PDA

View Full Version : Best taxi route to Comiskey for tomorrow night?

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Unless I manage to get out of work ridiculously early tomorrow, I will have to take a cab (my office, at Canal & Polk, is not very convenient to the L).

I realize that the Ryan and/or Wentworth will be extremely crowded. What alternate route should I propose to the driver in order to get there for the first pitch? Since I don't own a car and rarely take cabs, I've rarely had to worry about avoiding traffic :smile:

russ99
10-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Unless I manage to get out of work ridiculously early tomorrow, I will have to take a cab (my office, at Canal & Polk, is not very convenient to the L).

I realize that the Ryan and/or Wentworth will be extremely crowded. What alternate route should I propose to the driver in order to get there for the first pitch? Since I don't own a car and rarely take cabs, I've rarely had to worry about avoiding traffic :smile:

I wouldn't go anywhere near the Ryan. Cops were diverting traffic today, but some traffic was getting through on 35th going east.

I'd suggest 2 things,

Take the CTA Green Line from downtown (Wabash Street EL) it's fast, uncrowded and leaves you 2 blocks from the park.

If you have to cab it, take Halsted south to 35th, then have the cabbie drive you down 35th as close to the park as the cops will allow.

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't go anywhere near the Ryan. Cops were diverting traffic today, but some traffic was getting through on 35th going east.

I'd suggest 2 things,

Take the CTA Green Line from downtown (Wabash Street EL) it's fast, uncrowded and leaves you 2 blocks from the park.

If you have to cab it, take Halsted south to 35th, then have the cabbie drive you down 35th as close to the park as the cops will allow.

Thanks for the suggestion about Halsted. As for the Green Line, I'm afraid I can't plan to take the L - it's a 15 minute walk from my office to the Roosevelt L, and the eastbound Roosevelt bus is extremely unreliable in the evening.

whitesoxwilkes
10-04-2005, 09:17 PM

Yes, it kinda is. The Blue Line stops at Clinton and Congress, just a 5 minute walk north of your office. Take the Blue Line east 2 stops to Jackson, and then transfer south on the Red Line to Sox/35th. I do it 40+ times a year, never takes more than 25 minutes.

Daver
10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Straight down Michigan to 31st and walk to the park.

chitownhawkfan
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Halsted is usually pretty quick

DumpJerry
10-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Halsted to 18th. 18th to Canal. Canal to 33rd. 33rd to Princeton. Princeton to Jimbo's. Walk.
Destroy this posting after reading it, it's my secret route.

jackbrohamer
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Halsted to 18th. 18th to Canal. Canal to 33rd. 33rd to Princeton. Princeton to Jimbo's. Walk.
Destroy this posting after reading it, it's my secret route.

Yes, stay off of Canal north of Roosevelt, it's under construction and took forever to get through the intersection yesterday

na_na_na_na
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
LSD South to 31st. 31st to state. State to 33rd. 33 until the cab stops then hop out.

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - I ended up taking Canal to 29th, switching over to Normal, and then bailing out at 33rd & Normal. I got to section 556 for the first few notes of the national anthem.