PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sorry Paulie

fquaye149
10-05-2005, 12:46 AM
I've been hard on Paulie through the rougher summer months, and maybe rightly so. But that's irrelevant. He had a hell of a game offensively and defensively and he has been a great member of this team.

So I'm doing what very few people ever do: saying Sorry Paulie...this team is our team through and through. I was wrong about you and I'm goddamn glad I was.

JB98
10-05-2005, 01:02 AM
LOL. As chief aPaulogist, I welcome you to the Konerko Fan Club. :D:

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm with fquaye on this one. I have been hard on GIDPK all year but I am starting to realize how important he is to this lineup. I still think he is not the best guy in the clubhouse, but I am from the do not resign PK at all to the maybe we can keep PK on this team. We'll see how all October goes till I really decide.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
As an infamous Konerko Kritic, I must and do acknowledge that his bat has played a massive role in keeping the U.S.S. White Sox afloat in the second half, and had a great June as well. His 2005 monthly splits:

April: .218 AVG, .320 OBP, .494 SLG, .814 OPS
May: .227 AVG, .350 OBP, .453 SLG, .783 OPS
June: .293 AVG, .387 OBP, .543 SLG, .930 OPS
July: .315 AVG, .388 OBP, .500 SLG, .888 OPS
August: .300 AVG, .369 OBP, .600 SLG, .969 OPS
September: .327 AVG, .425 OBP, .614 SLG, 1.039 OPS
October (6 ABs): .500 AVG, .429 OBP, .667 SLG, 1.096 OPS
Whole season: .283 AVG, .375 OBP, .534 SLG, .909 OPS

He had a horrible April and May, but steadily and significantly improved his numbers as the season progressed. This has been his best power season of his career. He missed his 2004 career high in HRs by one. This was his first season with an OPS over .900 and his third 100-RBI season in the last four. His .283 AVG is his best since 2002. He also set career highs in total bases, walks, intentional walks, runs, strikeouts, fly balls, pitches per plate appearance and OBP; and he set full-season career lows in ground balls and GIDPs (in fairness, he benefitted from good baserunners batting in front of him this year).

For this, and for apparently continuing his months-long hot streak into the playoffs, all White Sox fans owe him a hearty thanks. For two thirds of the season, he has been the cleanup hitter the Sox have needed. He has earned every penny of his salary this year.
:supernana:

However, I still think that the better he performs in the playoffs, the more money he will command on the open market. Furthermore, Kenny Williams is not dumb. If he really thought PK was in his long-term plans for the team, he would have locked him up long ago while he still had exclusive negotiating rights. Therefore, there are two ways Konerko can return to the Sox in 2006:

1. Paulie decides to accept a below-market contract (either by signing a new multi-year deal or by accepting arbitration) to stay with the World Champion Chicago White Sox; or

2. The White Sox outbid the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets, and perhaps the Dodgers and Angels, for his services.

If what I've seen since June continues deep into October, for the Sox' sake I hope for #1.

ja1022
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I still think he is not the best guy in the clubhouse

I've watched with bewildered amusement, posters get in line to slam Konerko all year long. Besides people here at WSI, who else says he's so damn bad in the clubhouse? Has anybody that posts here actually ever been in the clubhouse?

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I've watched with bewildered amusement, posters get in line to slam Konerko all year long. Besides people here at WSI, who else says he's so damn bad in the clubhouse? Has anybody that posts here actually ever been in the clubhouse?Furthermore, Ozzie and Kenny keep saying he's a clubhouse leader. I'll take their word for it over people inferring stuff from comments reported in the media.

Jjav829
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
I've watched with bewildered amusement, posters get in line to slam Konerko all year long. Besides people here at WSI, who else says he's so damn bad in the clubhouse? Has anybody that posts here actually ever been in the clubhouse?

Nope. But we've read a few quotes from him and that's just as good as being in the clubhouse everyday, right? :rolleyes:

ja1022
10-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Furthermore, Ozzie and Kenny keep saying he's a clubhouse leader.

Oh, what the hell do they know?

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 10:40 AM

I'm just saying from some of the quotes in the media he just doesn't appear always to be with the team on certain issues.

But then again these quotes are coming from the Tribune and Sun-Times, so what do I know?

fquaye149
10-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Nope. But we've read a few quotes from him and that's just as good as being in the clubhouse everyday, right? :rolleyes:

Look: can we give this namecalling **** a rest? It hasn't come up in months, and with good reason. Anyway that certainly wasn't the point of this thread.

GO WHITE SOX!

Jjav829
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Look: can we give this namecalling **** a rest? It hasn't come up in months, and with good reason. Anyway that certainly wasn't the point of this thread.

GO WHITE SOX!

Huh? What namecalling? I didn't call anyone any name. :?:

fquaye149
10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Huh? What namecalling? I didn't call anyone any name. :?:

Not you specifically but everyone in this thread.... here we go again with the

"Paul's a clubhouse cancer"
"how do you know?"
"how do you not know?"
"you're a paulie hater!"
"you're a fogidpk!"
"don't call me a fogidpk!"
"don't call me a paulie hater!"
"don't call me a dark cloud!"
"don't call me a pollyanna!"

You know the song and dance as well as I :rolleyes:

don't play innocent:wink:

Soxzilla
10-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Simmer down now, children.

I'm exactly sure if I'm an aPaulogist or not, but I'd still like to apolgozie to Konerko for even thinking we could do anything without him in the lineup. He is OUR GUY!

I hope we resign him.

Then make a trade for Helton so Paulie can DH, if Frank isn't able to play that is.

harwar
10-05-2005, 03:19 PM
One thing is for sure.I not only don't worry when Konerko is coming up,i want him in there with the game on the line.
I just recently noticed that i felt this way.

my5thbench
10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I think of him as a team leader & a stand up guy...seems he speaks

publicly rather intelligently to me & I love seeing him up there when the

games on the line, he ain't Frank but not many are & who has a better

glove at the 1st sack?