PDA

View Full Version : Braves re-sign Javier López

Viva Magglio
12-08-2001, 01:09 AM
Missed opportunity for us?

bringbackrobin
12-08-2001, 01:36 AM
Nah, let Mr. Johnson do his job. The kid can hit. Well, he can walk anyway.

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Nah, let Mr. Johnson do his job. The kid can hit. Well, he can walk anyway.

He'll have to do his walking from the bench. Alomar will be the starter if there is baseball in 2002.

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2001, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Missed opportunity for us?

We don't have any money according to Kenny Williams.

bringbackrobin
12-08-2001, 02:23 PM
Alomar will be the starter until he gets hurt a week or two into the season. I would be willing to put my reputation on the line and venture that, unless we go outside the organization for another catcher, Mark Johnson will get more plate appearances than Sandy Alomar Jr next season.

Jerry_Manuel
12-08-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Alomar will be the starter until he gets hurt a week or two into the season. I would be willing to put my reputation on the line and venture that, unless we go outside the organization for another catcher, Mark Johnson will get more plate appearances than Sandy Alomar Jr next season.

I agree that Alomar will get hurt, I was just saying he will be the starter until that happens. I'm not that worried since it looks like there won't be any baseball in 2002.

bringbackrobin
12-08-2001, 04:25 PM
I don't know, I think the odds are probably in favor of their being baseball next season. The owners have fallen flat on their face with this contraction thing, and I think for the first time in recent memory the support of the interested public largely rests with the Players Association. If worst comes to worst, the Union can stand up and say "we support baseball in Minnesota and Montreal and would be willing to put our differences aside and simply renew the old contract for one more year." The owners would be under immense pressure to accept such an offer. I seriously doubt that they have the guts to press for a lockout in such a situation.