yet? If you look at the Core of Chicago Fans, we all have been saying the same thing, Enjoy this win until midnight, and then be ready for game 2, because we won the first battle, but the war is ongoing.

Thank you for your time in reading this-

Tony Arbogast

Banix12
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
I like the sentiment of the letter but it's way too long. If you haven't figured out from the writer's article, he is a fairly lazy person.

You have to keep these things short and sweet, something that can be read in about 30 seconds. Post his response here if he writes you back, though I doubt he finishes it and just trashes it.

The east coast bias thing doesn't have much to do with this. Though he is a cub fan and maybe that has something to do with it. If I recall he has been trying to sell some cub book most of this year.

doublem23
10-05-2005, 01:43 AM
I agree with Banix. All you needed to write was:

Dear Gene,

The Cubs suck. Get over it.

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Typical Cubdom ignorance....

The Wimperoo
10-05-2005, 08:17 AM
If no team would win more than 30 times out of 100, who would win the other 40 games. :dunno:

Flight #24
10-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Wait - Gene Wojokrziewickdski, the same guy who wrote a day by day depiction of the Flubs playoff season, decides that a big White Sox win is reason to write a column that game 1 victories mean nothing?

Shocking.......

Actually, the only shocking part is that that article didn't make p1 of the Cubune sports section. And that's no teal.

peeonwrigley
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
If no team would win more than 30 times out of 100, who would win the other 40 games. :dunno:

I think he meant of the 4 in the AL post season

TDog
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I think you're overreacting, Domeshot. After I read your letter, I found the column more objective than I expected. As long as your letter is, I doubt the columnist will read beyond your first spelling error.

Really, he may be right that the Red Sox won't be doomed by a first-game loss. The team has different pitching this year, but it still has recent memories of incredible comeback success.

On the other hand, the columnist fails to take into consideration the importance of the win to the White Sox. A White Sox win has to mean more to the White Sox than a Red Sox loss means to the Red Sox. The White Sox CAN win in the postseason, it seems. I'm sure there were fans who doubted that. With a tough loss Tuesday, there might be players doubting that as well.

fincher
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Even though Gene works for ESPN, he lives here. I agree he should have written more about the importance of the win to the White Sox but it was overall a decent article.

Perhaps he will acknowledge as much when the White Sox take Game 2. He might not have any choice, too.

ilsox7
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
I thought the article was fine on most levels. But what annoys me are things like this:

And minutes later, he showed zero emotion when Kevin Millar drove in a pair of runs with a double to right, cutting the White Sox's lead to 6-2.

How difficult is it to report the facts correctly? The first run came in on a wild pitch, dumbass.

scottjanssens
10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes yesterday's win mean nothing other than the Sox now need to only win two before the Red Sox win three.