PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Neel: 10 Reasons to Root for the White Sox

Unregistered
10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/051004

An interesting piece filled with back-handed compliments and the phrase that I hate: "White Sox Nation." Blech.

He has one thing right, though:

5. Despite what I said earlier, White Sox fans actually don't want you. According to my friend Andy in Chicago, "Hard-core White Sox fans don't want anyone jumping on board now, they'd rather go it alone." And my first thought, like yours, was, "There are hard-core White Sox fans? Plural?" [Unreg edit: :rolleyes:] But then I realized, of course there are, and, like Jodie Foster in "Foxes," they aren't so tough, they've just been burned and they're just covering up so they don't get hurt again. What they need is love, maybe a hug and most definitely your pledge to stand by them no matter how many times the team runs into unnecessary, big-situation outs. See? You start out so nice, then you become what they expect of you. A robot. :tsk:

Although, I do like this one:
10. You have no choice. Seriously. What are you gonna do, pull for the Padres?

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Hell has frozen, finaly some ESPN love

ATXBMX
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. It was, afterall, on Page 2. Basically, the whole article is in teal.

PAPChiSox729
10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Meh.

zach074
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
The whole artical is this guy taking stabs at the white sox while trying to look good.

Uncle_Patrick
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
I read the article, I thought it was ok. I know some of the more sensitive of you will find much to complain about and its not an award winning piece but its really not too bad.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I read the article, I thought it was ok. I know some of the more sensitive of you will find much to complain about and its not an award winning piece but its really not too bad.
I actually found some of it pretty funny. Im a sucker for page 2, though. I dont know why.....

soxfan26
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. It was, afterall, on Page 2. Basically, the whole article is in teal.

Everyone please read ATXBMX's post before you reply to this thread. It's Page 2 - it's supposed to be a joke. No fair getting your feelings all hurt over something that is supposed to be tongue in cheek.

chisox
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
how about the quote about leon's being on 59th street.

neel has never been on stony island.

gobears1987
10-04-2005, 09:20 PM
The article was a good read. THis was my favorite. Hawk is genuine, he isn't a fake like most homers.

6. Two words: Hawk Harrelson. His gone-quiet response to an opposing team's home run is not only one of the funniest things on free TV it's also one of the most authentic expressions of love and devotion in all the major leagues. The rally monkey is a stunt. The Boston Idiots are a PR campaign. But Hawk too saddened to speak, that's the real deal.

chitownhawkfan
10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Didn't he pick the Red Sox to win in four? Get lost loser.

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I just read this article, and despite the repeated "Curse" blabs... this is a pretty damn cool piece.

8. Somebody needs to stand up and say, "Hey ... Hey! Paul Konerko's really good." Somebody has to say that. And that somebody should be you.

Where's Randar???

likeawarlord
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
The article was a good read. THis was my favorite. Hawk is genuine, he isn't a fake like most homers.

6. Two words: Hawk Harrelson. His gone-quiet response to an opposing team's home run is not only one of the funniest things on free TV it's also one of the most authentic expressions of love and devotion in all the major leagues. The rally monkey is a stunt. The Boston Idiots are a PR campaign. But Hawk too saddened to speak, that's the real deal.

i loved the hawk part. i'm not a fan of hawks broadcast style on a whole, but he's honest and he lives and dies with the team, and how could you not want that? hes our mascot, not southpaw.

i thought that the article was relatively accurate in its observations and that neel is sincere in wanting to root for the sox.

eriqjaffe
10-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Dear Mr. Neil,

Greg Luzinski was still 5 years away from playing for the White Sox when they wore shorts for a game. Can't argue about the lapels, though.

Sincerely,

Somebody Who Does His Homework.

ChicagoHoosier
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I enjoyed it. Take it for what it's worth - i thought some of it was funny.

elrod
10-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Yes, that's the essential Hawk. Not the cliched "put it on the board" and now "mercy!". It's the way he matter-of-factly reports the other team's home runs. Did you hear Joe Castiglione of WEEI call the White Sox home runs? He might as well have been a White Sox announcer he was so excited. Imagine Hawk calling yesterday's game for the Red Sox. "Scott Podsednik up to the plate. Down the right field line. Get foul. [Silence for five seconds as the crowd roars]. And it's 12-2 Chicago." And when he calls a devastating loss, like 9/14 at KC, "And we're going to lose this game!" with total anger, you realize what fan he is.

gobears1987
10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, that's the essential Hawk. Not the cliched "put it on the board" and now "mercy!". It's the way he matter-of-factly reports the other team's home runs. Did you hear Joe Castiglione of WEEI call the White Sox home runs? He might as well have been a White Sox announcer he was so excited. Imagine Hawk calling yesterday's game for the Red Sox. "Scott Podsednik up to the plate. Down the right field line. Get foul. [Silence for five seconds as the crowd roars]. And it's 12-2 Chicago." And when he calls a devastating loss, like 9/14 at KC, "And we're going to lose this game!" with total anger, you realize what fan he is.I know, I love Hawk Harrelson as our announcer. Most teams complain that their announcers aren't fans of the teams they announce for, all they care about is the check. Hawk loves this team. That is why we love calls like "C'Mon Time" or "Joe CREEEEEEDE" because those are calls of true emotion. They aren't BS, that is how much he is attached to this team.