PDA

View Full Version : Interesting photo I took at Wrigley, 1980

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Cubs/Dodgers game in the heat of summer...are those empty seats in the bleachers?

:o:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2741/garvey4rb.jpg

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2005, 08:00 PM
...more empty seats? This can't be.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2354/cubs9um.jpg

34rancher
10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
That picture has been doctored. Everyone knows that the bushs in the batter's eye, the rooftops, and the lush, thick ivy (until those damn sox fans:cool:) have been at wrigley since before the game was invented.

zach23
10-02-2005, 08:03 PM
If I remember correctly in the late 70's there were many games where they would close the upper deck and send the few people that were up there down to the lower deck to sit.

chisoxmike
10-02-2005, 08:06 PM
:sahaf
"No no no. The photos have been doctored by typical smut Sox fans. Everybody knows the Cubs have outdrawn the Sox every year in their historic run in the city of Chicago. There has never been an empty seat in Wrigley Field. NEVER! And one more thing... the Sox are not 2005 AL Central Divison Winners.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2005, 09:01 PM
The Cubs were closing down the upper deck as recently as the 1983 season. I have a video copy of the WLS-TV special 'Sox on the Move' and the late Tim Weigle talks and shows it at Wrigley Field where he went to get Cub fan impressions of the Sox success.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
10-02-2005, 09:19 PM
In 1981 they averaged fewer than 10,000 per game.

DrCrawdad
10-02-2005, 09:54 PM
In 1981 they averaged fewer than 10,000 per game.

The average attendance during Santo's 14 years with the Cubs? 14,000.

Remember that next time you hear him talking about how the Cubs drew so well during his years.

CLR01
10-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Maybe the were just up getting hot dogs or pissing in a trough? :dunno:

LongLiveFisk
10-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Honey, I've gotta tell you, pre-1984 nobody cared about Wrigley. Remember the famous Lee Elia tirade of 1983? There were about 3,000 people in the stands. So, here's how it boils down..

The public's perception of Wrigley Field pre-1984: a broken down, cold, sterile, smelly ballpark on the verge of execution.

The public's perception of Wrigley Field post-1983: A BEAUTIFUL SHRINE, A BASEBALL MECCA, THE MOST PERFECT BUILDING EVER CREATED BY MAN. AND HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY NOT LOVE IT??

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Using Baseball Almanac's site (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=1980&t=CHN), I've narrowed the game I attended down to 3 mid-July games.

The attendance for the 3 games?

I guess the Cubs have just gotten really good in the last 25 years. I mean, there's no other possible explanation for why they're able to sell out the park year after year.

doublem23
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I grew up withink walking distance of Wrigley Field and there were plenty of times my friends and I would just walk to the games and land solid, lower deck seats, arriving at the park 10 minutes after the game started.

Could never get any Sox tickets growing up. :(:

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Maybe the were just up getting hot dogs or pissing in a trough? :dunno:

If it gets in the trough you are lucky, I thought they pissed in the sink, garbage can, or people's lawns.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Using Baseball Almanac's site (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=1980&t=CHN), I've narrowed the game I attended down to 3 mid-July games.

The attendance for the 3 games?

I guess the Cubs have just gotten really good in the last 25 years. I mean, there's no other possible explanation for why they're able to sell out the park year after year.

The two main factors (IMO) are

1. Gentrification of the area - The area was pretty seedy. The upturn in the economy in the 1980s brought new college graduates to Chicago and they flocked first to Lincoln Park and when priced out they moved north to "Wrigleyville" (which was Potterville - IAWL reference - pre 1980s). You had more people moving into the area and they had more disposable income as people in their 20s without families. Meanwhile the White Sox fan base were continuing their migration to the suburbs where the majority live today - 1/2 to 1 hour away from the park. The yuppies could walk, cab or take a train or bus to the park in less than 1/2 hour. They still didn't draw well during non summer day games (when the kids could come to the park) but night baseball helped their ticket sales as well.

2. Chicago Tribune / WGN bought the club. They're a major media presence and the top news paper and local station in Chicago. The Cubs were broadcast nationwide and those yuppies watched them in Iowa and Michigan and Ohio and Wisconsin before moving here. Harry Carey left for the Cubs at this time which added to their popularity. Meanwhile the White Sox were taking their team off of free TV and moving them to pay TV - one of several PR blunders by the Sunshine Boys.

They have been popular since 1984. I remember the upper deck closed as a child and most of the time I went to Sox games (opening day which is special in any park and I went with my friends to some cubs game but rooted against them) and there were more people at Comiskey.

Despite the media advantage the cubs hold I think the White Sox can reclaim Chicago with a World Series and sustained success. Once cub fans realize their team are medicore and Wrigley isn't "the in place" their gate revenue will slip. Their TV ratings have already slipped and I spoke with someone who works in the Cubs office and they told me a few years back they are concerned with their revenue decreasing on the TV side (since they took many games off of WGN) and that is why they have significantly increased their payroll the past few years. Lucky for us MacFail's plan hasn't worked well and now they are stuck with Dusty's veterans and a pitching staff with arm problems (caused partially by Dusty). It is going to take a few years for them to bounce back (hire a manager who will play and develop young players and hope their prospects pan out and Prior and Zambrano can stay healthy) and by that time we could be World Champions and regain our claim on this town.