PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur Wood Interview

Lip Man 1
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
He was almost traded to the Washington Senators. White Sox fans are grateful he wasnít. Wilbur Wood turned out to be one of the most dominating starting pitchers of the 1970's after he was one of the most dominating relief pitchers of the 1960's. To say thatís rare would be an understatement.

His story is now on the main page of White Sox Interactive. www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/)

Wilbur also has the distinction of being one of the few Sox players to have played a part on three memorable teams in franchise history... the clubs from 1967, 1972 and 1977. He talks about those years, how he became a starter and why, the near trade to Washington and how a Ron LeFlore line drive basically ended his brilliant career. Itís all there in the interview and a lot more.

I hope youíll enjoy reading it.

You can find the article on the main page of WSI right by Wilburís picture.

It should be an interesting week for the three time All Star. He made his career with the White Sox, but was born and raised and is now back in Massachusetts..the state of the Red Sox...the White Sox playoff opponent!

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
10-02-2005, 09:24 PM
He was almost traded to the Washington Senators. White Sox fans are grateful he wasnít. Wilbur Wood turned out to be one of the most dominating starting pitchers of the 1970's after he was one of the most dominating relief pitchers of the 1960's. To say thatís rare would be an understatement.

His story is now on the main page of White Sox Interactive. www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/)

Wilbur also has the distinction of being one of the few Sox players to have played a part on three memorable teams in franchise history... the clubs from 1967, 1972 and 1977. He talks about those years, how he became a starter and why, the near trade to Washington and how a Ron LeFlore line drive basically ended his brilliant career. Itís all there in the interview and a lot more.

I hope youíll enjoy reading it.

You can find the article on the main page of WSI right by Wilburís picture.

It should be an interesting week for the three time All Star. He made his career with the White Sox, but was born and raised and is now back in Massachusetts..the state of the Red Sox...the White Sox playoff opponent!

Lip

Thanks for the great interview Lip. When I turned 6 I watched a Wilber Wood game and cut out his baseball card out of the Chicago Sun Times with the rest of the Red Capped team. Growing up on the Northwest Side of Chicago almost all of my friends and most of my family (My Grandfather and Mother excepted) were stinking Cub fans but I followed the 1975 White Sox and have followed them as my favorite team ever since. I really enjoyed watching Wilbur Wood pitch as a youngster and it is a shame you don't see many Knuckleballers in the league (we'll see one on Friday) these days.

I think teams (the White Sox for instance) should take pitchers who are "washed up" in the minor leagues and convert them to knuckleball pitchers and see if we can get a couple useful starters out of "nothing" - not that we need starters now but I thought it would be a good long term idea.

Anyway I am glad I was able to watch the last few years of a great career. It was too bad his career was cut short. Charlie Hough was half way decent until his mid 40s and Wilber Wood was a much better pitcher.

Thanks again Lip for bringing one of my "original" White Sox players to our attention and for asking good questions (and the cool baseball cards - I have most of them).

Old days
Good times I remember
Fun days
Filled with simple pleasures
Drive-in movies
Comic books and blue jeans
Howdy Doody
Baseball cards and birthdays
Take me back
To the world gone away
Childhood Memories
Seem like yesterday

SoxFanSince67
10-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Very good and interesting article anout one of the colorful characters from Sox history. Any guess to what his weight was during the 1976 or 1977 years?