View Full Version : ex Cub factor

my5thbench
10-04-2005, 12:23 PM
the Red Sox have Bill Mueller & today's batting practice pitcher

Matt Clement....are there any others on their roster to help

jinx them?

soltrain21
10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
That has been proven wrong a few times. One was by the Red Sox last year, I think.

Tekijawa
10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Not to mention we have Garland and Gload...

TDog
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Not to mention we have Garland and Gload...

Garland was drafted by the Cubs anyway.

tebman
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
That has been proven wrong a few times. One was by the Red Sox last year, I think.
Didn't Mike Royko have a formula for this? As I recall it was the presence of three or more ex-Cubs in order to doom a team.

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 12:44 PM

The 2001 D-Backs had at least 3 ex-Cubs.

They also broke through the "Balboni curse".

cleanwsox
10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Notable Ex-Sox players in the playoffs:

Miguel Olivo (Padres)
Cal Eldred (Cards)
Julio Franco (Braves)
Bartolo Colon (Angels)
Alan Embree (Yankees)
Tom Gordon (Yankees)
Tanyon Sturtze (Yankees)
Chad Bradford (Red Sox)
David Wells (Red Sox)
Tony Graffanino (Red Sox)

Did I miss anybody? I didn't include Foulke since he's hurt.

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Didn't Mike Royko have a formula for this? As I recall it was the presence of three or more ex-Cubs in order to doom a team.Correct, but it applies only to the World Series, and has been wrong on at least two occasions since WWII.

jortafan
10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Correct, but it applies only to the World Series, and has been wrong on at least two occasions since WWII.

1960 Pittsburgh Pirates and 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks are the only two teams since 1946 who managed to win a World Series even though they had three or more former Chicago Cubs players on their rosters.

So as I see it, the ex-Cub factor applies unless you happen to be playing the Yankees and can force the World Series to go into a tie in the bottom of the ninth inning, thereby creating the possibility of a last-inning heroic moment.

Insofar as trying to claim it wrong, why bother? It is fun to have a factor of losing associated with the Cubs. Besides, knowing their fans, they probably think it's yet another reason their team is superior (losing is cute).

DSpivack
10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
For those who believe in it, I give you Jeremi Gonzalez.

slavko
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
For those who believe in it, I give you Jeremi Gonzalez.

Perennially injured Cub pitcher Jeremi. Where have I heard that one before?