PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Boycott the Tribune and Hit 'em Where it Hurts...

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Just a suggestion and no I didn't talk about it with other mods on the site, so they may express their disdain or displeasure for my editorializing here. I ain't locking this thread, feel free to let us know how you feel. Even if you disagree, maybe we can enlighten you...

Okay, enough disclaimers...

In recent months and especially in the past few weeks, the agenda of Tribune corporation has become transparently clear. Their constant slams at everything White Sox from the fans to the ballpark to the neighborhood to the way the team treats the neighborhood have reached a point where denial can only be seen as a river in Egypt. Intentional attack with intent to destroy the Sox team or merely a horrible example of group think it matters not, they cannot be allowed to go unchallanged or to continue to believe there are no consequences.

I urge all of you to hit the tribune where it hurts -in the wallet.

Don't buy the newspaper.

Don't watch WGN.

Don't listen to WGN.

Don't give them one red nickel from your pocket.

Do contact any advertisers that work with them and tell them you will be boycotting their product.

Do urge fellow Sox fans to join in this boycott of the corporation that owns our closest financial competitor which seems hellbent on maligning our good name, our team and our very fandom.

Step up and say it loud.

Real Sox Fans Don't Read the Tribune.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Heck, I don't even read newspapers, so this won't be very difficult to do...LOL!

And WGN isn't what it used to be...All it has are cheesey shows like 7th Heaven on it.

gf2020
10-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Don't watch WGN.

Um..we play on WGN tomorrow.

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 12:38 AM

Isn't that just a simulcast so local viewers without ESPN can see the game?

If you have ESPN, watch it on that station. If not, no need to go whole hog with it. There is plenty of time for this after the Sox season is over in another month or so.

LuvSox
10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I've been trying to stress this point for quite some time. Don't waste your time and money with the Tribune Co.

chisoxfanatic
10-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Voodoo,

I do think we should get Hangar18 to form a demonstration at the Cubune's main headquarters.

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 12:43 AM
I've been trying to stress this point for quite some time. Don't waste your time and money with the Tribune Co.

Yes, this is more an appeal to the masses. Harder to miss a stuck thread in the Clubhouse calling for a boycott.

I still don't know if PHG or Daver will tell me to take it down, but until someone says boo, I'm leaving it here.

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Voodoo,

I do think we should get Hangar18 to form a demonstration at the Cubune's main headquarters.

I say go for it, maybe some of the other news channels will pick it up as an attempt to take a bite out of one of their competitors.

Lift the veil of deceit - the Trib has an adjenda.

CLR01
10-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Voodoo,

Hangar and the one man sit-in. I love it.

I will do my part. Ofcourse I have been doing it for several years.

TheOldRoman
10-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Go to a bar and watch it.

By the way, HUGE thumbs up, Voodoo. The Tribune reaches new lows almost weekly. Today's article was pure garbage. The mindless stooges will believe it. They will feel better that they dont go to the park in the "ghetto". They will spout false quotes from this article, and continue to blindly put money into the coffers of the Trib. Those clowns can go to hell.

This article was most infuriating because it is more lies and propaganda that is used to brainwash the masses. I don't care what Cubs fans think, but they regularly influence what the general public and casual "Chicago fans" think. It is not truthful, it is libel, and it is yellow journalism. The public believes the press, and accepts stereotypes about the Sox without question. The Tribune doesn't post a disclaimer on every article (or any for that matter) pertaining to BOTH teams stating that THEY OWN THE CUBS. Most people are too dumb to realize that every single article is slanted against the Sox. It has to be, it would be bad business to promote another product over your own. The Sun-Times is far too spineless to call the Tribune out, so they continue to play dirty hands.

This is so horrible because other new outlets (ESPN) pick up the Tribune's garbage, spread their lies, and do their work for them. They created the attendance issue, they created the public image of a dangerous Bridgeport, they created the public image of the insanely steep upperdeck (which is slightly less steep than the ones in Cleveland and Denver), and they created the image of the "cold, sterile" ballpark. They brush assaults, property damage, and murders under the "Wrigleyville" rug, while continuing to remind the public of Ligue almost monthly. Until the Suntimes grows stones, it will not change.
**** THE TRIBUNE
Everyone can do their part.

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm on board with this idea. I think that we should boycott the Chicago Sun-Times too.

HotelWhiteSox
10-04-2005, 01:24 AM
No offense, but I think this will work about as well as the Rooney online petition

RedPinStripes
10-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Count me in!

:threadrules:

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 01:27 AM
No offense, but I think this will work about as well as the Rooney online petitionNobody asked for your opinion. Keep it to yourself, *******.

Banix12
10-04-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm on board with this idea. I think that we should boycott the Chicago Sun-Times too.

I beleive the Sun-Times also owns the Southtown so you would have to boycott that too

bruce1
10-04-2005, 01:44 AM
I agree, it has been that way forever.
When I lived there 25 years ago, it was the same then.
Some things never change!

Bruce

The Dude
10-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Nobody asked for your opinion. Keep it to yourself, *******.

Wow, pretty harsh.....anyways.....

I love this boycott idea and will encourage others to do so. I will type up a detailed email sometime this week for the tribsters. Down with biased media coverage!!!!

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 01:47 AM
I beleive the Sun-Times also owns the Southtown so you would have to boycott that too

Well, I can still read the South Town on line without giving the Sun-Times my $$$$

fquaye149
10-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Wow, pretty harsh.....anyways.....
!

I think the point is - whether it will or not work, there's no reason to continue giving this garbage publication our money.

Just because you know you're not going to shut down Phillip Morris doesn't mean you should buy their cigarettes

Banix12
10-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Trust me, from personal experience I can tell you WGN Radio has no actual agenda against the Sox. I can't speak for the paper, but the Radio station is pretty clean. I happen to know that sports director Dave Eanet enjoys going to sox games. Quite a few sox fans work there. And any perceived favoritism is strictly because they are the cubs flagship station and thats who they have ticket giveaways for and sell advertising for.

Also, what's the WSI membership? Just over 6000? And certainly not all of that 6000 actually visit the site on a regular basis. So for the sake of argument lets say you get 2000 people on the site to boycott tribune. In the third largest media market in the country that is nothing. That many people move into the city in a month I bet.

You know what your best move might be. Contact the sun-times and tell an editor that you are going to boycott. You might be able to get them to run a sensationalistic piece blasting the tribune on your behalf (they do it once a week anyway, so why not for you?). That gives talk radio something to talk about for a day or two and might get some nice fake outrage from the local media.

A straight up WSI boycott won't work. Perhaps a letter writing campaign, petitions, and getting the competition riled up against them could work.

TheOldRoman
10-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Well, I can still read the South Town on line without giving the Sun-Times my $$$$
**** the Southtown. They should do something to combat the Tribune, but they do nothing. If they ran truthful articles to combat the Trib's lies, it wouldn't reach widestretch, but it would at least change some minds around the south suburbs, where it is now trendy to be a "lifelong" Cubs fan since 2003. When I see Cubs hats in the south burbs, I get pissed, because I know that 95% of them were not Cubs fans 10 years ago.
Furthermore, I hate the Southtown because of Phil Arvia. He is the Eric Zorn of the Southtown sport section. I don't need him to insert his political beliefs into articles. I don't need him to look down on and stereotype Sox fans with his elitist attitude. I was pretty mad at his garbage article yesterday on the "Get up Guy"; the beginning is full of elitist slams at the "white trash sox fans."
If you are not with us, you're against us. In my mind, the Southtown is against us. However, I could care less about the Southtown. The Tribune started this ****, and the Tribune shall feel our wrath.

NardiWasHere
10-04-2005, 02:28 AM

Why has this board become so paranoid and aggressive. People freak out when they see someone dissagree with them, there is so much strange hate for random newscasters/outlets, every other day I see a post bashing Bill Murray or Jim Belushi because they are cub fans (Someone said they wished Jim Belushi was dead)..... This board has the tendency to get very childish sometimes.... It used to be more civil here... I joined last year, but I've been reading posts for a much longer time.

I am the first to admit that there are tons of dumb ESPN analysts, the trib isn't always so positive about the Sox.... but there comes to a point where I think some people rather complain and call people and companies names than talk and watch baseball. If you don't want to buy the trib, fine. If you want to organize a boycott, fine. But don't get so worked up that you type something like the quote at the top of this post. Its dumb.

TDog
10-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Heck, I don't even read newspapers, so this won't be very difficult to do...LOL!....

You really should read newspapers. Newspapers are vital to an intelligent, literate society.

Just don't read the Tribune.

Fuller_Schettman
10-04-2005, 02:46 AM
If I had to choose between the Trib and the SunTimes, there is just no way I could buy a newspaper that runs Moronotti. And after reading that fabulous piece by John Kass, well I think for the first time ever I will be buying the Trib this week.

If nothing else, it will give me a first hand look into what you all are talking about, since I haven't seen a Tribune in over 15 years.

As for WGN, it is my only way to see the Sox once a week on my big screen. So obviously, Tribuneco is not really making any $ off of me.

If we could just get the Heinie Bird to go to Tribune Tower, we could at least claim a decent "South Side" paper perhaps...

Then again, I just might be--

Optipessimism
10-04-2005, 02:48 AM
How about flaming bags of dog poop cleverly placed on the doorstep of reporters' homes? Much easier to orchestrate, much easier for the Cubune to interpret. Afterall, the morons at the Trib could possibly take the drop in sales as a statement by Flub fans refusing to read a paper that portrays the Sox in such a positive light. Who knows what we'd hear then?

JB98
10-04-2005, 02:56 AM

The Sun-Times owns just about everything in the suburbs too, including the paper I work for in Aurora. We've actually had Cubs fans call up and bitch about our "pro-Sox sports section." We get most of our copy from the Sun-Times and the Southtown, so it's the same stuff that folks around here tend to label "anti-Sox." I guess it depends on each person's individual perspective. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

As for the Cubune, I don't want them on our side anyway. I'm too intelligent to fall for their brainwashing tactics. I don't know if they truly hate the White Sox, but I do believe they hate White Sox fans. Good. **** them. I don't believe I should have to apologize for being a Sox fan. They're not going to lay a guilt trip on me, and they're not going to succeed in their attempt to ruin this great season or these playoffs.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-04-2005, 02:58 AM
I urge all of you to hit the tribune where it hurts -in the wallet. Don't buy the newspaper. Don't watch WGN. Don't listen to WGN.

I've been doing this since 1981 - It is about time Sox fans joined me. LOL

Disclaimer - I have gone to a few cub games since 1981 - mostly either Mets or White Sox contests. I do feel guilty when I go and try to keep purchases beyond the ticket and scorecard to a minimum.

I don't think ESPN is much better and I refuse to give money to buy cable and have it sent to Disney / ESPN, Viacom among other companies though I do listen to White Sox games which I am glad are leaving the station after this season. :smile:

I don't believe in supporting the Sun Times or their subsidiaries either and do not buy their newspapers.

WSI (White Sox Interactive), WSJ (Wall Street Journal) and the links on the Drudge Report are good enough to cover all my news needs.

Great thread, great idea and hopefully we will have great execution.

Go Mods!!!

Go WSI!!!

Banix12
10-04-2005, 04:03 AM
This is getting way too paranoid for my tastes. I realize there is something to this but frankly I read newspapers and I tend to read them not just for how the stories affect my favorite sports team. I won't boycott. Partially because it's pointless and mostly because I know many of these people are far less organized than you would expect.

jenn2080
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Just a suggestion and no I didn't talk about it with other mods on the site, so they may express their disdain or displeasure for my editorializing here. I ain't locking this thread, feel free to let us know how you feel. Even if you disagree, maybe we can enlighten you...

Okay, enough disclaimers...

In recent months and especially in the past few weeks, the agenda of Tribune corporation has become transparently clear. Their constant slams at everything White Sox from the fans to the ballpark to the neighborhood to the way the team treats the neighborhood have reached a point where denial can only be seen as a river in Egypt. Intentional attack with intent to destroy the Sox team or merely a horrible example of group think it matters not, they cannot be allowed to go unchallanged or to continue to believe there are no consequences.

I urge all of you to hit the tribune where it hurts -in the wallet.

Don't buy the newspaper.

Don't watch WGN.

Don't listen to WGN.

Don't give them one red nickel from your pocket.

Do contact any advertisers that work with them and tell them you will be boycotting their product.

Do urge fellow Sox fans to join in this boycott of the corporation that owns our closest financial competitor which seems hellbent on maligning our good name, our team and our very fandom.

Step up and say it loud.

Real Sox Fans Don't Read the Tribune.

AMEN!!!!!!!! I saw the article in the Red Eye yesterday about people living on the South Side around Comiskey....How is that relevant to them making the playoffs....or the fact that the Sports section of the Trib has a picture of Schilling that took up most of the page and then a small little pic of Dye....

And stop saying that this is their first playoff appearence since 2000...like its been a 100 yrs since they were in the playoffs. I do believe that before 2003 the Cubs had not been in the playoffs since 1998...if I do my math correctly at 6:45 am that is 5 yr also...wow amazing...Cubs fans and everything involving the Cubs enjoy being miserable all the time.

soxfan26
10-04-2005, 08:07 AM
It's hard not to boycott the Tribune company from out here on the East Coast so I'm with you! **** 'EM!!!

Hangar18
10-04-2005, 08:14 AM

I think a number of people have NOT been buying Cubune Entertainment Products for a while, but I agree its time to make this Official. Someone posted EVERYTHING the Cubune is involved with, including the HUGE number of newspapers. Time to make that OFFICIAL (sticky that list) and start to make a conscious effort to not buy that paper and boycott their products. They love the Cubs .........and go out of their way to make us look bad, ignore us. Ive got some choice words for ESPN also ......but thats another thread. The Tribune Entertainment Conglomerates policy of Corporate Terrorism is over .....

Irishsoxfan
10-04-2005, 08:23 AM
It's possible that I have never contributed financially to the cubune empire (although by even visiting their website I've probably increased their advertizing revenue somehow). However I had planned on securing some front-page headlines for framing and hanging on my office wall to commemerate this years success (hopefully the WS version). Can someone advise me on what paper best identifies with the Sox so I can try and source that one? Thanks.

batmanZoSo
10-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I'm in favor. I've never been a Tribune reader because even without the cubs bias, you have an awkward, floppy rag more suitable for wiping one's arse than reading comfortably at a bus stop. As for WGN, the telecasts are fine. They're not able to screw us over with that. Plus, it is a superstation and we are seen all over the country when we're on it.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Can I get special dispensation? Mrs. PHG reads Tempo and Pants and Sweetpea like the comics.

:redface:

Rocky Soprano
10-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Count me in!

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Trust me, from personal experience I can tell you WGN Radio has no actual agenda against the Sox. I can't speak for the paper, but the Radio station is pretty clean. I happen to know that sports director Dave Eanet enjoys going to sox games. Quite a few sox fans work there. And any perceived favoritism is strictly because they are the cubs flagship station and thats who they have ticket giveaways for and sell advertising for.

Also, what's the WSI membership? Just over 6000? And certainly not all of that 6000 actually visit the site on a regular basis. So for the sake of argument lets say you get 2000 people on the site to boycott tribune. In the third largest media market in the country that is nothing. That many people move into the city in a month I bet.

You know what your best move might be. Contact the sun-times and tell an editor that you are going to boycott. You might be able to get them to run a sensationalistic piece blasting the tribune on your behalf (they do it once a week anyway, so why not for you?). That gives talk radio something to talk about for a day or two and might get some nice fake outrage from the local media.

A straight up WSI boycott won't work. Perhaps a letter writing campaign, petitions, and getting the competition riled up against them could work.

That's why I encouraged people to tell their friends and family.

You don't think 2000 less subscriptions will be noticed? That would be a starting point. What happens if we can get that number to 10K over the course of the off season? Trust me... they'll notice if that happens.

I have no problem with telling them WHY you are discontinuing service either. "I'm a Sox fan. I will no longer pay to read your lies and slander about my favorite team."

Also, it matters not whether some subsidiary of Tribune Corp. is "less biased against the Sox". All the money goes to the same pot eventually.

I cannot tell others what to do and I won't expect everyone to follow through. I only hope we can get enough people involved to make a statement that will be noticed.

Realist
10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been on board with the spirit of this thread for some time now. I take it one step further by not buying the Sun-Times because I don't want to contribute one hot cent to the Hiney Bird's salary. I don't buy or read the Sun-Times or the Cubune.

For those of you bitching about how a few thousand people aren't going to make much of a difference, this isn't about pragmatism. This is a matter of principle. If you're 3 x 7, you should know by now that more than a few countries have been founded with the spark of a few thousand people of principles.

Go Sox!

cubhater
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM

Look at it this way... how about WSIers spread the word to other Sox fans to boycott that rag as a momentum builder? And they tell two other Sox fans who tell two other Sox fans and so on. 6000+ is more than attainable.

Another idea is to make t-shirts that say 'Boycott the Trib and it's affiliates for unfair biased Sox coverage'. Spread the word!

JRIG
10-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Can I get special dispensation? Mrs. PHG reads Tempo and Pants and Sweetpea like the comics.

My ferrets like to use the Sunday jobs and auto sections. They're quite thick and absorbant! :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 11:00 AM
My ferrets like to use the Sunday jobs and auto sections. They're quite thick and absorbant! :cool:

I once used the Sunday Cubune to chase away the neighbor's cat. He's lucky it didn't break his spleen.

nasox
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Here you guys go, a complete bio of the tribune company:

http://www.publicintegrity.org/telecom/analysis/CompanyProfile.aspx?HOID=8033

Frater Perdurabo
10-04-2005, 11:20 AM
If you must use the Tribune's web site to get information, here's a way to sabotage their bottom line even more:

1. Since you must register with them to access their web content, use a fake e-mail address so they cannot spam your e-mail account. Or, set up a free hotmail account, check it once, abandon it, and then use that e-mail address.

2. When they ask you for contact information, use a fake name, a fake non-Chicago-area mailing address and a fake phone number. Don't make them obviously fake or use curse words. Make them seem realistic so that when they sell your info to marketers, the marketers will send spam snail mail materials to addresses that are not real. This will cost the advertisers money, with no possibility of ROI (return on investment) and in time make them realize that advertising with the Tribune, or buying the Trib's mailing list, is a bad investment!

3. If and when the Tribune's web site asks for demographic information, put down that you are an 87 year-old (male or female) with a tiny personal income and no discretionary income whatsoever. This will skew their advertising demograpic data and therefore make the Tribune less appealing to advertisers, meaning the Tribune will lose money in the long run.

There is a sense in which this deliberate economic sabotage hurts them even more than a boycott. :tongue:

chitownhawkfan
10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I think to make this truly effective we need to somehow start an email chain, with all of WSI's willing members adding not only their email's, but everybody in their address book as well. We could circulate a message similiar to the first post, send it to the Trib, as well as asking people to pass it to everybody in their address book.

Bring down the evil empire! Stone by small stone!

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I think to make this truly effective we need to somehow start an email chain, with all of WSI's willing members adding not only their email's, but everybody in their address book as well. We could circulate a message similiar to the first post, send it to the Trib, as well as asking people to pass it to everybody in their address book.

Bring down the evil empire! Stone by small stone!

Um please no... If you want to talk to other WSI members, do it through the forums. Please do not use WSI's database to start one more chain e-mail.

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 11:31 AM
If you must use the Tribune's web site to get information, here's a way to sabotage their bottom line even more:

1. Since you must register with them to access their web content, use a fake e-mail address so they cannot spam your e-mail account. Or, set up a free hotmail account, check it once, abandon it, and then use that e-mail address.

2. When they ask you for contact information, use a fake name, a fake non-Chicago-area mailing address and a fake phone number. Don't make them obviously fake or use curse words. Make them seem realistic so that when they sell your info to marketers, the marketers will send spam snail mail materials to addresses that are not real. This will cost the advertisers money, with no possibility of ROI (return on investment) and in time make them realize that advertising with the Tribune, or buying the Trib's mailing list, is a bad investment!

3. If and when the Tribune's web site asks for demographic information, put down that you are an 87 year-old (male or female) with a tiny personal income and no discretionary income whatsoever. This will skew their advertising demograpic data and therefore make the Tribune less appealing to advertisers, meaning the Tribune will lose money in the long run.

There is a sense in which this deliberate economic sabotage hurts them even more than a boycott. :tongue:

May I suggest the following fake addresses...

Any even ending number in the 1000 block of Addison

Any odd ending number in the 1000 block of Waveland

Any even ending number in the 3600 N Sheffield

Any odd ending number in the 3600 block of N Clark St.

That way they will be paying big money to send advertising mail to their own company.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-04-2005, 11:40 AM
You don't think 2000 less subscriptions will be noticed? That would be a starting point. What happens if we can get that number to 10K over the course of the off season? Trust me... they'll notice if that happens.

Who knows - with they way newspapers including the Tribune keep revising their inflated reader base count we can put them out of business :smile: .

The thing I don't understand is why people on this board continue to buy the Tribune, get upset, rant about it and then buy it again. The definition of insanity it to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result. If the articles are the same day in and day out it is not "news" it is propaganda. Same with the Sun Times and their pathetic columnists. You can add Joe Cowardly at the Southtown as well.

And don't even get me started on the clowns in Bristol - ESPN has knocked our national IQ down 10 points minimum.

Mickster
10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Hangar and the one man sit-in. I love it.

HUNGER STRIKE! HUNGER STRIKE! HUNGER STRIKE!

:D:

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Why has this board become so paranoid and aggressive. People freak out when they see someone dissagree with them, there is so much strange hate for random newscasters/outlets, every other day I see a post bashing Bill Murray or Jim Belushi because they are cub fans (Someone said they wished Jim Belushi was dead)..... This board has the tendency to get very childish sometimes.... It used to be more civil here... I joined last year, but I've been reading posts for a much longer time.

I am the first to admit that there are tons of dumb ESPN analysts, the trib isn't always so positive about the Sox.... but there comes to a point where I think some people rather complain and call people and companies names than talk and watch baseball. If you don't want to buy the trib, fine. If you want to organize a boycott, fine. But don't get so worked up that you type something like the quote at the top of this post. Its dumb.You really need to get over yourself. If you and that other idiot don't like Voodoo's thread, stay the hell out of it. That would be much more "civil" than whining.

:crossdresser

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I've had people call my house asking if I want to get a subscribtion to the Cubune. It's usually my wife who answers the phone and she tells them straight up "No, we're Sox fans." *click* :D:

The same thing happens when we go to Soxfest and they try to get you to sign up for something whenever you walk past their booth...

Dan H
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM

I thought voodoochile asked for opinions when he started the thread. This is ridiculous.

Frater Perdurabo
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
However, I might also suggest that we Sox fans stop linking to articles on the Tribune's web site. That only causes hits to their web site.

I respectfully suggest that if the mods are so inclined, any threads or posts linking to any Tribune article be merged into a thread to be stuck in the Roadhouse. I also humbly suggest the thread be titled:

"*Official* Cubune Sox Hate Trolling Terrorism Thread":redneck

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought voodoochile asked for opinions when he started the thread. This is ridiculous.Find something else to bitch about, Dan. I know you're a little hard pressed with the Sox winning the division. Aren't you a little old to be an RWAC? :rolleyes:

NardiWasHere
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
You really need to get over yourself. If you and that other idiot don't like Voodoo's thread, stay the hell out of it. That would be much more "civil" than whining.

Get over myself? I'm not the one that flips out when someone disagrees... Voodoo's thread was fine. I'm not arguing the merits of the thread, just the reactionary behavior that you seem to keep showing.
Even if you disagree, maybe we can enlighten you...

See? He doesn't insult someone who has a differing opinion. That being said, I actually agree with a bias out there (Tribune Co has a conflict of interest, I doubt its anything personal tho!), I just dissagree with the over the top responses you seem to give...

maurice
10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
WGN Radio has no actual agenda against the Sox.

Tom Shaer recently disagreed with this statement, citing his own personal knowledge of the inner workings at WGN.

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Get over myself? I'm not the one that flips out when someone disagrees...Oh, except you just did. :rolleyes:

I repeat, get over yourself. We don't need you to police this board. :redneck

HotelWhiteSox
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
You really need to get over yourself. If you and that other idiot don't like Voodoo's thread, stay the hell out of it. That would be much more "civil" than whining.

Since the reply was to me, I never said it was dumb idea, but the Tribune is powerful, I don't think it would have any affect, especially since many Sox fans already do this, including me...

Keep my opinion to myself? What is the point of a message board then? I mean, he said it wasn't closed because he wanted opinions, but whatever, I didn't know it was a cheerleader thread, even though I didn't say the idea was dumb

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
I didn't know it was a cheerleader threadI guess you weren't paying much attention. What the heck, it's pretty much impossible to have any kind "feel good" thread around here. Do you really think Voodoo thought he was going to put the Cubune Corp. out of business? He was just trying to get a little revenge. Your comment didn't add anything and wasn't necessary. Neither were those of your defenders. If Voodoo wants to rant, let him rant. He works his ass off around here.

bigfoot
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM

www.comics.com (http://www.comics.com) will help out P & S/pea

Mrs. PHG's Tempo addiction........

Have you considered rehab? :rolleyes:

NardiWasHere
10-04-2005, 09:54 PM
I guess you weren't paying much attention. What the heck, it's pretty much impossible to have any kind "feel good" thread around here. Do you really think Voodoo thought he was going to put the Cubune Corp. out of business? He was just trying to get a little revenge. Your comment didn't add anything and wasn't necessary. Neither were those of your defenders. If Voodoo wants to rant, let him rant. He works his ass off around here.

I don't want to pick a fight... but dude, seriously... re-read what you say to people and then figure out why you think its impossible to have a "feel good thread"... I'll let Voodoo rant. Even if I disagreed with him, I'm not going to call him an idiot and tell him not to speak his mind (your technique). What's the point of a message board if the moderators bash anyone with differing views?

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't want to pick a fightYet you have repeatedly. Again, get over yourself. We do not need you to police this board. Either mind your own business, or if you insist on policing a board, please start your own.

Banix12
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
That's why I encouraged people to tell their friends and family.

I have no problem with telling them WHY you are discontinuing service either. "I'm a Sox fan. I will no longer pay to read your lies and slander about my favorite team."

Also, it matters not whether some subsidiary of Tribune Corp. is "less biased against the Sox". All the money goes to the same pot eventually.

I cannot tell others what to do and I won't expect everyone to follow through. I only hope we can get enough people involved to make a statement that will be noticed.

Judging from this thread and attitudes, frankly I would be suprised to find out that there are currently 1000 people on this board who currently subscribe to the Tribune.

I currently don't subscribe but I think if a poll was put up it would be an interesting idea to see how many people actually do subscribe to what paper here.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I guess you weren't paying much attention. What the heck, it's pretty much impossible to have any kind "feel good" thread around here.

Wrong!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59013

:cool:

FarWestChicago
10-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Wrong!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59013

:cool:LOL!! :thumbsup:

Banix12
10-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Tom Shaer recently disagreed with this statement, citing his own personal knowledge of the inner workings at WGN.

I don't know who Shaer is citing as his sources but from my personal knowledge of the inner workings at WGN (friends with a few producers there) my original statement is correct. Any perceived bashing toward the sox is primarily because they promote the cubs more than the sox, after all they are the flagship station. It's not a secret agenda against the White Sox but more of a benign favoritism toward the cubs because frankly it plays on their station and that's what they should promote (like any flagship station should).

TheDarkGundam
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Judging from this thread and attitudes, frankly I would be suprised to find out that there are currently 1000 people on this board who currently subscribe to the Tribune.

I currently don't subscribe but I think if a poll was put up it would be an interesting idea to see how many people actually do subscribe to what paper here.
A poll is a good idea, i'd like to see how it would turn out.
Anyway, my family doesn't have a subscription, but my dad buys the sunday tribune everyweek (all i read is Dave Barry in the tribune magazine)
P.S. that's where I got the quote from my sig

StockdaleForVeep
10-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Don't watch WGN.

Don't listen to WGN.

But i do like that new show supernatural

IloveARow
10-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok, ok don't beat me but I usually watch the WGN morning show. I DON'T subscribe to the Cubune because the few times I've picked up the Sunday paper I've quickly developed a hernia and the vein in my forehead gets dangerously close to popping. What I noticed about the WGN morning show is that this morning they have actually been playing a lot of white sox game footage! (I guess nothing short of a total Red Sox blowout gets attention for southsiders in this town.) However, I'm getting really sick of Ana Belaval and Pat Tomasulo going to bars that are supposedly "White Sox-Friendly" and making jokes about the lack of WS fans.... Its obvious that they are picking locations devoid of real fans so they can make it look as though we aren't supporting our team. I'm tired of witnessing the Cubune temper tantrum and I will now be finding an alternate morning news source!!!

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Ilovearow

welcome to WSI!

maurice
10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't know who Shaer is citing as his sources

He cited personal knowledge from when he was associated with WGN and friends who currently work at WGN. I have no personal knowledge one way or another, but your denial here seems to be a non-denial:

Any perceived bashing toward the sox is primarily because they promote the cubs more than the sox, after all they are the flagship station. It's not a secret agenda against the White Sox but more of a benign favoritism toward the cubs because frankly it plays on their station and that's what they should promote (like any flagship station should).

I don't listen to WGN if I can help it but, to the extent that they actually "bash" the Sox and not the cubs (like the Chicago Tribune does), that's bias. To the extent that they promote the cubs and not the Sox during general programming -- i.e., programming other than (1) a cub game, (2) pre- or post-game, or (3) a commercial for an upcoming cub broadcast -- that's bias and not comparable to the coverage on the Sox flagship station. Moreover, the fact that they are the flagship station has everything to do with the fact that they are owned by the same mega-corporation as the cubs. It's not like there was an open bidding process. Thus, the ownership situation causes the bias, at least indirectly.

As somebody recently acknowledged, the main problem isn't the fact that Trib-owned media outlets are biased. The main problem is that they deny bias, claim that they're "fair-and-balanced," and then (when confronted with overwhelming evidence of bias) blame the problem on Sox fans. Finally, many in this thread would disagree that the bias projected by the Trib media empire is "benign." It's clearly intentional and has a very real negative impact on Sox revenues.

maurice
10-05-2005, 03:53 PM
However, I'm getting really sick of Ana Belaval and Pat Tomasulo going to bars that are supposedly "White Sox-Friendly" and making jokes about the lack of WS fans.

I don't remember if this was WGN, but a TV news crew recently showed Sox fans rooting for the Sox at a neighborhood bar during a regular-season weekday day game. They followed with the inevitible comment that there weren't enough Sox fans in the bar . . . at 2:00 p.m. on a work day. *****, and excuse us for having jobs.

Cue the Lee Elia rant.

miker
10-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm in. I don't need the papers or the radio or the TV 'cause I get all my White Sox news from flyingsock.com!

SweetnesSox
10-06-2005, 10:54 PM
seriously, we don't need the Trib or the Times because whitesoxinteractive.com (new to the site) now gives me all the news I need! However I am a subscriber to the city's working man's paper: the Chicago Sun-Times. and Tom Shaer has told me personally (I used to play baseball with his son, Paul) that the Trib has a Cub bias. Obviously. He's probably just trying to be PC. WEAK

SOXintheBURGH
10-06-2005, 11:56 PM
If I buy a paper, I buy the Southtown. So, yeah! That'll show 'em!

DSpivack
10-07-2005, 12:39 AM

A similar idea is to use bugmenot.com, a great resource for any newspaper website.

munchman33
10-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Don't forget to stop going to chicagosports.com.

Everytime you do its money for them.

Wsoxmike59
10-07-2005, 05:09 PM
This is courtesy of my wife Michelle, her email to the Cubune to cancel our subscription.

This headline . . .

Choking on champagne
Sox clinch title, end talk of late-season collapse

...was the last straw. We have been subscribers for over two decades but if you have such a bias against the White Sox, which is also a CHICAGO team, that you cannot report on and celebrate their victory properly, then we no longer have any use for your newspaper.

Please cancel our subscription and refund any pre-paid subscription fees that you may be holding to:

WTG Wsoxmick59 :D:

BTW, did anybody else notice today's front page of the sports (10/7/05) section in the Cubune they decided to show all the teams that have "choked" a 2-0 series lead in all the best of 5 Playoff series???

Eerily similar to the 1964 Phillies Choke story on Sept. 1st about "blowing" a 7 1/2 game lead on 9/1 during the final month. Just coincidentily the Sox had a 7.5 game lead on Sept. 1st as well.

I HATE THE TRIBUNE!!!!!:angry:

TornLabrum
10-07-2005, 10:08 PM
This is courtesy of my wife Michelle, her email to the Cubune to cancel our subscription.

This headline . . .

Choking on champagne
Sox clinch title, end talk of late-season collapse

...was the last straw. We have been subscribers for over two decades but if you have such a bias against the White Sox, which is also a CHICAGO team, that you cannot report on and celebrate their victory properly, then we no longer have any use for your newspaper.

Please cancel our subscription and refund any pre-paid subscription fees that you may be holding to:

WTG Wsoxmick59 :D:

BTW, did anybody else notice today's front page of the sports (10/7/05) section in the Cubune they decided to show all the teams that have "choked" a 2-0 series lead in all the best of 5 Playoff series???

Eerily similar to the 1964 Phillies Choke story on Sept. 1st about "blowing" a 7 1/2 game lead on 9/1 during the final month. Just coincidentily the Sox had a 7.5 game lead on Sept. 1st as well.

I HATE THE TRIBUNE!!!!!:angry:

I think Kenny Williams put it best when referring to the media:

:KW

"We...don't...care."

soxfanreggie
10-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I used the Tribune once...someone spilled soda...it really soaked it up...:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I used the Tribune once...someone spilled soda...it really soaked it up...:D:

I nearly broke the spleen of the neighbor's cat when I threw the Sunday Cubune at it, chasing him away from our house. He doesn't come around anymore. Thanks, Cubune.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-08-2005, 11:30 AM
voodoo=rosa parks?

i'm sorry i'm buying all the newspapers for safekeeeping. and the sun times has good coverage but their layout, pictures (very few color ones) are cluttered around car advertisements. The tribunes layout is more impresive and whatnot.

i'm really hungover so maybe that explains my feelings

voodoochile
10-08-2005, 02:18 PM
voodoo=rosa parks?

i'm sorry i'm buying all the newspapers for safekeeeping. and the sun times has good coverage but their layout, pictures (very few color ones) are cluttered around car advertisements. The tribunes layout is more impresive and whatnot.

i'm really hungover so maybe that explains my feelings

Let me be clear. I am a collector too. I am not advocating that anyone not buy a newspaper after a big event (or even two) especially if they are a collector. In fact I have some friends sending me their subscription copies now. Of course they aren't Sox fans and aren't going to join the boycott, and the newspapers are already paid for to boot.

If people follow through on this the other 95% of the time, it WILL make an impact. Besides, even the Trib can't deny that the Sox just did something pretty cool. Call it reenforcing positive behavior. When they do something good, pat 'em on the head and say, "good multi-media conglomerate". :tongue:

The rest of the time, vote with you checkbook and send a clear message. We won't tolerate the crap they write about our team ANYMORE.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Let me be clear. I am a collector too. I am not advocating that anyone not buy a newspaper after a big event (or even two) especially if they are a collector. In fact I have some friends sending me their subscription copies now. Of course they aren't Sox fans and aren't going to join the boycott, and the newspapers are already paid for to boot.

If people follow through on this the other 95% of the time, it WILL make an impact. Besides, even the Trib can't deny that the Sox just did something pretty cool. Call it reenforcing positive behavior. When they do something good, pat 'em on the head and say, "good multi-media conglomerate". :tongue:

The rest of the time, vote with you checkbook and send a clear message. We won't tolerate the crap they write about our team ANYMORE.

You have to stick to your guns and never cave in. Principles. Beside - these Front Pages Look Great for collectors:

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/924841_frontpage.jpg

AJ Pierzynski celebrates his insurance run in the ninth as Mike Timlin, Jennifer Garner and 35,495 other fans look on in horror as the team who dominated the American League all season sweeps the Boston Red Sox.

yurohi
10-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Daver edit:

This site was not meant for you to promote your items on Ebay, do it again and I will toss you.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-08-2005, 04:28 PM
does borders sell out of town newspapers? like stuff from boston?
:hijacked:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
does borders sell out of town newspapers? like stuff from boston?
:hijacked:

City News on Six Corners (Westside of Cicero Ave just North of Irving Park) has over 60 out of town newspapers and six thousand magazines. They have a store in Evanston as well but I have never went to that store. It is a treasure of hard to find magazines. I have no connection to the store other than being a customer for over 20 years.

http://www.citynewsstand.com/

I usually don't go to chains unless I get a gift certificate.

To stay on topic make sure not to purchase the LA Times, Newsday, The Baltimore Sun, Hartford Courant or any other Tribune product.

Here is the link detailing their tentacles across all media:

http://www.tribjobs.com/about/webguide/index.html

BainesHOF
10-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I subscribed to the Tribune for the last 15 years or so, but finally get fed up with its biased baseball coverage and cancelled my subscription in May. We were off to a great start and the bias didn't change one bit and in fact became more glaring. Enough was enough.

CHEESESOXER
10-09-2005, 12:38 PM
I'd like to add to this.

I think it would be a great thing to tell ALL espn advertisers that we will boycott their products as well since those BeanBlowers boycotted us all year.

gogosox675
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm on board for boycotting the Cubune too!

SweetnesSox
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
can't we start a petition or something? I dunno I just visited my friend in DC for a protest, so I'm all petition ready. Let's sign something saying we'll never support anything the tribune company is a part of. we can all pick a day to walk over to the trib building and hand it personally to the higher-ups. hahaha oh my pipe dreams...:rolleyes: to see the look on their faces... here's an artists rendering:http://www.robwestcott.com/images/angry-dean.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
10-12-2005, 01:58 AM
The Tribune had several people pimping their newspaper in some Sox fan pack with other assorted crap inside. I hope no White Sox fans bought it. I saw it and shook my head.

Hagan
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I am in. I have always hated WGN!

cwsox
10-14-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't get this thread at all

I have not seen this horrible antiSox bias in the Trib, but rather a lot of great articles

sure they are pro cubs but thy own them and there has been nothing that has done other than cover the Sox properly this season

I have a subscription to the Trib, am a life longer reader. and will continue

no one can name anti antiSox stuff in the Trib this season

Wsoxmike59
10-15-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't get this thread at all

I have not seen this horrible antiSox bias in the Trib, but rather a lot of great articles

no one can name anti antiSox stuff in the Trib this season

Teal??? Did you miss the 1964 Phillies and 1984 Cub Choke comparison stories??

<Sigh> I guess we'll have to let Hangar fill you in.

cwsox
10-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Teal??? Did you miss the 1964 Phillies and 1984 Cub Choke comparison stories??

<Sigh> I guess we'll have to let Hangar fill you in.

I read the paper every day -

there were no 84 cub stories that i recall, thrwe was discussion of 69 IIRC, *** do you want the newspaper to do? As we went from a 15 game leadf to 1.5 game lead, those strories were journalism. It was no insult to you. our Sox, or WSI or any other sox board out there to run a story saying the Sox were blowing a lead, and the Trib properly celebrated the Sox pulling it back together. You don't think the paper should run stories about what is taking place? Your'd rather the paper ignore the ongoing baseball stories that you don't like? I didn't notice WSI failing to note the Sox struggles and the historic nature of it if it were complete.

<Sigh> Perhaps I shouldn't have to explain journalism to you, but I do.

TommyJohn
10-15-2005, 10:59 AM

there were no 84 cub stories that i recall, thrwe was discussion of 69 IIRC, *** do you want the newspaper to do? As we went from a 15 game leadf to 1.5 game lead, those strories were journalism. It was no insult to you. our Sox, or WSI or any other sox board out there to run a story saying the Sox were blowing a lead, and the Trib properly celebrated the Sox pulling it back together. You don't think the paper should run stories about what is taking place? Your'd rather the paper ignore the ongoing baseball stories that you don't like? I didn't notice WSI failing to note the Sox struggles and the historic nature of it if it were complete.

When the Sox went up 2-0 against Boston, there was a feature story about
how the 1984 Cubs blew their 2-0 lead, along with a list of other teams that
have done the same thing. And don't give me that "well, what do you want
them to do?" There were plenty of other angles to cover besides comparing
them to the 1984 Cubs. But it was part of the pattern. During the season, it
was 1969, for the five game series it was 1984. If the Sox win tonight there
will be a large feature story about 2003, complete with pictures of and
umpteen references to Bartman.

Now, what was that about reading the paper every day? How could you have
possibly missed the big 1984 Cubs story? It was a huge one.

voodoochile
10-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Oh no... please by all means... fill us in... No one here understands what motivates these "journalists" at all.

The trib has been a thorn in the Sox side since they bought the flubbies. They have created issue after issue after issue including yearly stories on the loser Lique, deriding the new ballpark (definitely an issue they created) and many other "problems". They ignore the issues that confront the flubbies and say things like people getting shot outside the ballpark after a game have nothing to do with the team. Their editors change content, create bogus headlines, practically cheer for the Sox to lose and have a bunch of no-talent assclowns covering the team.

Of course they are giving the Sox positive press (for the most part) now. What choice do they have? It's a financial decision - of course I shouldn't have to explain basic business to you but I do...:rolleyes:

I stand behind my statements and I'm still not backing up...

Wsoxmike59
10-15-2005, 12:17 PM

cwsox, no you don't have to explain journalism to me, I get it just fine. I just find it incredible that you don't see a bias in how the Trib reports on the Sox.

The reason I sighed and mentioned Hangar, is that he has posted incident after incident on how the Trib "slights" the Sox in favor of the cubs. This isn't some imaginery slight, it's real, and it's classless.

The Sports Dept. at the Tribune should be a "bias free" zone on how they cover the teams. But the Tribune always takes the low road and never passes up a chance to slam the Sox and their fans.

cwsox
10-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Oh no... please by all means... fill us in... No one here understands what motivates these "journalists" at all.

The trib has been a thorn in the Sox side since they bought the flubbies. They have created issue after issue after issue including yearly stories on the loser Lique, deriding the new ballpark (definitely an issue they created) and many other "problems". They ignore the issues that confront the flubbies and say things like people getting shot outside the ballpark after a game have nothing to do with the team. Their editors change content, create bogus headlines, practically cheer for the Sox to lose and have a bunch of no-talent assclowns covering the team.

Of course they are giving the Sox positive press (for the most part) now. What choice do they have? It's a financial decision - of course I shouldn't have to explain basic business to you but I do...:rolleyes:

Do actually read the Trib? I do. And I'd cancel it in heartbeat if it did anything remotely similar to what you go on about. I think you are confusing cubs.com posts with the Chicago Tribune.

Stand by your statements. It is ok to be wrong. And you represent that well.:rolleyes:

voodoochile
10-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Do actually read the Trib? I do. And I'd cancel it in heartbeat if it did anything remotely similar to what you go on about. I think you are confusing cubs.com posts with the Chicago Tribune.

Stand by your statements. It is ok to be wrong. And you represent that well.:rolleyes:

Um... I know you are... but what am I... Okay, enough name calling and condesension (But... but... but... CWSOX started it! :whiner: )

Seriously. How about this. We agree to disagree and you walk away from my rant thread. There are plenty of people who do agree with me. It's not my fault you don't see what seems plenty obvious to me and many others. The Trib is biased. Whether that bias is intentional, misguided marketing, horrible groupthink or something completely inoccuous is immaterial to me. I want them to fix it. I want them to start treating the Sox like they belong to the city. I want them to start Big Hurt watches BEFORE they get called on it 100 times here at WSI. I want them to drop the outdated stories about how the Cell sucks and print a decent article talking about the upgrades. I want them to apologize to every single Sox fan for bringing up Lique every chance they get. I want them to stop trying to run down my teams attendance for their financial benefit.

I don't think there is a deep enough pink for that last blast of streaming consciousness, and I really don't care. **** THE TRIBUNE! They can climb the **** off my bandwagon anytime now... oh wait... they still haven't actully climbed on it...:rolleyes:

10 to 1 they have a Bartman article Sunday practically predicting the Sox will lose 3 straight...

BarbG
10-16-2005, 02:59 AM
The Trib is biased. Whether that bias is intentional, misguided marketing, horrible groupthink or something completely inoccuous is immaterial to me.
That's actually an understatement. And it applies to the whole paper, period, not just the Sports Section. Granted, all reporting is biased in some way, but the Trib is easily one of the very worst. I'd boycott now because of their pre-playoff smear job - IF I hadn't already been doing so for years.

bruce1
10-16-2005, 09:39 AM
I am in. I have always hated WGN!

I's all in as well!
Screw em all!

Pulaski
10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
The fact is that there are more Cub Fans in Chicago, the Country and the World; therefore, there will always be more Cub articles and more Anti-Sox articles. The Tribune and WGN will do what they need to do to add subscribers, listeners and viewers.

I remember Hangar had a running tally last year about the Sox vs Cub articles in the Sun-Times and Tribune. I believe both papers had more articles about the Cubs and Sox (tried to archive, but could not find final tally).

With this being said why are you not trying to boycott the Sun-Times and every media outlet?

voodoochile
10-16-2005, 01:37 PM
The fact is that there are more Cub Fans in Chicago, the Country and the World; therefore, there will always be more Cub articles and more Anti-Sox articles. The Tribune and WGN will do what they need to do to add subscribers, listeners and viewers.

I remember Hangar had a running tally last year about the Sox vs Cub articles in the Sun-Times and Tribune. I believe both papers had more articles about the Cubs and Sox (tried to archive, but could not find final tally).

With this being said why are you not trying to boycott the Sun-Times and every media outlet?

Trib is bigger and they own the flubbies.

Why do you think there are more flubbie fans (if indeed that is true)? Is it simply the way things have always been, or, is it a product of the trib pushing everything flubbie down our throats at the expense of their crosstown rival? I believe it is a product of the second half of that sentence and I think it's time we did something about it.

nasox
10-16-2005, 05:09 PM

I agree with all you are saying, except I have to call you out on one thing. New Comiskey criticism and degridation is not the product of Cubune bias, but the product of New Comiskey being a sterile park. The park and its surroundings negative perception is the effect of the Cubune, but as far as New Comiskey itself goes, the Cubune did not "deride the new ballpark" alone. Every media outlet did, and a lot of sox fans did as well.

np1000
10-16-2005, 05:54 PM
i am in i only watch wgn when the sox are on.....

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I agree with all you are saying, except I have to call you out on one thing. New Comiskey criticism and degridation is not the product of Cubune bias, but the product of New Comiskey being a sterile park. The park and its surroundings negative perception is the effect of the Cubune, but as far as New Comiskey itself goes, the Cubune did not "deride the new ballpark" alone. Every media outlet did, and a lot of sox fans did as well.

Go back and read the article from the Tribune by their architecture critic. Check the date. This was the first criticism of the ball park.

cwsox
10-16-2005, 10:36 PM
We totally disagree. I read the Trib daily and would never read something that did what you say it does to my beloved Sox. Some of your charges I do not believe could be substantiated (ie bringing up Ligue). Others are subjective observations on both our parts.

Don't buy what you don't want. I will buy what I want.

Ever see Kurasowa's Rashomon? I think we have the Rashomon effect here.

The game is tied 3-3 and back to tv.

Oh, and since you can't post to me without this insulting smilie, I will put it here for your pleasure: :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
10-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Some of your charges I do not believe could be substantiated (ie bringing up Ligue). Complete and total loss of credibility considering we have a thread here where a Tribune editor admits he brings up Ligue constantly. Wow! :o:

voodoochile
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Agree or disagree no longer is the issue here.

The issues is, are we having an impact?

This thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60143) pruned from the one you are reading with posts from someone who registered from the Trib tower says we are. Unfortunately it had to be split off as there was a lot or political talk and because it was really just trolling even if it is trolling by a multi-media conglomorate or a representative of said company.

Keep it up Sox fans, they are starting to get nervous.

"Man bites dog"

"Establishment rails against one man" (or one little old website as it were). :cool:

maurice
10-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Complete and total loss of credibility considering we have a thread here where a Tribune editor admits he brings up Ligue constantly. Wow! :o:

It's shocking that a Sox fan who purportedly reads the Trib every day can deny that the Ligue, '84 cubs, "Somber Streak," "Choke," etc. articles and headlines exist. And that's just this year alone! Did Dan McGrath hack his account? Even Knue doesn't deny that the anti-Sox articles and headlines exist. He just tries to downplay / spin them, and sometimes changes headlines to reduce the clear bias. Unbelievable.
:rolleyes:

PatK
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Oh, and since you can't post to me without this insulting smilie, I will put it here for your pleasure: :rolleyes:

I think :dtroll:is what he's referring to.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2005, 01:29 PM
It's shocking that a Sox fan who purportedly reads the Trib every day can deny that the Ligue, '84 cubs, "Somber Streak," "Choke," etc. articles and headlines exist. And that's just this year alone! Did Dan McGrath hack his account? Even Knue doesn't deny that the anti-Sox articles and headlines exist. He just tries to downplay / spin them, and sometimes changes headlines to reduce the clear bias. Unbelievable.

What's that old saying? Oh yeah, ignorance is bliss.

Pulaski
10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Trib is bigger and they own the flubbies.

Why do you think there are more flubbie fans (if indeed that is true)? Is it simply the way things have always been, or, is it a product of the trib pushing everything flubbie down our throats at the expense of their crosstown rival? I believe it is a product of the second half of that sentence and I think it's time we did something about it.

I agree that the Tribune has a larger circulation; however, the Cubs have a larger fan base because as a kid growing up in the US, you would come home from school and watch the Cubs in afternoon games on WGN. Almost every city has WGN. I have been a die hard fan and season ticket holder. I have accepted the fact that the Sox have a smaller fan base (at the present moment). I do think the Sox are on the verge of something special. With the addition of the new Fundamentals and the other PR moves with new births (free baby blankets and hats and free tickets) in the West Suburbs and Oh,LETS NOT FORGET THE WORLD SERIES, the Sox will start growing their younger fan base which will lead to future season ticket holders.

On a side note, what is ultimate plan? I ask because of the 6,000-8,000 members (plus a few unregistered) on this GREAT fan site, that only a few thousand subscribe to the Tribune; therefore the impact would be minimal if it is a boycott.

You still have accept that the Sun-Times does the same as the Tribune. The Cubs are the bigger story. I have not opened my Tribune today; however, I am sure there are some Cub Stories. As soon as the Sox have the bigger fan base, everything will change.

It is time for the Sox fans to enjoy this unbelievable ride. LETS GO SOX!

voodoochile
10-17-2005, 02:43 PM
On a side note, what is ultimate plan? I ask because of the 6,000-8,000 members (plus a few unregistered) on this GREAT fan site, that only a few thousand subscribe to the Tribune; therefore the impact would be minimal if it is a boycott.

If 2K people ended their subscription and told the Trib why, it would mean something.

If the 6K+ people registered here tell their friends and they tell their friends and they tell their friends, etc. It could mushroom into something much bigger.

If 10K people cancel their subscription, it will hurt them badly. If people go to the advertisers and tell them they won't buy until the Trib cleans up its act, that will hurt them too. If this really takes off and the trib stock drops (yeah, right) the national media might start calling into attention the bias and wonder why a major newspaper doesn't try to be fair in it's reporting or at leas have disclaimers that they own the flubbies on the Sports page.

Why stop now, it's only been a few weeks. Who knows where it is going?

And, in the meantime, I am enjoying seeing people like Arrogant Putz squirm. Don't tell me they haven't noticed, that guy came here just to talk in this thread. We've got a voice too, let it be heard...

Pulaski
10-17-2005, 02:45 PM
If 2K people ended their subscription and told the Trib why, it would mean something.

If the 6K+ people registered here tell their friends and they tell their friends and they tell their friends, etc. It could mushroom into something much bigger.

If 10K people cancel their subscription, it will hurt them badly. If people go to the advertisers and tell them they won't buy until the Trib cleans up its act, that will hurt them too. If this really takes off and the trib stock drops (yeah, right) the national media might start calling into attention the bias and wonder why a major newspaper doesn't try to be fair in it's reporting or at leas have disclaimers that they own the flubbies on the Sports page.

Why stop now, it's only been a few weeks. Who knows where it is going?

And, in the meantime, I am enjoying seeing people like Arrogant Putz squirm. Don't tell me they haven't noticed, that guy came here just to talk in this thread. We've got a voice too, let it be heard...

Keep it up and good luckl!

cwsox
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM

:rolleyes:back at you

you can't handle another opinion, huh?

84 cubs? what did that have to do with this year's Sox, other than that we outdrew them that year which the Trib mentioned. The paper runs pro Sox articles and critical Sox articles, as it does for the team they own. Afraid of criticsm? Afraid of stories that differ from your opinion or aren't all pro Sox? That is not a Sox fan at heart speaking then. We have always welcomed the honest report, when it was Harry calling out our play on the field (or Bob Elson and others before that) or when Hawk and DJ do it now. Is it an affront to you when the Trib quotes Ozzie saying the Sox stink? They have covered it fairly - it is the cubs fans who cried when in 2001 the Trib said the best right fieldr in Chicago was Mags and here we are on the cusp of the World Series and I see a lot of crying and mocking like cub fans do.

Sorry, I do read the Trib every day and have for decades (how often do you read it?) and bet I have been going to Sox park/Comiskey Park/USCF a lot longer than you. Objectively I do not feel you can back up your claims of the Trib ripping he Sox or trying t make them look bad; a factual study would show the opposite. Subjectively, as I said above, everyone's reaction will be their own, what they choose.

Whining about the Trib is like an angels fan whining about umpires. It gets tiresome fast and has no relation to the facts on the field. Boycott them all you want. This thread comes across as a combination of calls for repression and children stomping their feet - "Mikey got a bigger piece than me." What is worse is one of the down sides of some Sox fans, they can't be happy about the Sox and love them, they have to have an enemy, something that they define themselves as hating and that usually is the cubs and the Trib owns the cubs so you transfer your hate.

The Trib has given really great coverage this season and others to the Sox. They also give great covrage to the cubs. They do tilt slightly towards what they own, sometimes, but not always. They are not WSI (or other boards) where non Sox fans are tossed - they cover it as a newspaper that serves not as the Soxubne, and not even much as the Cubune. If newspaper coverage upsets you all so: don't read it.

And as I read in thsi thread: yes, there may be cubs stories in the paper today. Oh my God, how dare they! Shoot them! There were Sox stories in 2003 in the playoffs, too. Is it rationally expected that the other team gets no coverage in its local paper? How dare they speak their name! Gees, we do have some Lenins here. That other team shoudl not exisit, ban the very emntion of them from the press, let their name be removed, so we can have Investia and Pragda.

What would this boycott ask for? Only "pro Sox" coverage? You want to censor the paper? Have we reached the stage where the Sox fan base must approve of all articles before they are published? Who here is Lenin to enforce that? Give me a break and get back in reaity.

And I am thankful that we don not have to reloy on the soun times for Sox coverage, the Trib is always better.

That said, WGN radio does grate at me. So I never listen except on rare occasions and I always get sick of it and turn it off. It is the cubs flagship station. I would expect that from the flagship station, except they really are bad at even doing what they do.

WGN TV is good for those who need the Sox games on GN to see the Sox and their coverage of the clinching and post season was excellent in 59 (they were our staion then, shared with both teams) and in 83, 93, 2000, and this year.

"Predict the cubune headline" is always a fun thread.

Sorry I disagree with the official opinion here. The fray bot high fiving the hate of the day is not worthy of the usual high standards here.

cwsox
10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
What's that old saying? Oh yeah, ignorance is bliss.

Yes, George, it is.

My most recent Sox tat was the two-winged WSI logo. Could have gone with the one-winged Sox version, but went with a nod towards WSI.

Contempt for one's friends is not ignorance nor is it bliss.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, George, it is.

My most recent Sox tat was the two-winged WSI logo. Could have gone with the one-winged Sox version, but went with a nod towards WSI.

Contempt for one's friends is not ignorance nor is it bliss.

Here you go. We noted that even the Cubune's internet editor admits he changes what he knows to be biased headlines to avoid controversy. Here is his post.

I didnít like it much, but I donít work on the newspaper copy desk either. I changed it on our site. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=752780#post752780)

What did Lenin say about facts being stubborn things?

I'm done arguing with you. You don't think the Cubune is biased? Fine, take it up with George Knue. Your beef is with what he already admitted to, not with anything I've written.

Jurr
10-17-2005, 09:02 PM
I love how WGN wouldn't touch any kind of "White Sox - Playoffs" coverage unless it was on the News at 9.
If the Cubs were in the playoffs, they'd have an hour long show every night before the game to hype the game, even if it was going to be on FOX.

WGN showed some September Sox pre-game stuff only when it would be before a WGN game. When you're talking about an ALCS, there should be more of an effort to promote the Sox' success. Instead, people can flip to WGN and find the latest episode of Andromeda (what the **** is Andromeda??)
I found that to be quite chapping to my ass.

The Tribune was nothing but a bunch of Mariottis in different font. They were trying to cover as much of the Sox early September struggles as they could, as it's media custom to try and impact the course of sports through writing. These guys were the last to be picked in dodgeball as kids, wouldn't know which way to step into a jock strap, yet they try to do their parts to determine outcomes of ball games. They knew they were being read by Sox players. They knew they were adding to the tension in that clubhouse, and they enjoyed it.

Yes, it sells papers. Yes, it's what journalists do. However, when it gets to the extremes that the Windsock and the Trib people went to, then you've got a problem.

**** that newspaper. **** the Cubs. **** their drunk fans. I wouldn't piss on one of them if they were on fire. I'm totally on board with the boycot. I hope the tribune prints millions of copies of "Sox extra" material during the World Series, and nobody buys them. Choke on the losses, you bunch of *******s!:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

maurice
10-17-2005, 09:05 PM

you can't handle another opinion, huh?

The existence of an article or a headline is not an "opinion." It's a fact that you are inexplicably denying. That's fine. Keep living in your fantasyland. Just don't try to peddle your crap here without being challenged.

84 cubs? what did that have to do with this year's Sox

That's the point. None of the articles have anything to do with this year's Sox, yet the Trib constantly strains to generate negative coverage. In this example, the Trib ran a series of articles asserting that the Sox were in danger of folding, because non-Sox teams in the past folded under allegedly similar circumstances. Oddly enough, similar articles do not appear when the Cubs actually choke. To the extent that these articles reflect an "opinion," they reflect an extremely anti-Sox biased opinion, which is the point of this thread. Then again, you already knew that because (unlike us pinkos) you read the Trib every day. No, wait. You didn't know that, because it's your "opinion" that we made the whole thing up.

how often do you read it?

Every day but not on my dime.

bet I have been going to Sox park/Comiskey Park/USCF a lot longer than you.

*** does this completely baseless assumption have to do with anything?

Objectively I do not feel you can back up your claims of the Trib ripping he Sox or trying t make them look bad; a factual study would show the opposite.

Another baseless statement. The "claims" are "backed up" with specific links to articles throughout this site, especially in the "What's the Score" forum. Next time, do some research before you start making lazy assumptions, especially about people you've never met.

The Trib has given really great coverage this season and others to the Sox....They do tilt slightly towards what they own, sometimes, but not always.

This is complete and utter BS.

yes, there may be cubs stories in the paper today. Oh my God, how dare they! Shoot them!

I see that you're still the king of the nonsensical strawman argument.

Gees, we do have some Lenins here. . . . Who here is Lenin to enforce that?

Oh, here we go. Now who has a problem with a contrary opinions? Anybody who disagrees with you is LENIN. Got it.

let their name be removed, so we can have . . . Pragda.

*** is a "pragda"? Do you mean Pravda? That's actually a good analogy to the Trib's existing coverage and one PHG has used from time to time, IIRC.

You want to censor the paper? . . . Have we reached the stage where the Sox fan base must approve of all articles before they are published?

Yes, that's exactly what we want. #1 on our list of demands: Voodoo must be appointed head of the Trib editorial board. Is there no end to your ability to pull nonsense out of your ass? All this strawman crap would make Sean Hannity blush.

As far as I'm concerned, the Trib can go on printing their crap, but that doesn't mean that Sox fans need to subsidize their biased anti-Sox coverage. Besides, Trib Co has enough financial problems without a boycott.

"Predict the cubune headline" is always a fun thread.

No, it's a horrible pinko Communist thread. Alert Joe McCarthy's corpse!

jabrch
10-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Three years ago I quit reading that junk. There's just no value to it anymore.

joepoe
10-18-2005, 08:44 AM
I gave up on both the Trib and the Times years ago. We only get the Sunday tribune because my wife wants the ads. WGN radio is not a preset on the car radio. It is a station for old mortards and cubtards. WGN TV is watched for WS baseball. Such choices should be natural standard procedure and not necessitate a lemming-like "boycott movement"

PatK
10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL@ the obvious trolling on this thread.

voodoochile
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I gave up on both the Trib and the Times years ago. We only get the Sunday tribune because my wife wants the ads. WGN radio is not a preset on the car radio. It is a station for old mortards and cubtards. WGN TV is watched for WS baseball. Such choices should be natural standard procedure and not necessitate a lemming-like "boycott movement"

Lemming-like? :rolleyes:

I would think lemming-like behavior would be continuing to buy a newspaper and watch a TV station whose company continues to run down your team simply because they are "the better choice" - especially in today's world where there are so many choices for where to get your news.

cwsox
10-18-2005, 09:55 PM
might I suggest, for those inclined, that a boycott of the paper will not accomplish what you want. It is too broad, too diffuse, and you will not raise the numbers necessary and papers will withstand attempts to control their content.

However: when there is an article or column that offends, flood that writer and/or the editor with protesting emails. Anywhere from 30-125 emails on a particular column/story will get plenty of attention, especially as it will be referencing a particularly defined offending piece of writing.

fox2
10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm going to put my two cents' worth in here, even though I'm probably going to make some people mad. Admittedly, my view of things might be blurred by the fact that I have lived 5000 miles from Chicago for the last 27 years. I am not, and haven't been, exposed to any daily junk appearing in the Chicago newspapers. My only source for information about the Sox is the internet, this site and the articles posted by the Tribune and Sun-Times, as well as major league baseball, espn, fox, etc.
I have seen a lot of things that people here complain about, particularly the east coast bias of the national media. But (and here is where I might get in trouble), I can honestly say that I have been happy with the playoff coverage of the Sox in the Tribune. Maybe I've missed some, but I can't think of a single article I saw during this time which wasn't upbeat. They are giving praise where it is due (which is pretty much everywhere), criticizing jerks who talk only about luck and bad umpiring, and saying "We don't care" to eastern bigots who can't believe we're going to have a midwestern world series. Even the self-professed Cub fans are grudgingly congratulatory, and often very funny.
The Sun-Times site is another story. There, I have found a lot of the garbage that gets people here (including myself) upset, lousy stadium in a lousy neighborhood, 2003 was more exciting, the Sox are in trouble because the long rest is going to kill their pitching, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I have stopped going to their site altogether. Why the Sun-Times should be so anti-Sox when the Cubs are owned by the other guys is beyond me.
Ok, maybe some (or even all) of the Tribune writers are just jumping on the bandwagon, and those of you who have been exposed to them every day for a long time take offense at that and don't like it. As I said before, I'm a long way from home, and I'm enjoying this too much to let anything, even past transgressions, get in my way. I love reading about the Sox, and I've found a lot of enjoyable reading at the Tribune web site lately.
Then there's one more thing I have to say. There is an awful lot going on in the world besides baseball, and some of it is a lot more important. To stop reading newspapers because of a perceived bias against your favorite team is really going too far. I'm not trying to say I agree with the Tribune's editorial policy (to be honest, I don't even know what their editorial policy is), but, people, you need to be informed, and letting Fox News be your only source is downright dangerous.
Well, that's my opinion, and you can have at me. After all, you know what they say about people with paranoia. They might be right!

voodoochile
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm going to put my two cents' worth in here, even though I'm probably going to make some people mad. Admittedly, my view of things might be blurred by the fact that I have lived 5000 miles from Chicago for the last 27 years. I am not, and haven't been, exposed to any daily junk appearing in the Chicago newspapers. My only source for information about the Sox is the internet, this site and the articles posted by the Tribune and Sun-Times, as well as major league baseball, espn, fox, etc.
I have seen a lot of things that people here complain about, particularly the east coast bias of the national media. But (and here is where I might get in trouble), I can honestly say that I have been happy with the playoff coverage of the Sox in the Tribune. Maybe I've missed some, but I can't think of a single article I saw during this time which wasn't upbeat. They are giving praise where it is due (which is pretty much everywhere), criticizing jerks who talk only about luck and bad umpiring, and saying "We don't care" to eastern bigots who can't believe we're going to have a midwestern world series. Even the self-professed Cub fans are grudgingly congratulatory, and often very funny.
The Sun-Times site is another story. There, I have found a lot of the garbage that gets people here (including myself) upset, lousy stadium in a lousy neighborhood, 2003 was more exciting, the Sox are in trouble because the long rest is going to kill their pitching, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I have stopped going to their site altogether. Why the Sun-Times should be so anti-Sox when the Cubs are owned by the other guys is beyond me.
Ok, maybe some (or even all) of the Tribune writers are just jumping on the bandwagon, and those of you who have been exposed to them every day for a long time take offense at that and don't like it. As I said before, I'm a long way from home, and I'm enjoying this too much to let anything, even past transgressions, get in my way. I love reading about the Sox, and I've found a lot of enjoyable reading at the Tribune web site lately.
Then there's one more thing I have to say. There is an awful lot going on in the world besides baseball, and some of it is a lot more important. To stop reading newspapers because of a perceived bias against your favorite team is really going too far. I'm not trying to say I agree with the Tribune's editorial policy (to be honest, I don't even know what their editorial policy is), but, people, you need to be informed, and letting Fox News be your only source is downright dangerous.
Well, that's my opinion, and you can have at me. After all, you know what they say about people with paranoia. They might be right!

There are plenty of other news sources out there to get in-depth news coverage from.

I agree that people should be informed, but most of what you get from the Trib you can get from the CNN or other news source website.

There is also the Daily Southtown and the ST. Though the times isn't very good with Sox coverage either at least they don't own the flubbies.

Also, where do you think the national media gets its information from? It isn't the Sun-Times or Southtown. The Trib is the only "national" newspaper in the city. Most of the other sources are picking up Trib articles and passing the info along.

In either case, everyone has to do what they think is right. I just believe it is time to send a message. They can clean it up and start acting like the Sox belong to and in the city too or they can wonder why their circulation is dropping.

I agree that the playoff coverage has been better from what I have heard and from the newspapers some friends sent me from Chicago, but now they have no choice. All season long it was collapse this and collapse that while continuing to churn out the flubbie hype in another typical flubbie season of bad baseball.

We want equal billing and if they were truly objective, the Sox would be getting a LOT more positive press on a consistent basis than the just-plain-losers who play in a rundown ****hole of a stadium in the middle of a dangerous and volatile bar district.

Skippy
10-19-2005, 06:02 PM

New Comiskey was a sterile park.

U.S. Cellular Field is a beautiful baseball palace with a little something for everybody.

mterraza
10-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Please don't take offense by this but I think you're WAY off the mark about this non-bias in the media. Any Sox fan knows that the Trib has continuously 'hyped' up their second-rate ballclub to ridiculous levels and have downplayed anything southside. From that fraud Sosa to Wood, they've always made their disneyland-cartoon-joke-of-a-ballclub to be bigger than they appear. (just to sell tickets btw). Their journalists do it in subtle ways where they appear like they're giving the Sox a compliment but in reality they're dismissing them. Don't believe me? Read this article coming out during the Sox World Series week:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051018sherman,1,6392845.column?coll=chi-sportscolumnistfront-hed

This journalist is OBVIOUSLY a cub fan because he lists:

1. The 2003 and 1984 NLCS choke jobs as top Chicago stories of all-time. (ONLY CUB FANS EQUATE LOSING AS SOME SORT OF ACCOMPLISHMENT)

2. He mentions sammy sosa's steroid-induced home run chase of 1998 as something to remember.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
This journalist is OBVIOUSLY a cub fan because he lists:

1. The 2003 and 1984 NLCS choke jobs as top Chicago stories of all-time. (ONLY CUB FANS EQUATE LOSING AS SOME SORT OF ACCOMPLISHMENT)

1. You need quotation marks around the word journalist.

2. The 1984 NLCS Game 5 Choke Job wasn't even the best story that day - The Beard Walter Payton broke Jim Brown's All Time Rushing Record at Soldier Field against the Saints. The cubs crying about how spilled Gatorade caused their Game 5 collapse was a distant second.

maurice
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Any Sox fan knows that the Trib has continuously 'hyped' up their second-rate ballclub to ridiculous levels and have downplayed anything southside.

You don't even need to be a Sox fan to know this. As reported elsewhere on this site, several non-Trib-affiliated media types have said the same thing.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
1. You need quotation marks around the word journalist.

2. The 1984 NLCS Game 5 Choke Job wasn't even the best story that day - The Beard Walter Payton broke Jim Brown's All Time Rushing Record at Soldier Field against the Saints. The cubs crying about how spilled Gatorade caused their Game 5 collapse was a distant second.

I knew I wasn't the only one who remembers that! We had that on the wall of our patio for all the Cub fans that would come over and sit there. The headline was in big, bold letters:
Paradise lost

In the upper right hand corner was a tiny picture of Walter and a mention of his breaking the record.
Geez, the guy doesn't score a Super Bowl touchdown and his record breaking feat is shunned to also-ran status. It's a wonder Payton stuck with Chicago as long as he has, but the man had class.

rookiewhitesox
10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
commerative special section of the White Sox.
what about ChiSuntimes

gsang
10-23-2005, 04:36 PM
agreed

Palehose13
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Do you think this little boycott is one reason the tribune may possibly be selling the cubs?

Oh c'mon...was teal really necessary? :wink:

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
This is kind of funny, but I actually heard about some Cubs fans boycotting WGN-TV because of their White Sox playoff coverage.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought they boycotted because there's not enough groaning and stories on the 1966 Cubs? :tongue:

voodoochile
10-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Do you think this little boycott is one reason the tribune may possibly be selling the cubs?

Oh c'mon...was teal really necessary? :wink:

LOL! Depends on how many people have canceled subscriptions recently. :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
I thought they boycotted because there's not enough groaning and stories on the 1966 Cubs? :tongue:

:tealpolice:

The 1966 Chicago Cubs (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1966&t=CHN) played 162 games during the 1966 season and won 59 games, lost 103 games, and finished in tenth position with a .364 winning percentage in front of 635,891 fans.
:o:

chisoxfan23
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I would love to help boycott the tribune, but I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I can't get the Sun-Times up here. They don't print it. The tribune is printed in Holland, Michigan so it's available to me. I really need a newspaper so i don't think i can take part. if anyone knows where i can get the sun-times in GR help me out.

SoxFanRivrForest
10-27-2005, 02:25 AM
A huge revenue source for the Cubune is from car dealerships. Boycott cars I say! Bikes are fun!! Ride a bike and get some exercise, save some money, and save the planet. Go Sox!!

Sad
10-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Buy every paper :rolleyes:
we're Champs!

SouthSide_HitMen
10-27-2005, 11:22 PM
On the Northwest Side I had to go to five Sun Times boxes (and two convenience stores - 7 sold outs) before I could find one with newspapers. Tribune newspapers were in each and everybox I passed.

Keep up the boycott Sox fans!!!