PDA

View Full Version : Best record in baseball still in sight

MRKARNO
10-01-2005, 01:11 PM
The Cards are at 98-62. We're now at 97-63. How great would it be if we could tie them at the very least for the best record in baseball? Seeing that we have nothing else to play for really, we might as well keep this in the back of our minds. We can't win 100, but we still can acheive this distinction.

nasox
10-01-2005, 04:42 PM
it means nothing, although if Selig got his head out of his ass, it would mean something, but as of now, it means nothing. meh

ilsox7
10-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Don't care. You rest the entire bullpen tomorrow.

munchman33
10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
it means nothing, although if Selig got his head out of his ass, it would mean something, but as of now, it means nothing. meh

Unless you're gonna have every team play all the teams in both leagues and the same amount of games, home field advantage being determined by records made in a different league is just as foolish, if not more so, than having the all-star game determine it. Especially now, when it's glaringly obvious that the talent level in the National league is simply subpar when considering the American league.

A better idea is letting overall interleague records determine it.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2005, 04:52 PM
U...it's glaringly obvious that the talent level in the National league is simply subpar when considering the American league.

Yep. To paraphrase the great Dick Allen, "The National League is the ***** league of baseball."

And that makes Tony LaRussa the ultimate ***** in MLB.

:cool:

Fuller_Schettman
10-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Aren't we currently at our high water mark for the year at 35+ .500?

So for all of this pissing and moaning about choking, we have played .500 ball since August 1. Granted we have not burned it up, but we are far from choking or stinking, that much is certain...

What is our lead now, 5 games heading towards 6...

MRKARNO
10-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Aren't we currently at our high water mark for the year at 35+ .500?

So for all of this pissing and moaning about choking, we have played .500 ball since August 1. Granted we have not burned it up, but we are far from choking or stinking, that much is certain...

What is our lead now, 5 games heading towards 6...

And we're 18-12 since September 1st. Apparently, the choke is on the doom and gloomers who predicted a collapse.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
And we're 18-12 since September 1st. Apparently, the choke is on the doom and gloomers who predicted a collapse.

Hey, no wonder the Indians looked so good in August and early September. They weren't playing the Sox.

Daver
10-01-2005, 05:33 PM
A better idea is letting overall interleague records determine it.

I think they should have a dwarf tossing competition to determine it.

:)

SoxSpeed22
10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Don't need it. Look how far the Braves got, considering how many times they had the best record in baseball. I would much rather win a World Series than go 162-0 and not win.

tstrike2000
10-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey, no wonder the Indians looked so good in August and early September. They weren't playing the Sox.

That is very true. With the exception of 9/21 game, we've won or were in every other game.

RedPinStripes
10-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm more concerned with winning 11 games after the regular season. I've seen 4 division titles in my time and never a series win. I really think they can do it this time. Regular season means nothing after the division race is over. It is nice to see them win over 95 games though.

:supernana:

Fuller_Schettman
10-01-2005, 06:28 PM

I'll tell ya, with 10 of the 18 games decided by 1 run and five more decided by 2 runs, these Indians are going to be kicking themselves all winter long with could'ves and should'ves. So many games hinging on a single play. When we win it all, I think we can look back to all of our close, gut-wrenching games and be thankful of the character they built into our team.

We truly are built for the World Series!

Fuller_Schettman
10-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Meanwhile, after Cal Eldred gets the Reds back into a tie, they turn around and walk two and hit two batters. ARGH! 7-6 Cards...

TDog
10-01-2005, 06:46 PM

The leagues not only have schedules that pit them against entirely different teams, but they play by different rules. The leagues are distinct, but for a smattering of interleague play that is heavy on rivalries. Designating the team with the best overall record for the World Series homefield advantage would be stupid.

The All-Star-Game thing might be a gimmick, but it's not as arbitrary and capricious as determining the World Series homefield advantage by comparing apples with oranges.

Chips
10-01-2005, 06:51 PM
The Cards are at 98-62. We're now at 97-63. How great would it be if we could tie them at the very least for the best record in baseball? Seeing that we have nothing else to play for really, we might as well keep this in the back of our minds. We can't win 100, but we still can acheive this distinction.

I would like this distinction only as bragging rights, but 2005 World Champs sounds a hell of lot better. The eleven playoff games are all that matter right now.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2005, 06:53 PM
The All-Star-Game thing might be a gimmick, but it's not as arbitrary and capricious as determining the World Series homefield advantage by comparing apples with oranges.

I agree. In fact I'll go you one further. Instead of home-field advantage, MLB -- like hockey -- ought to award the "President's Trophy" to the team with the best overall regular season record.

Or MLB could take Daver's advice and give the trophy to the best midget throwers. Same thing.

:wink: