PDA

View Full Version : Bud flirts with perjury.


Daver
12-07-2001, 09:26 PM
As he sat in the Congress building and outright lied under oath.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2001/12/06/selig_testify_ap/

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2001, 09:32 PM
Anyone who believed those numbers is an idiot. Now I'm no law expert and I don't play one on this message board. If these numbers are proven to be inaccurate isn't he in some serious legal trouble? Such as jail time for lying under oath?

Daver
12-07-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Anyone who believed those numbers is an idiot. Now I'm no law expert and I don't play one on this message board. If these numbers are proven to be inaccurate isn't he in some serious legal trouble? Such as jail time for lying under oath?

Are you suggesting Bud do some time in the stripey hole?

It's too good for him.

Soxheads
12-07-2001, 09:34 PM
He didn't just flirt with perjury, he slept with it.

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
Are you suggesting Bud do some time in the stripey hole?

It's too good for him.

I was just asking if that could happen if/when the numbers are proven false.

Daver
12-07-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I was just asking if that could happen if/when the numbers are proven false.

There is no way TO prove them wrong,that is the problem.
Those books do not show the corporate payroll or the dividends paid to the CEO.

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
There is no way TO prove them wrong,that is the problem.
Those books do not show the corporate payroll or the dividends paid to the CEO.

Well I'm an idiot. I just find it funny how we know these numbers are not true but there is no way to prove it.

voodoochile
12-07-2001, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Well I'm an idiot. I just find it funny how we know these numbers are not true but there is no way to prove it.

Technically they are probably correct, but it is all a shell game. Like someone said yesterday, The parking revenue may not count toward ballclub money, but the owner gets it just the same. How many parking spaces do they sell when the club is out of town?

It's all corporate money shuffling. No, Sox Parking, Inc. Isn't part of White Sox, Inc. so the money doesn't show up on MLB books.

What I love is that the owners are crying poor poor me and then signing Giambi to a $120 million contract while 100's of billionaires and investment bankers line up to buy ball clubs.

Anyone see the Falcons just sold for $500 million and change? So, what is the worth of the Expos? $200 million if you can move the club?

Tragg
12-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Well I'm an idiot. I just find it funny how we know these numbers are not true but there is no way to prove it.

How can they possibly expect anyone to believe them when they refuse to release details.
Conyers summed up the omissions nicely: "The summary information they have turned over to us is meaningless in the absence of learning details concerning related party transactions, salaries and fees received by the owners and their families, and the impact of stadium acquisition loans by stadiums," he said. "In essence, what they have told us is, `We lose money, but we can't trust you with the details.'"

CubKilla
12-08-2001, 11:29 AM
This is step one in Bud Lite's "See How Much Our BB Owners Are Losing" saga. Step two, already under way, is Bud Lite trying to contract teams to shore up lost revenues. Bud seems to be laying the groundwork for the lock-out we all know is inevitable. But as 25 or so teams claim loses and use this as an excuse NOT to sign premier free agents, owners like Steinbrenner never seems to run out of money. And Yankee Stadium is almost NEVER filled to capacity during the regular season. Go figure.

Paulwny
12-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
And Yankee Stadium is almost NEVER filled to capacity during the regular season. Go figure.

King George blames lack of attendance on the poor condition of yankmee stadium. A new $400 mil playpen for him and a $400 mil playpen for the mets is in the works.
Paid by NY State tax payers of course.

czalgosz
12-08-2001, 12:42 PM
What's especially funny is how Selig threatened to sue the MLBPA if they publicly release their take on MLB's books. He's lucky that the chair of the committee he's sitting in front of is a rep. from Wisconsin.

czalgosz
12-08-2001, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny


King George blames lack of attendance on the poor condition of yankmee stadium. A new $400 mil playpen for him and a $400 mil playpen for the mets is in the works.
Paid by NY State tax payers of course.

LACK OF ATTENDANCE!?! The Yankees drew the third most fans of any MLB team (behind Seattle and San Francisco) last year, and they had the second-highest average ticket price (behind Boston). The Yankees made money hand over fist, despite having an obscene payroll.

Notice that nowhere in any of those columns does it mention "Executive Salary". It's super easy to hide profits by simply putting yourself on the payroll. It also makes a nifty tax dodge.

What a joke.

Paulwny
12-08-2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


LACK OF ATTENDANCE!?! The Yankees drew the third most fans of any MLB team (behind Seattle and San Francisco) last year, and they had the second-highest average ticket price (behind Boston). The Yankees made money hand over fist, despite having an obscene payroll.


Believe it or not, with the population of NYC, King George believes attendance should be higher and blames the stadium.

Dadawg_77
12-08-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Anyone who believed those numbers is an idiot. Now I'm no law expert and I don't play one on this message board. If these numbers are proven to be inaccurate isn't he in some serious legal trouble? Such as jail time for lying under oath?

Question is what is accurate. "Cooking" the books happens everyday of the week. Statements that corps release to the public are cooked, but its done in a legal manner thus the auditors/company execs could explain everything with some sort accounting method. What I love to see and what I would look at in companies I invest in, is thier cash flow statement. You can cook that to, but it is somewhat easier to breakdown. Profits and losses have little effect on a cash flow, a perfect company would report losses, but always increase its cash. Plus baseball teams have shadow revenue all over the place like voodo said.