PDA

View Full Version : You'll like this one: article on fanbases

woodenleg
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Sox fans, you're gonna love this article. The guy picks teams based on whose fans are the most annoying. I think that's as good a criterion as any, and that's how I usually decide whom I'm rooting for:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/243118_chad03.html

Yankees and Red Sox fans. The only reason I prefer the pinstripes devotees is that they are easily identifiable: loud, obnoxious, pushy, opinionated, never wrong -- and always sitting next to you no matter what saloon you're in. At least you can spot the Derek Jeter idolatry and Jersey beer belly five bar stools away.
Red Sox fans are trickier. They lay low, lull you into a false sense of security, then just when you are most relaxed -- bang! -- it's that woe-is-me-and-the-curse-of-the- Bambino-and-don't-get-me-started- on-Bill-Buckner-and-sure-now-we've- got-our-first-World-Series-title-since- 1918-but-we're-still-20- championships-behind-the-Bronx- Bombers routine.

It takes a nickel to get a Red Sox fan started and maybe fifty bucks to shut him up.

At least New York sports fans don't pretend to be George F. Will wannabes; Red Sox fans have this literary lilt to their verse. Yankees fans shout at you, Red Sox fans talk down to you.

White Sox fans. Their best quality, plain and simple, is that they're not Cubs fans. Every other Cubs fan is either a writer, a broadcaster or a Hollywood type, and they babble on publicly about how their team hasn't won the World Series since 1908. Yes, that's a long time. We know.

Well, the White Sox haven't won a World Series since 1917, which is also a long time. Plus, it's been pretty dry since then overall, including 1919, when they had the best team but the breaks didn't go their way. I credit these Chicagoans with the fact that they have enough sense and decency to absorb the pain in the privacy of their own homes.

It seems that every time I see one of these articles, it's from a paper out west somewhere.

kittle42
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Actually, this is Norman Chad's weekly syndicated column. It appears in the Sun-Times, as well, midweek.

Hitmen77
10-03-2005, 08:46 PM
tomorrow's headline:

Tribune Co. Announces Hostile Takeover of Seattle Post-Intelligencer.