PDA

View Full Version : Article: Meet the FOKW

Fuller_Schettman
10-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Love the Moneyball references!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9568886/

SSN721
10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting the linky.

beckett21
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Love it!

:thumbsup:

Jayhawk73
10-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Many thanks for the link, greatly enjoyed!

CallMeNuts
10-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Great pitching, at the right price, is what makes a baseball GM a genius.

If you read Moneyball, you night never have figured out how important Zito, Mulder and Harden were to the A's. You'd have thought it was guys like Chad Bradford who BB got from the Sox for Miguel Olivo that made the A's who they are. You'd have thought Scott Hattenburg was an All-Star. But the truth is simple. Get yourself 3 or more stud pitchers and look out.

Same thing for the Sox. Our rotation is what makes us great. And KW did a nice job of building a balanced team around it. And BTW: We traded Olivo to get one of our stud pitchers.

JorgeFabregas
10-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Implicit in this story is how many key components the White Sox will probably lose after this year. :(:

Tragg
10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
That's what made moneyball instantly lose credibility with me. Going on and on and on about Bradford, a freaking situational reliever; it's like going on and on and on about losing kelly wunsch. Plus, they gave up a player who seemed to have the tools to become a legitimate major league catcher.

Great article - thanks for the link.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Implicit in this story is how many key components the White Sox will probably lose after this year. :(:

We have 6 key free agents who we need to make a decision on:

AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Cliff Politte, Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko. Garland has an Arbitration year but I think we are looking to sign him for a couple of years. If Frank is healthy I think he wants to return here and I think his salary will be something we can afford based on his injury history (won't get many offers) the past few years and his desire to stay.

The only Free Agent we have a serious chance of losing is Paul Konerko. He will stay if he is willing to accept a few million less than New York, Boston or Anaheim offers. The decision will be his.

We will have more money based on the great season and the post season revenue. We will also have an expanded season ticket base so I expect our team to retain most if not all of there key players.

Vince
10-05-2005, 12:07 AM
I read Moneyball and the main thing I got out of it was getting the most out of your payroll.

The OBP thing is only a side point -- at the time of the book, it was undervalued in the market. Now it's overvalued (ironically, probably because of the book).

Here what KW and Ozzie did -- they went after run prevention and invested most of their money in that (hence the bulk of our rotation wrapped up until what, 2007?) We spend ~ $30 million on our starting rotation. We spent $22.5 for our lineup in the playoffs -- granted that doesn't include the $8 million we're paying Big Frank, but even so, we've put as much money in 5 pitchers as we did in 10 position players. Add in the bullpen and we spend way more on pitching.

The results? Our 99 wins cost us an average of $750K each and got us the best record in the league. The Yankees spent $2.1 million per win. The Red Sox spent $1.2 million per win and barely got in the postseason. Sure, Oakland came in at $630K per win, but they ain't in the playoffs, so who cares?

Looks to me like KW out-Moneyball'd Beane.

santo=dorf
10-05-2005, 01:07 AM
We have 6 key free agents who we need to make a decision on:

AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Cliff Politte, Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko.
Arbitration eligible, arbitration eligible, arbitration eligible, team option for $1 million, $3.5 Million buyout along with player and team options, free agent.

Of the 6 players you listed, the Sox have zero control over only Konerko.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Arbitration eligible, arbitration eligible, arbitration eligible, team option for $1 million, $3.5 Million buyout along with player and team options, free agent.

Exactly - that was my point. We need to make a decision and I assume we make the correct decision and that Konerko is the only one we may lose.

fquaye149
10-05-2005, 02:37 AM

zero control is an exaggeration.

While they have no control over what other teams offer, they have ultimate control over whether they want to offer him what it is going to take to get him to stay here and whether they think that's a good idea.

given the fact that Paulie has said he would like to stay here, that should give them a REASONABLE amount of control whether they resign him or not.