PDA

View Full Version : Umpires Announced for the Post Season

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051003&content_id=1236053&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CREW B
AL Division Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox:

HP John Hirschbeck
1B Larry Vanover
2B Mark Wegner
3B Bill Miller
LF Mike Everitt
RF Dan Iassogna

Joe Brinkman is at the Houston vs. Atlanta series. (Always a White Sox fan favorite).

Ed Montague heads up the San Diego vs. St. Louis series.

Joe West heads up the NY Yankees vs. Anaheim series.

Lets hope Brinkman's crew gets knocked out of the playoffs for the next round.

Iwritecode
10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051003&content_id=1236053&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CREW B
AL Division Series between the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox:

HP John Hirschbeck
1B Larry Vanover
2B Mark Wegner
3B Bill Miller
LF Mike Everitt
RF Dan Iassogna

I don't recognize any of the names. I guess that's a good thing. :cool:

bennyw41
10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Do they not rotate positions during the series?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Do they not rotate positions during the series?

They do - Positions listed are game one assignments. They will rotate each game.

I am not sure if the crews stay together and the best crew advances (which is how I think the NFL does it once the playoffs start) or seniority or other provisions in their union contract / agreement with MLB dictate something else. Bud broke the back of the umpire union so maybe baseball has a greater say as to who advances throughout the playoffs. When MLB is in charge, however, I am not sure it is a good thing.

Anyone who knows how the ALCS and World Series umps are selected please post. I really want Brinkman to be gone before he works one White Sox game.

Brian26
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
No Wendlestedt or Gorman, so that's a good thing.

Corlose 15
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Isn't Hirschbeck the umpire who got a faceful of spit from Roberto Alomar? I've heard of Vanover and Iassoggna, couldn't tell you anything about them though. :cool:

MUsoxfan
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Or Froeming for that matter. I like all the guys on the list for the most part

peeonwrigley
10-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Its little things like the RF & LF umpire, the bunting around the stadium, etc that make me that much more excited for playoff baseball.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Its little things like the RF & LF umpire, the bunting around the stadium, etc that make me that much more excited for playoff baseball.

:reinsy

White Sox Baseball - First Class Entertainment

Sad
10-03-2005, 12:22 PM

yes sir it is for sure...

hawkjt
10-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Could be worse but Iassongna is very bad. He missed a home-run call last season against us. Also called the ridiculous balk on Burls this season that inspired the infamous Hawk rant. Burls got flustered and had a bad outing. It was an unbelevable call. I have seen this guy be very bad behind the plate also. I cannot believe that he is one of the best available.

Thankfully froemming and weindelstat are not included. But Iasssongana is just as bad. Sure hope he is not behind the plate or at 1st base for any games.

A_ROW33
10-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Could be worse but Iassongna is very bad. He missed a home-run call last season against us. Also called the ridiculous balk on Burls this season that inspired the infamous Hawk rant. Burls got flustered and had a bad outing. It was an unbelevable call. I have seen this guy be very bad behind the plate also. I cannot believe that he is one of the best available.

Thankfully froemming and weindelstat are not included. But Iasssongana is just as bad. Sure hope he is not behind the plate or at 1st base for any games.

Yeah Iassongna is bad, hopefully he won't rotate from RF to 1st, or anywhere else on the infield for that matter, for game 2 with Buehrle pitching.

I remember from years passed Wegner isn't great either, hopefully he's improved.

DaleJRFan
10-03-2005, 03:38 PM
For anyone interested, here are the umpires for the Sox/Sox ALDS series:

John Hirschbeck
Larry Vanover
Mark Wegner
Bill Miller
Mike Everitt
Dan Iassogna.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-playoffs-umpires&prov=ap&type=lgns

veeter
10-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Iasoggna could be trouble.

SOXintheBURGH
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
No one named Hunter on there thankfully.

CLR01
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
For anyone interested, here are the umpires for the Sox/Sox ALDS series:

John Hirschbeck
Larry Vanover
Mark Wegner
Bill Miller
Mike Everitt
Dan Iassogna.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-playoffs-umpires&prov=ap&type=lgns

Thanks for the breaking news. :rolleyes:

Brian26
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the breaking news. :rolleyes:

LOL :D:

Dub25
10-03-2005, 04:09 PM
No Hunter or Froeming? I thought since they acted like they were best then they were best.

billyvsox
10-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Be afraid of Iassognia. Be VERY afraid.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Iassongna is terrible. Every time he works a game, he's involved in some sort of dispute.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Be afraid of Iassognia. Be VERY afraid.

Exactly. He's awful.

NDSox12
10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
This looks like a decent crew to me. It will be interesting to see Hirschbeck's strike zone in game one. He's been known to give a few inches off the plate (remember the Pedro game at Fenway a few years back?) That probably won't help Contreras a whole lot since he's more of an up and down pitcher as opposed to in and out. I think Clement is sort of the same though, so probably not a big advantage either way.

Outside of Hirschbeck, I'm not that familiar with the crew. For the most part, I'd say that is a good thing because the good umpires tend to be the ones you don't hear a lot about.

soxwon
10-03-2005, 06:31 PM

no laz diaz- bummer he's great!!!

gf2020
10-04-2005, 12:29 AM
As per Chicagosports.com, John Hirschbeck willbe the crew chief for the first two games of the series and will work Game 1 behind home plate. His crew includes Larry Vanover, Mark Wegner, Bill Miller, Mike Everett and Dan Iassogna..

Do we have a history with any of these guys?

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 12:42 AM
No Hunter Wendlestadt? You Can Put it On the Boaaarrd YESSS!

CLR01
10-04-2005, 08:11 AM
As per Chicagosports.com, John Hirschbeck willbe the crew chief for the first two games of the series and will work Game 1 behind home plate. His crew includes Larry Vanover, Mark Wegner, Bill Miller, Mike Everett and Dan Iassogna..

Do we have a history with any of these guys?

AGain thanks for the breaking news. :rolleyes: