PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "Experts" Make Picks

MeteorsSox4367
10-03-2005, 08:38 AM
In what should be as surprising as cold weather in January, two of ESPN's "experts" picked against the Sox in the ALDS. Harold "Master of the English Language" Reynolds picks Boston in four, saying they and the Yankees are playing their best ball now.

Mike Golic on ESPN Radio also picked against our Sox. He said that if the Sox are going to beat Boston, they have to pitch well. DUH!! Hey, Mensa - Have the Sox not pitched well for the last 162 games? Is that not the primary reason they're in the playoffs? Moron.

At least Mike Greenberg did pick the Sox. God, I hope he's right. All I know is I'll be there Tuesday wearing my Pierzynski t-shirt and cheering like hell for the good guys.

harwar
10-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Yea,steve phillips says we are going to win.That guy has some nerve as he has been ripping us all year long.

samram
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Yea,steve phillips says we are going to win.That guy has some nerve as he has been ripping us all year long.

Actually, Phillips has done a 180 on the Sox and has been very upfront about saying he was wrong. I think he even went directly to Ozzie to apologize. This is definitely something to note from a guy who works for a network that demands no accountability from its personnel.

Sad
10-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Golic doesn't know his rear-end from a hole in the ground...
stick to football & eating boyo

harwar
10-03-2005, 09:17 AM
I think he even went directly to Ozzie to apologize.

If that is true then he's ok in my book.
I respect someone who is up front with you and tell the truth no matter what and people who can admit that they are/were wrong.

bobwsx
10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Yea,steve phillips says we are going to win.That guy has some nerve as he has been ripping us all year long.back in spring training how many of us thought this team would be this good?

daveeym
10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Actually, Phillips has done a 180 on the Sox and has been very upfront about saying he was wrong. I think he even went directly to Ozzie to apologize. This is definitely something to note from a guy who works for a network that demands no accountability from its personnel. yeah what he said. Phillips jumped on the Bandwagon some time ago and gets reamed everytime he tries to defend the Sox.

chopperjc
10-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Who cares?:tongue:

We know it is going to be special. Close 1 one run games winning in 3. The Red Sox crying we should have beat those guys. ESPN saying the White Sox got lucky but they will predict we will lose in the next round.:redface:

I will just keep smiling because this is the year we have been waiting for. The Sox win and the cubbies will still be the lovable Losers.:cool:

Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!! :supernana:

Juice16
10-03-2005, 09:32 AM
In what should be as surprising as cold weather in January, two of ESPN's "experts" picked against the Sox in the ALDS. Harold "Master of the English Language" Reynolds picks Boston in four, saying they and the Yankees are playing their best ball now.

Mike Golic on ESPN Radio also picked against our Sox. He said that if the Sox are going to beat Boston, they have to pitch well. DUH!! Hey, Mensa - Have the Sox not pitched well for the last 162 games? Is that not the primary reason they're in the playoffs? Moron.

At least Mike Greenberg did pick the Sox. God, I hope he's right. All I know is I'll be there Tuesday wearing my Pierzynski t-shirt and cheering like hell for the good guys.

I actually saw Reynolds say he thaught the White Sox were going to surprise the Red Sox on Baseball Tonight. The other idiots said Boston.

gf2020
10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
back in spring training how many of us thought this team would be this good?

While not many saw 99 wins coming, Phillips picked us to finish fourth and held to that prediction for two months.

MeteorsSox4367
10-03-2005, 10:25 AM
This morning on SportsCenter, Reynolds said Boston and the Yankees would win in four. It was about 6:30 am; maybe the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, but I believe that's what he said.

Tekijawa
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM

I did that's why my Magic Number counter Started at 163!

TDog
10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Because I live an ESPN-free existence and don't have access to the Chicago media (except through WSI), I have enjoyed this special season without worrying about this garbage. I know what they're going to say. If the Sox end up playing San Diego in the World Series, I'm sure these guys will wax poetic about those pesky Padres.

What really irks me is that Tribune staff writers seem to have missed the really big story as the White Sox bring postseason baseball to their city. Biologists have discovered a species of predatory sponge off the coast of Alaska. And the they missed it!

ChiSoxPatF
10-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Jim Caple on ESPN.com did pick the White Sox in 4. At least ESPN has one intelligent writer.

kevingrt
10-03-2005, 11:13 AM
On the BoSox vs. White Sox series page on ESPN.com has two of five writers selecting the White Sox to win. Even the homer himself Peter Gammons picked us over the BoSox.

Interesting stat on the voting page for the series on ESPN.com. Something like 75% of voters would rather see the White Sox win their first World Series in a long time rather then see the BoSox go back to back.

34 Inch Stick
10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Predictable and meaningless. Any word on who Peter Gammons picked?

cbrownson13
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
He picked the Sox...the white (right) ones.

Whitesox4ever
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Gammons and Gary Miller has the whitesox winning the series in 5 games

Whitesox4ever
10-03-2005, 11:53 AM
all the CBS.Sportsline experts has the Redsox winning the series

DaleJRFan
10-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I hope every single "baseball expert" picks the Red Sox. The White Sox have been surprising everyone this season and why should that change now. Let them be the underdogs. Besides, the Red Sox are the defending champions and they, more or less, deserve to be the favorite, IMO.

dcb33
10-03-2005, 11:57 AM
This morning on SportsCenter, Reynolds said Boston and the Yankees would win in four. It was about 6:30 am; maybe the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, but I believe that's what he said.

On SC they also picked the Cards and Astros to win in four. Glad to see they put a lot of thought into their predictions instead of just picking all of last year's winners to advance in 4 games!

santo=dorf
10-03-2005, 12:06 PM

I knew this team would win the 90+ games along with the division.

Starting pitching is everything.

Iwritecode
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
The picks that I've seen are nearly split 50/50.

There is no clearcut favorite in this series IMO. Should be fun. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM

At SoxFest, a lot of us. Pitching, pitching, pitching. And as for what any of the "experts" think, good OR bad:

:whocares

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I hope every single "baseball expert" picks the Red Sox. The White Sox have been surprising everyone this season and why should that change now. Let them be the underdogs. Besides, the Red Sox are the defending champions and they, more or less, deserve to be the favorite, IMO.I'm with you. They play better when they have a chip on their shoulder. They were hot as chili peppers the first half, but started to stumble once the mediots started to grudgingly acknowledge how good they were. Then when they all started to predict that the Indians would overtake them, they started playing well again. Please let all the "experts" dis them again.

getonbckthr
10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
i figured 90-95 wins mainly cause of our pitching and our division. obviously i didnt expect cleveland to win 93, nor did i expect el duque to be such a basketcase. i also bet a cub fan prior vs garland and wood vs buerhle heads up. i honestly thought in march we would win the division by about 10-15 gms.

antitwins13
10-03-2005, 01:54 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ROxUnTDQtasJ:www.thestateonline.com/sports/summer/harrelson.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thestateonline.com/sports/summer/harrelson.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/special_packages/9198885.htm&h=141&w=100&sz=6&tbnid=ROxUnTDQtasJ:&tbnh=88&tbnw=62&hl=en&start=10&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhawk%2Bharrelson%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN) Your what hurts?

tstrike2000
10-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Reynolds picked the Yankees and Red Sox, what a shock!! Mike Golic knows absolutely nothing about baseball. He's an ex-football player, but I'm not sure he knows anything about football either.

Jurr
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Holy Crap! Gammons picked the Sox to win in 5. And I'm not talking about the Red Sox.
Phillips, Gammons, Schwartz, and someone else picked the Sox. Guys like Neyer, Stark, and Kurkijan picked the Red Sox.
But, can you believe GAMMONS?????

Stroker Ace
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Actually, Phillips has done a 180 on the Sox and has been very upfront about saying he was wrong. I think he even went directly to Ozzie to apologize. This is definitely something to note from a guy who works for a network that demands no accountability from its personnel. Since I also like the Mets, I still hate him.

Corlose 15
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure anyone cares, but Joe Sheehan just picked the White Sox on the hot list. Kruk picked the Blowsox.

Also, Sheehan said it was a mistake to start Contreras in game 1 and possibly game 5. Kruk mentioned that Contreras has had trouble with the Red Sox, noboby mentioned how well he's pitched in the second half.

DaleJRFan
10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's what Guillen had to say about the Yankees/RedSox media domination:

"Good for them," said Guillen, when questioned in regard to the media attention bound to be heaped upon the Yankees and Red Sox. "I like that, when the people don't expect us to do anything and they expect the big boys to do something.
"Hopefully, we sneak up and bite them. But we haven't done anything yet. We haven't earned that spotlight like everybody else."

He's right. The Yankees have been to the playoffs for what, 37 straight freakin years and the Red Sox are the champs. Its up the the Sox to change that, not the media.

whitesoxfan1986
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about when you said gammons picked our sox to win this series. I was just listening to the Dan Patrick show on AM 1000 about 5 mins. ago and he said the Blow Sawx in 3 because " the white sox aren't going to score enough runs"

Iwritecode
10-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about when you said gammons picked our sox to win this series. I was just listening to the Dan Patrick show on AM 1000 about 5 mins. ago and he said the Blow Sawx in 3 because " the white sox aren't going to score enough runs"

It was on ESPN.com.

ChiSoxPatF
10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/series?series=boschw

Sounds like Gammons is doing the same thing Caple is: predicting one thing in their articles/radio shows and another on the website. Shows you how good the "experts" are.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/series?series=boschw

Sounds like Gammons is doing the same thing Caple is: predicting one thing in their articles/radio shows and another on the website. Shows you how good the "experts" are.

Well actually it does prove it since he can always claim he picked the winning team.

fox2
10-03-2005, 03:17 PM
What really irks me is that Tribune staff writers seem to have missed the really big story as the White Sox bring postseason baseball to their city. Biologists have discovered a species of predatory sponge off the coast of Alaska. And the they missed it!

You mean network baseball analysts come from the coast of Alaska?

fquaye149
10-03-2005, 03:21 PM

I thought we'd win the division because of VAST improvements to our pitching staff and a shift from the three-run home run reliance, as well as thanks to the decline of Minnesota's pitching and lineup and Cleveland and Detroit's not ready for prime time status.

I was wrong about our lineup being good and I was wrong about Cleveland's bullpen being bad...but I was pretty much right about everything else. Not trying to toot my own horn, but just showing what even a "novice" like myself can do when he actually takes the time to examine what in the hell he or she is talking about.

chaotic8512
10-03-2005, 04:12 PM
I can't believe what I just heard...

In describing the ALDS matchups, Moronotti just called the Sox-Sox series "my series".

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now, if you'll excuse me... my ears are bleeding.

StrTrkker
10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
All those so-called experts on Around the Horn picked the BoSox as the winner of Moronotti "my series"

Hey kool...lets fly under the radar and then ram it down their throats.

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 04:30 PM
All those so-called experts on Around the Horn picked the BoSox as the winner of Moronotti "my series"

Hey kool...lets fly under the radar and then ram it down their throats.

I already talked about this in the Moronotti Roadhouse thread, but did you guys see the commercial for the playoffs? Cripes! It mentioned ARod, BigPapi, Pujols, and the Rocket.

They're going to look pretty silly when it comes down to the Sox vs. San Diego in the WS. No teal.

chisoxfan64
10-03-2005, 04:42 PM
This morning on M&M, Buster Olney said no matter what the Sox do this year, the Indians will be favorites to win the AL central next year.

On the Dan Patrick show this afternoon, Gammons said he`s taking the Red Cubs after earlier picking the Sox.:?:

spongyfungy
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
What angers me the most is when the White Sox beat the Red Sox, all these mediots will be like "well....no one predicted this" and they may even use the word 'upset'

Well we predicted it and we need Chicago news guys to represent us and give a big "in your face" to these fools. Mariotti does not help.

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Good God! Tony Wilbon (I think his name is) on PTI, going head-to-head with the Yankee fan yutz who is the other guy, who--now get this--accused Wilbon of saying that Chicago is the center of the universe!

KEEEE-rist!

And Wilbon stood his ground and even outshouted the other clown. Good for him!

:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 05:15 PM
but just showing what even a "novice" like myself can do when he actually takes the time to examine what in the hell he or she is talking about.Imagine if some of the "experts" tried that.:tongue:

ssirish317
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Did Wilbon pick the Sox over Boston on PTI?

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Did Wilbon pick the Sox over Boston on PTI?

IIRC, yes.

longshot7
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I already talked about this in the Moronotti Roadhouse thread, but did you guys see the commercial for the playoffs? Cripes! It mentioned ARod, BigPapi, Pujols, and the Rocket.

They're going to look pretty silly when it comes down to the Sox vs. San Diego in the WS. No teal.

Sorry, but San Diego ain't makin' it to the WS. Book it.

And Michael Wilbon is a Chicago guy, even if he is a Cubs fans.

PAPChiSox729
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM

It would be amazing if the Padres were able to make it past the Cards, let alone the World Series. And I hate to say it, but I am not too upset with that commercial. They are trying to attract the casual fan. Seeing Clemens or A-Rod is more appealing than seeing Pods or Jake Peavy. Just my 2 cents.