PDA

View Full Version : Nervous Red Sox

bruce1
10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
I truly believe that the Red Sox are very nervous about playing the Sox!
I can't wait to see how the series goes!
What do you the rest of you guys think?

Bruce

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Why should The Red Sox be nervous? They have more celb fans which makes them a better team.

RedPinStripes
10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
I think I found something more annoying then the "Jeter cam". ESPN showing AFFLACK! every inning with his Red Cubs attire jumping up and down like a school girl .

Optipessimism
10-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I think I found something more annoying then the "Jeter cam". ESPN showing AFFLACK! every inning with his Red Cubs attire jumping up and down like a school girl .

The way I see it, this team is going to be stuck with the stereotype of drunk redneck fans assaulting players/coaches/other fans/etc. for the rest of its history and there is nothing anyone can do about it. That said, I'd love to see a drunk redneck Sox fan assault Ben Affleck. Several times. And again in the parking lot, while Matt Damon is licking Ben's wounds.

TheOldRoman
10-04-2005, 01:15 AM
I dont think the Red Sox are nervous because they are cocky SOBs. They are too busy thinking about the Yankees and whining about being the real AL least champs. They arent too worried about the Real Sox.

On BBTN, they talked to the jackass Kevin Millar. He said something along the lines of: "Yeah, they are a good team. You dont know how they win, they just win. You just keep looking at the standings and saying 'how do they keep winning?' ".

Hey dumbass.... ITS THE PITCHING!
I don't think it is too hard to figure out how a team with the best pitching staff in baseball wins. Let the Red Sox talk. Let morons like Shaunessy and Bob Ryan talk. Let ESPN talk. The White Sox are pissed, and they are the better team. The more crap I read, the more crap I hear, the more I think about the Red Sox and Yankees, the more I hate them. I hope we humiliate the Red Sox, and I would love to get a chance to beat the Yankees, too. I am pumped. I am ready for this game to start right now.

whitesoxruleall
10-04-2005, 01:27 AM
I completely agree with you The Old Roman. That "Expert" Reynolds makes me so mad. "The Red Sox have bla bla bla what is to question?" He bothers me just like almost every other idiot on that station does. I am sick to death of the media and all the other haters. I hope The White Sox crush it down the Red Sox throats. GO WHITE SOX YEAH!:angry:

bruce1
10-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Considering everything, Things look to shape up perfect for a White Sox win..... a SWEEP? I don't know, but it is not out of the question!

The White Sox have nothing to lose considering they have not won it all since 1917!

:smile:

mike squires
10-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Let's remember though, this is a team that came back 3-0 to the Yankess and went on to sweep a good Cardinal team. Their experience helps too. I''m thinking they are a pretty loose bunch and not all that nervous, IMO.

Sad
10-04-2005, 07:49 AM

oh God... I forgot about that... :mad:

Cambridge
10-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Let morons like Shaunessy and Bob Ryan talk.

Shaughnessy is someone who writes for the purpose of stirring things up, and shouldn't be taken seriously. Almost nobody in Boston does. Ryan, however, is one of the best sportswriters in the country. You may not agree with him, but he's as knowledgeable and erudite as they come.

A very interesting dynamic in this series is the fans. Red Sox fans are being looked at (by many) as arrogant, having escaped their "We're cursed" personae. ChiSox fans, meanwhile, seem to be adopting a "Nobody respects us, so F-them" stance. As an outsider looking in, I get the impression that many ChiSox fans would be unhappy if the national media were calling them favorites. I'm not sure how many of you agree with that or not.

The_Floridian
10-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Let's remember though, this is a team that came back 3-0 to the Yankess and went on to sweep a good Cardinal team. Their experience helps too. I''m thinking they are a pretty loose bunch and not all that nervous, IMO.

True enough, but they had a chip on their shoulder and were fighting with that 86 year THING hanging over their heads. Not to mention it was against their most hated rivals. I think that gave them an edge...and edge they won't have this year.

My wife's closest friend who lives in Boston reports that the Boston media were ecstatic that they get to play the White Sox instead of the Angels.

I don't think it's a matter of the Red Sox being nervous. I think it's a matter of them coming in with no edge at all. They backed into the playoffs and they are underestimating the White Sox, who are hot just at the right time.

I can't imagine a better situation for the White Sox to be in than this one.

:gulp:

Norberto7
10-04-2005, 08:54 AM
As an outsider looking in, I get the impression that many ChiSox fans would be unhappy if the national media were calling them favorites. I'm not sure how many of you agree with that or not.

You're absolutely right. I'll bet 75% minimum of the people here would prefer if no one picked the Sox to win. It gives us a chance to complain about not getting respect. We (as in the fans) wouldn't know how to handle being a favorite.:redface:

PorkChopExpress
10-04-2005, 09:02 AM

Only, this is not that team. True, the heavy hitters are still there, but no Pedro, no Lowe, no Foulke, Damon is hurting, etc. And let's face it, to win this thing requires a little luck and they were :gulp: with lady luck last year.

gobears1987
10-04-2005, 09:06 AM
No ****. This Blow Sawx team has no pitching. They can't win like that

harwar
10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
I have friends and relatives in that area of the country and they tell me that not only are the red sox not nervous but they are looking past us and already planning for the alcs.
No matter what some are saying in public that is how they feel up there and its their arrogance that will be their downfall.
They will be saying in a few days," what the hell happened? '

Cambridge
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
True They backed into the playoffs and they are underestimating the White Sox, who are hot just at the right time.

I can't imagine a better situation for the White Sox to be in than this one.

:gulp:

Backed into the playoffs? The Red Sox won 3 of their last 4, and beat the Yankees 2 out of 3 on the last weekend to tie them for best record in the AL East. Had the White Sox not "helped" us by sweeping Cleveland, we may have gone into the playoffs with home field.

edit: corrected factual error. knew better but typed it in wrong.

Uncle_Patrick
10-04-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't know or care how the Red Sox feel. I know that I have a really good feeling going in the playoffs, something I didn't have in 2000. I'm not predicting a sweep, but I believe the White Sox will beat the Fake Sox.

The_Floridian
10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Backed into the playoffs? The Red Sox won 4 of their last 5, and beat the Yankees 2 out of 3 on the last weekend to tie them for best record in the AL East. Had the White Sox not "helped" us by sweeping Cleveland, we may have gone into the playoffs with home field.

Actually, they won 3 of their last 5, 4 of their last 7. A split against Toronto and 2 of 3 from the Yanks. And one of those Toronto wins was all on Ortiz's back in the last two innings.

That said, you're probably right. Maybe I did overstate it saying they backed in. What I should have said was, I don't think they are playing their best baseball coming in, and their bullpen looks awful.

I think the White Sox are playing much better coming into the series, particularly on the pitching end. And the bullpens aren't even a contest.

I don't understand, however, how the White Sox sweeping Cleveland kept Boston from getting homefield.

Fenway
10-04-2005, 09:41 AM

ducks do that :cool:

http://www.cureusdesigns.com/files/d24a.jpg

Cambridge
10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't understand, however, how the White Sox sweeping Cleveland kept Boston from getting homefield.

Had Cleveland not been eliminated, the Red Sox and Yankees would have had a one-game playoff to determine the AL East champion. Head-to-head (which happened here) only comes into play if it means one team doesn't make the playoffs.

Also, had Boston, NY and Cleveland all finished with identical records, the loser of the NY/Boston playoff game would have played the Indians to determine the Wild Card.

bigdommer
10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Shaughnessy is someone who writes for the purpose of stirring things up, and shouldn't be taken seriously. Almost nobody in Boston does. Ryan, however, is one of the best sportswriters in the country. You may not agree with him, but he's as knowledgeable and erudite as they come.

A very interesting dynamic in this series is the fans. Red Sox fans are being looked at (by many) as arrogant, having escaped their "We're cursed" personae. ChiSox fans, meanwhile, seem to be adopting a "Nobody respects us, so F-them" stance. As an outsider looking in, I get the impression that many ChiSox fans would be unhappy if the national media were calling them favorites. I'm not sure how many of you agree with that or not.

Ryan is trash. After that Joumana Kidd comment, he should never be allowed to write or speak for a media outlet again.

harwar
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
"Nobody respects us, so F-them"

MMmmm .. sounds like a good idea for a t-shirt.

bruce1
10-04-2005, 11:34 AM
The Sox pitching will carry them through the series!

Sox Sweep!

Mickster
10-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Had Cleveland not been eliminated, the Red Sox and Yankees would have had a one-game playoff to determine the AL East champion. Head-to-head (which happened here) only comes into play if it means one team doesn't make the playoffs.

Also, had Boston, NY and Cleveland all finished with identical records, the loser of the NY/Boston playoff game would have played the Indians to determine the Wild Card.

You are correct in your analogy and offer further proof that the Real Sox helped you get into the playoffs. If Cleveland sweeps us, you are playing one, potentially 2 playoff games on the road. Somehow you think you would be able to beat both NYY at Yankee Stadium and Cleveland at Jacobs field.

Even if you won, who would you have pitching in game one on Wed?

The Real Sox say "You're Welcome."

Iguana775
10-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Only, this is not that team. True, the heavy hitters are still there, but no Pedro, no Lowe, no Foulke, Damon is hurting, etc. And let's face it, to win this thing requires a little luck and they were :gulp: with lady luck last year.

And Schilling isnt the Schilling of last year too.

Their pitching blows.

MarySwiss
10-04-2005, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Cambridge]Head-to-head (which happened here) only comes into play if it means one team doesn't make the playoffs.[QUOTE]

Actually, the opposite is true. Head-to-head comes into play if both teams will be making the playoffs. Boston and NY both made the playoffs; that's why Boston is the WC.

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
You are correct in your analogy and offer further proof that the Real Sox helped you get into the playoffs. If Cleveland sweeps us, you are playing one, potentially 2 playoff games on the road. Somehow you think you would be able to beat both NYY at Yankee Stadium and Cleveland at Jacobs field.

The Real Sox say "You're Welcome."And, of course, he's completely neglecting the possibility that they could have lost both and would now be booking tee times.:rolleyes:

BoSoxGirl75
10-04-2005, 12:26 PM

The Real Sox say "You're Welcome."

Actually, the Red Sox won the toin coss against the Indians. So if the Sox and Indians were tied for the wild card then the one game playoff would have been at Fenway.

Cambridge
10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Somehow you think you would be able to beat both NYY at Yankee Stadium and Cleveland at Jacobs field.

Had we beaten NY at the Stadium, we wouldn't have had to play Cleveland. NY would have.

Regardless, none of that happened. We're in Chicago today & it should be a great series.