PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article: Iguchi's Earned Respect of His Peers

Unregistered
10-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Solid fluff piece from ESPN on our own Tad.

Interesting tidbits:
As the Cleveland Indians discovered Saturday, Iguchi is also capable of some very big things. With the Indians still close enough to sniff a wild-card berth, Iguchi hit a three-run homer off Jake Westbrook in the seventh inning, and Chicago won 4-3 to send yet another Jacobs Field sellout crowd home disappointed and put Cleveland on the precipice of elimination.

For Iguchi, the home run was a bit of a statement in response to the events of Thursday night. When Guillen decided that Iguchi needed a rest and chose to start Willie Harris at second base in Chicago's 4-2, AL Central title-clinching victory over Detroit, Iguchi sat on the bench and stewed.

"I was playing the whole year," Iguchi said through his interpreter, McGuire. "To be on the bench when we clinched, I was not happy."

With his humble, self-effacing persona, Iguchi has fit nicely into the loose clubhouse atmosphere cultivated by Guillen. After making three errors in a loss to Texas in late August, he walked into the clubhouse and found a frying pan taped to his glove and hanging in his locker stall. Iguchi took the zinger in stride and laughed along with everybody else.

With a year of major-league experience behind him and the confidence to let it fly, Iguchi has some definitive goals in mind for 2006. "Next year, I'm going to try and hit with more power and hit 20-30," he said. That should make it a no-brainer for the White Sox to pick up his $3.25 million option for 2007. :o: :smile:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2178301

MUsoxfan
10-01-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't know if I want him to be more of a power hitter. He's a great contact/purpose hitter. But I'm gonna hold my bitching until November:cool:

HotelWhiteSox
10-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I didn't know he had a website (never thought about looking)

He's got some cool pics of Chicago and game photos in the gallery

http://www.tadahito-iguchi.com/

RKMeibalane
10-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I said this earlier in the year, and I stand by it: Iguchi is going to something special before this season is over. I don't know exactly what it is, but I have the feeling he's going to do something that people will talk about for years to come. Just watch.

MRKARNO
10-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Iguchi is not best used as a two-hitter. He is a power hitter through and through. It seems when he doesnt have to worry about Podsednik or anyone else on the basepaths, he hits a lot better. His addtional duties became a distraction and he struck out a lot more than I think he would have otherwise. His 15 HRs were nearly all to right or center field. If he gets the chance to pull the baseball, I think we'd see 25-30 HRs from him. Hitting the ball 417 feet to center, as he did today, requires a lot of power. He's got the 25-30 HR power.

DaleJRFan
10-01-2005, 10:18 PM
hey, his web site is pretty cool. I like the Chicago photos... especially of Blue Chicago, HoB, the Taste... I'm glad he is having a good experience in Chicago.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-01-2005, 10:25 PM

Boy, seeing that website again really brought back some good memories...

Back in January, I had heard the rumors about the Sox pursuing this Japanese All-Star named Tadahito Iguchi. I spent hours online soaking up everything I could find about him, from his stats with the Fukuoka-Daiei Hawks to the latest news on the contract offer. In the process, I not only found his personal website, but a few Google-search pages later I stumbled upon something called a "Mega-thread" on a site known as "White Sox Interactive." 1,300 posts later, the rest is history, and I'm celebrating a division championship with my WSI brethren!

Needless to say, even if he'd never driven in a single run for the Sox, Iguchi would have always held a place of honor for me.

DaleJRFan
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM

What I want to know is, what the heck is this:
www.sporsic.com (http://www.sporsic.com)

Sounds like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai... but what did Igushi have to do with it??

Unregistered
10-01-2005, 10:31 PM

Sounds like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai... but what did Igushi have to do with it??
I remember someone finding this site in the offseason - and I think someone figured it out, but I forget the answer - try searching in the archives...

BTW, this never stops being hilarious:
http://www.sporsic.com/prof_ph.jpg
http://www.sporsic.com/Top_pre_header.jpg

munchman33
10-01-2005, 10:45 PM

I believe that is him singing.

DaleJRFan
10-01-2005, 10:48 PM
I believe that is him singing.

I didn't hear any singing. I'll listen again. It lists him as "Producer" which could mean anything. If you are stadning in the control room sipping tea, you can take a "Producer" credit. We all know that the engineer does all the work anyway.

Regardless, Iguchi has been instrumental in the White Sox success this year. Without him, we'd either be watching Wee Willie at 2B or would have pulled Roberto Alomar out of retirement by now. Thank God Iguchi is here for another 2 years.

Ol' No. 2
10-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Iguchi is not best used as a two-hitter. He is a power hitter through and through. It seems when he doesnt have to worry about Podsednik or anyone else on the basepaths, he hits a lot better. His addtional duties became a distraction and he struck out a lot more than I think he would have otherwise. His 15 HRs were nearly all to right or center field. If he gets the chance to pull the baseball, I think we'd see 25-30 HRs from him. Hitting the ball 417 feet to center, as he did today, requires a lot of power. He's got the 25-30 HR power.I'm sure he'd hit for higher average, more home runs, etc. etc. if he wasn't hitting second. But the point isn't to do what's best for Tadahito Iguchi. The point is to do what's best for the team. No one currently on the team is anywhere close to the #2 hitter he is. Moving him would hurt the team overall.

MRKARNO
10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Moving him would hurt the team overall.

I would have to dissagree. We could use another bona fide power hitter in the meat of the order. We should be putting him in situations where we get the best out of him and I don't think his being in the two spot fit that bill.

Ol' No. 2
10-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I would have to dissagree. We could use another bona fide power hitter in the meat of the order.They need a bona fide #2 hitter more. Moving runners into scoring position is the essential part of this offense, and nobody does it better than Iguchi. They can always get another power hitter elsewhere, but good #2 hitters are scarce.

Optipessimism
10-01-2005, 11:45 PM
They need a bona fide #2 hitter more. Moving runners into scoring position is the essential part of this offense, and nobody does it better than Iguchi. They can always get another power hitter elsewhere, but good #2 hitters are scarce.

That's why if Paulie walks I'd like to see a strong push for Furcal. He alone could move Uribe to 3rd making Crede a UT guy and solidify the 2 spot in the order. I know this should all be in deep pink, but if KW could find a way to land a LH bat like Huff or Delgado via trade to play 1B, we could have a lethal 1-4 with Iguchi moving into the 3 spot. Plus, imagine all the speed of a Pods-Furcal-Iguchi top 3? We'd wreak havoc on the mind of whoever is out there pitching, especially if it is a younger pitcher.

TornLabrum
10-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I would have to dissagree. We could use another bona fide power hitter in the meat of the order. We should be putting him in situations where we get the best out of him and I don't think his being in the two spot fit that bill.

Right now a big complaint is that we don't have a bona fide #3 hitter in the lineup. We actually do, but he's our #2 hitter. I still think Rowand could be a decent #2.

HotelWhiteSox
10-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Maybe next ST or this last game, I'd also like to see Tad hit 3rd. I might like to see Everett with a shot as a #2 hitter, before his horrible slump, he was a real good two strike hitter, and he claims he worrys more about putting the bat on the ball rather than the long ball.

So with this, it'd be something like (I guess people after PK can be flipped):

Pods
Everett
Iguchi
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Just my $.02

Optipessimism
10-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Maybe next ST or this last game, I'd also like to see Tad hit 3rd. I might like to see Everett with a shot as a #2 hitter, before his horrible slump, he was a real good two strike hitter, and he claims he worrys more about putting the bat on the ball rather than the long ball.

So with this, it'd be something like (I guess people after PK can be flipped):

Pods
Everett
Iguchi
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Just my $.02

I like the idea of trying Tahadito in the 3 hole next year but IMO AJ has no buisness hitting 5th in a lineup unless you are A) the Pirates or B) the Royals. He's only there because he's LH.

gobears1987
10-02-2005, 12:28 AM
That's why if Paulie walks I'd like to see a strong push for Furcal. He alone could move Uribe to 3rd making Crede a UT guy and solidify the 2 spot in the order. I know this should all be in deep pink, but if KW could find a way to land a LH bat like Huff or Delgado via trade to play 1B, we could have a lethal 1-4 with Iguchi moving into the 3 spot. Plus, imagine all the speed of a Pods-Furcal-Iguchi top 3? We'd wreak havoc on the mind of whoever is out there pitching, especially if it is a younger pitcher.

We have a #3 hitter who really wants to be here next year, his name is FRANK THOMAS. (He will be back, he wants #500 in a Sox uniform)
Please everyone, stop saying we need Gooch at #3. We have the best 3 hitter in baseball on our team. He will be here next year, no pink neccessary.

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Rowand is not even close to his 2004 form hitting wise. I think he hit in the 2 spot for the most part last year. I would not mind if the two flip flopped in the batting order.

JB98
10-02-2005, 12:48 AM
We have a #3 hitter who really wants to be here next year, his name is FRANK THOMAS. (He will be back, he wants #500 in a Sox uniform)
Please everyone, stop saying we need Gooch at #3. We have the best 3 hitter in baseball on our team. He will be here next year, no pink neccessary.

When Frank is healthy, sure, he's still a helluva force. However, if you are KW, you cannot count on Frank to give you 140 games at DH next season. Frank wasn't healthy last year. He isn't healthy this year. Forgive me, but I'm skeptical that he'll be healthy next year. KW needs to have a solid 'Plan B' in place if the Sox decide to retain Frank. You don't want to build your offense around a man who has had three serious injuries in the last five years.

I appreciate all that Frank has done for this organization, but we have to be realistic about his future. Who knows if he can make it back at all?

JB98
10-02-2005, 12:51 AM

What do we need Furcal for? We already have a leadoff hitter, and we already have a shortstop. Our middle of the order is already weak. If Paulie walks, then we've got to find a clean-up hitter, as well as a No. 3 hitter. Furcal certainly doesn't fill either of those holes.

TaylorStSox
10-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Iguchi is not best used as a two-hitter. He is a power hitter through and through. It seems when he doesnt have to worry about Podsednik or anyone else on the basepaths, he hits a lot better. His addtional duties became a distraction and he struck out a lot more than I think he would have otherwise. His 15 HRs were nearly all to right or center field. If he gets the chance to pull the baseball, I think we'd see 25-30 HRs from him. Hitting the ball 417 feet to center, as he did today, requires a lot of power. He's got the 25-30 HR power.

You want to waste our best situational hitter for 10 HR's? I thought we already learned that an abundance of power hitters won't get us anywhere.

Who's going to take the 2 hole? Rowand? Jesus, I hope not.

DrCrawdad
10-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Boy, seeing that website again really brought back some good memories...

Back in January, I had heard the rumors about the Sox pursuing this Japanese All-Star named Tadahito Iguchi. I spent hours online soaking up everything I could find about him, from his stats with the Fukuoka-Daiei Hawks to the latest news on the contract offer. In the process, I not only found his personal website, but a few Google-search pages later I stumbled upon something called a "Mega-thread" on a site known as "White Sox Interactive." 1,300 posts later, the rest is history, and I'm celebrating a division championship with my WSI brethren!

Needless to say, even if he'd never driven in a single run for the Sox, Iguchi would have always held a place of honor for me.

If I may pat myself on the back (and hey if you can't touch yourself in a loving way...).

Way back when, Hangar, a few others and I were outfront advocating the Sox signing Iguchi.

http://www.creativethink.com/whack_images/64-s-giveyour-fw.gif

DrCrawdad
10-02-2005, 08:01 AM
I said this earlier in the year, and I stand by it: Iguchi is going to something special before this season is over. I don't know exactly what it is, but I have the feeling he's going to do something that people will talk about for years to come. Just watch.

Iguchi's not planning to blow himself up, is he? :)

No, just kidding. I know what you're talking about. Just as he hit a big HR yesterday, I fully expect Iguchi to step up in the post-season, not that he hasn't already. I just think Iguchi will come through in the clutch for the Sox in the post-season.