PDA

View Full Version : Mike Piazza

TimoPerez
10-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I know there are some Mets fans here besides me. Today looks like it will be Mike's last day as a Met. This is a very sad day. I can't imagine a Met's lineup without Mike. I really hope he is back with the Mets next year, but if not, thank you for all of the memories Mike! Good luck!

santo=dorf
10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him as our DH next season if Frank doesn't come back.

RKMeibalane
10-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him as our DH next season if Frank doesn't come back.

I wouldn't, either. He'd be a nice addition to any lineup in the AL.

soxfan26
10-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Didn't Piazza talk about retirement at some point?

buehrle4cy05
10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Piazza will probably end up with a team like Baltimore, and then proceed to have a terrible season.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup with him and Griffey in it next season for the Sox.

TimoPerez
10-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Didn't Piazza talk about retirement at some point?

He said in a post game interview that he wants to play next year.

dickallen15
10-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Piazza is not the hitter he used to be. There are better options than him for a DH.

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Piazza will probably end up with a team like Baltimore, and then proceed to have a terrible season.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup with him and Griffey in it next season for the Sox.

Both Griffey and Piazza are too ouchy (injury prone)for me.
But that's just my opinion.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-02-2005, 05:32 PM
The Mets are my second favorite team (I became a fan in the late 1970s when I would cheer for them to beat out the cubs for last place in the NL East) and I too will miss Piazza but he can no longer catch and he can't play 1B so he needs to go to the AL or retire. I see a team giving him a couple of years. He is not a good fit for the White Sox as we already have a highly paid injury risk (Thomas) probably coming back next season and who knows what we will do with T Rex.

HotelWhiteSox
10-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I heard he will be in the booth for some of the playoff games

EDIT: For the ESPN games

TimoPerez
10-02-2005, 09:22 PM
The Mets are my second favorite team (I became a fan in the late 1970s when I would cheer for them to beat out the cubs for last place in the NL East) and I too will miss Piazza but he can no longer catch and he can't play 1B so he needs to go to the AL or retire. I see a team giving him a couple of years. He is not a good fit for the White Sox as we already have a highly paid injury risk (Thomas) probably coming back next season and who knows what we will do with T Rex.

He can catch very well. He is one of the best catchers in the game. It is the throwing that gives him trouble.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-02-2005, 09:43 PM
He can catch very well. He is one of the best catchers in the game. It is the throwing that gives him trouble.

Actually I was at the Mets games (5 in total - 2 in Milwaukee and 3 in Chicago). He singlehandedly cost them the final game of the Cubs game by letting balls go by and runners running at will. Plus between his finger and other assorted injuries accumulated during the year and his age he should have been a DH two seasons ago.

I like Piazza but either put the DH in the NL (like every other league from High School through College through all the Minor Leagues) or let him go to the AL. The Mets couldn't move him with his contract and injuries. I hope he has a couple good years to wrap up a first ballot hall of fame career.

Lets Go Mets!!!

TimoPerez
10-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Actually I was at the Mets games (5 in total - 2 in Milwaukee and 3 in Chicago). He singlehandedly cost them the final game of the Cubs game by letting balls go by and runners running at will. Plus between his finger and other assorted injuries accumulated during the year and his age he should have been a DH two seasons ago.

I like Piazza but either put the DH in the NL (like every other league from High School through College through all the Minor Leagues) or let him go to the AL. The Mets couldn't move him with his contract and injuries. I hope he has a couple good years to wrap up a first ballot hall of fame career.

Lets Go Mets!!!

He has fewer passed balls than the Molina brothers and Pudge Rodriguez. Blocking the ball isn't his problem. The occasional passed ball happens to the best of catchers. He has trouble throwing guys out. I would say that that is his only flaw as a catcher.

chitownhawkfan
10-03-2005, 01:45 AM
If he is so good at catching the ball he should have played first base.

TheOldRoman
10-03-2005, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't, either. He'd be a nice addition to any lineup in the AL.
Have you looked at his stats this year? Or last?
I like Piazza as a player, and he was the greatest offensive force ever behind the plate, but he is well past his prime. I don't think he could contribute close to what Carl has.

peeonwrigley
10-03-2005, 02:53 AM
An AL team will overpay to put him at DH. Its not a bad gamble IMO, but he'll end up getting more than he's worth.