PDA

View Full Version : Playoff memories...post them here

mike squires
10-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Good or bad.

I will never forget Mike Cameron being on first and him not going on 3 or 4 pitches. I'm not even sure if we threw over there. I'll have to get the tape out and look again...Then, Pinella actually comes out of the dugout and has a "meeting' with Cameron. Next pitch he goes and steals a base. I've never seen a manager call timeout and go talk to the runner at first.

Let's use this next off day recalling past memories in the playoffs...

Chisox003
10-03-2005, 01:46 AM
6 year old Chisox003 jumping up and down on his upperdeck blue Comiskey Park seat when the Sox clinched against Seattle in '93.

All I remember is Bo Jackson hitting that towering HR to left field, and the place just going up for grabs with rally socks waving all over the place...I waved mine like it was my job

Cant wait til Tuesday :gulp:

Law11
10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Freezing my butt off in 1983 in line for Playoff tickets the night before they went on sale.
My dad got us tickets to the infamous Tito Landrum game..

That's about it.
Playoff memories havent been all that great.

Here's hoping that changes this year.

chopperjc
10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Freezing in a pup-tent in Germany listening to the game on armed forces radio. The sox finally make it to the playoffs and I am in a tent sleeping on the ground.

Oh by the way did I mention my Pup-tent partner was from Baltimore???:angry:

Please I need some good memories:(: .

Cat Thief
10-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Sat behind Eddie Murrays wife in 83 during the final game.

It sucked. Hopefully there will be some good memories after this October.

harwar
10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I was in Morocco or just off the coast in 83,Europe in 93,living up in the colorado mountains in 2000.I'm only 100 miles away this time.
I have never even been close to a playoff game,but this time its going to be different and i'm counting the minutes until its time to go to the park.

chopperjc
10-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Freezing in a pup-tent in Germany listening to the game on armed forces radio. The sox finally make it to the playoffs and I am in a tent sleeping on the ground.

Oh by the way did I mention my Pup-tent partner was from Baltimore???:angry:

Please I need some good memories:(: .

Forgot to mention in 2000 the first game We had a storm got 10 inches of rain was flooded in the office and could not watch either.

Sad
10-03-2005, 10:21 AM
1983 working on my first semester tech school power supply project in kitchen whilst rest of the family was in next room watching the game. I could see TV fine but obviously not great memories... :(:

2005?

boiler up
10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
i was a freshman in highschool for the 2000 series and was royally pissed that the games were during the day. I would walk around with headphones on between classes and sometimes i would put a hood up in class so i could listen. I eventually got caught and had an in school suspension because i was trying to hear a big play when my math teacher caught me. wooops.

FoulTerritory
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I've been to 1 playoff game, and Michael Jordan retired. Thank god that can't happen again . . . or can it?

Chez
10-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I was lucky enough to score four upper deck seats to Game #1 of the ALDS in 2000. I took my mom (who was battling cancer at the time) and pulled my two sons out of school and climbed to the last row of the last section of the UD. About 15 minutes before game time, my first cousin (stoned out of his mind), sat down next to me -- completely random that his seats were next to mine and I had no clue that he would be there until that moment! I had to explain to my mom why her nephew found every little thing so funny. Good times -- despite the outcome.

Pulaski
10-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Hung over and depressed in 2000. That was an awful experience sitting at the Cell in Game 1 and 2.

Procol Harum
10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
:ohno

About says it for all of my White Sox playoff memories--let's change that in 2005!!

Max Power
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
I was watching Game 1 in 2000 in my dorm room at IU. Things were tense in the late innings... when someone decided to pull the fire alarm. Initially I was going to stay in my room, but it was so loud that I pretty much had to leave. I just remember standing outside for what seemed liked forever looking up at my window with the "Go White Sox" sign and wondering what was going on with the game.
I have vague recollections of watching the '93 series and being dissappointed.
Well, no one is going to pull the fire alarm this time cause I'll be at the stadium and hopefully I won't be dissappointed.

D. TODD
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
The only playoff game I was fortunate enough to attend in person was game 6 in 93. Not a pleasent memory of see the Jays celebrating.

The Tito Landrum blast was terrible in 83, but damn Dybzinski and his brain cramp on the bases is my worst memory.

2000 was just a asswiping so no single moment sticks out. Hopefully, this year will bring alot fonder memories. I am still on a sports high from the North Carolina national championship. The Sox bringing one home would be unbelievable!!!!!!

Dick Allen
10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
I sat about 10 feet from where Tito Landrum's HR landed. I just remember from that game that the Sox couldn't get a key hit to save their lives. Storm Davis, Tippy Martinez, any fool on the mound.

Muopsies
10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I was watching Game 1 in 2000 in my dorm room at IU. Things were tense in the late innings... when someone decided to pull the fire alarm. Initially I was going to stay in my room, but it was so loud that I pretty much had to leave. I just remember standing outside for what seemed liked forever looking up at my window with the "Go White Sox" sign and wondering what was going on with the game.
I have vague recollections of watching the '93 series and being dissappointed.
Well, no one is going to pull the fire alarm this time cause I'll be at the stadium and hopefully I won't be dissappointed.

I did the exact same thing at IU. Horrible time. What dorm were you in? I was at McNutt where my roommate snuck in a case and we drank and sat in misery as we all waited for Cameron to steal second and he did. I remember the Sox having a chance to score in the 9th when Charles Johnson came up and hit a duck snort that hung just too long and then the bottom fell out in the 10th. Depressed in class for game 2 and game 3, I was driving up 65 to go home when Rooney called the final play. As soon as Seattle scored, I turned off the radio and sat in angry silence with a car full of people for the last 70 miles.

Corlose 15
10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
I remember watching McDowell gettin his arse handed to him in the 1st game of the '93 ALCS. Also, Scott Radinsky giving up just enough insurance runs in the top of the ninth in game 6 that Warren Newson's home run in the bottom of the inning was meaningless instead of tying the game. :angry: :angry: :angry:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I am 0-3 at playoff games (0-2 in 1983 and 0-1 at the cub tie breaker game against the Dusty Baker Lead Giants several years ago (which the cubs won)) so maybe it wasn't a good idea to get tickets this time around.

1983 - Falling asleep watching game one after school during the game (I was sick) and missing the only win of the series. Having my Aunt kissed by Harry Caray (unrequested - we were all grossed out) after Game 3. The brawl in Game 3. Britt Burns' awesome game three, friggin Tito Landrum and the Dyber.

1993 - Knowing the Sox couldn't beat the Blue Jays. Won a $1,000 on the series in Vegas.

2000 - Knowing the Sox wouldn't score much against Seattle and not believing we would be worse than I thought possible.

2005 - Going to the clincher in Detroit. Having a strong opinion the White Sox have a very good team - our best to take it all since 1983. I think the White Sox have 11 wins in them. Time will tell.

Go White Sox!!!

veeter
10-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I was at game 6 vs. Toronto in '93. Young Alex against Dave Stewart, it did not go well. I do remember though, Pippen and Jordan were at the game and everyone gave them a standing 'O'. They were about to start for their third championship, I think. We were all hoping for the same for the Sox. Just didn't happen.

Max Power
10-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I did the exact same thing at IU. Horrible time. What dorm were you in? I was at McNutt where my roommate snuck in a case and we drank and sat in misery as we all waited for Cameron to steal second and he did. I remember the Sox having a chance to score in the 9th when Charles Johnson came up and hit a duck snort that hung just too long and then the bottom fell out in the 10th. Depressed in class for game 2 and game 3, I was driving up 65 to go home when Rooney called the final play. As soon as Seattle scored, I turned off the radio and sat in angry silence with a car full of people for the last 70 miles.

I was in Wilkie. And I also was going home during game 3. I caught the end on a tv in some bar in the Indianapolis airport. Then I had a depressing plane ride and el ride home to Evanston. Those were not good times.

SoxRule72
10-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Sad to say I was in attendance when the Orioles won game 4 AND when the Blue Jays won game 6! Only 2 playoff games I've ever been to.

I remember Comiskey being SOOOOOOO loud in 83, with the HAR OlD chant and everything the crowd was rocking. Harold never came through though and neither did anybody else. The hush of the crowd during and after Landrum's HR still haunts me. lol

Robin almost came through in Game 6 v the Jays, but the ball went foul. :(:

Foulke You
10-04-2005, 11:02 AM
My '93 memories consisted of watching with my Dad and my Cub fan friend who bought a Blue Jays hat for the series. It was tough but at least the Sox battled in that series. I thought we were a lock for the World Series with the pitching we had that year. In retrospect, Wilson Alvarez should have been the Game 1 starter and Black Jack's starts should have been kept to a minimum. The Jays just had his number.

My most vivid memories of Game 1 in 2000 as I watched from my perch atop a row that is no longer in the upper deck (row 28) was total elation as a sold out Comiskey Park explode when Ray Durham blasted a HR to deep center field. Ray Ray pumping his fist as he rounded the base was probably the only good memory I have from this series. After that, I had to endure Keith Foulke blowing it in the 10th and give up back to back homers to Edgar Martinez and John Olerud.
Game 2 I returned to my high perch, this time one row higher (row 29) and watch the Sox take an early lead only to blow it again, losing 5-2. Jay Buhner went yard and the White Sox must have set a record for most pop ups in 1 game. It was maddening.

ja1022
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Britt Burns pitching his ass off, and Tito ****in' Landrum. I caught the end of the game at a bar between a wedding ceremony and reception. When I got married, it was in November, so as not to interfere with the baseball season.

tebman
10-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Several references here to the infamous Tito Landrum game in 1983. Here's mine:

I waited in line at Comiskey Park with my (then 1 year-old) son the Saturday before when remaining tickets went on sale. It was cold and damp, but the folks in line were in good spirits. A couple of 55-gallon drums had trash burning in them to try to make it warmer. Fortunately my son was in good humor and enjoyed himself as we waited in line for several hours.

Got three standing-room tickets to that game. Went with my wife and my mother and ended up standing on the left-field-side scoreboard ramp the whole game. Watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life and was caught up in the tense energy of the crowd as the double-shutout went through nine innings. When Landrum hit his homer it was as if a soundproof door was closed. I remember hearing only the drone of the TV blimp drifting overhead.

In the Sox' last half-inning, the thing that sticks with me like a bad dream is seeing Greg Luzinski watch three strikes go by. All the last-chance metaphors danced in my head -- why in God's name would anybody watch three strikes go by in that situation? Swing, bunt at it, lean into it, do something! But he didn't.

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart." - Bart Giamatti

Soxzilla
10-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Getting home from school in time to watch all of game 3 by myself. James Baldwin, injured shoulder and all, pitched the absolute game of his life, only for us to scratch just one run across (all thanks to the wily veteran Harold Baines on a double and two sacrifices) and Blown Save Foulke to lose it for us in the end.

Not many good memories here, either :(.