PDA

View Full Version : For all the speculation re: commentating

Kizzy08
10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
A lot of people were saying the Sox get no love from the media, which is true, but there were also a lot of people saying these guys would give them no love as well.

So far this game, I've heard nothing but positives from these guys. Every time they're talking about the White Sox, they're saying how they're underappreciated for what they did especially down the stretch.

Now, it may be just because the good guys have the lead, but I have no complaints so far. JMO

Fuller_Schettman
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not a huge Berman fan, but he is giving us some props.

It is hard not to when you look as good as we do...

knifeyspoony
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Really? I muted it pretty early on to listen to the radio. Every time I unmute (?) it I seem to catch the ESPN staff saying something Boston biased. Not that I expect any less from the East coast loving cable network. The first thing they said when Boston clinched the wild card was something along the lines of "Wow, this means we COULD have a New York-Boston ALCS!" I'll just stick with the radio.

maurice
10-04-2005, 06:07 PM
You have to be suspicious when ESPN gives you a booth consisting of . . .
- a huge Boston homer who knows nothing about baseball (Berman),
- an NL player who knows very little about the AL (Piazza), and
- a former cub (Sutcliff).
Sutcliff and Piazza are doing a decent job, but Berman's still a tool. See the game thread for specific examples.

Clembasbal
10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Piazza and Rick are fantastic so far, but to me Berman is being Berman...nothing good coming from him.

NardiWasHere
10-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I didn't think the booth would be any good because I didn't think think they were good broadcasters... they aren't doing bad though...

I highly doubt Mike Piazza has an ax to grind when it comes to the White Sox, come on guys.

maurice
10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I highly doubt Mike Piazza has an ax to grind when it comes to the White Sox, come on guys.

Who said he does?
:rolleyes:

flo-B-flo
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Berman's a tool. They GOTTA have better guys than him. Don't they?

The_Floridian
10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Gotta be honest, they sounded good. I was surprised. Said a lot of good things about the White Sox and had a lot of information.

I'll give em credit when they do it right...and they did it right.

TheOldRoman
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I was pleased with the commentated.
They discussed smallball, but noted that we have hit more homers than Boston.
They praised Podsednik. Sutcliffe mentioned how important Scotty is, how he controls the offense.
They praised Jose.
They didn't praise the Cell, but noted that it was a very nice ballpark, and much much different than when it opened.
Most importantly... THEY DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THE CUBS! They didn't compare our ballparks, the didn't compare our fanbases, and they didn't talk about attendance.

I was more weary of Sutcliffe than Berman, but Sutcliffe has really improved and is now able to put his personal bias aside. A+ all around for ESPN.

HotelWhiteSox
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I hate Berman, and to be honest, I enjoyed the broadcast. He had his own stupid moments (especially when talking about the ballpark), but I thought Piazza was a lot better than expected and I've always kind of like Rick, even though he has that yucky ex factor included in him

knocko94
10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
When they were talking about the stadium, they prefaced it with "though it will never be in the upper half of stadiums...."

Berman can kiss my ass.

AnkleSox
10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Most importantly... THEY DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THE CUBS!

This may be nitpicking, but right before the game started they did say something to the effect of "the lights at wrigley field are out tonight..." But that is actually more of a slap in the face to the cubs.

chisox
10-04-2005, 07:54 PM
fyi, in the first inning berman continually refered to ozzie as jose.

jose guillen is apparently the coach of the white sox.

news to me.

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
I disagree.

Derrrrrrrrr, US Cellular Field isn't da greatest place ta watcha ball game but uh I guess deeze people will show up at a trash heap to watch da playoffs, back back back back back- Berman.

I hate ESPN

SoxEd
10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Most importantly... THEY DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THE CUBS! They didn't compare our ballparks, the didn't compare our fanbases, and they didn't talk about attendance.

I was more weary of Sutcliffe than Berman, but Sutcliffe has really improved and is now able to put his personal bias aside. A+ all around for ESPN.

You know what, you're dead right - I cannot remember ANY references to the other team in Chicago, throughout that ESPN sportscast.

If I'd asked for the 'Vegas Odds' on that beforehand, what do you think I'd have got?

In that respect, I have to say OUTSTANDING work from the commentary team.

I didn't really notice any real pro-Carmine bias, I perceived it to be mostly about trying to give their fans something to deflect from the mauling their team was receiving.

Then again, I was too in-awe of the White Sox' performance on the field to really concentrate on listening to what those guys were saying about Boston.

:D:

oeo
10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
These guys only talk good about the team that is winning. They had some things to say at the beginning of the game...but how can anyone say anything bad about the team that is winning? If it were the other way around, it would have totally changed things.

Ol Aches & Pains
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Berman's a tool. They GOTTA have better guys than him. Don't they?

Yes, where are Miller and Morgan? The Yanks/Angels are on Fox, so it's not like they have anything better to do. If it was the Cubs in the playoffs, you bet your ass they'd be here. For the Sox, they send Fred Flintstone.

As soon as I heard Berman, I muted the TV sound and turned on the radio. We won't have John Rooney much longer, I'm going to enjoy him while I can.

CLR01
10-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Considering it was espn I was satisfied with the overall broadcast. Berman sucked at times but what do you expect from him?

Piazza needs to burn that tie tonight.

Railsplitter
10-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Yes, where are Miller and Morgan?

In St. Louis.

RedPinStripes
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I can't wait to hear what these idiots have to say on BBT. They'll all be crying.

akingamongstmen
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM

HAHA! I was thinking the same thing.

kaufsox
10-04-2005, 11:48 PM

LOL. That really was the worst thing about Piazza. I thought he offered up good analysis, especially of guys swings. For someone who doesn't commentate on a regular basis, he was pretty good. Sutcliffe has improved greatly and Berman, well, his tie was straight.

MRKARNO
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
I liked what I had heard from Sutcliffe on Sunday and he kept up the good work today. Piazza also provided very good commentary. They definitely neutralized Chris Berman, who at least didnt seem to be as bad as he sometimes can be.

Tragg
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
I wish all the games were on ESPN. WE don't have the Fox station back up here yet. Have to go to baton rouge to see the game, which I will - only place to get a decent meal or grocery shop anyway.