PDA

View Full Version : Red Cub fans not taking it well

maurice
10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MAEA10210042308.jpg

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MAEA10110042304.jpg

And then there's this from the AP recap:
CHICAGO (AP) -- The winning socks came from the White Sox. Now, maybe it's their turn to end a long championship drought. . . .

I'll drink to that!
:gulp:

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 07:41 PM
I could stare at this for hours

chisox
10-04-2005, 07:43 PM
i was at a bar in new york city. i was the only sox fan amid a sea of red sox fan. i handled it graciously. i only gave a single-fist pump and whoop after every run, i could have gone for a double, but i wanted to keep it classy.

go sox.

great start.

whitesoxruleall
10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
As could I. LOL.

Unregistered
10-04-2005, 07:45 PM
i was at a bar in new york city. i was the only sox fan amid a sea of red sox fan. i handled it graciously. i only gave a single-fist pump and whoop after every run, i could have gone for a double, but i wanted to keep it classy.

go sox.

great start.You were in NYC and couldn't find a bar filled with Yankees fans? They are LOVING this.

PAPChiSox729
10-04-2005, 07:46 PM
The Red Cub fans aren't going to take this entire series well.
:cool:

Soxzilla
10-04-2005, 07:46 PM

go sox.

great start.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

After AJ hit the homerun in the first, I honked my car horn five times. I figured six would be excessive.

dolphinron
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.talksox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4566

They are not taking it well over on this site also, one post actually called the white sox fan classless because we were singing the hey hey goodbye song to a pitcher that was leaving the game and because of ozzies choke gesture during cleveland's series. Unbelievable.

Uncle_Patrick
10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
I made a visit over to Red Sox Nation to look around. I can tell you one thing: They don't like being called the Red Cubs. There are quite a few who aren't fans of this website either.:rolleyes:

SoxEd
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I made a visit over to Red Sox Nation to look around. I can tell you one thing: They don't like being called the Red Cubs.

Can you blame them?

Who'd want to be associated with a train-wreck team like the Cubs (apart from uneducated hicks in Iowa, obviously?).

Uncle_Patrick
10-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Can you blame them?

Who'd want to be associated with a train-wreck team like the Cubs (apart from uneducated hicks in Iowa, obviously?).

I gained a bit of respect for them, actually. So many Cubs fans seem to think the Red Sox are their spiritual brothers. I'm glad that Red Sox fans are smarter than that.

CLR01
10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
I made a visit over to Red Sox Nation to look around. I can tell you one thing: They don't like being called the Red Cubs. There are quite a few who aren't fans of this website either.:rolleyes:

If you bring any trolls back here you will be be banned as well. We don't need extra work this month.

Cambridge
10-04-2005, 08:24 PM

Threads like this would be the reason why. Trash-talking begets trash-talking, but serves no other purpose IMO. If it takes animosity to make baseball fun, there's a problem with the fan. Just my two cents.

Uncle_Patrick
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
If you bring any trolls back here you will be be banned as well. We don't need extra work this month.

Take it easy, I did not register or post, just looked around. I have no desire to troll other teams' websites, just wanted to see what they had to say. There were one or two former WSI'ers over there bad-mouthing this place.

CLR01
10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Take it easy, I did not register or post, just looked around. I have no desire to troll other teams' websites, just wanted to see what they had to say. There were one or two former WSI'ers over there bad-mouthing this place.

All of our former posters bad mouth this place, whats new?

Okay but that still stands for anyone else that does decide to go troll.

iguy212
10-04-2005, 08:56 PM
"I think it's better to lose the first game, usually you win the next three. Only time where winning hte first game is better is when you are sure of sweeping."

Classic

Unregistered
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
"I think it's better to lose the first game, usually you win the next three. Only time where winning hte first game is better is when you are sure of sweeping."

:?:

Talk about spinning reality...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
...There were one or two former WSI'ers over there bad-mouthing this place.

The fact they are ex-WSI'ers ought to provide plenty of insight to all Red Sox fans how little credibility to assign to anything these banned posters have to say about practically any topic.

zach074
10-04-2005, 09:17 PM

Classic

Please tell me he's joking?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Threads like this would be the reason why. Trash-talking begets trash-talking, but serves no other purpose IMO. If it takes animosity to make baseball fun, there's a problem with the fan. Just my two cents.

You have to look at it from a Chicagoan's perspective, Camb. This city is filled to the brim with demented idiots who think supporting a losing ballclub is a badge of honor. Their team has crapped out (for the 97th consecutive season) and now they're searching for someone -- ANYONE -- to cheer for besides the Sox. They naturally gravitate to Boston because *they* think they share some sort of kindred spirit with you.

Of course it's total bull****. We Sox Fans know this, and we love rubbing their noses in it every chance we get. But the fact is plenty of Lovable Loser fans have jumped onto the BoSox bandwagon going all the way back to last October -- cheering for your curse to end as though that meant their own turn at a championship was next.

Idiots. Complete idiots. Just be thankful you don't have to share Boston with a bunch of nimrods like we share Chicago year after year after year.

kevin57
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm just happy at least some people in Boston actually believe that there is urban life west of Philadelphia. This is progress.

:D:

LuvSox
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Jackie Bang (sp?) interviewed a Red Cubs fan that was leaving the game early. He was unbelievably arrogant. He said he wasn't worried, the Red Cubs came back from a three game deficit to beat the Yankees last year, then went on to say "These aren't the Yankees."

What a prick. It's people like this that will make the Sox victory even sweeter.

JB98
10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Jackie Bang (sp?) interviewed a Red Cubs fan that was leaving the game early. He was unbelievably arrogant. He said he wasn't worried, the Red Cubs came back from a three game deficit to beat the Yankees last year, then went on to say "These aren't the Yankees."

What a prick. It's people like this that will make the Sox victory even sweeter.

He's right. We aren't the Yankees. We're better.

DirtyWaterMojo
10-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey, I am a Red Sox fan, and I was just looking for a place to congratulate your team on a game well played. Contreras looked great. Looks like he figured out that its better to dial it down a bit if it gets you more control. His forker looked absolutely nasty. Also your bats took full advantage of slumping Clement and our second string bull pen. Clement really has not been the same since he took that come backer off his noggin.

Here is the advanced scouting report on Wells. He has been nursing a bum knee. He has had three cortisone shots over the last few weeks of the season and is planning on knee surgery for the off season if he doesn't retire. In Wells last start against the Yankees, he was battling early to find his curve ball. The one thing about Wells that you already know is that he is a gamer, so do not expect him to roll over either.

I hope Game 2 is more interesting than game 1.

Gotta love play off baseball!

DWM

CaptainBallz
10-05-2005, 12:48 AM
You have to look at it from a Chicagoan's perspective, Camb. This city is filled to the brim with demented idiots who think supporting a losing ballclub is a badge of honor. Their team has crapped out (for the 97th consecutive season) and now they're searching for someone -- ANYONE -- to cheer for besides the Sox. They naturally gravitate to Boston because *they* think they share some sort of kindred spirit with you.

Of course it's total bull****. We Sox Fans know this, and we love rubbing their noses in it every chance we get. But the fact is plenty of Lovable Loser fans have jumped onto the BoSox bandwagon going all the way back to last October -- cheering for your curse to end as though that meant their own turn at a championship was next.

Idiots. Complete idiots. Just be thankful you don't have to share Boston with a bunch of nimrods like we share Chicago year after year after year.

So you know my roommates, too???!!!!

The only thing that'll tick me off is when they START cheering for the White Sox next week....

If I may quote Seinfeld, "Who ARE these people?!"

OzzieBall2004
10-05-2005, 12:54 AM
i handled it graciously. i only gave a single-fist pump and whoop after every run, i could have gone for a double, but i wanted to keep it classy.

And rightfully so. We got one win. A statement victory? Hopefully. The headline won't be "White Sox sneak by Red Sox 3-2" it will be "White Sox pound/demolish/destroy/rout/etc. Red Sox". But it's still 1 win. They got 11 wins last year, and have rings to prove it.

So 2 more, then 4 more, then 4 more.......

OzzieBall2004
10-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Jackie Bang

White_Sock
10-05-2005, 03:47 AM
I really hope we pull this series out. Ideally, the White Sox will have stuffed it down Clevland's throat, down the red cubs' throat, and down the Yankees throat come World Series time.

But, the single best thing about beating the red cubs (other than winning alone), is that if the White Sox beat the red cubs, then those whiny stuck up red cub nation members won't have some cop-out curse to blame it on. They will have to face reality for the first time in 87 years: There never was a curse...it's a game, sometimes you win, but you lose against the White Sox!:redneck
:supernana:
Thank you White Sox for the best experience I have ever had watching pro
sports with this amazing season. Now let's make these SOBs hurt!

PeteWard
10-05-2005, 03:55 AM

. The one thing about Wells that you already know is that he is a gamer, so do not expect him to roll over either.

DWM

I'll bet his wife is hoping he doesn't as well.

doublem23
10-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Here is the advanced scouting report on Wells. He has been nursing a bum knee. He has had three cortisone shots over the last few weeks of the season and is planning on knee surgery for the off season if he doesn't retire. In Wells last start against the Yankees, he was battling early to find his curve ball. The one thing about Wells that you already know is that he is a gamer, so do not expect him to roll over either.

You don't think we know David Wells? Personally, I'd like to see Podsednik and Iguchi lead off the game with back-to-back bunts to the pitcher. Make Fatty McFatass move a little.

batmanZoSo
10-05-2005, 05:31 AM

*rimshot*

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Hey, I am a Red Sox fan, and I was just looking for a place to congratulate your team on a game well played. Contreras looked great. Looks like he figured out that its better to dial it down a bit if it gets you more control. His forker looked absolutely nasty. Also your bats took full advantage of slumping Clement and our second string bull pen. Clement really has not been the same since he took that come backer off his noggin.

DWM

DWM, Welcome to WSI. We're familiar with Wells due to his short back inflamed stint here a couple of years back. Yeah, bunts would be nice.

WSoxFanForever
10-05-2005, 09:18 AM
If it's hot out there today, would be nice to make a big man sweat a lot early on, and get tired. Have Pods get on base any way he can, then go from there. When we stick to small ball, we win. During our slump, I noticed we were trying too hard to swing hard and weren't getting any wood on the ball at all...was hard to see...hopefully those days are long gone and we can pick up where we left off and give Wells a send-off early.

elrod
10-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Welcome, DWM. Interesting that Wells has the bad knee to go with his always-stiff back. Either way, we should bunt on him like crazy.

Cambridge
10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
In the great FWIW department: I obviously can't speak for all Red Sox fans, but I'd have to believe that most of us will be rooting for you to go all the way if you beat us and advance to the next round. I could see some sentiment for the Cardinals, but that's about it.

hold2dibber
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM

DWM

I expect Wells to pitch a good game today. He's been very good in the 2nd half and he's a big game pitcher. Plus Sox fans will be all over him and I think that will just fire him up. Hopefully Buehrle will be just as effective. Should be a good one.

MsSoxVixen22
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM

:roflmao:

elrod
10-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I expect Wells to pitch a good game today. He's been very good in the 2nd half and he's a big game pitcher. Plus Sox fans will be all over him and I think that will just fire him up. Hopefully Buehrle will be just as effective. Should be a good one.

Wells has had a good W-L record in the second half but his ERA has been unimpressive. Check out the month-to-month ERA totals:

April: 4.91
May: 7.88
June: 3.66
July: 3.38
August: 4.40
September: 4.50

Since August 1 he has a 6-2 record. But his ERA is 4.45. In other words, he got a lot of run support. He wasn't lights out, except for one game against Baltimore and a short stint (5 innings) against KC.

If Wells pitches a great game, it's because he's a big game pitcher, not because he's been hot in the second half like Contreras. His game against the Yankees last week was a big game, for example (though he got rocked by the Yankees in NY earlier in the month).

One interesting stat this year: on the road, Wells is only 7-6 with a 5.56 ERA. At home he's 8-1 with a 3.07 ERA. That's a HUGE difference. The best Red Sox road pitcher this year was...Matt Clement (5-2, 4.20 ERA).

By contrast, the best White Sox home pitcher this year was: Mark Buehrle (10-2, 2.48 ERA). The best on the road were: McCarthy (3-2, 2.15), Contreras (8-2, 3.38) and Garcia (10-3, 3.40). Garland was great too (8-4, 3.44). Buehrle was mediocre (for Buehrle) on the road at 6-6, 3.86 ERA.

If we are going to look at season-long or second-half performance then Buehrle has a big edge. If we're going to look at big-game experience then Wells has the edge because Buehrle has never started in the playoffs before. In head-to-head matchups, Wells has the edge (4.05 ERA vs. White Sox).

But all that goes out the window at 6:05 today!

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
From one Boston Globe sporstwriter's blog (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2005/10/04/despite_trouncing_bet_on_boston/) today:

In fact, as I write this, at 7:33 p.m., Central time, the TV in the left field auxiliary press box is tuned to the local evening news, where the reporter with the world’s most powerful hair dryer is on hand at ye Olde Comiskey talking to a group of fans acting like they either just won the World Series (re-named the Super Bowl apparently by my cab driver this morning) or they all simultaneously discovered their cars were still where they had left them in their South Side parking lots.

:rolleyes:

TommyJohn
10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
From one Boston Globe sporstwriter's blog (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2005/10/04/despite_trouncing_bet_on_boston/) today:

Sportswriters suck. I hate them.

Fenway
10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Congrats on the win and getting the 46 year home playoff game money off your backs....

but

history has shown that teams winning blowouts in a post-season series don't always win the series..... (ask the 2004 Yankees, 1999 Red Sox, 2000 A's, 1999 Indians, 1960 Yankees or for that matter the 1959 White Sox)

that said

Boston has to figure out how to win the next 3 games because they would not any good options for pitching a Game 5. Obviously they can not give the ball to Clement again he is toast for 2005. Wells on 3 days? Arroyo? YIKES

but the weather gods may be able to help Boston. The forcast for Saturday for heavy rain but some say the morning, others the afternoon.

elrod
10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Congrats on the win and getting the 46 year home playoff game money off your backs....

but

history has shown that teams winning blowouts in a post-season series don't always win the series..... (ask the 2004 Yankees, 1999 Red Sox, 2000 A's, 1999 Indians, 1960 Yankees or for that matter the 1959 White Sox)

that said

Boston has to figure out how to win the next 3 games because they would not any good options for pitching a Game 5. Obviously they can not give the ball to Clement again he is toast for 2005. Wells on 3 days? Arroyo? YIKES

but the weather gods may be able to help Boston. The forcast for Saturday for heavy rain but some say the morning, others the afternoon.

Arroyo was terrible in his brief appearance. Maybe Papelbon will get a start in a pivotal Game Five. I don't think Wells, in his age and health, should go on three days rest. Well can't go in Game Four, even if there is a rainout on Saturday (unless he goes with 3 days rest).

Cambridge
10-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Boston has to figure out how to win the next 3 games because they would not any good options for pitching a Game 5.Arroyo? YIKES

Baseball is a funny game sometimes, and maybe Arroyo is this year's Derek Lowe. Last season, Lowe underwhelmed and was moved to the bullpen for the postseason. As fate had it, he ended up back in the rotation and won key games, pitching as well as he ever has. Pitchers sometimes find it (or lose it) at just the right (or wrong) time. If we get to game 5, anything can happen. Regardless of the pitching match-up.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Ah, Red Sox fan logic (http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=62&threadID=2471164&lastPostID=14469446). Gotta love it.

There stadium all year is a valley of empty seats but when the playoffs roll around they come out in bunches gota love it. Cubs fans are the only true fans for the baseball teams in that city.

:kukoo:

Fenway
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Ah, Red Sox fan logic (http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=62&threadID=2471164&lastPostID=14469446). Gotta love it.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/04/1128458901_0169.jpg

The Cubs might be more popular in Chicago, but it’s the White Sox who are playing October baseball. Check out more pregame scenes from Tuesday’s Game 1 of the ALDS at US Cellular Field.
(Boston.com Photo / Eric Wilbur)

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 10:50 AM
So the Boston papers chose to highlight the relatively few people who chose to wear anti-Cubs stuff or bring anti-Cubs signs instead of the 40,000 other regular White Sox fans of all races and ages?

Big surprise.

Fenway
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
So the Boston papers chose to highlight the relatively few people who chose to wear anti-Cubs stuff or bring anti-Cubs signs instead of the 40,000 other regular White Sox fans of all races and ages?

Big surprise.

not at all that was one of many

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/10_04_04_game_1_scene?pg=3

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/04/1128476129_9562.jpg

donkeylips
10-05-2005, 11:00 AM
from wrigley

Fenway
10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
from wrigley

hell just froze over

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Desperate. (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1032)

:whiner:

kevin57
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM

Oh, this is delicious. Bosox fanatics are never to be outdone in loyalty or intensity. Also, as I remember it, their park is located in a dump of a neighborhood.

Iwritecode
10-05-2005, 02:19 PM

I noticed when he did that as well but couldn't quite figure out why he did it.

This is coming from a team that's running out a pitcher tonight that admitted to putting shaving cream on his arms to be able to hold the ball better...

daveeym
10-05-2005, 02:23 PM

:whiner: I actually took note of that on the highlights and figured that ball is going on a mantle piece somewhere. He definitely wanted that ball but in an excited way.

slobes
10-05-2005, 02:38 PM

Hahaaha I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

maurice
10-05-2005, 02:42 PM
history has shown that . . . blah blah blah

*****. You're kidding yourself if you think that winning a blowout is a bad thing. What does history say about teams with 6-game winning streaks?

The result today (like yesterday) will come down to the starting pitching matchup. If Buerhle has another good start, Wells will need to pitch a gem to secure a win. A gem is possible but unlikely, since Wells usually gives up an ER every other inning. Then again, the Boston bullpen is even worse.

SoxFan78
10-05-2005, 02:50 PM

After reading that post I immediatley thought of this scene from Major League

Rick Vaughn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): What's that **** on your chest?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping his finger across his chest] Crisco?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping it across his waist line]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): Bardol?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping it along his head]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeño up my nose, get it runnin', and if I need to load the ball up I just...
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wipes his nose]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): ...wipe my nose.
Rick Vaughn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): You put snot on the ball?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): I haven't got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2005, 02:55 PM
After reading that post I immediatley thought of this scene from Major League
Quote:
Rick Vaughn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): What's that **** on your chest?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping his finger across his chest] Crisco?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping it across his waist line]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): Bardol?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wiping it along his head]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeño up my nose, get it runnin', and if I need to load the ball up I just...
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): [wipes his nose]
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): ...wipe my nose.
Rick Vaughn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): You put snot on the ball?
Eddie Harris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743304/): I haven't got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

Most likely it will be one of Johnny Damon's hair care products. :rolling:

Iwritecode
10-05-2005, 02:57 PM
*****. You're kidding yourself if you think that winning a blowout is a bad thing. What does history say about teams with 6-game winning streaks?

The result today (like yesterday) will come down to the starting pitching matchup. If Buerhle has another good start, Wells will need to pitch a gem to secure a win. A gem is possible but unlikely, since Wells usually gives up an ER every other inning. Then again, the Boston bullpen is even worse.

6-1

Sox record in games following a game where they score 10 or more runs.

tstrike2000
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM

I used to have some respect for the Red Sox. However, after getting Pedro, Manny, the Nomar for Pay-Rod thing, etc plus the espn factor, they're the New Yankees. All that aside, that will make it even sweeter when we wipe them off the playoff map!

Uncle_Patrick
10-05-2005, 03:29 PM

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
donkeylips, welcome to wsi!

Iwritecode
10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
donkeylips, welcome to wsi!

"Heysh Spongesh... do you think Dina will like me ifsh I getsh one of those new pogoballsth?"

A Salute Your Shorts quote with a reference to pogoballs? Talk about bringing back memories. :cool: