TommyJohn
10-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I know it happened in Detroit, but I consider last night's 3-2 win the real
clincher. It meant the Indians would not even tie, which is much larger
than people realize. If the Sox had wound up tied at the end, it would mean
that Cleveland did indeed catch the White Sox, who did indeed blow their
big lead. Don't think the media wouldn't relish that. We would also see columns
saying "A.L. Central Division Champions*". But now we don't have to, thanks
to the Sox getting it done in Cleveland and the "best team in baseball right now"
(how many times did you read that?) pooping out. And so I say, after all the
stress, strain and worry that drove me to the brink of giving up:

Chicago White Sox- 2005 A.L. CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

MarySwiss
10-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I know it happened in Detroit, but I consider last night's 3-2 win the real
clincher. It meant the Indians would not even tie, which is much larger
than people realize. If the Sox had wound up tied at the end, it would mean
that Cleveland did indeed catch the White Sox, who did indeed blow their
big lead. Don't think the media wouldn't relish that. We would also see columns
saying "A.L. Central Division Champions*". But now we don't have to, thanks
to the Sox getting it done in Cleveland and the "best team in baseball right now"
(how many times did you read that?) pooping out. And so I say, after all the
stress, strain and worry that drove me to the brink of giving up:

Chicago White Sox- 2005 A.L. CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

Very true. Although I still have no doubt whatsoever that after we win the deciding game of the 2005 World Series (aka Game Four), at least one---and probably more than one--mediot will start his or her broadcast/column/blog with something like this:

"After choking away a HUGE lead, the Chicago White Sox somehow managed to luck into becoming the 2005 Champs. Their success is no doubt due in large part to the fact that they play in the weak AL Central and thus don't have to face the intense level of competition that exists between the two most "storied" franchises ever to play the game--the Boston Red Sox and the New York (sing hallelujah!) Yankees."

And ya know what? That works for me!

Daver
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Very true. Although I still have no doubt whatsoever that after we win the deciding game of the 2005 World Series (aka Game Four), at least one---and probably more than one--mediot will start his or her broadcast/column/blog with something like this:

"After choking away a HUGE lead, the Chicago White Sox somehow managed to luck into becoming the 2005 Champs. Their success is no doubt due in large part to the fact that they play in the weak AL Central and thus don't have to face the intense level of competition that exists between the two most "storied" franchises ever to play the game--the Boston Red Sox and the New York (sing hallelujah!) Yankees."

And they would still be dead wrong.

To win at a 75% clip for an entire season is very diffucult, but winning early and building a large lead protects you from the inevitable rough spot in the season schedule, so that when Spetember comes and the races all start to come down to the wire, you are still the chasee, not the chaser.

The Sox never choked, they faced those that challenged the top spot and prevailed, because they concentrated on winning from day one.

The Wimperoo
10-01-2005, 06:43 PM
The Indians are the chokers. Dropping 5 out of 6 in the final week of the season and in the Wild Card lead. Now they most likely won't even make the playoffs. Sure looks like a choke to me.

MarySwiss
10-01-2005, 06:43 PM
To win at a 75% clip for an entire season is very diffucult, but winning early and building a large lead protects you from the inevitable rough spot in the season schedule, so that when Spetember comes and the races all start to come down to the wire, you are still the chasee, not the chaser.
The Sox never choked, they faced those that challenged the top spot and prevailed, because they concentrated on winning from day one.

Yup. But I'd still bet the Sox would not get the credit they deserve, no matter what they do. They could win the ALDS 3-0, the ALCS 4-0, and the World Series 4-0--with all 11 games being no-hitters--and they'd still get no respect.

Except from those who really matter--their fans. So here's to us! :gulp:

TommyJohn
10-01-2005, 06:46 PM

You're right. They can't fulfill their dreams of writing about the most historic
collapse in the history of ever (one that tops even the Roman Empire,
presumably) all we'll see are stories about how they "ALMOST choked away
their lead, and ALMOST didn't make it, and ALMOST went down as the
biggest chokers of all time." They'll get no respect even if they go far in the
postseason. Well, guess what? It's as I wrote in another thread: Almost
only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and the 1969 Cubs.

TommyJohn
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Very well written. I mean it. I would strongly encourage you to get a job in
the Chicago media, but your severe handicap puts you at a disadvantage.
You have a brain.

So how come none of the dopes in the Chicago media can put it like that?
Could it be that they were so giddy and excited at the thought of the
Sox losing the division that they never thought of it that way? Nah.

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
The Indians are the chokers. Dropping 5 out of 6 in the final week of the season and in the Wild Card lead. Now they most likely won't even make the playoffs. Sure looks like a choke to me.

They may be wilting.2 weeks ago,when the Sox played the Tribe at home
and lost 2 of 3,the Cub-Une (SURPRISE!) ran articles from the Tribe's
beat writers.One of these asswipes,Bud Shaw by name,called this team
the "White Knucklers" and practically handed the division to the Tribe.
Hey,Shaw,whose knuckles are white now?!?!? Your Tribe has to win
1 stinkin' game to force a playoff with the Blow Sawx,providing the
Yankmees don't win the series on Sunday,IIRC.The Sox have played
poorly at times,yes, but expecting this team to win 110-120 games is unrealistic.You will have periods in the season when you can't seem to do much right.For the Sox,that period was the middle of August through September.Winning 3 of 4 from the Twinks,splitting 4 in Motown and now winning yet another series at The Jake proves this team has righted the ship
and may be more playoff ready than many Sox teams of the past.

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades
and the 1969 Cubs.

Also: the '84 sCrUBS,the '89 sCrUBS,the 2003 sCrUBs,the 2004
sCrUBS and the 2005 sCrUBS. :roflmao: :roflmao:

jabrch
10-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I know it happened in Detroit, but I consider last night's 3-2 win the real clincher.

Well heck - there is someone out there who subscribes to the BP style of thinking...

No sir...We clinched the division when we won vs Detroit and a team with a worse record could no longer get a better record than we did. The media could bitch all they want if we tied for the division. The MLB record books would tell you clearly who was the Division Champion and who was the Wild Card.

jabrch
10-01-2005, 08:26 PM
They could win the ALDS 3-0, the ALCS 4-0, and the World Series 4-0--with all 11 games being no-hitters--and they'd still get no respect.

Except from those who really matter--their fans. So here's to us! :gulp:

EXACTLY - I wouldn't give a rats ass what the media, the Cubs fans, the Yanks fans, BP, ESPN, or anyone else thought. Get us that World Series...

SoxFanSince67
10-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Who heard the Fox announcers today when talking about the post season were hopeful America would be able to see how really good the Indians are...not one mention of the White Sox.

tifosiv122
10-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Not that it matters, but we are 5 games up on the Indians in the Central...we didn't just win by a mistake or chance...we took it.

Erik

jabrch
10-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Who heard the Fox announcers today when talking about the post season were hopeful America would be able to see how really good the Indians are...not one mention of the White Sox.

They will get their way...The Sox beat the Indians like a drum all season. That's EXACTLY how good they are. Their pen sucks. Their starters are mediocre. Their defense is ok. They can hit...but that alone is not enough.

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2005, 08:49 PM

The Sox are going to have to make some noise in the postseason
to even begin to earn some form of national respect.And I know
i'm not the only board member who believes this.When their last
WS appearance is going on 46 years,it's kind of hard to say you
are concerned about playing the Sox in the ALDS.But soon,hopefully,
the naysayers will be forced to eat their words as the Sox have a
long,joyous postseason. :cool:

Brian26
10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Well heck - there is someone out there who subscribes to the BP style of thinking...

No sir...We clinched the division when we won vs Detroit and a team with a worse record could no longer get a better record than we did. The media could bitch all they want if we tied for the division. The MLB record books would tell you clearly who was the Division Champion and who was the Wild Card.

Gospel. We clinched on Thursday. End of story. The rules are the rules. Even if the Jndians won their last 3 games of the season and had an identical record as us, we win based on the MLB rule about the season-series tie-breaker. We played a best 10 of 19 series with them all year, and we clinched that a LONG time ago.

A. Cavatica
10-01-2005, 09:03 PM
I only count clinchers when Joe Crede isn't in the lineup.

TommyJohn
10-02-2005, 11:46 AM

No, sorry. I'm not a BPer, never have been. All I know of them is what I read
here. I was subscribing to the Chicago media style of thinking, which is-
whenever you get a chance to take a sarcastic cheap shot at the White Sox,
take it. I believe that if the Sox and Indians tied at 96-66, the Sox would
be bashed by the media (and BP too, from what you said) for not winning a
"true" title. I was happy that they clinched in Detroit, and I was also happy
once we were assured that the standings would at least read "GB 1" for
Cleveland. Of course, it now reads "GB 5" for the team the Chicago media
anointed "The Best Team In Baseball Right Now."