PDA

View Full Version : Jose is hot, but...

ChiSoxMTR
10-02-2005, 10:56 PM
he does have a career 11.67 era against Boston. I don't disagree at all with him being the Geme #1 starter, but it is intresting how drastically he has turned things around since the All-Star Break to be most people's obvious choice to start the first playoff game against Boston.

Ventura Fan 23
10-02-2005, 10:57 PM
He's a different pitcher than the one he was when he had that 11 ERA.

SoxFan76
10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
He's a different pitcher than the one he was when he had that 11 ERA.

It's like in '03 when a batter would come up and he had a .345 career average vs. Loaiza. That really didn't mean anything (at the time).

Or this year, Player A has a .456 career average against Neal/Neil (I forget) Cotts. It don't matter, that was against the old Cotts.

My point? Well I guess I'm just repeating the previous poster. That was the OLD Jose.

Daver
10-02-2005, 11:04 PM
he does have a career 11.67 era against Boston. I don't disagree at all with him being the Geme #1 starter, but it is intresting how drastically he has turned things around since the All-Star Break to be most people's obvious choice to start the first playoff game against Boston.

:iron

The past is for cowards and losers.

santo=dorf
10-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Careers against the Sox.
Clement: 5.32 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 6 HR in 32.2 IP.
Wells: 4.58 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 27 HR in 157.1 IP
Wakefield: 5.42 ERA, 1.51 WHIP 21 HR in 116.1 IP

dcb33
10-02-2005, 11:20 PM

So what? As a White Sox he's 2-0 against the BloSox with an ERA considerably lower than 11.67, AND he's been the hottest pitcher in the AL since the ASB. I have full confidence he will continue shutting opponents down.

SABRSox
10-02-2005, 11:22 PM
So what? As a White Sox he's 2-0 against the BloSox with an ERA considerably lower than 11.67, AND he's been the hottest pitcher in the AL since the ASB. I have full confidence he will continue shutting opponents down.

Absolutely. You go with the hot hand. Contreras kept this team in it in the second half. He earned the game 1 start, and given how batters just can't hit him as of late, it was a no brainer...

jdm2662
10-02-2005, 11:37 PM

Prior to the start he made on that early Saturday morning game, Johan Santana had an over 4 career ERA against the White Sox. It sure hasn't showed lately.

Optipessimism
10-03-2005, 12:16 AM
When you start off a game with like two walks and a WP, putting yourself in a 'get-me-over' fastball situation to Ortiz/Ramirez you are bound to get hammered early. And if you play in NY and you get hammered early, you sit down very early too. You take an outing like that where you give up a bunch of runs in a short amount of time, your ERA goes way up. That was the old Jose.

The new Jose trusts his fastball at all times. Even if he gives up a gopherball or a line drive hit somewhere, he goes back to the fastball. Because he trusts his fastball he can throw that forkball when he is ahead of hitters, and because he has them 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, hitters chase and K. This gives him confidence in the forkball, which he has been keeping down, to the point where if he absolutely needs to throw three straight (ala Jacque Jones AB vs. Minny) he can and get the K.

Jose has become one nasty SOB. And the thing is, with the way he has been going, it doesn't look like he may ever revert to that old Jose so long as he puts on that Sox uniform. As we all know, he has the stuff, has the velocity, it was just all in his head. Now that's gone, so watch the **** out Boston. As Rub Baker said in Major League II, "you're standin' on the tracks and the train is about to come through, butthead."

Jjav829
10-03-2005, 12:24 AM

Yeah, I think everyone is thinking about that a bit, but this is the right move. Contreras has been amazing in the second half. He's an actual pitcher now, unlike the last two years when he faced the Red Sox. Contreras has to pitch game #1. If he blows up, oh well, move on to game #2 and hope Buehrle is on his game. But if he pitches like he has recently, we're going to have a good chance to win if our offense can push across a few runs.

elrod
10-03-2005, 12:28 AM
First inning is key for Jose. If he gets through OK then we'll know the new Jose is still with us. I worry that in a playoff situation he stresses too much and lets the bad habits come back out.

doogiec
10-03-2005, 07:23 AM
If you look closely, the ERA is inflated by three horrible starts at Fenway Park. He has pitched well against Boston elsewhere.

Don't know what his problem is with Fenway, but it won't come into play here.