PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Cubs give Dempster 3 years/$15.5 Million

knocko94
10-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I think this is a ton of money for Dempster. I like what he's done as the closer for the Cubs, but damn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2177957

hose
10-01-2005, 04:05 PM
I think it's a good move by Hendry.

Dempster has solidified the closer role for the Cubs this year.

Gas Can Howry is a free agent next year , I'm sure he'll get a good contract.

munchman33
10-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Dempster just had his first healthy season in years. So they gave him three year deal for big money.

Good move by the Cubs.

TDog
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Considering how quickly good closers can go very, very bad, Dempster could collecting Cubs money long after he's stopped wearing a Cubs uniform. Not that he would be alone.

santo=dorf
10-01-2005, 05:58 PM
How did those contracts for Latroy Hawkins and Mike Remlinger work out for you Hendry?

$15.5 million for 4 good months of service......damn I wish I was in the MLB.

A_ROW33
10-01-2005, 06:06 PM
What about Carrie Wood's bullpen dominance :o:

Daver
10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
:whocares

antitwins13
10-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Crap! Now we can't sign him to replace Jenks next year.

JorgeFabregas
10-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Considering how quickly good closers can go very, very bad, Dempster could collecting Cubs money long after he's stopped wearing a Cubs uniform. Not that he would be alone.

Yup, closers specifically and bullpen guys are crapshoots. Look at all the Sox closers who've had success and then had poor seasons shortly thereafter. In fact, all of the recent White Sox closers that I can think of fit this profile (even if the good or bad season(s) have not always been with the Sox).

Players want some security. A three-year contract sounds like a good compromise between the two parties.

PatK
10-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Dempster has done pretty well for them, but if Carrie Would has to go to the pen next year, that's tying up over 10 million for two bullpen pitchers with surgically repaired arms.

Foulke You
10-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Yep, I have a feeling that is exactly what's going to happen. Dan Kolb comes to mind among others. Don't get me started on getting locked in for 2 years of Billy Koch at big money too. Way too much money and way too many years for Ryan Dempster. I'll be laughing when Dempster has blown his 8th save next year and/or gets injured again and the Cubs begin yet another quest for a closer.