PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the NL pennant?

gogosox675
10-01-2005, 10:07 PM
So who do you think wins the NL pennant? Atlanta, St. Louis, San Diego, or the wild card team?

Ol' No. 2
10-01-2005, 10:10 PM
So who do you think wins the NL pennant? Atlanta, St. Louis, San Diego, or the wild card team?Anything can happen, but you'd have to be nuts not to pick the Cardinals.

HotelWhiteSox
10-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I think I would fear Houston because of their pitching.

The Braves never seem to get over the hump, and even though it worked in the season, all those rookies and uneasy starting pitching imo. It'd be funny if the Padres could make something happen, they have decent pitching, and they could be taken lightly?

OEO Magglio
10-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Astros.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Ummm St. Louis' pitching isn't to shabby either.

Lip

NWSox
10-02-2005, 12:05 AM
I think it's very popular to go against the Cardinals, especially by picking the Astros. But I think the Cards are easily the best team in the NL and should win without difficulty.

Tragg
10-02-2005, 12:06 AM
St Louis in a walk.
They have a WS chance this year because their pitching is better than it was.

JB98
10-02-2005, 12:44 AM
St Louis in a walk.
They have a WS chance this year because their pitching is better than it was.

Not to mention, Houston has had a terrible time winning at Busch Stadium this year, despite the events of this week. The Cardinals will be ready when it matters most. I expect St. Louis to prevail.

Murphy10
10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
St. Louis, Astors barely beat out the phils even though you have to give them some credit to that (especialy JR).

PAPChiSox729
10-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I really don't see a reason to pick against the Cards. They should handle SD pretty easily. I think the Braves or Astros may be a little tough on them, but it is something the Cards can overcome.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I'd like to see the Cardinals win it, but I don't really care. Whoever comes out of the NL is going to get beaten by our guys.

beckett21
10-03-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm going to go with the Astros, against my better judgment.

NonetheLoaiza
10-03-2005, 10:41 PM
No way SD beats the Cardinals. I don't see the Braves advancing past the Astros, but even if they do, they won't be able to make it to the World Series. The Astros have the best chance at beating the Cards, but I just don't see it happening. Theoretically, it should be a cakewalk for the Cardinals, the way they performed this season.

Banix12
10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't like the Astros offense and I don't like the Braves Bullpen. Whichever team wins the Padres-Cardinals series will win the NL pennant (likely the cardinals).

I'm not totally discounting the Padres since I like their bullpen better than any of the other NL teams, if they can muster any starting pitching other than Peavy they can win, however Pedro Astacio hardly fills me with hope that that will happen.

Whoever wins in the NL gets destroyed by the AL, I don't see one team better than any of the four AL teams.

MRKARNO
10-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Astros, Cardinals, Astros, Cardinals....

What about the winner of the only division in recent memory in which every team finished .500 or better, the Atlanta Braves?

Smoltz, Hudson, Sosa...not a bad front three. The offense is pretty solid with Jones, Jones, Francouer, Furcal and Giles. They are a solid team overall. They don't blow you away with any one aspect, but there is no reason why they cannot advance to the World Series. They finished with the second best record in the NL and they played in a tough, tough division, so why not? I cannot see why they are being entirely left out of this picture here. I'm sure recent memory has something to do with it, but I would never doubt any team come playoff time because of recent history. This year's Braves are much different than even last year's version, and far different from the '03 version. If anything can happen in the playoffs, then surely the Atlanta Braves could come out of the National League.

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm going to say the Padres because nobody would expect them.

Mr. White Sox
10-04-2005, 12:11 AM
White Sox in 5 / Angels in 4

Braves in 5 / Cardinals in 3

White Sox in 6 :)
Cardinals in 4

White sox in 7 :)

Jjav829
10-04-2005, 08:09 AM
The Cards have to be the favorite right now. That doesn't necessarily mean they will win, but on paper they have the best team in baseball. Their pithing, while not as good as the Astros, is still very good, though you have to wonder if Carpenter is getting tired. He hasn't been very good in his last three starts.

I think if the Padres are going to win a game in this series it will happen today. With Peavy pitching against a possibly tired Carpenter, this is probably the best chance for the Padres. Then again, Carpenter could come out and look like the best pitcher in baseball again as he did for the first 5 1/2 months.

samram
10-04-2005, 09:00 AM
The Cards have to be the favorite right now. That doesn't necessarily mean they will win, but on paper they have the best team in baseball. Their pithing, while not as good as the Astros, is still very good, though you have to wonder if Carpenter is getting tired. He hasn't been very good in his last three starts.

I think if the Padres are going to win a game in this series it will happen today. With Peavy pitching against a possibly tired Carpenter, this is probably the best chance for the Padres. Then again, Carpenter could come out and look like the best pitcher in baseball again as he did for the first 5 1/2 months.

I agree with you that the Cards are the favorite, but I think that Peavy has the potential to be like Beckett in 2003 and dominate the playoffs. If they can find one other guy, maybe Eaton, to pitch well, they could give the Cardinals a real hard time in advancing.

samram
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I agree with you that the Cards are the favorite, but I think that Peavy has the potential to be like Beckett in 2003 and dominate the playoffs. If they can find one other guy, maybe Eaton, to pitch well, they could give the Cardinals a real hard time in advancing.

Or not.:redface:

Tragg
10-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Cardinals in a hand ride. They'll sweep the padres and may lose 1 in round 2. In contrast to last year, they have a legit chance to win the WS - they have better pitching than last year.

antitwins13
10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:kfwmVrz4U-cJ:www.signaturetumblers.com/images/MLB/MLB_San_Diego_Padres.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.signaturetumblers.com/images/MLB/MLB_San_Diego_Padres.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.signaturetumblers.com/MLB_Pro_Baseball_Teams.cfm&h=220&w=280&sz=24&tbnid=kfwmVrz4U-cJ:&tbnh=85&tbnw=109&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPadres%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D )

swanson24
10-09-2005, 02:38 PM
The St. Louis Cardinals seem to have the best team in the National League and the the team playing to the best of their ability to throughout the long season. The playoffs so far have appeared to show no change in the mighty Cardinals. Reggie Sanders seems to be on fire along with Pujols, Eckstein and Edmonds. They have gotten strong performances out of their starters and the only apparent weakness has been Jason Isringhausen but the way they are playing they could have other guys from their bullpen switched around and have the starters work deeper into games. I don't see how this Cardinals team gets knocked out off the National League Championship Series.