PDA

View Full Version : Ropert Editorial

Chicago
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok my sister told me today that she heard on the radio something about an editorial that Ropert from ebert and robert put out...

Anyone hear anything about this???

Supposedly he was trash talking sox fans...

saying that we just need to accept the fact that the cubs are like movie stars...
and followed with an example something along the lines of...

The Cubs are like Jennifer Aniston and Sox fans are like the stalkers on her lawn.

There was more but I can't seem to find anything on this.

OzzieBall2004
10-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah...it wasn't trashing. I agreed with most of it. Im sure its on suntimes.com.

He was just saying get over the whole "Cubs suck" thing. Basically, there's nothing glamorous about the Sox....

He's a season ticket holder and gives the team press in sections that aren't titled "Sports". I'll take it. He's one of us, he knows his stuff, and he writes a good article.

TDog
10-04-2005, 11:24 PM

He was just saying get over the whole "Cubs suck" thing. Basically, there's nothing glamorous about the Sox...

When will the Cubs fans get over the whole "Sox suck" thing?

Chicago
10-04-2005, 11:27 PM

Exactlly...

samram
10-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Richard Roeper is a huge Sox fan and the point of the article was that we, as Sox fans, should stop worrying about the Cubs. There was nothing derogatory about Sox fans in the article.

OzzieBall2004
10-04-2005, 11:49 PM

My only comment on this is that it's incredibly childish to start a "cubs suck" chant while leaving the Cell after we play the Royals. Especially when your team is on their way to 99 wins....59 wins? Maybe, you need something to do. But 99?

Also the shirts with a stick figure performing oral sex on another stick figure (both males) under the headline "cubs fans", are too much.

The same company that makes the Sox Suck shirts that makes the Cubs Suck shirts.

South Side
10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
My only comment on this is that it's incredibly childish to start a "cubs suck" chant while leaving the Cell after we play the Royals. Especially when your team is on their way to 99 wins....59 wins? Maybe, you need something to do. But 99?

Also the shirts with a stick figure performing oral sex on another stick figure (both males) under the headline "cubs fans", are too much.

The same company that makes the Sox Suck shirts that makes the Cubs Suck shirts.

From past experience, when one of those "Cubs Suck" chants start up on non Cubs/Sox games, it's b/c some moron Cub fan decided to start talking on the way down the ramps. It's really obnoxious considering how long it takes to walk down the ramps and some fans choose to chant.

CaptainBallz
10-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Richard Roeper is a huge Sox fan and the point of the article was that we, as Sox fans, should stop worrying about the Cubs. There was nothing derogatory about Sox fans in the article.

I had to stop reading halfway through. I know he's a Sox fan, but being painted as the obsessed "stalker" to the Flubs "Jennifer Aniston" is TOTAL B.S. and insulting. Do I need to send Roeper a transcript of every messageboard altercation with bitter, BITTER Cubs fans refusing to give the Sox any credit? Should I tape a conversation with the Cubs half of my family as they repeatedly bashed the Sox this entire year, especially in September!?

Trust me, I agree that this is our moment as fans and the Sox as a team and we should be relishing the good happening to us and not wasting time bashing anybody that isn't involved. But I would expect a Sox fan like Roeper to at least address that it is a total myth that Sox fans hate the Cubs more than they hate us. In my experience, the only ones that don't sling the mud are the fence-riders and they don't count anyway!

I'd love to not even think about the Flubs until '06, but there's several Boston fans now that are going to try and ruin every part of this October for me. When that subsides, i'll maybe give Roeper's article some credence.

TaylorStSox
10-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Roeper is, bar none, the biggest Sox fan in the Chicago media. Alot of us agree with him. Leave the damn Cubs alone. Forget about them and hopefully, they'll forget about us.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-05-2005, 03:48 AM
He also goes on to say is much, much cooler to be a White Sox fan.

Uncle_Patrick
10-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok my sister told me today that she heard on the radio something about an editorial that Ropert from ebert and robert put out...

Anyone hear anything about this???

Supposedly he was trash talking sox fans...

saying that we just need to accept the fact that the cubs are like movie stars...
and followed with an example something along the lines of...

The Cubs are like Jennifer Aniston and Sox fans are like the stalkers on her lawn.

There was more but I can't seem to find anything on this.

Here's the link:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep04.html

For the most part, I think Roeper is spot on. He's not trashing Sox fans. He is a Sox fan. He's saying, "Hey Sox fans, stop worrying about the Cubs. Chicago is a 'Cubs town'. They get more media attention. Who cares?" He's 100% right. Who cares about the Cubs? The Sox are playing playoff baseball, the Cubs are watching from home. Who cares if Cubs fans say "The White Sox suck"? Those who say such things are just being exposed for the bitter, jealous losers they really are. Our team is in the playoffs. No unequal media treatment is going to ruin that for me. The Cubs don't matter now, for forget about them. The White Sox are the team that matters.

woodenleg
10-05-2005, 09:22 AM
No, you're right - the Cubs aren't a factor right now, so anyone who is preoccupied with them is a fool.

But some people don't get what he's on about.

We've got bigger fish to fry right now. Get off the 'Cubs' thing.

PatK
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
He also goes on to say is much, much cooler to be a White Sox fan.

Amen to that!:gulp::supernana:

The Hell with the Cubs. Roeper is right.

What he's saying is that it's a Cubs town with a media that favors the Cubs, and we need to deal with it and accept it. Sure, it's not fair, but life isn't always fair.

It always amazed me to see how so many of us put as much, if not more, effort into rooting against and hating the Cubs than rooting for the Sox.

mrs. hendu
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
I find this article very positive. Roeper is a big White Sox fan and it's clear that in the article he stresses that by writing "we Sox fans" instead of "you Sox fans". He's absolutely right in what he wrote.