Jerko
10-03-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8923476

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear this. I remember him well. :(:

Jerko
10-03-2005, 03:43 PM
He was a nice guy. I met him YEARS ago when I played softball at Old Comiskey during a Valentine Boy's Club night. He was on the Orioles by then and I had a Brewers hat on (who were division rivals back then IIRC) and I said "sorry about the hat" and he said "oh, that's ok" and shook my hand. I'm bummed. :whiner:

fox2
10-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Just read this
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8923476

I'm sorry to hear it. I can still hear my mother talking about "that Irishman in center field" for the Sox.

chisoxfan64
10-03-2005, 03:56 PM
R.I.P. Pat Kelly.

I used to use a black bat in little league because Pat Kelly used one and I thought it looked really cool.:cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/pat_kelly_autograph.jpg

1978 Baseball card (couldn't find a White Sox card).

Too young - you will be missed not only by your baseball fans but by all those you helped with your Christian Ministry. I'll say a few prayers for your family during this difficult time.

Dick Allen
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Way too young. His brother was Browns RB Leroy Kelly.

DumpJerry
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051003&content_id=1236367&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I met him once when I was in 6th grade and he lived on the same floor as a friend of mine. On Halloween, we knocked on his to Trick or Treat. He gave us each a one dollar bill (pre Free Agency days) which he autographed.

Class guy and good ballplayer. He'll be missed.

MODS: Just noticed this in the Parking Lot. Sorry. He was a former Sox player.

Clembasbal
10-03-2005, 06:34 PM
For a second I thought you were talking about Pat Kelly, 2B for the NYY about 15 years ago.

R.I.P. Pat

HITMEN OF 77
10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
He was a good ball player for the Sox. R.I.P Pat.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Kelly

Vernam
10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I used to use a black bat in little league because Pat Kelly used one and I thought it looked really cool.:cool:Which he called the "Soul Pole," btw.

Dick Allen was my idol, but Pat Kelly was my favorite player back then. They were running buddies and were known to have a Scotch or two in bars near where I grew up (I-55 and Rt 83). PK was a speed merchant -- whatever happened to that term? -- but he hit with real authority, not a Punch and Judy hitter. Okay, I'm just dating myself now . . .

Sad news.

Vernam

DrCrawdad
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
IIRC wasn't Pat Kelly known to steal home?

veeter
10-03-2005, 07:53 PM
One of the players that make up my early Sox memories. Too young but I'm sure he's with God. RIP

TornLabrum
10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
This is really sad news. Kelly was a favorite of mine from those '70s teams...and he was a great human being, too. He will be missed.

SoxFanSince67
10-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I was so excited when the Sox traded for him...

DickAllen72
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Which he called the "Soul Pole," btw.

Dick Allen was my idol, but Pat Kelly was my favorite player back then. They were running buddies and were known to have a Scotch or two in bars near where I grew up (I-55 and Rt 83). PK was a speed merchant -- whatever happened to that term? -- but he hit with real authority, not a Punch and Judy hitter. Okay, I'm just dating myself now . . .

Sad news.

Vernam

Pat also had a great arm in right field before he hurt his shoulder.

I remember going out to meet the team at Midway airport and Pat and Dick Allen were talking about going to see "Uncle Doug." They seemed to be looking forward to a good time ahead.

RIP Pat Kelly, you will be missed. May God bless the Kelly family at this time.

flo-B-flo
10-03-2005, 08:45 PM
R.I.P. Pat. Great athlete and even better person. Condolences to his loved ones.

Fredsox
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
When I became a White Sox fan Pat Kelly was the right-fielder and lead-off man under Chuck Tanner. In 1971 me and a friend double-dated to the Sox game. We sat in the right-field lower deck because that's all we could afford. We snuck up to the front row and we pointed out Pat Kelly to our girlfriends. He turned and waved to us and our dates were quite impressed with us. He was a good ball player and more importantly a good man.

Rest in peace PK.

BarbG
10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I knew who Pat Kelly was and loved to watch him play years before I could understand half the rules of baseball.

Very sad news. Rest in peace Mr. Kelly.

BainesHOF
10-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Pat Kelly was one of my favorite players as a kid. I remember one game sitting behind the Sox dugout. Everytime he came into the dugout, he'd wave to my little sister and I and gave us the peace sign. He also gave us a ball. Even as young as I was back then it was obvious that he was a cool guy.

I only wish I got an autographed ball of him somewhere along the line. I collect single signed balls of Sox all-stars and of course he was one.

Good bless you, Pat. I hope you get all fastballs right down the middle from now on.

Wsoxmike59
10-04-2005, 06:45 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051003soxkelly,1,790210.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Bob Vanderberg has a nice article on P.K. today. I remember the picture they had hanging in the lower concourse at old Comiskey Park right behind home plate. The one where Ed Herrmann was blocking home plate on an airborne Bert Campaneris of the Oakland A's.

Herrmann took that throw from Pat Kelly who threw out Campy with a bullet throw home to preserve a 1 run victory for Wilbur Wood in the heat of the 1972 pennant race.

Campaneris came in spikes high on Herrmann, and just shredded his pants from the thigh down. Herrmann took P.K.'s throw on the fly and Campaneris just bounced off "Fort" Herrmann for an inning ending D.P.

I can still remember Herrmann limping off the field holding his uniform pants up so they wouldn't fall off.

http://www.chicago-baseball-photos.com/h/herrmanned/index.htm
(You can find the photo here on this page..scroll down to Ed Herrmann and Bert Campaneris 1972 Sox Park)

MeteorsSox4367
10-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Pat Kelly was one of the first Sox players I remember because when I was a little kid, my dad would watch the games and every time Kelly was at bat, my dad would say, "Oh, no. Here comes good ol' double-play ball Kelly."

Eternal rest grant unto Mr. Kelly, O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

TDog
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
In 1972, Pat Kelly and Jay Johnstone were guest coffin openers one Friday night for the original Svengoolie on Channel 32's "Screaming Yellow Theater."

"That was a great opening day win, guys (14-0 over Texas in the home opener). What did you do Pat?"

"I got two triples and a double."

"That's great. What did you get Jay?"

"I got splinters from sitting on the bench."

I got to meet Pat Kelly in Florida about 10 years ago. He was a good man and he will be missed.