PDA

View Full Version : Minnie Minoso

MINFAN1
10-02-2005, 10:30 AM
There is a good article in today`s tribune on one of our former Sox from year`s past. I come from a family of White Sox fans from as far back to when we won every thing in the early 1900`s. I grew up in the early 50`s, listening to Bob Elston on the radio broadcasting Sox games. Billy, Nellie, Chico and Minnie were the talk in our family. Back in the early 70`s my company transfered me to a small town near charlotte, North Carolina. Even though the Sox have a couple of minor leage teams there, which I watched play. I had to be satisfied watching the Sox play on Wgn from time, to time. Or waiting to see them on my visits back home. Most of the people down the are NASCAR, and only know the Cubs as the Loveable Losers, and the Sox as being a team that threw the series back in history somewhere. We had a small shopping Mall in town, and reading in the local papers one day, I seen where a former major leage player was to appear there. And it was Minnie. I took my grandson with me, he was about six at the time, and there he was (Minnie) all alone except for some traveling people with him in the middle of that small mall. Needless to say I got to spend some quality time with one of my greatest childhood heros,talking Sox baseball about Billy, Nellie and the boys. I have got to say, he was one of the most down to earth, respectful persons I have ever talked to. Minnie considers anyone his friend. And I was proud to bring that picture of Minnie, my Grandson and me back to show my Father, a great Sox fan who was at the time dying of cancer.

TornLabrum
10-02-2005, 12:25 PM
There is a good article in today`s tribune on one of our former Sox from year`s past. I come from a family of White Sox fans from as far back to when we won every thing in the early 1900`s. I grew up in the early 50`s, listening to Bob Elston on the radio broadcasting Sox games. Billy, Nellie, Chico and Minnie were the talk in our family. Back in the early 70`s my company transfered me to a small town near charlotte, North Carolina. Even though the Sox have a couple of minor leage teams there, which I watched play. I had to be satisfied watching the Sox play on Wgn from time, to time. Or waiting to see them on my visits back home. Most of the people down the are NASCAR, and only know the Cubs as the Loveable Losers, and the Sox as being a team that threw the series back in history somewhere. We had a small shopping Mall in town, and reading in the local papers one day, I seen where a former major leage player was to appear there. And it was Minnie. I took my grandson with me, he was about six at the time, and there he was (Minnie) all alone except for some traveling people with him in the middle of that small mall. Needless to say I got to spend some quality time with one of my greatest childhood heros,talking Sox baseball about Billy, Nellie and the boys. I have got to say, he was one of the most down to earth, respectful persons I have ever talked to. Minnie considers anyone his friend. And I was proud to bring that picture of Minnie, my Grandson and me back to show my Father, a great Sox fan who was at the time dying of cancer.

Sounds like I started listening to and watching games just a few years after you did. My childhood heroes were Minnie, Nellie Fox, and Billy Pierce. In July I had the honor of sitting next to Billy Pierce at a table at a Windy City Sox Fans luncheon, and just a week ago yesterday I sat across the table from Minnie. Both are great guys.