PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy David Whales doctoring the ball?

santo=dorf
10-02-2005, 06:52 PM
One former and one current member of the Yankees told Newsday that David Wells applies shaving cream to baseballs during games.
Jorge Posada said Wells has routinely lathered his forearms in shaving cream to apply it to baseballs during games. "On both arms," Posada said. "It gives him a little tackiness; helps him grip the ball. He uses resin and shaving cream, and it gives him a little stickiness." It doesn't sound like any Yankee is interested in reporting Wells. If he's still doing it now, then he surely did the same thing back when he played for the Bombers. Oct. 2 - 2:39 pm et
Source: Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spwells024451979oct02,0,5510904.story?coll=ny-sports-print)

Guillen should get into his head by having the ump check out his arms during game 2.

SluggersAway
10-02-2005, 07:02 PM
The real interesting thing is how Wells and his accuser both acknowledge that a ton of cheating is going on in the game. The widespread abuse of aphetamines being one of the most glaring and indisputable.

SOXPHILE
10-02-2005, 10:52 PM
The "cream" he applies could be just cream cheese, or whipped cream, or even Cheez Whiz. He's a big boy. Sometimes he gets hungry during those games....

RKMeibalane
10-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Honestly, I think it's gotten to the point where anyone and everyone who cheats- regardless of how they do it- should be banned from baseball for life. These guys are ruining the game of baseball, and the saddest part is that none of them really give a ****. For that, they deserve to have their careers taken from them.

HotelWhiteSox
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Honestly, I think it's gotten to the point where anyone and everyone who cheats- regardless of how they do it- should be banned from baseball for life. These guys are ruining the game of baseball, and the saddest part is that none of them really give a ****. For that, they deserve to have their careers taken from them.

I bet many of the pitchers do it though, especially if they can't bring the heat or for their breaking pitches, I see a lot of pitchers go to their mouth or detract attention by walking around. I know there's been question of the stuff on the back of Jenks hat.

And that's why some people don't take all this focus on steroids seriously. I get it in the focus of using steroids as something illegal and dangerous for kids (even though speed and amphetamines and other illegal drugs aren't as made as a big deal), but don't tell the people it's to rid baseball of cheating, because the game has cheating Congress wouldn't be able to think of and it wouldn't be able to define cheating. You may define it as anything that doesn't make it an even playing field, well how about how Minnesota used fans for their atbats or how opposing teams perform fake fire alarms on teams they can't beat. Corked bats are considered cheating, but there's also been plenty of the pitchers who scuff the ball, etc etc etc

(sorry if this post has horrible grammar, I'm in a hurry to finish my paper due tonight for an online class, but my internet browser is too distracting!)

samram
10-02-2005, 11:16 PM
It doesn't sound like any Yankee is interested in reporting Wells.

Well, then why the hell are they talking to the press about it? Posada didn't even ask for anonymity.

doublem23
10-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Baseball players have been cheating since 10 years before baseball was invented. :rolleyes: Don't be so reactionary.

Mr. White Sox
10-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Baseball players have been cheating since 10 years before baseball was invented. :rolleyes: Don't be so reactionary.

As a follow-up (not a rebuttal)

Check out this Todd Jones (http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/todd-jones/20050623.html) article. He is awesome.

Joosh
10-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Uh, this may be a little off-topic, but someone mentioned Jenk's hat. Isn't that Rosin?

milrtyme28
10-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Uh, this may be a little off-topic, but someone mentioned Jenk's hat. Isn't that Rosin?

I was actually curious about that myself - can someones palms really sweat enough to make the back of his cap look like it does? :?:

oeo
10-03-2005, 01:29 AM
It's possible, my palms are almost constantly sweating. Don't some guys put it on their hat so they don't have to keep going to the rosin bag? I doubt it's anything illegal, why would he put it where anyone could see it?

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2005, 02:03 AM
I was actually curious about that myself - can someones palms really sweat enough to make the back of his cap look like it does? :?:I'm not sure what sweaty palms would have to do with it. If he puts a lot of rosin on his hand (perfectly legal), the way he constantly grabs the back of his hat to tug it down tight would leave rosin all over the back. As obvious as it is, if anyone thought it was anything illegal they'd have been checking it by now.

DaleJRFan
10-03-2005, 11:28 AM
It's possible, my palms are almost constantly sweating. Don't some guys put it on their hat so they don't have to keep going to the rosin bag? I doubt it's anything illegal, why would he put it where anyone could see it?

El Duque does the same thing. Look at the back of his hat next time he's out there...

SOXSINCE'70
10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Baseball players have been cheating since 10 years before baseball was invented. :rolleyes:

Like Michael Jordan used to tell the critics who claimed he got away with
traveling far too often,"It ain't cheating if you don't get caught".

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Like Michael Jordan used to tell the critics who claimed he got away with
traveling far too often,"It ain't cheating if you don't get caught".I've always despised that saying. Yes, cheating is cheating, whether you get caught or not.

PatK
10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
LOL@ the line in the Todd Jones article:

"Was it cheating? My numbers say no, given that my career ERA at Coor's Field is 7.64 in 59 games"

Tekijawa
10-04-2005, 01:17 PM
LOL@ the line in the Todd Jones article:

"Was it cheating? My numbers say no, given that my career ERA at Coor's Field is 7.64 in 59 games"

I personally liked how he talked about guys boning their bats all day long and in broad day light... I heard of guys sleeping with their gloves, but I'm afraid to see how one "bones their bat all day long"!

SluggersAway
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
According to this story (http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=61426) (scroll to the end), Wells uses resin, a permissable drying agent, on his right forearm.

Francona is quoted as saying: "I check before (the umpires) can check, he's always (used resin)."

Very bizarre.

Soxfanspcu11
10-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I've always despised that saying. Yes, cheating is cheating, whether you get caught or not.

I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make here but I do disagree with what you actually said. How can cheating be considered cheating if your not caught? An example, why is shoplifting called shoplifting? Because that is the name that is given to a person who steals but is caught. If he walks out the door it's not called shoplifting because there is no one there to catch him and call him out on it.

I guess it's similar to the old "tree falling in the forest" philosophy. Again,I don't condone cheating, but it really can't be called cheating if no one is there to call you a cheater, without proof.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make here but I do disagree with what you actually said. How can cheating be considered cheating if your not caught? An example, why is shoplifting called shoplifting? Because that is the name that is given to a person who steals but is caught. If he walks out the door it's not called shoplifting because there is no one there to catch him and call him out on it.

I guess it's similar to the old "tree falling in the forest" philosophy. Again,I don't condone cheating, but it really can't be called cheating if no one is there to call you a cheater, without proof.I can't remember the last time I read anything that made less sense. I am what I am; I don't need someone to "call me out on it" to make me so.

A shoplifter is someone who steals from a shop. Nowhere does the definition require being caught. If you steal from a shop, you are a shoplifter regardless of whether anyone but you knows it. You may not have the label, but you are what you are.

By your logic, if you kill someone but don't get caught, you aren't a murderer. How stupid is that?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-07-2005, 12:24 AM

I guess it's similar to the old "tree falling in the forest" philosophy. Again,I don't condone cheating, but it really can't be called cheating if no one is there to call you a cheater, without proof.

Have you ever considered running for public office?

CLR01
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

WOW!

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:53 AM

I guess it's similar to the old "tree falling in the forest" philosophy. Again,I don't condone cheating, but it really can't be called cheating if no one is there to call you a cheater, without proof.Holy crap! What an interesting "philosophical" twist. This is perhaps the most inane thing I've ever read on this board. And that is really saying something. :o:

SOXintheBURGH
10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

WOW!

:gulp:

Gavin
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I can't remember the last time I read anything that made less sense. I am what I am; I don't need someone to "call me out on it" to make me so.

A shoplifter is someone who steals from a shop. Nowhere does the definition require being caught. If you steal from a shop, you are a shoplifter regardless of whether anyone but you knows it. You may not have the label, but you are what you are.

By your logic, if you kill someone but don't get caught, you aren't a murderer. How stupid is that?

For a professor your grasp of philosophical thought is minimal.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
For a professor your grasp of philosophical thought is minimal.You found that to be philosophically profound? Wow. I bow to your obvious intellectual superiority.

I'll tell you what. I promise not to teach any philosophy classes. How's that?

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 02:04 PM
For a professor your grasp of philosophical thought is minimal.For a whatever, your grasp of thought is minimal.

rookieroy
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Looks like this thread might be headed to the ****house.

Oh, btw....Jenks walks behind the mound..bounces the resin bag on the top and palm of his hand and immediately adjusts the back of his hat with his palm. Hence....big white spot on the back of his hat. He does this on average for every 2 batters. Love TIVO!

Go Sox! :smile:

SOXPHILE
10-07-2005, 03:40 PM

WOW!

O'DOYLE RULES !!!!