PDA

View Full Version : GROAN: Berman to announce ALDS

gf2020
10-03-2005, 12:51 AM
From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051002sherman,1,7809393.column?coll=cs-home-utility

In the booth
Get ready for a full dose of Chris Berman, Sox fans. "The Boomer" will call at least the first three games of the series for ESPN. He will be joined by former Cub Rick Sutcliffe and New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza.
This blows on so many levels.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 12:52 AM
From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051002sherman,1,7809393.column?coll=cs-home-utility

In the booth

Get ready for a full dose of Chris Berman, Sox fans. "The Boomer" will call at least the first three games of the series for ESPN. He will be joined by former Cub Rick Sutcliffe and New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza.

This blows on so many levels.

Better than McCarver.

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Wow, that's, like, comically bad.

Maybe Piazza will show us some love, due to the '86 World Series history?

Chisox003
10-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Sutcliffe?

Hang on.....

<insert ridiculously overused chunks tag>

Ok...Sutcliffe?? Why???

dcb33
10-03-2005, 01:01 AM
NOT to compare him to Berman, but has anyone else noticed Hawk has started saying "Back back back back" when any deep flyball is hit?

Brewski
10-03-2005, 01:06 AM
NOT to compare him to Berman, but has anyone else noticed Hawk has started saying "Back back back back" when any deep flyball is hit?

Didn't Berman once do a Sox game and pay homage to Hawk with "You can put it on the board, GONE!" At least he was close. The good news is, he's a lead PBP. The bad news is, he's a bad PBP.

ElDuque26
10-03-2005, 01:06 AM
thank god i am going to game 2....im gonna have to do the old watch the game with commentary coming from the radio...i actually will be longing for hawk and DJ...thats weird

mike squires
10-03-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm not a BErman fan, but it could be worse. Sutcliffe in my opinion does a great job with the color. Berman and Sut did our 2000 series as well. It could be worse.

I like McCarver...

pudge
10-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Aren't the games on WGN too?

gf2020
10-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Aren't the games on WGN too?

Yeah, but they just pick up the ESPN feed. They will however have their own produced pre and post game shows, which makes me hope that Hawk will have some type of role.

mike squires
10-03-2005, 01:27 AM
The way Hawk sounded during his goodbye after the game, he won't be apart of any kind of telecast. He said, "We'll see you next year in Tuscon and enjoy the postseason..." I have a feeling Hawk will be back in Florida watching the games on his big screen..

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 01:29 AM
The way Hawk sounded during his goodbye after the game, he won't be apart of any kind of telecast. He said, "We'll see you next year in Tuscon and enjoy the postseason..." I have a feeling Hawk will be back in Florida watching the games on his big screen..

I have a feeling Hawk will be in the ballpark and in the locker room for the celebrations.

Banix12
10-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I was actually kinda hoping for Stone, at least he is familiar with the white sox

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Well I guess I am listening to the radio. I hate how MLB wont allow us to have our local broadcasters.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I hate how MLB wont allow us to have our local broadcasters.

Has something to do with the several billion dollars Fox and ESPN fork over to MLB.

The Dude
10-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Berman....it cant get much worse than him! :angry::angry: He will cream his pants if Manny or Ortiz hits anything close to a homer.

But the good news is we wont have that issue because Jose, Mark and Jon will shut the big 2 down! :D:

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 01:52 AM
I know about the money, but can't they figure out a way to put them on Comcast or something. I HATE ESPN baseball announcers.

peeonwrigley
10-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Berman....it cant get much worse than him! :angry::angry: He will cream his pants if Manny or Ortiz hits anything close to a homer.

But the good news is we wont have that issue because Jose, Mark and Jon will shut the big 2 down! :D:

But maybe if the Sox hit a big HR, you'll get the "back, back, back, you can put it on the board........ GONE"

I wish that was teal-worthy, but its not. Berman sucks.

I'm pretty pissed about this. I'll probably have to listen to Rooney & Farmer on the radio.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 01:55 AM
I know about the money, but can't they figure out a way to put them on Comcast or something. I HATE ESPN baseball announcers.

Again, why would a business which paid billions of dollars for a product give away the rights to the product?

IowaSox1971
10-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Berman is a horrible announcer. It's very difficult to listen to him for any length of time. I'm very disappointed with this.

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Again, why would a business which paid billions of dollars for a product give away the rights to the product?

Hey thanks for the business lesson Shemp, I was hoping that maybe MLB could recognize that local fans dont like national announcers, maybe they could make it as a SAP or something. Muppit

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey thanks for the business lesson Shemp, I was hoping that maybe MLB could recognize that local fans dont like national announcers, maybe they could make it as a SAP or something. Muppit

I appreciate the personal insult.

TheOldRoman
10-03-2005, 02:00 AM
I was actually kinda hoping for Stone, at least he is familiar with the white sox
I agree, he is much more knowledgeable than Sutcliffe, and would call an unbiased game.
Rick Sutcliffe hates the White Sox with a passion. Everytime that stooge calls a Sox game, he bashes them unrelentingly. I dont want to sit through this series hearing from that piece of crap how the Sox are a fluke, the fans are horrible, the park is horrible, and we are nothing compared to the great history and beautiful stadium the Cubs posess. I know already that there is going to be a thread bitching about Sutcliffe and the garbage he says during this series. Burman is a moron, but he said something wise tonight. "This White Sox team, who really had nothing to play for, earned a LOT of respect this weekend going into Cleveland and playing the way they did." I can live with him, I can't live with Sutcliffe.

This is going to be like watching wrestling. Sutcliffe will play the part of the ultimate heel, Bobby "the brain" Heenan. He will trash the Sox non-stop and talk up the Red Sox to no end. When one the Red Sox get called out on an obvious play he will probably say "the umpires messed up, he was clearly safe". He might even say "you are crazy, there is no way that was a strike. BALL FOUR" after watching Ramirez swing at strike three.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I agree, he is much more knowledgeable than Sutcliffe, and would call an unbiased game.
Rick Sutcliffe hates the White Sox with a passion. Everytime that stooge calls a Sox game, he bashes them unrelentingly. I dont want to sit through this series hearing from that piece of crap how the Sox are a fluke, the fans are horrible, the park is horrible, and we are nothing compared to the great history and beautiful stadium the Cubs posess. I know already that there is going to be a thread bitching about Sutcliffe and the garbage he says during this series. Burman is a moron, but he said something wise tonight. "This White Sox team, who really had nothing to play for, earned a LOT of respect this weekend going into Cleveland and playing the way they did." I can live with him, I can't live with Sutcliffe.

This is going to be like watching wrestling. Sutcliffe will play the part of the ultimate heel, Bobby "the brain" Heenan. He will trash the Sox non-stop and talk up the Red Sox to no end. When one the Red Sox get called out on an obvious play he will probably say "the umpires messed up, he was clearly safe". He might even say "you are crazy, there is no way that was a strike. BALL FOUR" after watching Ramirez swing at strike three.

Best way to shut these guys up is to win. If we do that, they cannot say a damn thing.

RedPinStripes
10-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Well I guess I am listening to the radio. I hate how MLB wont allow us to have our local broadcasters.

I'm right there with ya. I'm almost positive Roony and Farmer will be doing the game on am1000. IIRC, they did in 2000.

TheOldRoman
10-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Best way to shut these guys up is to win. If we do that, they cannot say a damn thing.
No, they will still say the same ****. It is still ESPN, so we will still get garbage from them.

Like I said before, the night we win the world series, ESPN will devote 9/10 of sportscenter to talking about the return of hockey. The next day, they will run a story on their webpage on the "25 worst champions of all time" with the 2005 White Sox at number one. I can't wait, and I hope they get the chance to bash us in such a manner.

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 02:05 AM
I appreciate the personal insult.

If you were a little teensy bit less condescending, I'm sure you wouldn't receive them so often.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 02:13 AM
No, they will still say the same ****. It is still ESPN, so we will still get garbage from them.

Like I said before, the night we win the world series, ESPN will devote 9/10 of sportscenter to talking about the return of hockey. The next day, they will run a story on their webpage on the "25 worst champions of all time" with the 2005 White Sox at number one. I can't wait, and I hope they get the chance to bash us in such a manner.

I guess I fall in the crowd of those who really don't care. Nothing those guys say or do impacts the game in any way. ANd quite honestly, Hawk has been annoying as hell these last couple of months. And DJ, well, he has never been any good.

MUsoxfan
10-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Rooney and Farmer it is. Sutcliffe is nearly on the same level as Santo in my book

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Sounds like a lot of people are watching these games at home? I am so looking forward to seeing the games on the big screens at the bar. But I am definitely not drinking during the games, as I want to remember and enjoy every second of this post season, just as I enjoyed the regular season every single day.

peeonwrigley
10-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Sounds like a lot of people are watching these games at home? I am so looking forward to seeing the games on the big screens at the bar. But I am definitely not drinking during the games, as I want to remember and enjoy every second of this post season, just as I enjoyed the regular season every single day.

I'm undecided. I only have one class Tuesday so I might just head down to the Cell and see what I can get 10 minutes after the game starts... and if nothing pans out just head to Jimbo's. Otherwise I'm doing the TV/radio thing.

I've got a test Wednesday night starting at 6:00 :angry::angry::angry: - what I do after will be determined by the score when I leave my test.

Friday I'll definitely watch in a bar up here... Burwood Tap or Kendalls or something.

ilsox7
10-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm undecided. I only have one class Tuesday so I might just head down to the Cell and see what I can get 10 minutes after the game starts... and if nothing pans out just head to Jimbo's. Otherwise I'm doing the TV/radio thing.

I've got a test Wednesday night starting at 6:00 :angry::angry::angry: - what I do after will be determined by the score when I leave my test.

Friday I'll definitely watch in a bar up here... Burwood Tap or Kendalls or something.

Wednesday is a bitch for me. I have a legal writing class from 5-7 that I am trying to see if I can leave at 6. But we are due back a draft of a paper. I think it will depend on how we do Tuesday. If we win, I could stand missing the first part of Wednesday.

longshot7
10-03-2005, 03:30 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about. I find Sutcliffe intelligent and unbiased. In fact, I had to listen to him today on ESPN, and he was great. Boomer sucks, but I'm looking forward to hearing Rick & Mike.

ClaudelSleptHere
10-03-2005, 04:19 AM
I also have never had a problem with Sutcliffe, which is surprising, since I disliked him so much when he played. Berman, on the other hand, is one bag of wind that I just cannot listen to. Radio, here I come.

StockdaleForVeep
10-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Anyone is better than jeff brantley

http://www.funvalleysports.com/history/images/bigs/jeff_brantley.jpg
"I told those moron sox fans how stupid ozzie was in his he mis-used his closer and didnt know how to manage, now look where the sox are"

Kogs35
10-03-2005, 07:15 AM
sutcliff called the whitesox game yesterday at the jake, and he was good. nothing negative suprisingly, said the sox where the best team in baseball. hopefully he calls a good game like sunday and raises bermans game up so hes not annoying this time. too bad they didnt give us dave o' brian

LuvSox
10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Berman and Sutcliffe? That's just ****ing great. Just like 2000, Berman will find a way to dig at us.

stl_sox_fan
10-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Anyone is better than jeff brantley

http://www.funvalleysports.com/history/images/bigs/jeff_brantley.jpg

I second that. I would spend the whole game trying to rip my arm off so I could throw something at the TV. But trying to watch him fit his fat neck into a small shirt collar is pretty amusing.

krohnjw
10-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I will be listening to rooney and farmer on XM hopefully :smile: with the TV on mute. All the negative sox crap gets on my nerves, even if it is just crap and fodder.

bennyw41
10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Didn't Berman once do a Sox game and pay homage to Hawk with "You can put it on the board, GONE!" At least he was close. The good news is, he's a lead PBP. The bad news is, he's a bad PBP.

Berman is the worst. But...I think he was mixing his horrible home run call with hawks, but he still is the worst.

Sad
10-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Berman and Sutcliffe? That's just ****ing great. Just like 2000, Berman will find a way to dig at us.

Berman BLOWS!

I can't stand that self-promoting drillrod... :angry:
his schtick wore out years ago :mad:

harwar
10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I guess we should be happy as chris berman is considered to be their top guy but he seems to hate the White Sox and over the years has ripped them every time he had a chance.
I don't have a problem with Sutcliff except for the fact that he is really annoying.
A couple of years ago this would have been bad because he was attacking the Sox and bringing up the cubs every chance he got but he has since mellowed out on that(i wonder why) and is fairly unbiased.
I will only be watching this weekend but i would much prefer Steve Stone as he not only knows baseball,but is a great color guy.

Fenway
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
It is as bad as I feared.

ESPN then took Game 1 of the Red Sox-White Sox series as its 4 p.m. game, following Padres-Cardinals at 1 p.m. Chris Berman, Rick Sutcliffe, and Mike Piazza are scheduled to work the first three games of the Red Sox-White Sox series.

Fox taking the Yankees (again) in prime time comes down to local ad dollars on FOX5 New York. On Saturday...

Saturday's telecast did a 5.4 overnight rating, tying it with the Fox network's all-time regular-season baseball broadcasts, two 1998 games involving the home run race between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. In Boston, Saturday's game did a 22.6 rating (54 share), the top regular-season rating for a Fox network game in this market. In New York, the game did an 11.4 rating (28 share), third-highest regular-season rating for Fox in the nation's No. 1 market. Cleveland did a 13.4 rating (34 share) while Chicago, which already had clinched a berth, posted a 4.8 rating (14 share) . . .

harwar
10-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I would much prefer Gary Thorn,Steve Stone,& Steve Philips.

Andy T Clown
10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Maybe Hawk and DJ can come over to my house and do play by play. :gulp:

Fenway
10-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Berman was simply awful last year in the Boston/Anaheim series. We really WERE looking forward to McCarver.

WEEI at least tries to sync their audio with network broadcasts so people can listen on radio but it is becoming next to impossible.

If they sync to Comcast analog then the people watching with digital boxes are lost. HDTV adds more delay and the 2 dish services are sometimes 30 seconds behind.

MLB USED to allow home announcers in the ALCS. I remember Dick Stockton and Harrelson doing the 1975 ALCS on Channel 38 here.

But what REALLY ticks me off is how Fox doesn't allow any access to their other regional games. I would have liked to see Houston/Cubs, Nats/Phillies on Saturday but nada.

Then Fox angered everybody in both Boston and New York by going to the White Sox/Cleveland game all the time. They cut to Jeannie in the studio 11 times in the first 3 innings to show NOTHING ( popups, flyballs )

slavko
10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
He was part of a big Cell moment for me. The Orioles had a middle inning lead, Ripken kicked a ground ball and we rallied to take the lead and win. Fisk coming off the DL hit a 3 run pinch double that kicked up chalk. Good game, Red Baron.

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, at least you guys in Chicago have the Rooney-Farmer option! Berman of course is horrible and Sutcliffe puts me to sleep. I've never heard Piazza but with Berman around, he and Sutcliffe probably aren't going to get to say very much anyway. I cannot listen to "Boomer" for more than about 10 seconds without being physically sick. This totally sucks. :mad:

My Plan A was to watch the first game at home because it's on at 1pm here. Now I have to choose between Plan B--watch at home with the sound down and "Na-Na-Hey-Hey" playing in the background, and Plan C--bag it and go to the local sports bar.

I hate ESPN. :angry:

monkeypants
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Then Fox angered everybody in both Boston and New York by going to the White Sox/Cleveland game all the time. They cut to Jeannie in the studio 11 times in the first 3 innings to show NOTHING ( popups, flyballs )
You poor guy. Having to hear about two other teams that you don't care about is a shame. I'm glad you came here to complain and to find sympathy.

Kogs35
10-03-2005, 11:53 AM
at least erin andrews will be the field reporter :cool:

Dolanski
10-03-2005, 11:58 AM
We really WERE looking forward to McCarver.

McCarver was such a Yankee rooter last year it was ridiculous. When he said Derek Jeter had "the calmest eyes in baseball", I almost lost it. Just a little too homoerotic there, Tim.

I can't stand McCarver, but at least he has given the Sox some props this season.

chopperjc
10-03-2005, 12:01 PM

I will be watching at home and not drinking as well but....:smokin: I will remember and enjoy like the regular season as well.

nlentz88
10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Berman, Sutcliffe, and Piazza? I have no problems with that only because I prefer to listen to the best baseball radio team in the country, Rooney and Farmer. I don't have any fancy cable, so the delay between the muted tv video and the radio audio is negligible. I can't wait to hear a postseason call of "that's a White Six Winner!"

my5thbench
10-03-2005, 01:54 PM
yea Berman is a blowhard, but I think Sutcliffe is a 1st class broadcaster

grinderrule#1
10-03-2005, 01:55 PM
yah listining to hawk say good by yesterday was very depressing

hawkjt
10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Yesssss! the goodbye on the last game of the season is always melancholy. Baseball is such a daily rejoinder from reality it just really stinks for a season to end normally but a season like this? Doubly brutal.

I wanted this season to go on forever!!! Thanks Sox.

akingamongstmen
10-03-2005, 02:06 PM
yea Berman is a blowhard, but I think Sutcliffe is a 1st class broadcaster

I agree completely, and I think Piazza could be entertaining.

longshot7
10-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, at least you guys in Chicago have the Rooney-Farmer option! Berman of course is horrible and Sutcliffe puts me to sleep. I've never heard Piazza but with Berman around, he and Sutcliffe probably aren't not going to get to say very much anyway. I cannot listen to "Boomer" for more than about 10 seconds without being physically sick. This totally sucks. :mad:

My Plan A was to watch the first game at home because it's on at 1pm here. Now I have to choose between Plan B--watch at home with the sound down and "Na-Na-Hey-Hey" playing in the background, and Plan C--bag it and go to the local sports bar.

I hate ESPN. :angry:

Go to the bar. At least then, you can celebrate (read: drink a lot) when they win.

MarySwiss
10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Go to the bar. At least then, you can celebrate (read: drink a lot) when they win.

I can drink a lot at home, too! :rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
When I heard about Berman doing the games :thud: Sutcliffe isn't as bad, he's got the Flub factor but he isn't biased like Brantley (who last week said he'd love to see the Red Sox in instead of the White Sox because they deserved it more, even though the White Sox had a better September record, showing his bias), and he was giving props to the Sox in yesterday's Sox game on ESPN2. Mike Piazza - eh - I'm never a big fan of current players sitting in, provides for uncomfortable moments, especially early. May be he's scouting for a place as South Side DH next year?

I'll be watching in HD, but ESPN doesn't have Dolby Digital 5.1, so I can go with the radio feed.

Stroker Ace
10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
I envy all of you back in Chicago. I'm in NY, and I can't walk ten feet with my Sox hat on without getting harassed or a dirty look from some Yankmee or Blowsawk fan. I wish there was a sports bar out were. All the bars are lousy night clubs.:angry: I'll end up paying for the games on the radio and muting the TV.

veeter
10-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I just remeber in 2000, Berman was doing the Sox/ Mariner game. They scanned the crowd and a Sox fan had a poster that read, "What's the attendance in Wrigley today?" Well Berman got pissed. He was like, "that's terrible sportsmanship" and "unintelligent". He was like he was scolding a three year old. I mean first, it was a great joke and second it's a joke, you jagmo. Have a personality and sense of humor you blow hard. I'm sickened he's doing the games.

ClaudelSleptHere
10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
All of this can be solved easily if someone will just send a large pizza up to the ESPN booth just as the game is about to start. That ought to take care of Berman for a while, since he can't get a sentence out now without gasping for breath. Oh, and to the previous poster who said Berman was considered ESPN's "top guy." WHAT?????

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Dave O'Brien, Gary Thorne, Jon Miller and Dan Schulman would all have been better choices than Berman. And it's not even close. Oh well, at least we are in the position to complain about who is announcing our playoff games.:D:

Tragg
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Dave O'Brien, Gary Thorne, Jon Miller and Dan Schulman would all have been better choices than Berman. And it's not even close. Oh well, at least we are in the position to complain about who is announcing our playoff games.:D:

Yep

Berman's a terrible announcer. He's also an ESPN employee, which, by job description means "I will hype Boston, I will hype U Conn, I will hype the Big East.... I will hype Boston, I will hype U Conn, I will hype the Big East" ESPN takes care of their home-town teams, and always have.

TommyJohn
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Berman? NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

LuvSox
10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
I just remeber in 2000, Berman was doing the Sox/ Mariner game. They scanned the crowd and a Sox fan had a poster that read, "What's the attendance in Wrigley today?" Well Berman got pissed. He was like, "that's terrible sportsmanship" and "unintelligent". He was like he was scolding a three year old. I mean first, it was a great joke and second it's a joke, you jagmo. Have a personality and sense of humor you blow hard. I'm sickened he's doing the games.

I remember that well.