PDA

View Full Version : We finally have a true #1 pitcher

FanofBill
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
The closest of an ace we have is Mark Buerle.
Even though MB has been our winningest pitcher the past few years but I never thought he was a #1 pitcher. What started me to think that way about MB was about 2 yeas ago when he had 3 chances to win #20 and couldn't do it. And then during our loosing streak, we needed him to step up and he didn't.
I think a #1 pitcher should be able to step up when the pressure is on. Hopefully, MB will be able to do that during the playoffs.

To me a #1 is like Roger Clemens, Andy Pettit, Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson, who will step up and pitch in presssure situations such as stopping loosing streaks or getting a must win to avoid elimination.
A #1 is not necessarily someone who is a 20 games winner, just look at Esteban Loaza. I would venture out and say that Greg Maddux is not a #1 type pitcher, he win a lot of games because he has been around a long time but what is his record in the playoffs and world series?

Anyway, I am glad we have one now in Jose Contreras. I know it's only 1 game in the post season but he has been lights out and our stopper down the stretch. And just to think that I wanted him gone during the trading deadline. Sometimes the best trade is the one not made.

Go JC.

antitwins13
10-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Jose has stepped up big but I still think MB is our ace and if the Sox had to win one game he is who would be out there.

JB98
10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Jose has stepped up big but I still think MB is our ace and if the Sox had to win one game he is who would be out there.

I disagree. One thing is for damn sure: If there is a Game 5 in this series, I'm glad Jose will be the man to pitch it.

Right now, I feel as though we only have to take one of the next three. If it comes down to one game, Jose against Clement again, we will win it.

I have confidence in Buerhle, but not as much confidence as I have in Contreras.

Soxzilla
10-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I disagree. One thing is for damn sure: If there is a Game 5 in this series, I'm glad Jose will be the man to pitch it.

Right now, I feel as though we only have to take one of the next three. If it comes down to one game, Jose against Clement again, we will win it.

I have confidence in Buerhle, but not as much confidence as I have in Contreras.

Clement won't pitch game 5, if there is a game 5.

Vince
10-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I'd say we have two aces.

Contreras is a power ace. 95-97 mph fastballs and a nasty splitter, he can dominate batters, racking up strikeouts.

Buehrle is a finesse ace. Goes deep in the game, extremely durable, relies on keeping hitters off balance, can give up a lot of hits, but generally keeps you close.

The way I look at it, I don't think we get to the playoffs without MB, but we can ride a hot Contreras all the way to the World Series. Both are very important parts of this team.

Banix12
10-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Clement won't pitch game 5, if there is a game 5.

Yup, I'd say depending on what happens tomorrow, if there is a game 5, you see Wells on short rest or possibly Arroyo.

JB98
10-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Yup, I'd say depending on what happens tomorrow, if there is a game 5, you see Wells on short rest or possibly Arroyo.

Hmmm. I think they are going to use Arroyo as one of their main bullpen guys. Their middle relief is pretty thin even with him coming out of the bullpen. Wells is 80 years old with a balky back and a bad knee. If they want to use him on three days rest, that would be favorable for us.

Regardless of what Boston does, I'm confident Contreras would win a Game 5 situation. That was the main point of my first post.