PDA

View Full Version : Cards/Padres Anyone watching?

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm following it on Gameday just to keep myself occupied until 3:09.

The Cards have already drawn first blood with a first inning homerun by Edmonds.

cleanwsox
10-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm listening to the game at work. Carpenter seems good which is a great sign for the Cards seeing how he ended the regular season.

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm listening to the game at work. Carpenter seems good which is a great sign for the Cards seeing how he ended the regular season.

He's throwing an awful lot of pitches.

cleanwsox
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Double Play gets Carpenter out of a 1st and 2nd one out jam. Bottom of the 3rd, 1-0 Cards.

soltrain21
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Padres put themselves into a sticky situation.

4-0 Cards.

tifosiv122
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Watching the game...well going back and forth between it and the movie Rounders...man, I didn't realize how bad the Padres really are. And to be honest, St. Louis isn't taking full advantage of this.

I still think we will face the Astros in the WS.

Erik

cleanwsox
10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Grand Slam Reggie Sanders and just like that it's 8-0 Cards. Hope the Sox have it this easy.

peeonwrigley
10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Grand Slam Reggie Sanders and just like that it's 8-0 Cards. Hope the Sox have it this easy.

That was a BOMB, too. 3-0 swinging and jacked it. Take note Paulie, you'll be in that situation plenty.

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
If the Padres had any chance of taking even one game, this was it.

They are done.

SoxFan76
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Holy crap that was a bomb.

Jjav829
10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
So much for good pitching beating good hitting....

I feel bad for Jake Peavy. The only chance the Padres had to upset the Cards was if Peavy was dominant for two games and someone else stepped up in one of the other games. That plan is now shot.

fquaye149
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM
So much for good pitching beating good hitting....

I feel bad for Jake Peavy. The only chance the Padres had to upset the Cards was if Peavy was dominant for two games and someone else stepped up in one of the other games. That plan is now shot.

The Padres pitching was never that great - not to mention Peavy hasn't exactly that lights out, not to mention that Peavy didn't have a good outing.

To reword it - pretty good pitching having a bad day doesn't beat good hitting.

If Contreras doesn't pitch well and we lose it won't prove anything about good pitching or good hitting... for instance

itsnotrequired
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Gameday says Carpenter left with an injured hand/wrist? Anyone know what happened? Is it serious?

Gavin
10-04-2005, 02:23 PM
And Cards fans throw the ball back, amazing, even the announcers are baffled.

koch44
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Are Cards really that stupid to cheer a homerun ball being thrown back on the field?:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Are Cards really that stupid to cheer a homerun ball being thrown back on the field?:rolleyes:

Remember, it isn't always the smartest "fans" that end up getting playoff tickets. Doesn't everyone throw HR balls back?

Any word on Carpenter?

Jjav829
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
The Padres pitching was never that great - not to mention Peavy hasn't exactly that lights out, not to mention that Peavy didn't have a good outing.

To reword it - pretty good pitching having a bad day doesn't beat good hitting.

If Contreras doesn't pitch well and we lose it won't prove anything about good pitching or good hitting... for instance

Umm, are you familar with Jake Peavy? Jake Peavy, the 2004 ERA leader. Jake Peavy, he of the 2.88 ERA and .217 BAA? That Jake Peavy. You're telling me that Jake Peavy was never that good and isn't lights out? He's a top 5 pitcher in the NL and you're telling me he is "pretty good?" :?: :?: This guy would be the ace of our staff and about 25 other staffs.

My point was simply that good pitching doesn't always beat good hitting, particularly when the hitting is an offense as good as the Cardinals.

Jjav829
10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Gameday says Carpenter left with an injured hand/wrist? Anyone know what happened? Is it serious?

Cramps in his hand. It doesn't sound like anything serious. The Cards were playing it safe since they had an 8-0 lead in the 7th inning.

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
"Bionic" Cal Eldred in to close it out for the Cards who are up 8-2 in the 9th.

itsnotrequired
10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Getting interesting here. 8-5 Cardnials, Padres with last at bats. 2 on, 2 out, tying run at the plate.

SoxEd
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, and the Padres suddenly have managed to get the tying runs on base.

I just wish they'd get this game done so the MLB feed goes to the Sox game...

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Getting interesting here. 8-5 Cardnials, Padres with last at bats. 2 on, 2 out, tying run at the plate.

What happened? I thought Izzy was good?

itsnotrequired
10-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Ramon Hernandez Ks with the bases loaded. Game over. 8-5, Cardinals.

fquaye149
10-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Umm, are you familar with Jake Peavy? Jake Peavy, the 2004 ERA leader. Jake Peavy, he of the 2.88 ERA and .217 BAA? That Jake Peavy. You're telling me that Jake Peavy was never that good and isn't lights out? He's a top 5 pitcher in the NL and you're telling me he is "pretty good?" :?: :?: This guy would be the ace of our staff and about 25 other staffs.

My point was simply that good pitching doesn't always beat good hitting, particularly when the hitting is an offense as good as the Cardinals.

My mistake. He has pitched better in the second half...I haven'tt checked back on him since his first half when he struggled.

Regardless, he didn't pitch like the Jake Peavy of old today. It's not like no pitcher has ever been able to contain the cardinals. That was my point.

A bad pitching performance by a good pitcher does not equal good pitching.

MHOUSE
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Peavy was pretty bad, got hit hard. I was surprised to see Sanders swing away on 3-0, but if I'd let anyone do it, it would be a veteran like him. Too bad Carpenter had to leave with hand cramps. They attributed it to dehydration.

Izzy is usally lights-out in save situations, but I have seen him struggle a lot coming in with 4 or 5 run leads or with the game tied in the 9th or extra innings. He's just one of those guys that needs that extra juice flowing I guess.

Carp 6.0 IP 3H 0 ER
Bullpen 3.0 IP 10H 5 ER

Ouch! Cards definately had a better bullpen last year. Losing Al Reyes might hurt more than you'd think especially without King pitching well.