PDA

View Full Version : Jenks or Hermanson (or El Duque?) to close?

vafan
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
To win this series, the White Sox are going to have to be able to close out games. (I expect us to lead at some point in every game due to our much better starting pitching.) During the season, we were often dinged pretty badly late by the BoSox. Vizcaino gave up a 2-run HR to Ramirez to lose 6-5. Jenks gave up a 3-run shot to Ortiz in the 8th to negate our own power eruption in the 9th against Schilling in a 9-8 loss, and was tagged for unearned runs in another game. And even Hermanson gave up two runs in what I believe was his only outing. I know Marte also gave up runs in 2 of his 4 appearances.

So who is Ozzie going to go to in a 1-run game in the 9th? Jenks? Or Hermanson?

And does anyone besides me think that El Duque might be an inspired choice to close a game if it comes to that?

GO WHITE SOX!!

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
As Ozzie would say. I'm going with the bigggguy!!!

Jenks

SoxFan76
10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Closer by committee. That doesn't mean Marte either.

A_ROW33
10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
I'd have to go with Jenks closing right now, although the other two can be effective as well. Of course it's going to be Ozzie's decision and he'll go with his gut feeling for specific matchups. Another thing, I would not be surprised if Mark Buehrle becomes the 2ndary left handed bullpen option (behind Cotts) after his start in game 2.

vafan
10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd have to go with Jenks closing right now, although the other two can be effective as well. Of course it's going to be Ozzie's decision and he'll go with his gut feeling for specific matchups. Another thing, I would not be surprised if Mark Buehrle becomes the 2ndary left handed bullpen option (behind Cotts) after his start in game 2.

I think the kid's confidence got a major boost the way he finished the clinching game against Detroit after the tying runs got on base in the 9th with no outs.
Plus Pierzynski's going to make him use all his pitches to keep the hitters from trying to sit on his fastball.

But I expect us to all have some nail biting moments late in ballgames. Hey, it wouldn't be White Sox baseball if that weren't the case, would it?

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Baaaaaad Bobby!

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Closer by committee. That doesn't mean Marte either.

Absolutely! Marte had better be fortunate he's a lefty, or he wouldn't even be on this playoff roster.

chopperjc
10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I will take the "Round Mound of Relievers" only because I can relate:tongue: .

graham5
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't give the ball to Jenks with a 1 run lead in the 9th against the Red Sox. I didn't like at all the way he finished the season and thought he was very lucky that Konerko did his superman impression against the Tigers.

I don't think El Duque is a bad idea, or Hermanson if he thinks he is well enough to give it a go.

Chicken Dinner
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I'd go with the combo platter. :dustin: :buddylee

Brewski
10-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Brandon Mc...oh hell, he didn't make the roster.