PDA

View Full Version : Tigers fire Trammell

cbrownson13
10-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Detroit fired their manager, Alan Trammell today after a 71-91 record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2179572

cleanwsox
10-03-2005, 10:05 AM
300 losses over 3 years. That will do it to you everytime. At least they found another area where they can waste some more money, unless they promote from within. I'm sure they will overpay for someone.

Huisj
10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I guess it's Trammel's fault that Ordonez had a hernia/knee problems, that Percival broke, that Guillen was hurt, that Farnsworth got traded, and that IRod quit taking steriod and decided to get on base about 30% of the time. He seemed to become a scapegoat for a whole lot of other stuff that happened to that team this year. Not sure that this was the right decision. Getting rid if pissy moaning Rodriguez may have been a better step.

Kogs35
10-03-2005, 10:13 AM
high expectations with ma$$ and i-rod, and clearly they didnt produce. NOT suprised that trammel is gone

cbrownson13
10-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm not surprised that he's gone, but I'm not sure it was the right move. I think a lot of people felt they had a better team than they really did.

DaleJRFan
10-03-2005, 10:27 AM
This really blows. But it's business. He'll land on his feet elsewhere. The Tigers have NO pitching. How is a guy supposed to compete with the Twins, Indians and WHITE SOX when he has NO pitching? Sucks.

On the other hand, I was getting really sick of watching Trammell grown, shake his head, yell onto the field, flail his arms... at every close pitch, every close call at first. Get over yourself already.

D. TODD
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
There was alot of dissention on the team in the second half of the season. It was widely thought that Trammel lost control of the squad, and he would pay for this the price at the end of the year. I guess they were right.

tlebar318
10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
maybe they give Kirk Gibson a shot?

maurice
10-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Yet, for some reason, Dave Dumbrowski remains bulletproof.

:?:

Uncle_Patrick
10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Not really a big surprise. It sucks for the guy, he was a great player, he just never had all the pieces on that team to field a consistent winner.

MUsoxfan
10-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Yet, for some reason, Dave Dumbrowski remains bulletproof.

:?:

Good point. They need veteran starting pitching that's NOT Jason Johnson. Plus, ridiculous contracts for the injured and washed up isn't smart. Isn't Higginson still making an obscene amount of money? Alan Trammel had all the pieces in place

longshot7
10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Terrible decision. Dombrowski is an idiot. The Tig's had NO players - look at that pitching staff. Are you kidding me? It's too bad, cuz Trammel is a lifetime Tiger - guess he'll have to reinvent somewhere else ala Joe Torre.

cbrownson13
10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Now they're saying in the ESPN article that the Tigers will look to interview Jim Leyland first.

Huisj
10-03-2005, 03:47 PM
When you look at the whole situation, you almost gotta feel bad for Trammel and for lifelong Tiger fans who loved Trammel. When the Tigers hired him 3 years ago, they basically set him up for failure right away. He inherited a terrible team that they made even worse for his first year, and then they made some "big" moves by throwing money at a few names while still not giving him any time to develope a decent core of players (or pitchers), and so now they call him a failure.

The tigers basically screwed Trammel with the team they gave him and the hype they created by signing Maggs and IRod, because they've made it look like he doesn't have any business managing when really you kind of got to look at the GM for the lack of a team he gave him to work with and the injuries he had to deal with. I bet he still has success somewhere else where he's actually given a fair chance.

What happened to the old days where teams used to keep managers around for more than 2 or 3 years at a time? Other than a few (Torre, Cox, LaRussa I guess, and who else???), no teams stick with the same guy for more than a few years. As soon as a team doesn't finish in the playoffs or over .500 (depending on where they were when the manager started), the manager is canned.

Do you guys think too much blame goes to the manager a lot of times when it's often more the players and GM's fault?

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
When you look at the whole situation, you almost gotta feel bad for Trammel and for lifelong Tiger fans who loved Trammel. When the Tigers hired him 3 years ago, they basically set him up for failure right away. He inherited a terrible team that they made even worse for his first year, and then they made some "big" moves by throwing money at a few names while still not giving him any time to develope a decent core of players (or pitchers), and so now they call him a failure.

The tigers basically screwed Trammel with the team they gave him and the hype they created by signing Maggs and IRod, because they've made it look like he doesn't have any business managing when really you kind of got to look at the GM for the lack of a team he gave him to work with and the injuries he had to deal with. I bet he still has success somewhere else where he's actually given a fair chance.

What happened to the old days where teams used to keep managers around for more than 2 or 3 years at a time? Other than a few (Torre, Cox, LaRussa I guess, and who else???), no teams stick with the same guy for more than a few years. As soon as a team doesn't finish in the playoffs or over .500 (depending on where they were when the manager started), the manager is canned.

Do you guys think too much blame goes to the manager a lot of times when it's often more the players and GM's fault?Sometimes it is the manager. (See Manuel, Jerry) In this case I thought the Tigers underachieved a bit from what I expected. I expected them to be about a .500 team and they came in significantly below that. But there's no doubt that DUMBrowski is more responsible for the failings of the Tigers than Trammel.

LongLiveFisk
10-03-2005, 04:15 PM
maybe they give Kirk Gibson a shot?

Getting a former player as a first-time manager is the cheap route...we'd never do that! :D:

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2005, 04:19 PM
http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/NFL/52_MattMillen_WhiteT.JPG and http://media.scout.com/Media/MLB/589740_DaveDombrowski.JPG
coincidence?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Trammell deserved a better fate. He had nothing to work with. Nothing.

:maggs
"Ow, my knee! I mean my hernia!!!"

Baby Fisk
10-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Absolutely! The GM should be taking the fall here.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM

:maggs
"Ow, my knee! I mean my hernia!!!"

Agreed. If all you have on your roster is ****, your team is going to play like ****. I'm not sure why people expected anything different to happen.

Banix12
10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't know much about how well Trammell managed over the last couple years, you'd have to ask a Tigers fan that question, maybe there were problems beyond the lousy talent that we, who see them only a few series a year, don't catch on to.

Frankly though, Trammell was originally only brought in as a distraction for the fans because they knew the team was going to blow. If he somehow became a good manager it would have been a bonus. Now that they are looking to actually compete they probably want to bring in somebody with more experience with winning baseball.

Yeah it was a no-win situation, but he knew the job was lousy when he took it.

D. TODD
10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Again, I've heard that his relationship with team members went sour. If that was the case you can not get a new roster, but you can get a new manager. I think the "losing of control" over his team led to the dismissal. This decision was made a while ago they were just waiting until the season ended. Not wanting a interm guy who may become a fan/player favorite.

SOXSINCE'70
10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
I guess it's Trammel's fault that Ordonez had a hernia/knee problems, that Percival broke, that Guillen was hurt, that Farnsworth got traded, and that IRod quit taking steriod and decided to get on base about 30% of the time.

No,it's Kenny's fault!! Everything is Kenny's fault!!:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Again, I've heard that his relationship with team members went sour. If that was the case you can not get a new roster, but you can get a new manager. I think the "losing of control" over his team led to the dismissal. This decision was made a while ago they were just waiting until the season ended. Not wanting a interm guy who may become a fan/player favorite.

Honestly, I'm not sure if even this was Trammel's fault. Consider the players he had on his roster- Ivan Rodriguez, Kyle Farnsworth (initially), Dimitri Young, and That Other Guy. With the exception of Rodriguez, these other players had been on mediocre teams for most of their careers. Farsnworth is only now learning what it takes to win, since he's in Atlanta. Young has played on several losing teams, and everyone here knows about That Other Guy. If Trammel did lose control of his team, I'm inclined to blame what happened on the players, not on him.