PDA

View Full Version : Cubune's sour grapes

DumpJerry
10-03-2005, 08:03 AM
So, the front page story on today's (Monday, 10/3) Cubune is about how many "poor people" live in the shadows of USCF. It talks about the public housing which is so close, the lights from the ballpark light up the bedrooms. It talks about how the smell of marijuana wafts up from the courtyards of the nearby buildings (I've never smelled it in the area, but then I don't work for the Cubune so I don't get invited to their pre-game parties).

My question is: if the Flubs had made the post-season, would there have been updates on the trial of the guy who is charged with killing as Sox fan across the street from the Urinal or people who have been arrested for other crimes committed within a three block radius? I think we know the answer.:angry:

woodenleg
10-03-2005, 09:20 AM
My god, what hypocrisy.

They only printed it because they know that the Sox are now getting national attention. You see, 'charity' (i.e., public relations) is a really big deal out east. Or at least making a big fuss about how 'charitable' you are is....

Since they are probably reading this board, too, they might want to know about all the ugliness that's gone on up north so that Wrigley might maintain its 'nice', middle-class white image. I'll never forget the neighbor in Wrigleyville who knocked on my door to invite me to a meeting to discuss what to do about the 'problem building' down the block (there were Mexicans living there).

This is typical elitism - pretending you're a friend of the poor. It's really condescending. Lovely how the Tribune just noticed that there are some projects down there...just when the Sox enter the playoffs.

I'm sure there's poverty in Boston and New York, too. But you won't be reading this sort of smear job in their media.

You'll notice, too, that they really didn't find any good dirt. And look at the phony garbage about players' salaries. When all else fails, deflect attention from your own inherited wealth by blaming the players. 'Cos you know, the working man has nothing better to do than hate well-paid ballplayers. That attitude is ignorant and insulting.

Let's all remember that there are a lot of people up north who say they won't go down there at all because it's 'a ghetto' or it's 'crime-infested'.

I really thought they were getting better about disguising their motives, but I guess the little cowards caved into the pressure....

"Look what we can do - we can use the media to divide you people."

It's calculated - remember that.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I just read the article. Sure, a lot of the stuff they say is true but why print it now? Why not earlier in the season? This situation is not unique to the White Sox.

Hitmen77
10-03-2005, 09:49 AM
US Insular Field is a Bad Neighbor. Pot-head Sox Fans Make Life Miserable for South Side Locals.

Here's the link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0510030167oct03,1,7052293.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Wow, that's a new one (or maybe I should say a very old one) - the park is full of reefer fumes? :?:. Was this reporter last at a game on Disco Demolition Night?

Interestingly, the headline and article start off by making it sound like the Sox are bad neighbors and they ignore their poor neighbors - but then the article itself talks about alot of good things the Sox have done for the community. Typical Cubune - give a bad headline for all the readers who just skim the headlines and don't read the story and bury positive stuff beyond the first few paragraphs of the article.

This is very hypocritical seeing as it is the CUB FANS of Chicago who are forever talking about how "dangerous" it is to go to a Sox game and how they refuse to go there because of the neighborhood.

JorgeFabregas
10-03-2005, 09:53 AM
I have a bigger issue with the Dave van Dyck story on the cover of the sports page. "Cozy little Fenway has rabid fans who have packed the stadium every day. At U.S. Cellular Field, fans haven't given the White Sox a home-field advantage. The team had a better record on the road this season. If the Red Sox win one of the first two games, Fenway's feisty fans can create a very difficult environment."

Huh? It's the fans fault they haven't won as much at home? They've been good at home, just better on the road. Even with small crowds, Sox fans can be as loud as anyone else.

JRIG
10-03-2005, 09:57 AM
If someone doesn't find a giant snail in the next few days, we could be in for more of these stories.

Iwritecode
10-03-2005, 10:08 AM
And people say we haven't suffered...

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Unbelievable.

As big a piece of **** propaganda as you'll ever read from the Cubune.

Unreal.

I love the GALL of that newspaper pulling the class/race card when discussing the White Sox, after years and years of race-baiting reporting regarding the neighborhood that the Cell is in.

Nice use of descriptives like "fenced off parking lot" and the allegorical tale of the big bad white man ripping off the young 'uns to make more money for himself.

And where the **** did this reporter come up with the "reefer" angle? I have never smelled marijuana at new Comiskey in the 15 years I've been going there.

What a piece of **** this thing is.

:giantsnail:

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2005, 10:20 AM
The article says the construction of the ballpark cost 300 jobs to the community, yet the article fails to mention how many jobs the new ballpark brings to the neighborhood.

EDIT: Also, I think the article's mention of "the scent of reefer" is in reference to Wentworth Gardens and not inside the ballpark.

tebman
10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I don't buy the Tribune for a lot of reasons. One of which is its relentless marketing of the Cubs, which they officially deny (for the most vigorous exchange on that question, see this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026&highlight=hegemony)).

Even though I don't buy the paper, I saw the headline and the feature-story workup today that someone else was reading on the train this morning. Is there any limit to these guys at the Tribune? The Sox are enjoying the fruits of a terrific season, won against the wind of the sportswriters and broadcast naysayers -- now that's a great story. But on the day of a downtown pep rally to celebrate the ALC championship, the Tribune does a hatchet job on the White Sox, implying that they are somehow responsible for endemic poverty.

Give me a break.

We know that the Tribune enforcers troll this board, as do their competitors. I can only wish for the Tribune editors that their efforts to energize their base is successful for them. Their house team is an overpriced failure, so they "re-frame the discussion," as they say in politics. Cast shadows on the White Sox so that the light appears brighter on their corporate brothers.

This is what we have to deal with. Never changed, never will.

dickallen15
10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Considering the park has been open 15 seasons and they are reporting this right now, either the timing is just so coincidental with the start of the playoffs, or the Tribune employs some horrible reporters. I just wonder who this Tribune company things they are fooling with this trash. Isn't it time for an update on the murder in front of Wrigley, plus all those arrests on the EL platform after cops were beaten?

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Considering the park has been open 15 seasons and they are reporting this right now, either the timing is just so coincidental with the start of the playoffs, or the Tribune employs some horrible reporters. I just wonder who this Tribune company things they are fooling with this trash.

Oh, believe me. There are plenty of dumb people out there who will wholeheartedly believe this article's theme...hook, line, and sinker.

Andy T Clown
10-03-2005, 10:35 AM
They have outdone themselves today with an article about poverty near the park.:angry:

tebman
10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Check out the thread on "What's The Score?"

Plenty of burning icons there too.

Pulaski
10-03-2005, 10:39 AM
They have outdone themselves today with an article about poverty near the park.:angry:

I have not had a chance to see the Tribune yet. My bathroom break is fast approaching...............

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Cub fan #1: I would never dare go down by Cellular One Field...you'll get killed going down dere! That place is a friggin' ghetto and dere's so much crime down dere. In fact, I read not too long ago 'bout some dead body dey dug up in da Sox parking lot.

Cub fan #2: Didja see dis article in da Tribune today? Man it's a shame how dem Sox fans treat deir next door neighbors and stuff. Dose poor people.

Cub fan #1: Yeah, da nerve a' dem Sox fans.

:rolleyes:

zach23
10-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Guess it was too much trouble to walk just a block or so west of the park to 38th and Normal and see the $1.5 million house and the $3 million house being built next to it. Yeah, what a ghetto.

skobabe8
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Guess it was too much trouble to walk just a block or so west of the park to 38th and Normal and see the $1.5 million house and the $3 million house being built next to it. Yeah, what a ghetto.

The article mentioned those expensive homes in Bridgeport, yet made it sound like they were a bad thing.

slavko
10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose blood is boiling. This is an incredibly transparent purpose piece. Did I miss the pub for today's rally elsewhere in the paper?

zach23
10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
The article mentioned those expensive homes in Bridgeport, yet made it sound like they were a bad thing.

Oh, ok. I didn't bother to read it so I didn't see that. I have a feeling I didn't miss anything by not reading it. But then again that goes for most everything printed in the Cubune.

SOXPHILE
10-03-2005, 11:28 AM
EXTREMELY piss poor article in the Tribune. This is a new low for them, but I shouldn't be surprised. Sox wrap up a successful regular season, playoffs start tommorrow, HEY ! Lets run a huge front page -back page story about the poverty around the stadium. Lets talk about the poor kids trying to sell tickets who get ripped off by selling them to a scalper for $5.00, who turns around and sells them for $25.00. (Not that it matters, but the picture shows it to be a black guy, not a white guy. But that doesn't matter to me. The jist of the story is that there is this element of people/Sox fans around there walking around, ripping off these kids and making money off of them.) I don't know why they needed to include the reefer reference. It was refering to the people who live in the area around there, not inside the park. But the message is that "OOOO ! People are smoking pot around 'The Cell'- More evidence that it's a bad neighborhood !" Yeah, NOBODY smokes pot or gets piss drunk outside of the Urinal and the whole Marte Gras North atmosphere around there, right ? It's funny, the same people who read and believe this crap about how it's a dangerous area, watch out, "I won't go there !" are the same sweater vest wearing yuppies who had/have no qualms or reservations about going to the United Center or old Chicago Stadium during the Bulls success in the 90's. Why Chicago Tribune ? Why ?

CaptainBallz
10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Is there something to say about blatant, BLATANT propaganda being run by a major Chicago news source that attempts to adversely affect something that is so obviously good for the city? Darn this freedom of the press!

It's such sour grapes. How does this benefit the Cubune at ALL!? Do they think people aren't going to fill the stadium for the divisional series and beyond because of their silly smear campaign. Worst case scenario, fans from all across the country are going to head to the Cell and see FIRST HAND that the national lore is complete nonsense. It's so sad that the Sox have to deal with this. Here they are, in the midst of a historic season, and they can't buy a kind word from a major news source in their home city. Do any other teams put up with this garbage?

Go Sox & F-U Cubune!

schmitty9800
10-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Some public housing residents gain "day of game" janitorial work inside U.S. Cellular Field, but otherwise there is no coordinated job-outreach program in the neighborhood. The line implies that this is the baseball team's fault, and not the city's.

You'd think that USCF was an albatross bringing down the neighborhood by the tone of this article. Rather, it's been the City Council's neglect by offering very few incentives for businesses to start up in the area. They've kept the public housing unattractive and offered no upward mobility to the residents. It's the government and the media that seek to keep the masses down, not a baseball team.

I didn't see the line about marijuana, but the only reefer that I've smelled at the ballpark was definitely coming from mine or one of my friend's cars...

Revolution29
10-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I normally do not say much, seeing as I am usually in agreement with everyone's opinions around here, but this is one of those things that I just have to comment on. I must say that reading the cubune over breakfast this morning put me into the must utter state of disbelief. Not only do I see that highly informative article on the state of the *bad* (double teal if there was such a thing) neighborhood, but then I make the mistake of turning to the sports section to read, none other then the exact same thing that has been appearing in the "Tomorrow's Tribune Headline" thread. "Boston's "great" fans, please, give me a break.

If there was ever proof of a media bias ,this is it. And to all those cubs fans who say that we are just whining about this perceived bias, please, do explain this to me. It really seems as if they want to cover up the fact that we have had an AMAZING year. But I guess that 99 wins, the best record in the AL and only one behind StL for best in the league, only buys the Sox a trip to the ALDS, not respect by the chicago media. I guess that this means that there is only one thing to do, keep winning and make it so the national media has to pay attention to us, and then, if the cubune is still pulling this sort of thing, they will be exposed to all for how biased and utterly stupid they really are.

Rant over! GO SOX!

maurice
10-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Everybody knows that JR hates minorities and never gives them any job opportunities!:rolleyes:

tebman
10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Anybody heard from George Knue for a while? Here's what he had to say in the late-June thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026&page=1&pp=15&highlight=hegemony) about the Tribune's corporate behavior:

The Chicago Tribune does want to make a profit, for the company and shareholders. This is a business. But that doesn’t include cow-towing to the Cubs – because it doesn’t make financial sense to risk the integrity of the newspaper (which makes a lot of money) for some small gain for the baseball team (which makes a lot less money).

The person who wrote this went on to suggest that every story goes though some “corporatizing” (my word) to make sure it casts the Sox in a bad light and the Cubs in a good one. This is a popular theme here – but that doesn’t make it true. Which it isn’t. Never has been, never will be. (emphasis mine)

I'd like to hear how, on the eve of the playoffs, this article serves any other earthly purpose except to cast the Sox in a bad light. Let's see a companion article on the significantly higher crime rate at Clark & Addision. From itsnotrequired in the same thread:

For the sake of full disclosure, we might as well update these stats. Listed below are the stats for a half-mile radius around each ballpark and all crimes reported between June 10 and June 23 of this year. In that time frame, the Sox had 9 home games and the Cubs had 6.

The Cell:
11 crimes total; 3 person crimes and 8 property crimes.

The Shrine:
47 crimes total; 16 person crimes and 31 property.

2/3 the number of home games as the Sox, 4 times the number of crimes. You do the math...

EDIT: Oh, and don't let anyone tell you that there is more crime becuase more people go to the games. In the timeframe listed above, Cubs drew 234,307 while the Sox drew 261,664. But the Cubs have a higher average attendance!

WritingUlgy83
10-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Did anyone read the Tribune today and see the article by John Bebow on the front page. Here is a link from a newspaper that has it online.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12805462.htm

Can someone please let me know what his point is? He states "
All but a handful of those who attended Abbott last year came from low-income families. Ten of this year's 17 teachers are rookies. Only a third of the students meet the Illinois Learning Standards. The school budget is $2.9 million_less than what nine individual White Sox will make this year.

"There's something wrong with that, isn't there?" Principal Carol Hardin asked as the school year began. Craving more resources, she straddled a fine line between gratefulness and wanting more from her baseball neighbors."

Since when is the responsiblity of a MLB baseball team to bankroll a school! I don't see the cubs (which obvisouly is owned by the Trib) giving money to a school. Can someone help me out here. I left John a voicemail asking him to explain what the point was he was trying to convey to the reader. I gave him my email and we will see if he replies to me.

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Did anyone read the Tribune today and see the article by John Bebow on the front page. Here is a link from a newspaper that has it online.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12805462.htm

Can someone please let me know what his point is? He states "
All but a handful of those who attended Abbott last year came from low-income families. Ten of this year's 17 teachers are rookies. Only a third of the students meet the Illinois Learning Standards. The school budget is $2.9 million_less than what nine individual White Sox will make this year.

"There's something wrong with that, isn't there?" Principal Carol Hardin asked as the school year began. Craving more resources, she straddled a fine line between gratefulness and wanting more from her baseball neighbors."

Since when is the responsiblity of a MLB baseball team to bankroll a school! I don't see the cubs (which obvisouly is owned by the Trib) giving money to a school. Can someone help me out here. I left John a voicemail asking him to explain what the point was he was trying to convey to the reader. I gave him my email and we will see if he replies to me.Are you new to this town? Expect tomorrow's rag to include a pull out section catching up on William Ligue.

WritingUlgy83
10-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry normally I blow this off. This is just too much I should be pumped up for the playoffs but this article is just a low blow to bash the sox when the are in the spotlight!

skobabe8
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
search button

WritingUlgy83
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
There's just so many things inaccurately reported in this article. Its totally biased!!!

HotelWhiteSox
10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, there's a thread about it, it's a joke. Talk about being jealous when another team in town is about to get some national attention. I'm very surprised that Wrigley even had that 'Congratulations' sign up to the Sox.

woodenleg
10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
See...this whole 'what are you doing for charity' thing is a new one. It's new because the Cubs and the Trib know they're not exactly spotless in that regard. It's also new because 'the East Coast' is watching, and like I said, the 'what are you doing for the little poor people' is really pandering to WASP standards.

Yes, they really are that self-righteous and yes their culture is really like that - they're always on the lookout for who might be guilty of what. Charity is considered a sign of how 'not guilty' you might be. That attitude goes back a lonnnng way.

Just letting you know what's really going on here, 'cos the east coast don't really make a lot of sense in the Midwest. Around here, we call that type of thing insulting and patronizing, as if the people in the projects are our little 'charges' or something, and not citizens in their own right.

As the post-season goes on, you can look forward to a few more annoying stories in this vein, I'm sure. Now you know why some of those Red Sox fans were so bitter and cranky last year. I'm sure they had to listen to this crap all of the time.

Jerome
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Unbelievable.

As big a piece of **** propaganda as you'll ever read from the Cubune.

I have never been a big 'media bias', sox fan. I belive that the cubs for the most part are what sells papers (or tv revenue or whatever) and so they will always be portrayed better in the media.

Well, that attitude changed when I read this piece of garbage. This is nothing less than propaganda. On the day before the first sox playoff game in five years, no less. I read the whole article and it is riddled with anti-sox propaganda. For example:

"When White Sox fans go to US Cellular, they pass through poor areas that haven't benefited much from the team's success"

I'm sorry Cubune for the fact that the area around US Cellular is not as wealthy as that of Wrigley. But why are sox fans supposed to feel guilty? Is it because of sox fans that the people who live around the park are poor? Is it our fault for not doing anything? The story makes it seem that way.

"For those in the African American neighborhoods just south of the park, the lights illuminate a wealthy America mostly out of reach."

EVERY MLB park is wealth out of reach for the average American. That is why teams care more about corporate clients than families who can't afford to shell out 200 bucks on one night. The wealthy neighborhood outside of Wrigley field is "wealthy out of reach" to most Americans too.

Also, Ozzie has no obligation to the community. It's wonderful if he does, but there is nothing wrong if he is less a community man than Jerry Manuel.

Finally, I really don't care how much the street musicians outside the Cell make. I give dollars or at least change to street musicians often, but I don't think it qualifies as front-page news.

MeteorsSox4367
10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't know if anyone else started a similar thread, but has anyone read the article in the Cubune - the lead story on the front page, no less - entitled "It's U.S. Insular Field" ?

At least from my Sox-tinged perspective, the gist of the story is once again that the Cell is in the 'hood.

C'mon, how many times do we have to see this crap? The New York Times had something similar on Opening Day comparing the wonderful neighborhood around Wrigley and how the Cell is bordered by expressways in the 'hood.

I remember taking the "L" to Wrigley with my dad around 1980 because I wanted to see the Pirates play (my dream World Series is the Sox vs. Pittsburgh). We got off the "L" at Irving Park and walked back at 11 am for a day game and my dad told me to stick close because the neighborhood wasn't good.

And when the Bulls were winning with Jordan and the Hawks were good back in the 70s, did anyone care that the Stadium was in a crappy part of the West Side? No.

I work near the Cell and I see how the neighborhood is coming around nicely. This article is just more Cubune anti-Sox crap. Damn, this is frustrating reading this garbage.

Go Sox!!! This Is Our Year!!!

The Wall
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I have to agree with you...the whole of Bridgeport is bieng transformed very nicely. It will take a couple more years for all the work to be done, but the entire stretch will be definitely FAAAR better than the urinal can ever dream to become.

CLR01
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't know if anyone else started a similar thread, but has anyone read the article in the Cubune - the lead story on the front page, no less - entitled "It's U.S. Insular Field" ?

At least from my Sox-tinged perspective, the gist of the story is once again that the Cell is in the 'hood.

C'mon, how many times do we have to see this crap? The New York Times had something similar on Opening Day comparing the wonderful neighborhood around Wrigley and how the Cell is bordered by expressways in the 'hood.

I remember taking the "L" to Wrigley with my dad around 1980 because I wanted to see the Pirates play (my dream World Series is the Sox vs. Pittsburgh). We got off the "L" at Irving Park and walked back at 11 am for a day game and my dad told me to stick close because the neighborhood wasn't good.

And when the Bulls were winning with Jordan and the Hawks were good back in the 70s, did anyone care that the Stadium was in a crappy part of the West Side? No.

I work near the Cell and I see how the neighborhood is coming around nicely. This article is just more Cubune anti-Sox crap. Damn, this is frustrating reading this garbage.

Go Sox!!! This Is Our Year!!!

Thanks for posting that. Noone around here knows how to read a newspaper or post a link.

Hitmen77
10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't know when they did this - but the Cubune and now moved this story to the TOP HEADLINE on their website. Earlier today, it was just one of the stories listed in the middle of the page. The Cubune editors must have realized they had a real good anti-Sox story on their hands and decided to move it up to their #1 story! :angry:

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't know when they did this - but the Cubune and now moved this story to the TOP HEADLINE on their website. Earlier today, it was just one of the stories listed in the middle of the page. The Cubune editors must have realized they had a real good anti-Sox story on their hands and decided to move it up to their #1 story! :angry:Just doing their public service bit reminding everyone how dangerous it is to go there.

Vernam
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Anybody heard from George Knue for a while?No Knue is Good News, I always say.

Re: the front-page salvo, let me get this straight . . . The Sox created social inequity in the Chicago area, especially on the South Side? The Trib has, no doubt, exerted its great influence and deep pockets at every opportunity to improve the lives of under-privileged people in the neighborhoods surrounding Sox Park? *****.

Of the two entities -- Sox and Trib -- it's clear in my mind which is a positive force for people who tend to get reminded daily by the mainstream media that they don't really measure up. Apart from a corporate monolith's impulse to routinely crush its competition, the Trib's main animus toward the Sox is that their fans are so, you know, icky. I'm not surprised so much as impressed by the depth of hypocrisy displayed in today's cover story, which purports to defend the disenfranchised with one hand even as it shovels more dirt on them with the other. Well done! :angry:

Vernam

voodoochile
10-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Cub fan #1: I would never dare go down by Cellular One Field...you'll get killed going down dere! That place is a friggin' ghetto and dere's so much crime down dere. In fact, I read not too long ago 'bout some dead body dey dug up in da Sox parking lot.

Cub fan #2: Didja see dis article in da Tribune today? Man it's a shame how dem Sox fans treat deir next door neighbors and stuff. Dose poor people.

Cub fan #1: Yeah, da nerve a' dem Sox fans.

CF#2: Dey even got pot smokers down dere. They do so much the scent wafts up to de windows where da poor people live.

CF#1: Really? Maybe we SHOULD go to a Sox game after all...

CF #2: I was tinkin' dat exact same ting right dere. It's like you were psychic or someting. I mean it was spooky, but maybe dats da pot talking.

CF#1: Speaking of pot, load me one up. I'll be back in a minute. I got to piss.

CF#2: Toilets broken, better use da alley again. But be careful, Old man Jones gets mad if you pee too near his garage door.

CF#1: **** dat loser. He's no flubs fan anyway. Maybe I'll pee right on the door handle just to laugh later.

CF#2: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hey if you see Ronnie Woo Woo, tell him I said HIGH...

woodenleg
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Couple more things here....

It also talks about the poor senior citizens who have to put up with the fireworks and stuff...the implication is that the ballpark is an imposition where it is. But that's not all folks - this is a forked message. It's meant to guilt-trip us and subtly convey the power of the press. The other point of the fork is to remind 'their people' to stay the away from that hellhole...'cos we all know what projects and black panhandlers really mean ...

It's funny, 'cos it was only yesterday that the ballpark was filled with toothless white trash or something like that. Oh, well, now I guess you people want to be 'better' than that. Well, being 'better' than that means you have to feel 'guilty' all the time like we do...there's a price for everything.

'Insularity' is another swipe at the south side community, particularly the Irish community, who are not perceived as doing things 'the right way', i.e. -their- way...they're 'insular' 'cos they don't take their orders from back east. When you butt heads with these people in business, you'll see what I mean. This is an old beef, you know - the Irish south siders and the WASP establishment, who are a bit affronted that the Irish community doesn't give a damn what they think.

One more thing...the article generalizes about the fanbase - AGAIN! "They pass through poor areas"...'cos all black neighborhoods are poor, all of the fans are affluent and white, and all of them pass through the same neighborhoods...and it's not at all possible that some of them are coming from the north side, too! The more I think about it, the more I realize this thing is a bigoted piece of trash.

It may seem like I'm making a big deal about this, but newspapers are -everything- to these people. It's how they communicate with the 'little people'.

Parrothead
10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Does the Tribune own the Mercury news (from the Bay area) too? I ask because is a portion of a story in the Mercury News....

Two worlds: Sox ballpark an alien in challenged neighborhood (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12805462.htm)
Posted October 3, 2005
With the Chicago White Sox making the playoffs for the first time in many years, there will be much attention paid to US Cellular Field (http://www.ballparkwatch.com/visits/us_cellular.htm), the team's home on the South Side. The White Sox stepped on some toes when the Cell was built, but since then team officials have worked to repair relations with the community: Players and team employees built playgrounds, planted landscaping, donated thousands of dollars worth of gifts for holidays back to school celebrations, and spent $120,000 a year on a public housing Little League. The area surrounding US Cell isn't the best, but community activists are addressing those issues.

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, this really pisses me off! It is just perpetuating a stereotype that has existed forever. I'm a Southside Irish woman who was born in Bridgeport and whose family eventually moved to the North Side, where I met and married a Northwest-side Polish guy in 1975. About 10 years later, one of my husband's cousins got engaged to a woman from Brighton Park. (Gasp!) When her relatives invited my husband's relatives--including me--to a bridal shower, I had to pretty much form a caravan to guarantee "safe passage." You would not believe how stressed out my in-laws were.

Anyway, I drove. When we arrived at the home of the woman who was hosting the shower, my husband's family were amazed to find that that house bore a remarkable resemblance to their houses and how "typical" the neighborhood was. They really thought they were traveling into a danger zone!

SOXSINCE'70
10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Everybody knows that JR hates minorities and never gives them any job opportunities!:rolleyes:

Yeah,just ask these guys.:roflmao: :roflmao:

:harold :dye: :iguchi: :KW :ozzie

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, this really pisses me off! It is just perpetuating a stereotype that has existed forever. I'm a Southside Irish woman who was born in Bridgeport and whose family eventually moved to the North Side, where I met and married a Northwest-side Polish guy in 1975. About 10 years later, one of my husband's cousins got engaged to a woman from Brighton Park. (Gasp!) When her relatives invited my husband's relatives--including me--to a bridal shower, I had to pretty much form a caravan to guarantee "safe passage." You would not believe how stressed out my in-laws were.

Anyway, I drove. When we arrived at the home of the woman who was hosting the shower, my husband's family were amazed to find that that house bore a remarkable resemblance to their houses and how "typical" the neighborhood was. They really thought they were traveling into a danger zone!The Cubune has really been putting on the full-court press ever since the Sox clinched. Turns out our "joke" of Mary Ann Lipinski and her minions working late into the night to come up with negative spins was pretty spot on.:o: But this article hit a new low, even for them. I guess we're supposed to believe that they have such concern for these people, and they just happened to pick this particular day to do a story on them. But their motivations are ridiculously transparent. It's bad enough they can't let a day go by without a swipe at the Sox and their fans, but to feign concern for these people, all the while using them to their own selfish ends is reprehensible.

tebman
10-03-2005, 10:11 PM
The Cubune has really been putting on the full-court press ever since the Sox clinched. Turns out our "joke" of Mary Ann Lipinski and her minions working late into the night to come up with negative spins was pretty spot on.:o: But this article hit a new low, even for them. I guess we're supposed to believe that they have such concern for these people, and they just happened to pick this particular day to do a story on them. But their motivations are ridiculously transparent. It's bad enough they can't let a day go by without a swipe at the Sox and their fans, but to feign concern for these people, all the while using them to their own selfish ends is reprehensible.
The key word is "reprehensible." I feel like we're characters in a Frank Capra movie -- the Tribune is aiming all its publication and economic guns at us while we fight back with message boards and talk shows.

What can the Sox do? It's common knowledge that Sox charities have been funding programs for kids in the city for years. If they stepped it up in a dramatic way, the Tribune would take credit (by implication, of course) for bringing the bad-neighbor ballclub to heel. For a problem that the Sox didn't create and aren't responsible for! It's a no-win situation.

I asked earlier if anybody's heard from George Knue. Maybe he's too embarrassed to show up.

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm really glad that the Chicago Tribune felt it necessary to point out some of the class disperity issues that exist in the City of Chicago. Really, using US Cellular Field and one of the surrounding neighborhoods on the day before the first playoff game on the South Side in 5 years was the perfect time to raise this issue on the front page.

This is a new low. Now, I have no problem with some of the general issues that the author is trying to bring up. America does have some serious issues that it needs to reckon with, but:

1. Did the article really have to be written on the day before the playoffs?
2. Did it really have to use the example of US Cellular Field?
3. Did it really have to perpetuate the stereotypes about the surrounding neighborhoods?

There is simply no denying that this article was a total propaganda piece. In the moment of glory for the White Sox, the Tribune Company is using its dual role as Cubs owner and publisher of the most widely read newspaper to perpetuate negative stereotypes about the White Sox to indirectly promote its product.

I don't seem to recall front page stories about the beggars on the street outside of Wrigley Field. Oh wait, there were none. They were promoting their product in full gear.

What they did today was unethical. They can hide behind the content in the story itself all they want, but it was totally wrong of them to use that as their front page article today.

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I asked earlier if anybody's heard from George Knue. Maybe he's too embarrassed to show up.

Knue runs chicagosports.com. He has very little to do with a front page story in the front page section of the newspaper. As much as we like to blame Knue for everything wrong with the Cubune, there were higher powers at work in this one, namely Ann Marie Lipinski and Dennis Fitzsimmons and his minions.

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
The key word is "reprehensible." I feel like we're characters in a Frank Capra movie -- the Tribune is aiming all its publication and economic guns at us while we fight back with message boards and talk shows.

What can the Sox do? It's common knowledge that Sox charities have been funding programs for kids in the city for years. If they stepped it up in a dramatic way, the Tribune would take credit (by implication, of course) for bringing the bad-neighbor ballclub to heel. For a problem that the Sox didn't create and aren't responsible for! It's a no-win situation.

I asked earlier if anybody's heard from George Knue. Maybe he's too embarrassed to show up.You misunderstand. They can take all the pot shots they want at Sox fans. It sucks, but that's life. But what sticks in my craw is that they don't really give a rat's ass about the people in that story. It's their cynical use of these people in their smear campaign that I find reprehensible. Tomorrow they will have completely forgotten about them.

tebman
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
You misunderstand. They can take all the pot shots they want at Sox fans. It sucks, but that's life. But what sticks in my craw is that they don't really give a rat's ass about the people in that story. It's their cynical use of these people in their smear campaign that I find reprehensible. Tomorrow they will have completely forgotten about them.
You're absolutely right -- I didn't make myself clear. We (Sox fans) aren't the victims in this most recent chapter; the folks in poverty are the victims, and the Tribune is shamelessly using them as a vehicle in its smear campaign. My clumsy use of pronouns in the Frank Capra reference was meant to say that we Sox fans know what's happening and we feel broadsided as the Tribune trots out the people in that story for its own purposes.

PHG talked about being dumbfounded by this episode. I know I am.

elrod
10-03-2005, 10:39 PM
You misunderstand. They can take all the pot shots they want at Sox fans. It sucks, but that's life. But what sticks in my craw is that they don't really give a rat's ass about the people in that story. It's their cynical use of these people in their smear campaign that I find reprehensible. Tomorrow they will have completely forgotten about them.

Bingo. This is from a newspaper that cares more about tax breaks for corporate elites than living wages for the working class. To be honest, there were a few interesting points in the article. Frankly, it's the first time I've read any coverage in the Trib - positive or negative - about the relationship between the poorer neighbors of the stadium and the team. We hear a lot about Bridgeport's connection with the Sox, but what about the residents of Wentworth Gardens, or those who lived in Stateway or Taylor for decades and always supported the Sox? Unfortunately, most of the article was a snide attempt to juxtapose the struggling marginalized poor with the middle class who attend baseball games. Well golly jee wilikers, ain't that America? What has the Trib had to say about all the people displaced by destruction of Cabrini, Taylor, Stateway and the other high-rise projects? Nothing, as far as I know. Has the Trib ever bothered to portray the residents of those communities as anything more than criminal predators and shiftless thugs? Has the Trib ever bothered to consider that people in those neighborhoods are, by and large, proud working people who struggle to make ends meet in low-end, non-union service sector jobs? Yeah, many of them happen to live in the shadow of a baseball stadium. What about the folks in Englewood or Woodlawn who face much longer odds than the people who still live in Wentworth Gardens. Oh, that's right, this is about the White Sox and their fans who exploit the poor on any given night. Give me a break. I'd trust the Chicago Defender to write an article about the relationship between the Sox and the neighborhood. At least their agenda is to write from a black perspective. The Trib? Forget it.

DrCrawdad
10-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Let's see, did the Cubune see fit to run an article about what some people call sexual deviancy going on right next door to Wrigley? Anything about the gays prancing around at underwear night at The Manhole, right next door to Wrigley?

No. My god, of course they wouldn't do that, it's distasteful and smears the community and spreads stereotypes.

Cubune, if you're going to attack the Sox and the community around The Cell, have the balls to be upfront and frank about it. Say what you want to say without using code words, words that you know are well understood by your white readers. Just say, 'The Cell is surrounded by drug addicted blacks. These dangerous blacks are out to harm and steal from you. You really should never go to The Cell...'

Pardon me if this violates the rules, but the writer of the article and the editors who saw fit to publish it are a bunch of bastards. :angry:

"A corporate mentality needn't be imposed by direct fiat; it's a virus that metastasizes in the bureaucratic bloodstream." - New York Times, July 10, 2005

antitwins13
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Sour Grapeshttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:3HhgEFMXSnUJ:www.sonoma.edu/photogallery/Images/huge/sonoma_county_views/grapes_vineyards/grapes_purple_closeup.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sonoma.edu/photogallery/Images/huge/sonoma_county_views/grapes_vineyards/grapes_purple_closeup.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sonoma.edu/photogallery/sonoma/vineyards/&h=1600&w=1200&sz=103&tbnid=3HhgEFMXSnUJ:&tbnh=150&tbnw=112&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgrapes%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D )

tebman
10-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Knue runs chicagosports.com. He has very little to do with a front page story in the front page section of the newspaper. As much as we like to blame Knue for everything wrong with the Cubune, there were higher powers at work in this one, namely Ann Marie Lipinski and Dennis Fitzsimmons and his minions.
Knue probably wasn't involved in that story. It's just that he spent a lot of energy a couple of months ago telling us that we were way off base in suggesting that there was even a hint of intent in the paper's coverage of the Sox. It was an vigorous debate that he clearly took personally, telling us that my depiction of his view of the paper having a "holy moat" around it that was not breached by the corporate business office was essentially accurate. He made it clear that he believes the intentions of the writers and editors are pure, and for us to suggest otherwise was unfair.

I'm not blaming George for this one. But he chose to make himself the Tribune's advocate on the board and I'd like to hear his defense of this piece.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Gosh, you guys are really mean. Talking about the Wicked Witch and her flying monkeys like this.
:wink:

http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/movie/img/photos/photo5.jpg
Ann Marie Lipinski

http://static.flickr.com/4/5564948_9fd986938b_m.jpg http://static.flickr.com/4/5564948_9fd986938b_m.jpg
Dan McGrath and George Knue

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Knue probably wasn't involved in that story. It's just that he spent a lot of energy a couple of months ago telling us that we were way off base in suggesting that there was even a hint of intent in the paper's coverage of the Sox. It was an vigorous debate that he clearly took personally, telling us that my depiction of his view of the paper having a "holy moat" around it that was not breached by the corporate business office was essentially inaccurate. He made it clear that he believes the intentions of the writers and editors are pure, and for us to suggest otherwise was unfair.

I'm not blaming George for this one. But he chose to make himself the Tribune's advocate on the board and I'd like to hear his defense of this piece.

Tebman: I don't think anybody gives a rat's fat ass about the Cubune's motives. If you can read, you can draw your own conclusions about the Cubune's motives. And I'd love to hear from somebody--anybody--on that sorry excuse for a newspaper's staff that explains how publishing a negative piece about a home team's neighborhood on the eve of that team's first postseason game could possibly be construed as positive.

tebman
10-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Tebman: I don't think anybody gives a rat's fat ass about the Cubune's motives. If you can read, you can draw your own conclusions about the Cubune's motives. And I'd love to hear from somebody--anybody--on that sorry excuse for a newspaper's staff that explains how publishing a negative piece about a home team's neighborhood on the eve of that team's first postseason game could possibly be construed as positive.
I agree. And I really do want to read what George Knue, or anybody else at the Tribune for that matter, could possibly say to defend that bright-as-day hatchet job in today's paper. Knue was my first choice since he was the one who had previously scolded us for our insolence.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I've been at work all day and running errands tonight. Has there been any reaction to this article outside of this thread? Has anyone on the Score or wherever talked about it? The more I think about this, the more I believe the article was part of a well timed smear campaign intended to paint a false picture of the USCF neighborhood. The Cubune's core subscription base is affluent, white suburbia. In several ways, generally subtle ones, the article preys upon whatever prejudices this community may have or what the Cubune believes they may have.

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I've been at work all day and running errands tonight. Has there been any reaction to this article outside of this thread? Has anyone on the Score or wherever talked about it? The more I think about this, the more I believe the article was part of a well timed smear campaign intended to paint a false picture of the USCF neighborhood. The Cubune's core subscription base is affluent, white suburbia. In several ways, generally subtle ones, the article preys upon whatever prejudices this community may have or what the Cubune believes they may have.

Viva, FWIW, I didn't hear this being discussed on any of the Score shows today nor on the little bit of MJH I listened to.

soxjim
10-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Still will have a post game meal at my grandmas in Bridgeport like we all ways do. Will walk back to the red line station. Come back to Rockford and post on WSI the great time we had at the game. Next day in Rockford be called crazy for being in the area around the park.

Parrothead
10-03-2005, 11:40 PM

I did hear Terry Armour and who ever he is with on 105.9 talk about it with Steve Dahl at about 7 pm. Terry was saying that is was a piece of @@#$ article. I did not hear if there was any more discussion about it.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2005, 12:04 AM
:knue:
"Hey John, Great job on article about the dangerous blacks surrounding the Cell. Inevitably, you're going to hear from those low-brow Sox fans.

"Here's what you say. First, play up the few positive things you mentioned. But here's what we really like to do, get a dig in on the Sox fans. Turn the tables on them.

"We usually say something like, "You Sox fans really need to learn how to sit back and enjoy the great year your team is having and quit worrying about our Cubune, I mean media empire...""

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Still will have a post game meal at my grandmas in Bridgeport like we all ways do. Will walk back to the red line station. Come back to Rockford and post on WSI the great time we had at the game. Next day in Rockford be called crazy for being in the area around the park.

I don't see how you can actually enjoy the postgame meal with all those drunken frat boys peeing in your front yard and puking in the alley behind your house.

I mean seriously, the way the team and it's fans treat the surrounding neighborhood is horrendous. If any assclown with a paycheck from tribune corporation can see that clear as day why can't you?

I'm sorry, I just get such a kick out of this crap from the tribune about bad neighbors and bad neighborhoods.

The more they type the more grateful I am every day that I stopped purchasing that rag. Even if I still lived in Chicago, I just wouldn't be able to continue paying for it.

They are becoming more and more transparent and less and less accurate.

Come on Knueman, what you got to say now?

We technogeeks are still here and we aren't buying your bull**** anymore.

Say it loud, say it proud...

HELL YES! I'M A SOX FAN!!!

slavko
10-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Let's see, did the Cubune see fit to run an article about what some people call sexual deviancy going on right next door to Wrigley? Anything about the gays prancing around at underwear night at The Manhole, right next door to Wrigley?

No. My god, of course they wouldn't do that, it's distasteful and smears the community and spreads stereotypes.

Cubune, if you're going to attack the Sox and the community around The Cell, have the balls to be upfront and frank about it. Say what you want to say without using code words, words that you know are well understood by your white readers. Just say, 'The Cell is surrounded by drug addicted blacks. These dangerous blacks are out to harm and steal from you. You really should never go to The Cell...'

Pardon me if this violates the rules, but the writer of the article and the editors who saw fit to publish it are a bunch of bastards. :angry:

That stuff would be must reading for the buses of blue haired grandmas who keep coming in from Iowa. After the Trib finished spinning it, the team could probably upgrade the Wrigley experience with a $50 guided tour of the gay bars for the old dears.

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I couldn't take it. Here's the text of my letter to the editor.

No adjective in the English language can express my disgust with the Tribune for its article "It's U.S. Insular Field" on the front page of the October 3 edition. Ever since the White Sox clinched their division championship, the Tribune has put on a full-court press to try to minimize the significance of this accomplishment. Seemingly every story contains somewhere within it some type of swipe, usually subtle but often quite blatant, aimed at the White Sox or their fans. But this was just too much. Are we to believe that the Tribune has just discovered that there are poor people on the south side? Or perhaps it's just coincidence that you chose the day before the playoff opener to run this story. There must be no poor people, no panhandlers, no pot smokers, no ticket scalpers and no crime around Wrigley Field, because I certainly don't recall a similar story in 2003.

We all know the Tribune Corp. owns the Cubs and despite protestations to the contrary, consistently biases stories on the two Chicago teams. Fine. We've gotten used to it. That all by itself would not prompt the outrage that I'm feeling. What makes this story reprehensible is the Tribune's cynical and callous exploitation of the people in this story for its own ends. While feigning concern, the article carefully blends in images meant to reinforce stereotypes about the neighborhood and its residents. The story is filled with code words that will be understood all too well by your target audience. The people described in your article are mostly proud hard-working people who deserve a lot better than to be typecast to indirectly promote your own product. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

JorgeFabregas
10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Well said.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2005, 12:19 AM

No adjective in the English language can express my disgust with the Tribune for its article "It's U.S. Insular Field" on the front page of the October 3 edition. Ever since the White Sox clinched their division championship, the Tribune has put on a full-court press to try to minimize the significance of this accomplishment. Seemingly every story contains somewhere within it some type of swipe, usually subtle but often quite blatant, aimed at the White Sox or their fans. But this was just too much. Are we to believe that the Tribune has just discovered that there are poor people on the south side? Or perhaps it's just coincidence that you chose the day before the playoff opener to run this story. There must be no poor people, no panhandlers, no pot smokers, no ticket scalpers and no crime around Wrigley Field, because I certainly don't recall a similar story in 2003.

We all know the Tribune Corp. owns the Cubs and despite protestations to the contrary, consistently biases stories on the two Chicago teams. Fine. We've gotten used to it. That all by itself would not prompt the outrage that I'm feeling. What makes this story reprehensible is the Tribune's cynical and callous exploitation of the people in this story for its own ends. While feigning concern, the article carefully blends in images meant to reinforce stereotypes about the neighborhood and its residents. The story is filled with code words that will be understood all too well by your target audience. The people described in your article are mostly proud hard-working people who deserve a lot better than to be typecast to indirectly promote your own product. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Very well expressed!

Thank you.

samram
10-04-2005, 12:20 AM

Nice job, Ol' No. 2. Plus, for once, it's a letter to an editor that doesn't make me cringe due to all the grammar and spelling errors.

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Someone get me that crime stats link, please.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Nice job, Ol' No. 2. Plus, for once, it's a letter to an editor that doesn't make me cringe due to all the grammar and spelling errors.

Hey, and no F-Bombs!

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2005, 12:28 AM

Great letter, but I wonder if the Cubune editors will run it through the veg-o-matic and deplete its substance. If they publish it, that is.

cheeses_h_rice
10-04-2005, 12:28 AM
How about this letter to the editor?

Dear Cubune,

Nice piece of **** slamjob on the White Sox and the surrounding neighborhood in today's Cubune. I'm sure the ****ing timing on that steaming pile of **** was completely coincidental, right, *******s? Call me a ****wad, but I don't remember a similar article in 2003 about the poor and homeless living in the shadow of that sad excuse of a ****hole ballpark you got up north.

Give me a ****ing break. Go **** yourselves and the high horse you rode in on. *******s.

Dub25
10-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I read a page and a half of this thread and I was getting pretty pissed. This is why I don't read the Cubune.

Brewski
10-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Does the Tribune own the Mercury news (from the Bay area) too? I ask because is a portion of a story in the Mercury News....

Two worlds: Sox ballpark an alien in challenged neighborhood (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12805462.htm)
Posted October 3, 2005
With the Chicago White Sox making the playoffs for the first time in many years, there will be much attention paid to US Cellular Field (http://www.ballparkwatch.com/visits/us_cellular.htm), the team's home on the South Side. The White Sox stepped on some toes when the Cell was built, but since then team officials have worked to repair relations with the community: Players and team employees built playgrounds, planted landscaping, donated thousands of dollars worth of gifts for holidays back to school celebrations, and spent $120,000 a year on a public housing Little League. The area surrounding US Cell isn't the best, but community activists are addressing those issues.

That's where Skip Clueless wound up after he was canned by the Tribune. So it's unlikely that the Tribune owns it. That leaves two possibilities: coincidence or Mercury News plagiarized the story from the Tribune story. Newspapers don't plagiarize, do they?

Brewski
10-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I did hear Terry Armour and who ever he is with on 105.9 talk about it with Steve Dahl at about 7 pm. Terry was saying that is was a piece of @@#$ article. I did not hear if there was any more discussion about it.

Terry is forgetting who he works for. He should have a word with Steve Rosenbloom.

JB98
10-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Guys, don't let this **** ruin your day. We are in the playoffs. The Cubs are a losing team. They have nothing on us. As Sox fans, we know the truth, and that's all that matters.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Guys, don't let this **** ruin your day. We are in the playoffs. The Cubs are a losing team. They have nothing on us. As Sox fans, we know the truth, and that's all that matters.

Great point.

:andy:
NOW WIN YOU WHITE SOX!

tebman
10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Someone get me that crime stats link, please.
Here you go:

The link Fisk72 used to get the crime stats is here (http://12.17.79.6/), which was discussed by Itsnotrequired in a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31295&highlight=crime+rates) last year, which became part of the George Knue vs. WSI thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026&page=5&pp=15&highlight=hegemony) earlier this summer.

Have at it!

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2005, 07:53 AM
I am debating this issue with a non-White Sox (but also non-Cubs) fan on another message board. After he said:

..."[USCF] is in perhaps the poorest neighborhood of any baseball stadium in America..."

I replied with:

"Yankee Stadium is one example that makes the statement you just made false. I have been there. It is a very poor neighboorhood in the lower Bronx. I have never been to Detroit, but it is well known that Detroit has greatly struggled with poverty too."

Then, he said:

"Yankee Stadium is not in a great neighborhood. It's right up there with 'USCF's'."

Just shows the kind of nonsense we have to deal with.

tebman
10-04-2005, 07:57 AM

An exemplary letter, Ol' No. 2.

The real test for the Tribune will be to see if they publish it and/or acknowledge it.

DumpJerry
10-04-2005, 08:05 AM
A friend of mine (Sox fan, of course) recently came back from New York where he went to a Yankees game. He said you need a machine gun to get into Yankee Stadium because of the neighborhood around it.

I expect the Cubune to run a story about the neighborhoods around all the major sports arenas in the country........

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Here is another gem from another message board by a critic of our ballpark's neighborhood:

"...to even compare the neighborhoods surround yankee stadium and the cell is crazy. i'm not saying yankee stadium is in a good neighborhood, by any means. but i honestly feel safe around the stadium. i might not go there on non-game days, but i feel a zillion times safer around yankee stadium than the cell. also, if you wanna talk economic impact, or at least community impact, the area around yankee stadium has improved 100-fold over the last 10 years. the only crime around the stadium is ticket scalping. the neighborhood around the cell scares the crap out of me."

:wills
Drillrod

tebman
10-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Here is another gem from another message board by a critic of our ballpark's neighborhood:

Quote:
"...to even compare the neighborhoods surround yankee stadium and the cell is crazy. i'm not saying yankee stadium is in a good neighborhood, by any means. but i honestly feel safe around the stadium. i might not go there on non-game days, but i feel a zillion times safer around yankee stadium than the cell. also, if you wanna talk economic impact, or at least community impact, the area around yankee stadium has improved 100-fold over the last 10 years. the only crime around the stadium is ticket scalping. the neighborhood around the cell scares the crap out of me."

Did that come from the minutes of a Tribune Co. board meeting?

Viva Medias B's
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Did that come from the minutes of a Tribune Co. board meeting?

:roflmao:

cheeses_h_rice
10-04-2005, 10:50 AM

Where does this person live? Barrington Hills? His mom's basement in Lake Forest?

hose
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM

Tip of the hat goes to you for that letter, I'm glad you sent it.

TornLabrum
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Knue probably wasn't involved in that story. It's just that he spent a lot of energy a couple of months ago telling us that we were way off base in suggesting that there was even a hint of intent in the paper's coverage of the Sox. It was an vigorous debate that he clearly took personally, telling us that my depiction of his view of the paper having a "holy moat" around it that was not breached by the corporate business office was essentially accurate. He made it clear that he believes the intentions of the writers and editors are pure, and for us to suggest otherwise was unfair.

And he won't because that piece was indefensible.

hose
10-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Saturday I got into a heated discussion with a friend of mine who happens to be a life long Cub fan.

I mentioned that the local media really has treated the Sox poorly this year and that some of it was over the top ridiculous.

He kept telling me about how Friday's trib paper was nothing but Sox with Soxoctober and that I was being petty.

Yesterday I talked him on the phone and we were discussing the Sox chances and I asked him if he had Monday's Trib. After he said yes I told him to look at the front page.

He was stunned and in his words said that the article was a cheap shot.

He also went on to say that it is obvious that the Tribune is protecting it's investment in the Cubs.....his words not mine.

This may not seem like a big deal , but it's the first time he has ever admitted a media bias against the Sox .

voodoochile
10-04-2005, 11:24 AM
And he won't because that piece was indefensible.

More to the point I would bet he either got tired of having his ass handed to him by the posters who regularly leveled every argument he made defending the trib or he got told by his higher ups to stop defending the company on a "meaningless website".

I honestly believe that WSI has caused the trib to go into defense mode and some of that was seen in that McGrath editorial in which he said "moral ambiguity is the human condition". Little old WSI scares the bejeezus out of the tribune because we too have the means to make an impact. We too have a voice heard by 1000's and unlike them, our members are passionate people who want to make an impact.

They are going to wake up and pay attention to Sox fans eventually and WSI and other sports message boards can help. In fact if any of you post on other forums, I encourage you to start similar boycott threads to the one in the Clubhouse. Rally up Sox fans. We have a voice.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I honestly believe that WSI has caused the trib to go into defense mode and some of that was seen in that McGrath editorial in which he said "moral ambiguity is the human condition". Little old WSI scares the bejeezus out of the tribune because we too have the means to make an impact. We too have a voice heard by 1000's and unlike them, our members are passionate people who want to make an impact....

Actually that was Cubune public editor Don Wycliff who wrote about the "moral ambiguity" of reporting about the Cubs while working for the Cubune. It wasn't in the sports section; it was on the op-ed page. Yes, we are definitely having an impact on how these shills view themselves.

Of course Wycliff -- in his best Pontius Pilate impersonation -- absolved himself and his fellow hired shills of any responsibility for publicly addressing the "inherently conflicted situation" he admits exists at the Cubune. His adivice was caveat emptor, "let the buyer beware."

That's what makes Don Wycliff a contemptible pig on the subject. To hear Don tell it, the Cubune's mess is OUR problem to solve.

:o:

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2005, 11:40 AM
More to the point I would bet he either got tired of having his ass handed to him by the posters who regularly leveled every argument he made defending the trib or he got told by his higher ups to stop defending the company on a "meaningless website".

I honestly believe that WSI has caused the trib to go into defense mode and some of that was seen in that McGrath editorial in which he said "moral ambiguity is the human condition". Little old WSI scares the bejeezus out of the tribune because we too have the means to make an impact. We too have a voice heard by 1000's and unlike them, our members are passionate people who want to make an impact.

They are going to wake up and pay attention to Sox fans eventually and WSI and other sports message boards can help. In fact if any of you post on other forums, I encourage you to start similar boycott threads to the one in the Clubhouse. Rally up Sox fans. We have a voice.It seemed to me that after we skewered Knue over the headlines, they became more evenhanded for a while. No more "Somber Streak" stuff. But with the Sox playing and threatening to steal the Cubs thunder, they're now in all-out spin mode. They've abandoned even the pretext of evenhandedness.

henchmanUK
10-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Didn't Knue say he would speak up if someone had posted something wrong about the Cubune. Where is he? This is all you need to know. GO GO SOX.

George Knue
10-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I said I'd speak up when someone posted things that were untrue about me and my site -- not when they talked about the Tribune. If I were to post here whenever someone said something untrue or unfair about the Tribune, I wouldn't be able to do anything else. But you guys are calling me out, so I'll answer.

I don't work for the newspaper, though I did for about 15 years ... and I have worked for Tribune Company for more than 30 years. I work for ChicagoSports.com ... and I'm not involved in any of the discussions of what runs on the newspaper's news pages. I knew this story was coming, but no one ever talked to me about it ... and I didn't go to the trouble of making sure it got on my Web site.

I don't have anything to say about that story. I knew the reception it would receive from Sox fans -- and that was just the kind of reception it got. I also read it ... and felt like it reflected more positively on the team than anyone here thinks. That's why I chose to put it in our White Sox section -- though I did leave it off our main page because I didn't think it was that much of a sports story.

The mere existence of that story was going to provoke fury here. And most people were going to read it -- at least those who did read it -- with that kind of attitude ... so there's no way anyone would notice if it reflected well on the Sox anyway. You'd be too annoyed that it even was written ... and you were going to pick it apart like you do everything that has to do with the Sox, inevitably finding a million places that prove your massive, though still untrue, conspiracy theories.

I'm not going to defend or criticize the decision to run story. I believe I can understand part of the reason the story was done -- the White Sox have made themselves news, so what kind of an impact are they having on their neighborhood and the city? But I also understand, better than many, how people outside the Tribune react to these kinds of things based on the company's ownership of the Cubs.

And that's all I can say about it.

That said (and it wasn't much), I'm not going to spend a lot of time reacting to this note -- a Chicago baseball team is in the playoffs and that's how I need to spend my time. If you would like to address me, you can find my e-mail address on the site.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

dickallen15
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
I said I'd speak up when someone posted things that were untrue about me and my site -- not when they talked about the Tribune. If I were to post here whenever someone said something untrue or unfair about the Tribune, I wouldn't be able to do anything else. But you guys are calling me out, so I'll answer.

I don't work for the newspaper, though I did for about 15 years ... and I have worked for Tribune Company for more than 30 years. I work for ChicagoSports.com ... and I'm not involved in any of the discussions of what runs on the newspaper's news pages. I knew this story was coming, but no one ever talked to me about it ... and I didn't go to the trouble of making sure it got on my Web site.

I don't have anything to say about that story. I knew the reception it would receive from Sox fans -- and that was just the kind of reception it got. I also read it ... and felt like it reflected more positively on the team than anyone here thinks. That's why I chose to put it in our White Sox section -- though I did leave it off our main page because I didn't think it was that much of a sports story.

The mere existence of that story was going to provoke fury here. And most people were going to read it -- at least those who did read it -- with that kind of attitude ... so there's no way anyone would notice if it reflected well on the Sox anyway. You'd be too annoyed that it even was written ... and you were going to pick it apart like you do everything that has to do with the Sox, inevitably finding a million places that prove your massive, though still untrue, conspiracy theories.

I'm not going to defend or criticize the decision to run story. I believe I can understand part of the reason the story was done -- the White Sox have made themselves news, so what kind of an impact are they having on their neighborhood and the city? But I also understand, better than many, how people outside the Tribune react to these kinds of things based on the company's ownership of the Cubs.

That said (and it wasn't much), I'm not going to spend a lot of time reacting to this note -- a Chicago baseball team is in the playoffs and that's how I need to spend my time. If you would like to address me, you can find my e-mail address on the site.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

So you're the guy who put the letter on chicagosports.com about how when Comcast was having satelitte problems a couple of weeks ago, that it actually was Jerry Reinsdorf ordering the game not to be seen on local television so he could sell more tickets to the game, making it look like it was a legitimate news story. It actually was one of four headlines. You click on it, and it turns out it was one of those letters to the paper. Right, you aren't biased. The paper and the website are really scrambling, realizing if the Sox are successful, it may finally effect the Cubs and their bottom line. I have a suggestion, why don't you run a story about the ever present scent of urine and vomit at Wrigley Field, and if Ligue update was a sports story just like your sorry butt claimed it was last year, how about an update on the murder at Clark and Addison. Or an update on the story of the cop getting beaten after the Cub game at the Addison El stop.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 02:03 PM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

First, as always, a tip of the cap to you George for having the guts to respond here and answer your critics head-on. This isn't the first time you've done so, and it is duly noted you speak your piece even when doing so seems futile.

Speaking for myself, and I'm sure plenty of other Sox Fans, there was no issue with the Tribune writing such a piece -- it is the timing of the piece that has drawn our anger.

I find it ironic that you claim it is a positive piece about the Sox (and maybe it is), but just as quickly note it has little if anything to do with a Chicago baseball team in the 2005 playoffs. For us Sox Fans, that's the NUB of the issue! As somebody here already noted, the Tribune failed to cover the "poverty around Wrigley" angle back in October, 2003. So why is it important to cover that angle around Sox Park -- on the day before the playoffs start no less?

You have nothing to answer for, George. But Ann Marie Lipinski and her chief editors have PLENTY to answer for. There's no dancing around it.

George Knue
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
So you're the guy who put the letter on chicagosports.com about how when Comcast was having satelitte problems a couple of weeks ago, that it actually was Jerry Reinsdorf ordering the game not to be seen on local television so he could sell more tickets to the game, making it look like it was a legitimate news story. It actually was one of four headlines. You click on it, and it turns out it was one of those letters to the paper. Right, you aren't biased. The paper and the website are really scrambling, realizing if the Sox are successful, it may finally effect the Cubs and their bottom line. I have a suggestion, why don't you run a story about the ever present scent of urine and vomit at Wrigley Field, and if Ligue update was a sports story just like your sorry butt claimed it was last year, how about an update on the murder at Clark and Addison. Or an update on the story of the cop getting beaten after the Cub game at the Addison El stop.

We don't post newspaper letters to the editors on ChicagoSports.com. They come across as part of an automatic feed -- and you have to really be looking for it to find it, since we make no effort to make them easy to find. And last time I checked, letters to the editor are the opinions of the reader -- not of the publication publishing it -- so tell me again how that proves I'm biased. As to the Cubs reference, you seem to be insinuating that our bottom line is contingent on the Cubs in some way -- not true. You must be spending a lot of time at Wrigley to be bothered by the constant presence of urine and vomit that I have never smelled there (or at the Cell) -- and sorry, but William Ligue will belong to the Sox forever thanks to his activities inside the ballpark that made him news. Lastly -- when there are updates on those other stories, we'll put them on the site.

dickallen15
10-04-2005, 02:13 PM

We don't post newspaper letters to the editors on ChicagoSports.com. They come across as part of an automatic feed -- and you have to really be looking for it to find it, since we make no effort to make them easy to find. And last time I checked, letters to the editor are the opinions of the reader -- not of the publication publishing it -- so tell me again how that proves I'm biased. As to the Cubs reference, you seem to be insinuating that our bottom line is contingent on the Cubs in some way -- not true. You must be spending a lot of time at Wrigley to be bothered by the constant presence of urine and vomit that I have never smelled there (or at the Cell) -- and sorry, but William Ligue will belong to the Sox forever thanks to his activities inside the ballpark that made him news. Lastly -- when there are updates on those other stories, we'll put them on the site.

Well, one of the headlines the last week or so ago on chicagotribune.com on the sports page was indeed this letter. You didn't know it was a letter until you clicked on the story. It was one of 4 sports stories on the front page, and it wasn't even real.

maurice
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
You're right, Voodoo. WSI clearly has had an impact on the Trib media empire, particularly our good friend Mr. Knue. He now realizes that much of the Trib's conduct is indefensible, refuses to defend it, and now only tries to defend himself. FWIW, Mr. Knue's anti-Sox bias currently is significantly less than the anti-Sox bias expressed by other editors employed by the Trib media empire. He has, on occasion, done his best within the confines of his limited power to minimize particularly horrible examples of anti-Sox bias.

Nice letter, ON2. Unfortunately, the chances of getting that published are slim and none. I've had letters published by the Trib in the past, but only on the rare occasion that I agreed with an editorial.

George Knue
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
First, as always, a tip of the cap to you George for having the guts to respond here and answer your critics head-on. This isn't the first time you've done so, and it is duly noted you speak your piece even when doing so seems futile.

Speaking for myself, and I'm sure plenty of other Sox Fans, there was no issue with the Tribune writing such a piece -- it is the timing of the piece that has drawn our anger.

I find it ironic that you claim it is a positive piece about the Sox (and maybe it is), but just as quickly note it has little if anything to do with a Chicago baseball team in the 2005 playoffs. For us Sox Fans, that's the NUB of the issue! As somebody here already noted, the Tribune failed to cover the "poverty around Wrigley" angle back in October, 2003. So why is it important to cover that angle around Sox Park -- on the day before the playoffs start no less?

You have nothing to answer for, George. But Ann Marie Lipinski and her chief editors have PLENTY to answer for. There's no dancing around it.

I can understand your point about timing -- but it can work that way for the newspaper too. The Sox are news now -- so let's take a look at what kind of an impact the Sox are having on the city and their neighborhood right now. I did not claim the story was positive -- I said I thought it reflected positively on the team (and mind you, that is my opinion). That made it enough of a sports story to me that I posted it. But it still was essentially a non-sports story done for a non-sports section of the newspaper -- and the Tribune did those kinds of stories in 2003 regarding the Cubs and that neighborhood. Granted, I don't think that they discussed the poverty around Wrigley Field -- but I also don't think they discussed the various things the Cubs were doing for their neighborhood. I suspect those stories instead revolved around the party aspect of life around Wrigley.

I appreciate your comments and the tone. I don't know that I will ever feel my presence is welcome here, but I appreciate that at least I wasn't attacked ... though you are one of the people here who are most outspoken and angry about these kinds of issues. Thank you.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

tebman
10-04-2005, 02:33 PM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com
As before, thanks for responding. Credit is due to you for being willing to address these questions.

Having said that, it's pretty clear to me that there are two views of the world in these matters: inside The Tribune, and outside. You react with a metaphorical shrug to the story's content and timing, and still seem annoyed that we feel the way we do. As Sox fans, we look to our left and we see ESPN and its many clones either ignoring or ridiculing us. We look to our right and see gun turrets rotating atop the castle walls of The Tribune Company, blasting away at the White Sox for being in the wrong neighborhood and somehow being responsible for deep-rooted and racism-based urban poverty. And we know that behind those walls is the deep-pocketed ownership of the White Sox' central competitor in Chicago. Yeah, we react to that.

But we agree on one thing: there's a Chicago team in the playoffs and that's how we need to spend our time. We just wish the paper's editors would spend their time as constructively.

George Knue
10-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Having said that, it's pretty clear to me that there are two views of the world in these matters: inside The Tribune, and outside.

I agree.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

MsSoxVixen22
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I guess that explains why we eat so much food when we go to Sox Park

Chisox003
10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com
So if you recognize the fact that the Tribune lives, writes, and creates stories in its own little world, don't you think it'd be a good thing to try and change that?

Maybe....

maurice
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
it's pretty clear to me that there are two views of the world in these matters: inside The Tribune, and outside.

I think everyone can agree with this. Some folks inside the Trib feel that they are a paragon of virtue and always blameless. Folks outside the Trib (and even a few braves souls within the Trib) feel that the Trib is biased against the Sox and in favor of the team it owns.

The folks within the Trib have a clear bias in favor of themselves (just like everybody else in the world has a bias in favor of themselves). OTOH, it's sheer paranoia to believe that everybody else is part of a vast conspiracy against the Trib. There is no doubt that some of the critics probably are biased against the Trib. OTOH, the remainder are simply people who look at a series of headlines using the word "CHOKE," followed by a gratuitous cover story taking shots at the neighborhood, mixed with prominent articles defending Trib properties like Ron Santo, Wrigley Field, etc. and determine that something is amiss during this 99-win season.

BarbG
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
sorry, but William Ligue will belong to the Sox forever thanks to his activities inside the ballpark that made him news.

I guess it's nice to hear that admitted, but...

Does the guy who robbed the LaSalle bank downtown forever belong to LaSalle Bank thanks to his activities inside the bank that made him news? No.

Does the guy who robbed my mom at gunpoint at the Mobil station forever belong to Mobil thanks to his activities inside the station that made him news? No again.

Does the guy who committed the murder at Wrigley Field after attending the Cubs game forever belong to the Cubs? Of course not.

The list goes on and on and on. NO criminals are linked eternally with their victims/place of crime - with the blame placed firmly on their victims/place of crime - in this city except Ligue. It's called a double standard.

George Knue
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
So if you recognize the fact that the Tribune lives, writes, and creates stories in its own little world, don't you think it'd be a good thing to try and change that?

Maybe....

That isn't what I said. I agreed that there is a difference between how these things are perceived inside the Tribune and how they are perceived outside the Tribune. And I think the same thing could be said about any newspaper -- that there are times when it is disconnected to the public. And yes, it is good to change it. And yes I have tried and will continue to do so. Also -- this isn't true for every story, at all times. Sometimes there is a good connection.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

George Knue
10-04-2005, 03:26 PM
I guess it's nice to hear that admitted, but...

Does the guy who robbed the LaSalle bank downtown forever belong to LaSalle Bank thanks to his activities inside the bank that made him news? No.

Does the guy who robbed my mom at gunpoint at the Mobil station forever belong to Mobil thanks to his activities inside the station that made him news? No again.

Does the guy who committed the murder at Wrigley Field after attending the Cubs game forever belong to the Cubs? Of course not.

The list goes on and on and on. NO criminals are linked eternally with their victims/place of crime - with the blame placed firmly on their victims/place of crime - in this city except Ligue. It's called a double standard.

Bank robberies are not routine occurrences, but they are certainly more routine than what Ligue did. Can you recall anyone else ever running from the stands and attacking a coach on another team ... while a game was in progress?

If I were running a news site focusing on LaSalle Bank or Mobil, the same way I am now running a news site at least partially focused on the White Sox, those criminals would always be associated with those places ... and any news of those guys would run there.

And whenever there is news of the guy accused of the killing outside Wrigley Field two hours after the game ended, it will run on our site.

John Wayne Gacy will forever be linked with Rosemont. Richard Speck will forever be linked with Chicago. John Dillinger is forever linked with an alley on the North Side.

And there is no blame placed on the Sox/Sox park (the place) or Gamboa (the victim) -- the blame lies with Ligue. But it happened in Sox park. And it happened to Gamboa. And it was an extremely unique event.

It's not a double standard. It's news.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

PaleHoseGeorge
10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Bank robberies are not routine occurrences, but they are certainly more routine than what Ligue did. Can you recall anyone else ever running from the stands and attacking a coach on another team ... while a game was in progress?

If I were running a news site focusing on LaSalle Bank or Mobil, the same way I am now running a news site at least partially focused on the White Sox, those criminals would always be associated with those places ... and any news of those guys would run there.

And whenever there is news of the guy accused of the killing outside Wrigley Field two hours after the game ended, it will run on our site.

John Wayne Gacy will forever be linked with Rosemont. Richard Speck will forever be linked with Chicago. John Dillinger is forever linked with an alley on the North Side.

And there is no blame placed on the Sox/Sox park (the place) or Gamboa (the victim) -- the blame lies with Ligue. But it happened in Sox park. And it happened to Gamboa. And it was an extremely unique event.

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

Would the Tribune run a front-page piece about John Wayne Gacy when Rosemont might host a historic event for the first time in five years?

Is that what you consider "news" at the Tribune? The rest of us call it "making news," George. See the difference?

TomBradley72
10-04-2005, 03:38 PM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

So George...

Where are the constant reminders of when Cub fans jumped out of the bleachers and attacked a pitcher (Randy Myers?) during a game?
Or when the drunk frat boys behind the Dodgers bullpen got into it?
Or about the much higher crime rate that exists in the Wrigleyville neighborhood than around the Cell?
Or the lawsuits with the Cubs scam of a ticket scalping operation?
Where was the big article on the poor people that live around the United Center as the Bulls opened their playoffs this past spring?
Or articles about all of the public drunkenness, urination, etc. that goes on in the Wrigleyville neighborhood before/after games?
Where were the "Choker" headlines in 2003 when the Cubs pulled one of the all time chokes? (while this team NEVER lost the lead in the Division or lost the "best record in the AL" at any time in September)
Or last year when the Cubs completely gagged over the past 10 games?
The double standard at the Tribune is no longer even up for debate.

IowaSox1971
10-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Mr. Knue:

You know, as well as I do, that if the Cubs won 99 games during the regular season and were facing the defending world champions in the opening round of the playoffs that this type of "class-divide" story would not have been published in your newspaper just before the first postseason game. There would not have been a big story about the crime rate around Wrigley Field and how the poor people of this city are not able to go to the games, etc. So, quit trying to pretend that a double standard does not exist.

I also would like to hear some explanation for two columns published the day after the Sox won a 2-1, extra-inning thriller at Yankee Stadium. That victory in early August pushed the Sox record to 74-39, gave them a series victory over the Yankees and was one of the obvious highlights of their season. Instead, in the next day's Trib sports section, Rick Morrissey tried to stir up some controversy about an off-the-record conversation that Ozzie Guillen had with a friend and Phil Rogers wrote that the Sox really, really needed to sign the disgraced Rafael Palmeiro. Again, let me ask the same type of question: If the CUBS had been in a similar situation, would the Trib's two columnists covering the game that day have tried as hard to take the shine off of such a big victory? You know, and I know, that would not have happened.

We both also know that "somber sweep," "playing dodgeball," "choke hold" and other such headlines would not be used to describe Cub victories.

In addition, if the Sox had been six games out of the wild card lead in September, you know and I know that stories about the Sox would have been much more negative about their chances than were the stories (and wild card standings) concerning the Cubs last month.

Iwritecode
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Can you recall anyone else ever running from the stands and attacking a coach on another team ... while a game was in progress?

I believe it was Randy Myers that was attacked while on the pitchers mound...

daveeym
10-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I believe it was Randy Myers that was attacked while on the pitchers mound... But we're talking old feeble coaches who use walkers to get around. Apples and oranges.

A_ROW33
10-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I believe it was Randy Myers that was attacked while on the pitchers mound...

The man said coach, attacking a player well that's just accepted as commonplace.

itsnotrequired
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Somewhat off topic but look at chicagosports.com right now. Under the White Sox section, they have a story:

White Sox fans let loose at city rally (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051003soxrally,1,2035397.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
October 3, 2005
Hundreds gathered in a muddy, downtown vacant lot Monday to celebrate the White Sox's rare division championship.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/icons/story.gif ALCS ticket sale begins Thursday (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051003soxtickets,1,4776448.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Hundreds huh? Looks like the Sox can't get anyone to show up for their rally. No one likes the team!

But then click on the actual story:

Several thousand of them gathered with the zeal of those whose faith has been tested by fire.

So the "headline-reader" will think hundreds showed up when in fact it was thousands.

Honest mistake or planned agenda? That's for someone else to decide...

maurice
10-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you recall anyone else ever running from the stands and attacking a coach on another team ... while a game was in progress?

. . . on a Tuesday . . . under partly cloudy skies. These irrelevant restrictions are ridiculous. Many examples of analogous events have been posted in this thread, including events that occurred during games in Wrigley Field. Off the top of my head, victims of crimes committed by cub fans in the park during games include Myers, Kreuter, and Bartman. None of them (or the criminals who attacked them) are subjected to followup coverage. The basis for this discrepancy is obvious.

I'm sure we can look forward to a very special followup feature on Kreuter and how he's coped with being battered by the Wrigley faithful while innocently sitting in the bullpen during a game.

Perhaps you would, but the newspaper clearly would not. Running with this example, the Chicago Tribune covers important local business institutions like LaSalle in its business section. LaSalle banks sometimes get robbed, yet there are no followup articles discussing the subsequent lives of LaSalle bank robbers, certainly not in the Business section . . . nor should there be, since it is not a business story. Similarly, the subsequent life and times of Ligue, etc. is not a sports story.

This is daft. There certainly has been news re. this fellow. In fact, there has been news relevant to the Wrigley Murder itself. The newspaper has provided continuing coverage of other high-profile criminal cases. (In fact, it's covering at least one right now.) It simply has failed to provide continuing coverage of the Wrigley Murder story, leaving you with no articles to link -- in sharp contrast to Ligue, who didn't even kill anybody. No, it's not your fault, but it does reflect the discrepancy in coverage.

All of these people have far more in common with the Wrigley Murderer than they do with Ligue, who (again) didn't kill anybody. Yet, Ligue gets more coverage than the Wrigley Murderer.

maurice
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
With the Sox scoring 2 runs, knocking Clement out of the game, and extending their lead to 8-2, the lead news story on the Trib web page currently reads:

CHW: 8 | BOS: 2
ChicagoSports.com reports a Red Sox rally to chase Chicago's breakaway lead.

Contrast that with the front page at ESPN.com, probably the most pro-Boston mainstream media outlet:

MISMATCHED SOX
The Red Sox were supposed to have the imposing offense. But in Game 1, the White Sox are wielding the big bats to oust Matt Clement in the fourth.

tebman
10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
With the Sox scoring 2 runs, knocking Clement out of the game, and extending their lead to 8-2, the lead news story on the Trib web page currently reads:

Quote:
CHW: 8 | BOS: 2
ChicagoSports.com reports a Red Sox rally to chase Chicago's breakaway lead.

Hey, so what? You make it sound like we have a conspiracy theory.

As I type this, the score is now 13-2 in the 8th. Should we start a new "Guess Tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread?

George Knue by all indications is a sincere man who believes in his work. But it's hardly a leap of logic to suggest that the newspaper's senior editors have a narrative they like that the White Sox are spoiling.

Bah.

Now back to the game -- maybe the Tribune can do a story on the criminal revelry that will take place along 35th Street tonight.

Go Sox!:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
10-04-2005, 10:20 PM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.comSomehow, I knew that this story was going to be "justified" by pointing to the few parts of the story that highlight the good things the Sox are doing in the community. It's a fig leaf - nothing more. This story is one long caricature of the neighborhood around USCF meant to reinforce negative stereotypes. And it's so full of code words it's pathetic. By your own admission, similar stories done in 2003 made no mention of the poverty and crime that surround Wrigley. Those stories were all describing the nightlife and recreation in the area. And you're mystified how anyone could infer any type of bias in this difference? Please. Now you're insulting our intelligence.

DrCrawdad
10-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Somehow, I knew that this story was going to be "justified" by pointing to the few parts of the story that highlight the good things the Sox are doing in the community. It's a fig leaf - nothing more. This story is one long caricature of the neighborhood around USCF meant to reinforce negative stereotypes. And it's so full of code words it's pathetic. By your own admission, similar stories done in 2003 made no mention of the poverty and crime that surround Wrigley. Those stories were all describing the nightlife and recreation in the area. And you're mystified how anyone could infer any type of bias in this difference? Please. Now you're insulting our intelligence.

Great response. I said that would be the official response. 'Oh, you Sox fans with your conspiracy theories...' Then the ever popular, 'You team is playing well, why can't you just enjoy it...'

If it's only Sox fans, tell me Mr. Knue how you think Cubbie fans would respond if (hypothetically speaking) the Sox owned the Sun-Times and then a day before the Cubs hosted a post-season game the Sox owned Sun-Times ran an article about homosexual activities surrounding Wrigley and how they contrast with the Cubs usual crowd.

You know Cub fans and people in general would condemn it. So, why is it ok to run an article that panders to prejudice and preconceived notions about the neighborhood around The Cell?

Oh and I'd like to invite you, Mr. Knue, to my house. I'll serve you a wonderful meal, prepared by yours truly. However amid the many quality foods and ingredients I'll drop a loogie. Hey, it's just one loogie, everything else is of exceptional quality, so why should you take offense?

TommyJohn
10-04-2005, 11:01 PM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

In fact, I can remember an incident at Wrigley Field where a butthead ran
out of the stands to take a shot at Randy Myers. It happened in 1995
and back then WGN didn't even show it on TV, for which they were
upbraided in print by Mike Royko. Of course, Myers wasn't beaten, he
flattened his attacker with one punch. Still, it was an attack and it
happened during a game. So the Ligue incident is not unique to Sox Park
by any means.

Hitmen77
10-05-2005, 10:07 AM

George Knue
ChicagoSports.com

What about the CUBS fan who ran onto the field and attacked Randy Myers while the game was in progress? So, does forgetting that count as bias or selective amnesia? (i guess you covered yourself in your statement by saying "attacking a coach" - so you can say technically the Myers incident doesn't count)

What about the mob of CUB fans starting a mele with the Dodgers pitchers while the game was in progress.

These acts of fan violence were quickly forgotten by the press - but Mr. Ligue will live on forever and the media's poster boy for Sox Fans.

dickallen15
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Interesting how Mr. Knue has no response to the Myers attack or the Dodger's bullpen fracas. I guess that's not news like Ligue is a few years after his stupidity. The Tribune and its website are nothing but trash. With the murder at Clark and Addison a while back, I'm surprised they weren't running huge headlines with "Murder only 8.1 miles from USCF".

tebman
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Interesting how Mr. Knue has no response to the Myers attack or the Dodger's bullpen fracas. I guess that's not news like Ligue is a few years after his stupidity. The Tribune and its website are nothing but trash. With the murder at Clark and Addison a while back, I'm surprised they weren't running huge headlines with "Murder only 8.1 miles from USCF".
Give him time. I don't think he's been on since our exchange yesterday, but your point is on the mark. He's repeatedly made the point that Ligue's attack was unique among ballpark disturbances, exceeding that of the Rick Monday burning-flag save of years ago or of Ty Cobb's fistfights with hecklers, or Jimmy Piersall's dustup with rowdy fans who jumped on the field. There's a long list of these kinds of events, some that have even included (gasp!) the Cubs, most of which have already been described.

But hey, Ligue was in a class by himself. Just ask the Tribune.

voodoochile
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Give him time. I don't think he's been on since our exchange yesterday, but your point is on the mark. He's repeatedly made the point that Ligue's attack was unique among ballpark disturbances, exceeding that of the Rick Monday burning-flag save of years ago or of Ty Cobb's fistfights with hecklers, or Jimmy Piersall's dustup with rowdy fans who jumped on the field. There's a long list of these kinds of events, some that have even included (gasp!) the Cubs, most of which have already been described.

But hey, Ligue was in a class by himself. Just ask the Tribune.

That's exactly it. Even if William Lique will always be attached to his assault at the Cell, why do we need to keep reading his name? Other than that assault, what makes this man special enough to continue to follow his problem filled life? There are plenty of losers just like him who don't get a write up in the newspaper everytime they do something stupid or on the anniversary of their biggest screw up.

In the end, it's not about Lique it's about reminding everyone that a coach got assaulted at Soxpark a few years ago and that is the ultimate proof that the Cubune has an agenda. Because NO ONE cares about William Lique, period. No one...:rolleyes:

chisoxfan64
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I wonder why the Cubune hasn`t written an article stating that White Sox players should be careful going into the stands for foul balls. After all there will be Boston fans at the game and they are known to punch opposing teams players when they reach into the stands to try and catch a ball.:?:

Dan Mega
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Mr. Knue-

I think it would bring somewhat of a satisfaction to myself and perhaps fellow White Sox fans if the Tribune would stop claiming to be unbiased towards both the Cubs and the White Sox. If the Chicago Tribune could say "yes, we're biased towards the Cubs, naturally, because we are ownership" then that would probably lessen the animosity that Sox fans have towards the newspaper.

But to say that its just "news" that the Tribune strategically prints non-news about the White Sox during a postseason run while ignoring the problems inside and out of Wrigley is ridiculous. Its an insult to not only our intelligence but to anyone that reads the newspaper. Printing the truth about the happenings around the both teams is fine and preferred. But the fact that your paper claims to be unbiased, but tries downplay anything that goes wrong on the Cubs side, is ridiculous.

tebman
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't buy the Tribune, so I don't know if this made it into the print edition or not, but Ol' No. 2's letter calling out the Tribune for its hatchet job on the White Sox made it into the on-line version of the paper:

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/moreletters/chi-gsd21n08a.4oct04,0,2852748.story?coll=chi-newsmoreletters-hed)

Again, ON2, congratulations and thanks to you for so eloquently phrasing what we all were trying to say. :thumbsup:

miker
10-06-2005, 12:40 PM
So, the front page story on today's (Monday, 10/3) Cubune is about how many "poor people" live in the shadows of USCF.
Hey, they ran their quota of one positive puff piece about Minnie Minosso last Sunday, what more did you expect?

Hangar18
10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Somewhat off topic but look at chicagosports.com right now. Under the White Sox section, they have a story:

White Sox fans let loose at city rally (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051003soxrally,1,2035397.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
October 3, 2005
Hundreds gathered in a muddy, downtown vacant lot Monday to celebrate the White Sox's rare division championship.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/icons/story.gif ALCS ticket sale begins Thursday (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051003soxtickets,1,4776448.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Hundreds huh? Looks like the Sox can't get anyone to show up for their rally. No one likes the team!

But then click on the actual story:

So the "headline-reader" will think hundreds showed up when in fact it was thousands.

Honest mistake or planned agenda? That's for someone else to decide...

I was going to mention this!!!!!! "Hundreds" of fans? hahahahahahaha
Classic Kiley-ism right there ............. the word "hundreds" along with "muddy" "vacant Lot" implying this Rally was LESS than "official". I hate the Chicago Media ............

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't buy the Tribune, so I don't know if this made it into the print edition or not, but Ol' No. 2's letter calling out the Tribune for its hatchet job on the White Sox made it into the on-line version of the paper:

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/moreletters/chi-gsd21n08a.4oct04,0,2852748.story?coll=chi-newsmoreletters-hed)

Again, ON2, congratulations and thanks to you for so eloquently phrasing what we all were trying to say. :thumbsup:

...What makes this story reprehensible is the Tribune's cynical and callous exploitation of the people in this story for its own ends.

While feigning concern, the article carefully blends in images meant to reinforce stereotypes about the neighborhood and its residents. The story is filled with code words that will be understood all too well by your target audience. The people described in your article are mostly proud hard-working people who deserve a lot better than to be typecast to indirectly promote your own product. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

AMEN!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM

No. 2's well-considered and insightful letter to the editor DID NOT get published in the print version of the Chicago Tribune.

Here are the "Voice of the People" letters that DID get published...

NINE different letters either complaining about or applauding Federated Department Store's decision to take down the Marshall Field name and its related impact.
TWO different letters regarding Iraq and Afghanistan and related protests.
ONE inane "puzzle solvers" letter whimsically declaring the definition of an optimist being someone who works the Sudoku puzzle with an ink pen.
The feature letter is from the "co-director" of an organization publicizing a new drug program available under Medicare Part D. She doesn't explain why she needs to write the Cubune to get publicity for this newsworthy item, nor does the Cubune explain why "Voice of the People" is the place to publicize it.

Same ****. Different day. Now we just need George Knue to explain it all to us.

:kukoo:

Ol' No. 2
10-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Again, ON2, congratulations and thanks to you for so eloquently phrasing what we all were trying to say. :thumbsup:Aw, shucks. T'weren't nothin'.:redface: