PDA

View Full Version : The BoSox will lose game #2. because......>>>>

bruce1
10-05-2005, 12:45 AM
After being stomped 14-2 today, I do not see the BoSox wining the second game. A big reason is that the ESPN staff pointed out that every time Boston was hammered in a game, in post season, in the playoffs, they always have won the next game. Because of this, I am now going to predict this will not happen! Their done IMO.

Sox Win game #2 !

Bruce1
(Kreskin?)
:D:

Banix12
10-05-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't get into predictions often and I won't make on here. I will say though if there is any game I am kinda worried about losing in this series it's tomorrows. Frankly the games in Boston don't scare me so much, but earlier this season Boston seemed to have Buehrle's number.

bruce1
10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
..............but earlier this season Boston seemed to have Buehrle's number.

that was then, this is now!
:smile:

A. Cavatica
10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
...we will knock out David Wells early. Francona is taking a pounding in Boston tonight for his slow hook with Clement, and I think he'll be a little more careful with Wells. The Red Sox will burn through the rest of their bullpen, and we'll be in great shape going into Game 3.

Banix12
10-05-2005, 12:59 AM

Certainly, and he did face them during his little slump as I recall but I still at least have just a bit of concern. Still I hope for the best, that being a 1:30 minute shutout

bruce1
10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
:thankgod

It's hammer time, don't let them up for air!

OzzieBall2004
10-05-2005, 01:00 AM

TRUE - Buehrle was struggling then....if you saw him pitch Friday, he isnt't struggling anymore.....

Mark has never pitched in a bigger game that tomorrow. He has a chance to put the foot on the defending champs throat.

A win tomorrow and we advance. Book it.

A loss and we're at square one without homefield.

Nothing but quality starts from EVERYONE since 9/22.

I like our chances.

bruce1
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Game #2

CWS: 5
BOS: 2

jabrch
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't get into predictions often and I won't make on here. I will say though if there is any game I am kinda worried about losing in this series it's tomorrows. Frankly the games in Boston don't scare me so much, but earlier this season Boston seemed to have Buehrle's number.

Agreed - Garcia vs Wakefield in a day game in Fenway and then Garland vs the shell of a man formerly known as Shilling. I like our chances. This is why I wanted us to knock Cleveland out. Boston is a great first round opponent for us.

Chicago
10-05-2005, 01:11 AM
another blowout... and wells gets ejected after the second inning after it is revealed that he is lathering up his arms. This is the second shame in his athletic career... 1st being the special olympics back in 1994

Hagan
10-05-2005, 01:21 AM
david wells is an overrated pitcher. We are going to hit, steal, and beat him into the ground.

Banix12
10-05-2005, 01:27 AM
david wells is an overrated pitcher. We are going to hit, steal, and beat him into the ground.

Both Podsednik and Iguchi should be bunting for hits early in the game. Make that Fat Boy run and maybe his back problems start popping up again.

Deuce
10-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Don't fool yourselves, guys. There is only one reason why the Red Sox are going to lose Game 2...

:XL

"Hey, why is everyone looking at me."

Bring on the fat man!

Deuce

nodiggity59
10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Way too much Karma on our side after what Wells did in 2001.

Still, even if we had lost today, Game 2 is the defining game of the series.

balke
10-05-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm conflicted.

I remember that sick lefty lineup having its way with Buehrle early in the year. And although I hate Wells, he is someone who can have the game of his life out of nowhere, because when it comes down to it he's pretty tough in tight situations.

I hope Mark can keep the Bosox bats quiet, but this is one game I'm thinking Boston might have the advantage in. Going from Damon to Ortiz to Manny to Varitek just to have Nixon waiting for Mark will make things difficult. Doesn't Renteria hit lefties well too? Could be a rough day pitching wise. "Prove me wrong kids, PROVE ME WRONG."

Chisox003
10-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Both Podsednik and Iguchi should be bunting for hits early in the game. Make that Fat Boy run and maybe his back problems start popping up again.
Yes, Game 2 should be the exact opposite of game 1.

Tuesday we mashed, Wednesday we play some smartball

S05X

TomParrish79
10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
i just hope we come out fired up and dont show up flat

longshot7
10-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Well, since today's prediction was pretty much on, I'll make one for tomorrow's:

Sox 5, Red Sox 4 - Mark will have trouble early, but smallball will keep us in the game and Joe Crede will hit a double to go up in the 7th. Book it.

pudge
10-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Did you hear Gammons on Baseball Tonight reciting Boston's past comebacks from 0-2 in ALDS and 0-3 in ALCS? If he's banking on that, good luck buddy. We rock Wakefield, so Boston better pray for a W tomorrow.

Banix12
10-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Did you hear Gammons on Baseball Tonight reciting Boston's past comebacks from 0-2 in ALDS and 0-3 in ALCS? If he's banking on that, good luck buddy. We rock Wakefield, so Boston better pray for a W tomorrow.

Yup, he like others seem to be forgetting how much more dominant the Boston pitching staff was back then. They got carried by Pedro, Shilling, Lowe, and Foulke. One is injured, two are gone, and shilling seems to be a shell of his former self.

Domeshot17
10-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Dont take Boston for Granted. Ozzie made a great point in his post game confrence, we faced the best pitching in the league all season with Cleveland Minnesota and Detroit. While no one in the post season holds a candle to Santana ( maybe Colon, but he is hittable ) we have been well prepared for the off season. What I do like is Buehlre has a chance to do what Jose did tonight. Buehlre has a very high opponents average, they will hit him. The Key is to make those 7-9 hits scattered, limit the walks, and keep runners off base infront of Ortiz. He is going to want to come back big tonight, so he will be swinging, same with Manny, keep making them chase pitcher's pitches. The Key really is not stopping Ortiz and Manny, as much as it is keeping runners off infront of them. A solo home run hurts a lot less then a 3 run shot. That is Buehlre's game. I think we will see a good matchup of tutor vs tutee ( spelling??? ), and I think we will use Well's flaws against him. Weak defensively, works fast, but can be stolen off of, and he is not the david wells that dominated 5 years ago the yankees, he is crafty, but he is on a very Greg Maddux level now, age, and ANOTHER 40 pounds, has hit him.

PeteWard
10-05-2005, 04:10 AM
i just hope we come out fired up and dont show up flat

:o:

You are joking right?

gobears1987
10-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't get into predictions often and I won't make on here. I will say though if there is any game I am kinda worried about losing in this series it's tomorrows. Frankly the games in Boston don't scare me so much, but earlier this season Boston seemed to have Buehrle's number.Yeah and they also used to have Contreras's number, but look what that got them. Besides, we are facing XL.

gobears1987
10-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Well, since today's prediction was pretty much on, I'll make one for tomorrow's:

Sox 5, Red Sox 4 - Mark will have trouble early, but smallball will keep us in the game and Joe Crede will hit a double to go up in the 7th. Book it.
I wish Hawk was announcing so I could here:
JOE CREEEEEEEDE

Kuzman
10-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I just worry about how the Sox (past and present) are after they score 10+ runs. 1r 3h 1e That was the typical box score after any blowout for the past couple years.

Also I hope they don't try and swing for the fences since thats all they got yesterday. I.E. The game after the 'JOE CREDE' walkoff against the Indians. What did they have like 20 some pop ups?

Get back to playing smart ball boys, and don't let those dingers get to you!

5-2 White Sox over Boston

elrod
10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, let's go back and look at the last few times Boston got shelled in the playoffs. What they do the next game?

The last times the Red Sox lost by 5 or more runs:
2004 ALCS Game Three, lost 19-8. Next day, Derek Lowe gives up 4 runs in 5+ innings, in line to take the loss until Rivera blows the lead in the 9th. Red Sox win in extras and the rest is history.

1999 ALDS Game Two, lost 11-1 in Cleveland (The Indians won Game One as well). In Game Three in Boston, Ramon Martinez shuts down the Indians, giving up 2 runs in 5+ innings and the Red Sox win 9-3. In Game Four, the Red Sox destroyed the Indians 23-7. In Game Five, back in Cleveland, the game is another slugfest, tied at 8 in the fourth when Pedro comes in an no-hits the Indians the rest of the way. Boston wins 12-8.

1999 ALCS Game Four, lost 9-2 to the Yankees. Next day they lost big again to the Yankees, 6-1. Kent Mercker gave up 2 runs in the 1st and that was enough for El Duque.

So, in only one of these cases did Boston "shut down" the opposition the next game, and that was Game Three in the 1999 ALDS against Cleveland, when Ramon Martinez pitched well for 5 innings and the bullpen held on. The game was actually tied at 3 in the 7th inning when Boston exploded for 6 runs - all with 2 outs. That series was a complete slugfest in both directions, however. In last year's ALCS Game Four, the Yankee actually put up enough runs against Derek Lowe to win, 4-3, until Rivera blew a save in the 9th.

In 2003, Game Two of the ALDS, the Red Sox actually lost 5-1, with all runs scored off Wakefield in the 2nd inning. Derek Lowe bounced back and pitched a gem in Game Three. Game Two wasn't really a blowout, and the Red Sox bats didn't exactly wake up in Game Three, as they won 3-1 in 11 innings.

Yes, the Red Sox could bounce back in Game Two today and score a ton off Buehrle. Yes, David Wells can definitely shut down the White Sox today. But when people speak as if the Red Sox make a habit of getting blown out and then coming back strong, they're overstating it a bit.

elrod
10-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I just worry about how the Sox (past and present) are after they score 10+ runs. 1r 3h 1e That was the typical box score after any blowout for the past couple years.

Also I hope they don't try and swing for the fences since thats all they got yesterday. I.E. The game after the 'JOE CREDE' walkoff against the Indians. What did they have like 20 some pop ups?

Get back to playing smart ball boys, and don't let those dingers get to you!

5-2 White Sox over Boston

That was Scott Elarton at his best. At the time, he was the hottest pitcher in the American League. I agree that the White Sox cannot swing for the fences off Wells, though.

wdelaney72
10-05-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm conflicted.

I remember that sick lefty lineup having its way with Buehrle early in the year. And although I hate Wells, he is someone who can have the game of his life out of nowhere, because when it comes down to it he's pretty tough in tight situations.

I hope Mark can keep the Bosox bats quiet, but this is one game I'm thinking Boston might have the advantage in. Going from Damon to Ortiz to Manny to Varitek just to have Nixon waiting for Mark will make things difficult. Doesn't Renteria hit lefties well too? Could be a rough day pitching wise. "Prove me wrong kids, PROVE ME WRONG."

I couldn't agree more. Buehrle is a great pitcher, but he has no post-season experience as a starter. Yes Wells is a complete jag and I hope he loses every time he takes the mound, but he is VERY GOOD post-season starting pitcher. This game will not be a layup. Mark has his work cut out for him.

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 09:07 AM
...we will knock out David Wells early. Francona is taking a pounding in Boston tonight for his slow hook with Clement, and I think he'll be a little more careful with Wells. The Red Sox will burn through the rest of their bullpen, and we'll be in great shape going into Game 3.

Today's game will be the same as game one. Clement couldn't locate his fastball and didn't have command of his out pitch, his nasty slider. Wells relies on his bender. If he doesn't command his curve and has to rely on his fastball for strikes, it wiwll be a short day for him.

On the other hand, if Wells is able to throw his curve for strikes and is mixing it in with his fastball, it will be a long day for the Sox...

Lets hope that the Sox can beat him much in the same way they beat Clement, early and OFTEN.

WSoxFanForever
10-05-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm worried about today. The "other" Sox are going to be out for blood after having drowned in ours yesterday plus Mark B. has only had that one good game against Cleveland this September. Granted, it was a huge game, but he was at his best early in the year. I don't know how Wells will do against us. I hope to continue our "small ball" and am thrilled to see Scott back in form. If we can just stick to our game, I think we can pull it out, but we need to continue to get timely hits and play great defense. I won't make a prediction, but you know where my heart is.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO WHITE SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!

elrod
10-05-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm worried about today. The "other" Sox are going to be out for blood after having drowned in ours yesterday plus Mark B. has only had that one good game against Cleveland this September. Granted, it was a huge game, but he was at his best early in the year. I don't know how Wells will do against us. I hope to continue our "small ball" and am thrilled to see Scott back in form. If we can just stick to our game, I think we can pull it out, but we need to continue to get timely hits and play great defense. I won't make a prediction, but you know where my heart is.

He also shut down the Twins when he went up against Liriano. Granted, that Twins lineup was probably the weakest we've seen all year. But Buehrle looked really sharp.

In September, Buehrle's ERA was 3.38. Three mediocre outings (@KC, LA and Cle) and three great outings (Det, Min, @Cle). Record was 2-1. His worst month was July, actually, when he had a 5.01 ERA and went 1-3.

Against Boston, Buehrle really struggled. He had a 6.23 ERA, with 22 hits and 5 walks in 13 innings.

Bobby Thigpen
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
:sahaf

"Infidel White Sox fans. David Wells is the greatest pitcher to ever don a major league baseball uniform. You have no hope of hitting his 1,000 mph fastball! With his bodybuilder like physique and stringent workout regiment he will be ready to mow down White Sox hitters with the greatest of ease. Boston has the greatest starting pitching rotation in the history of MLB, and will easily take this series in 3 games."

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 11:24 AM
"Infidel White Sox fans. David Wells is the greatest pitcher to ever don a major league baseball uniform. You have no hope of hitting his 1,000 mph fastball! With his bodybuilder like physique and stringent workout regiment he will be ready to mow down White Sox hitters with the greatest of ease. Boston has the greatest starting pitching rotation in the history of MLB, and will easily take this series in 3 games."

:tealtutor:

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSoxFanForever

elrod added
He also shut down the Twins when he went up against Liriano. Granted, that Twins lineup was probably the weakest we've seen all year. But Buehrle looked really sharp.

In September, Buehrle's ERA was 3.38. Three mediocre outings (@KC, LA and Cle) and three great outings (Det, Min, @Cle). Record was 2-1. His worst month was July, actually, when he had a 5.01 ERA and went 1-3.

Against Boston, Buehrle really struggled. He had a 6.23 ERA, with 22 hits and 5 walks in 13 innings.

NO PRISONERS!!

downstairs
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Well, I think predictions are silly, too. Especially mine, because I just... well... guess at them.

However, it should be noted that in the Game 1 predictions thread I predicted:

Sox: 13
BoSox: 11

...well, I was one off on the Sox and 9 off on the BoSox...

:cool:

soxrme
10-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Wells is a big game pitcher! But, most of his big wins come at home and not on the road. Mark can show today that he is a big time pitcher. We just have to play our game. It might still be hot tonight and the ball will fly out of there. Hopefully only for us. GO SOX:bandance:

santo=dorf
10-05-2005, 11:49 AM
For the lurking Red Cubs fans out there;

Buehrle @ home: 10-2, 2.49 ERA (Lot different than last year)
Wells on the Road: 7-5, 5.66 ERA

Iguana775
10-05-2005, 11:56 AM
:tealtutor:

did you not notice the Iraqi mis-information guy there? Whatever his name is. Don't think teal is required for him.

bruce1
10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Heck, I think all the Red Sox players are Fat and Slow!

bruce1
10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I just cannot see the Chi Sox loosing tonight!

russ99
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
This will be a tough game, and the fans need to give the team another lift tonight. No score predictions, but I have a feeling the Good Guys will win it close and late.

Chicken Dinner
10-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Wells is going down!!

Dan H
10-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Wells is a jerk, but I wouldn't underestimate him. He has been there and looked good against the Yankees his last start. And he thrives on being booed. Should be a good and close game.

doublem23
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I would really like to see either Scott Podsednik or Tadahito Iguchi lay down a bunt in the first inning and make Chubsy get off the mound.

I think we all know what I'm talking about... http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06080CHA2001.htm

Man, I did not remember that also being the Carlos Lee game.

Oldfellah
10-05-2005, 11:15 PM

Nice call Longshot, Can I take you to the races?!:bandance::bandance:

StockdaleForVeep
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
After being stomped 14-2 today, I do not see the BoSox wining the second game. A big reason is that the ESPN staff pointed out that every time Boston was hammered in a game, in post season, in the playoffs, they always have won the next game. Because of this, I am now going to predict this will not happen! Their done IMO.

Sox Win game #2 !

Bruce1
(Kreskin?)
:D:

They said the same thing about a team being down 0-3 in the playoffs and they were blown out the game before they started their 8 game world series win streak

bruce1
10-06-2005, 12:35 AM
I was most confident that the Sox would pull it off.