PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 Red Sox should look familiar

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I haven't seen this comparison made anywhere yet, so I'll claim to be the first to have made it.

The 2005 Red Sox are very much like the 2000 Chicago White Sox.

Let's start with the keys to the team. The 2005 Red Sox have Manny and Ortiz. The 2000 White Sox had Frank and Magglio. Manny and Ortiz were a tiny bit better in '05 than Frank and Maggs, but the different is not very signficant.

They both had very balanced lineups that led their leagues in runs scored by a significant margin; the 00 WSox with 978 and the 05 RSox with 900. Teams were scoring more in general in 2000, so that accounts for some of the difference on that part.

The front four of the two teams were also very similar. One starter who wasnt bad (Wakefield and Sirotka), and three others that were mediocre at best. Neither team could really call starting pitching it's strong point, not by any stretch. The one difference between the two are the ages of the pitchers, but I don't see that as being a very significant difference. The 00 WSox actually pitched fairly well in the 2000 ALDS.

The 2000 White Sox probably had one more good bullpen arm than the 05 Red Sox, just enough to call it a decent bullpen, whereas the Red Sox bullpen has been pretty bad.

Neither team was exactly known for its defensive prowess.

Both teams won 95 games.

But what is the point? The 2000 White Sox was a good team and the 2005 Red Sox is a good team, but if the 2000 White Sox can be swept away in the playoffs, so can the 2005 Red Sox. I'm not saying that it will happen, but I think the 2000 White Sox are the perfect example of how a team like the Red Sox can be beat. Bats can go relatively cold for a three or four game stretch and the Red Sox arent exactly the best equipped team to handle that.

DaveIsHere
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
I like it, Go Right Sox!!!!!!!!!!!

HotelWhiteSox
10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Let's start with the keys to the team. The 2005 Red Sox have Manny and Ortiz. The 2000 White Sox had Frank and Magglio. Manny and Ortiz were a tiny bit better in '05 than Frank and Maggs, but the different is not very signficant.

Stop while you're ahead Hawk!

batmanZoSo
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
We have a supreme pitching advantage in every game. By all rights we should sweep them. In fact, we will.

PAPChiSox729
10-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Very interesting analysis analysis, MRKARNO. All I can say is that I hope that the fates of both teams are the same.

:cool:

RowanDye
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Let's start with the keys to the team. The 2005 Red Sox have Manny and Ortiz. The 2000 White Sox had Frank and Magglio. Manny and Ortiz were a tiny bit better in '05 than Frank and Maggs, but the different is not very signficant. .

Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez weren't coming off a World Series victory the year before. Our pitching can beat them, but the offense needs to put up 4-5 runs a game instead of 2-3.

SOXintheBURGH
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
:threadrules:

Yes!

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez weren't coming off a World Series victory the year before.

Yes, but in terms of what they actually produced, the numbers are pretty similar. Manny and Ortiz having won the World Series last year has little effect on their ability to avoid a combined 2 for 20 series like Maggs and Thomas had against a pitching staff inferior to the 05 White Sox staff. I doubt that will happen, but I dont see why what happened in 2004 would make it any less likely.

Murphy10
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Amen to all of what u said!:D:

mike squires
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Our pitching can beat them, but the offense needs to put up 4-5 runs a game instead of 2-3.

That is the Key!!! A few more won't hurt either!!!:D: We have to do well in situational hitting and do the little things. If Konerko or Dye hit a three run bomb then that is icing on the cake.

pudge
10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Yes, but in terms of what they actually produced, the numbers are pretty similar. Manny and Ortiz having won the World Series last year has little effect on their ability to avoid a combined 2 for 20 series like Maggs and Thomas had against a pitching staff inferior to the 05 White Sox staff. I doubt that will happen, but I dont see why what happened in 2004 would make it any less likely.

2 for 20? Screw that, they're going zero for 20. We're not gonna give 'em a dang thing to hit.

samram
10-03-2005, 11:25 PM
We have a supreme pitching advantage in every game. By all rights we should sweep them. In fact, we will.

Correct. I've said this before, but the key to the Red Sox WS victory last year, even with the great offense, was the trio of Lowe, Martinez, and Schilling. They don't have that them this year, nor do they have three guys who can duplicate what they did.