PDA

View Full Version : AL Manager of the Year

Fenway
10-01-2005, 09:39 AM
If I had a vote I would give it to Lou Pinella. He simply took what little he had to work with and put a team on the field that came to play.

Fenway
10-01-2005, 09:42 AM
If I had a vote I would give it to Lou Pinella. With what little he had to work with he fielded a team that came ready to play and cause most teams fits.

chaerulez
10-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Lou Pinella? Most teams fits? Maybe a couple sounds better as a team that's reaching 95 losses I don't think gave most of the league fits.

Fenway
10-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Lou Pinella? Most teams fits? Maybe a couple sounds better as a team that's reaching 95 losses I don't think gave most of the league fits.

fits - in they didn't get blown out very often.

and they have been over .500 since the break

doublem23
10-01-2005, 09:59 AM
If the Indians make the play-offs then you give it to Eric Wedge. If they don't, it's Ozzie Guillen.

LuvSox
10-01-2005, 11:11 AM
What is so special about Francona this year?

Fenway
10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
What is so special about Francona this year?

I defer to The New York Times

Francona Should Be Manager of the Year (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:NYTB&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=10CF3F34AF4E1798&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F4281F45DEEBE2F)

ilsox7
10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
This thread is just plain idiotic. The Indians were picked by many to contend for the division title. The Devil Rays suck, just not as bad lately. The Red Sox are the ****ing defending world champions. The Angels were picked in their division. The White Sox? A concensus pick to finish 3rd or 4th. And they win at least 97 games and have the best record in the AL. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes.

Chips
10-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Ozzie deserves this award more than any other manager. I don't give a **** if Cleveland makes the playoffs or not, Eric Wedge doesn't deserve it. Cleveland played ****ty to mediocre ball for the better half of the season, then they started playing .900 ball. That is not manager of the year, manager of the 2nd half maybe. Ozzie has had this team in first place all season long. They have had the best record in the AL since early April (I think Blue Jays had a better record after the first 10 or 12 games), the Sox were not picked by anyone to go far and they have 97 wins, the most in the AL, second only to the Cardinals.

The award goes to Ozzie.

Chips
10-01-2005, 12:07 PM

The White Sox didn't get blown out very often.
They have been over .500 all ****ing season.

Chips
10-01-2005, 12:29 PM

The Devil Rays have been blown out (lost by five or more runs) 24 times this season:
April 10: 6-1 Oakland
April 15: 10-0 Red Flubs
April 18: 19-8 Spanks
April 24: 11-3 Carmines
April 27: 8-2 Toronto
April 29: 5-0 Baltimore
May 6: 7-1 Twinkies
May 7: 8-1 Twinkies
May 31: 10-1 Oakland
June 1: 11-2 Oakland
June 9: 14-5 Cincinnati
June 10: 7-2 Pittsburgh
June 11: 18-2 Pittsburgh
July 6: 7-1 Chicago White Sox
July 10: 9-4 Baltimore
July 15: 11-6 Toronto
July 20: 9-4 Blow Sox
August 4: 13-5 Texas
August 10: 9-5 Red Flubs
August 22: 11-4 Cleveland
September 9: 7-2 Toronto
September 13: 17-3 Yankmees
Spetember 20: 15-2 Boston
September 29: 6-0 Injuns

Ol' No. 2
10-01-2005, 01:31 PM
This thread is just plain idiotic. The Indians were picked by many to contend for the division title. The Devil Rays suck, just not as bad lately. The Red Sox are the ****ing defending world champions. The Angels were picked in their division. The White Sox? A concensus pick to finish 3rd or 4th. And they win at least 97 games and have the best record in the AL. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes.What he said.

Stroker Ace
10-01-2005, 01:50 PM

Francona Should Be Manager of the Year (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:NYTB&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=10CF3F34AF4E1798&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F4281F45DEEBE2F)That, like everything else in the NY times, is garbage. Ozzie wins it hands down.

Yorke97
10-01-2005, 03:35 PM
It think Oz will win it, but if there ever was a runner up, Joe Torre. He really pulled that team out of the gutter. I was watching the final out as the yanks clinched today and and you could see all of the emothion on his face. He hugged all of his players, I mean really hugged them. Raw emotion just coming out after a season with as many ups as downs, he was clearly relieved.

ilsox7
10-01-2005, 03:38 PM
It think Oz will win it, but if there ever was a runner up, Joe Torre. He really pulled that team out of the gutter. I was watching the final out as the yanks clinched today and and you could see all of the emothion on his face. He hugged all of his players, I mean really hugged them. Raw emotion just coming out after a season with as many ups as downs, he was clearly relieved.

Bull****. He has $200MM to work with. He better win the ****ing division.

A. Cavatica
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Torre is a nice safe fourth- or fifth- place vote. It's Ozzie #1 and Wedge #2.

Ten days ago, I couldn't imagine it not going to Wedge, but now that the tables are turned I'd have to concede it to Ozzie. He's a lousy strategist but I can give you 98 reasons why he deserves it.

Chisox003
10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Torre is a nice safe fourth- or fifth- place vote. It's Ozzie #1 and Wedge #2.

Ten days ago, I couldn't imagine it not going to Wedge, but now that the tables are turned I'd have to concede it to Ozzie. He's a lousy strategist but I can give you 98 reasons why he deserves it.
You dont win 98 games because you're lucky...You win 98 games because dammit, you're good!

I agree, 10 days ago, it's Wedge. After losing to the Knights 2 days in a row and now on the brink of elimination, Ozzie it is.

Torre? Francona? $200 million payrolls? How about Trammel and the mighty Tigers? Didn't Kruk pick them to win the Central?

Ozzie, Wedge, Soscia ... Simple

SOXfnNlansing
10-01-2005, 06:27 PM
If I had a vote I would give it to Lou Pinella. He simply took what little he had to work with and put a team on the field that came to play.:dtroll: Ok then. For MVP I vote for Carl Crawford:angry:

Unregistered
10-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Well that would be 1 vote for Pinella and 200 for Ozzie.

Thanks for the input. :cool:

munchman33
10-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Most of the east coast mediots are in agreement that Eric Wedge should get it. This really burns me up. The toons were supposed to be there, and they probably won't be. :angry:

DaleJRFan
10-01-2005, 08:20 PM
If I had a vote I would give it to Lou Pinella. He simply took what little he had to work with and put a team on the field that came to play.

He put a team on the field that came to play... and LOSE 94 games. How that is deserving of Manager of the Year is completely beyond me.

:dtroll:

gogosox675
10-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Ozzie should win the Manager of the Year. His team won a division title after they were expected to finish in 4th.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Fenway, you're making it harder and harder for those WSIers (myself not included) who keep defending you as a non-troll. Usually your threads and posts are just nauseatingly East-centric, as if any of us gives a crap about the greatest rivalry in professional sports history. But this is exactly the kind of antagonistic BS I'd expect from a moron Twins or Toons fan. What did you think our response would be?

Yeah, the guy who convinced his GM and owner to rebuild the team to his specs, who converted a home-run happy also-ran that was supposed to finish in 3rd or 4th place into a division champ, that guy doesn't deserve Manager of the Year. Give it to Sweet Lou for finally beating the Indians two games in a row.

Oh wait, Ozzie just did that too!:D:

Fenway, just go help the Red Cubs win the Wild Card so the real Sox can hand them their asses next week.

Brian26
10-01-2005, 10:56 PM

:?:

Fenway, is this playoff pressure making you completely lose it? I'm one of the guys who is always coming to your defense, but this makes no sense. Hell, some people argue that Piniella QUIT on his team about halfway through the season.

chitownhawkfan
10-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey Troll, any of us could manage the DRays to 100 losses, how does that make him Manager of the Year? :dtroll:

GO AWAY!

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Fenway, it's time for you to lay low around here. I'll play Baseball Prospectus here for a minute.

If Boston wins tomorrow, they're WC regardless of what the Jndjans do. If Boston loses and the Jndjans lose, Boston is the WC. If Boston loses and the Jndjans win, there is a playoff for the WC.

So, since three of the four possible outcomes gives the WC to Boston, and the fourth possible outcome still gives them a 50% chance, that works out to an 87.5% chance that Boston will be the WC and the first opponent for the White Sox.

Ergo, you are the enemy.

Ozzie is manager of the year. How the hell do you give it to a guy who just had the last year of his contract bought out by his team?

Fredsox
10-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Ergo, you are the enemy.

Ozzie is manager of the year. How the hell do you give it to a guy who just had the last year of his contract bought out by his team?

Isn't that a bit extreme? Calling him "The enemy" and telling him to lay low?

FarWestChicago
10-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Isn't that a bit extreme? Calling him "The enemy" and telling him to lay low?No.

Deuce
10-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Whether the Jndjans make the post season or not, its gonna be Wedge. The media didn't want them to win the Wild Card, so they won't home it against Wedge in the least.

Deuce

beckett21
10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Whether the Jndjans make the post season or not, its gonna be Wedge. The media didn't want them to win the Wild Card, so they won't home it against Wedge in the least.

Deuce

I don't believe that is true.

Going into the season, the expectations for the Indians were higher than they were for the Sox. Cleveland was a trendy pick to win the division, while the Sox were considered also-rans by the vast majority of media types.

Wedge did a fine job, but I honestly think Ozzie will get the nod.

Optipessimism
10-02-2005, 11:47 AM
This thread is just plain idiotic. The Indians were picked by many to contend for the division title. The Devil Rays suck, just not as bad lately. The Red Sox are the ****ing defending world champions. The Angels were picked in their division. The White Sox? A concensus pick to finish 3rd or 4th. And they win at least 97 games and have the best record in the AL. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes.

I'm with you there, but I think in the end we are all going to watch as some East Coast schmuck or Wedge gets it. Maybe Torre gets it because his team overcame a terrible pitching staff by rising above the others and conquering them with their 100 and whatever million dollar lineup.

I have a sick feeling this is going to be like the Skiles situation last year for the Bulls. Everyone knows Ozzie is the most deserving, but can't resist to give it away.

chitownhawkfan
10-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Not my place to say, but I dont think too many people would find it too extreme if he was banned.

Frankfan4life
10-02-2005, 11:59 AM
This thread is just plain idiotic. The Indians were picked by many to contend for the division title. The Devil Rays suck, just not as bad lately. The Red Sox are the ****ing defending world champions. The Angels were picked in their division. The White Sox? A concensus pick to finish 3rd or 4th. And they win at least 97 games and have the best record in the AL. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes.I couldn't have said it any better. I also want to add that this is only Ozzie's second season as a manager! Winning in a tough AL Central division is not too shabby an accomplishment for someone most people regarded as a "loose canon" and when most thought the Sox made a monumental mistake for hiring him in the first place. Ozzie proved all the doubters wrong. Give him his due!

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I voted for Ozzie.After what he did for this team,taking the heat
off his players when that 15 game lead melted to 1 1/2,he's earned
it.I don't always agree with his decisions (the less I see of Marte and
Vizcaino,the better),but the bottom line is W's.The Sox have 98
of them heading into Sunday.And as I write this,they're working on # 99
with a 2-0 lead in the top of the third.:cool: :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2005, 01:01 PM
:dtroll: Ok then. For MVP I vote for Carl Crawford:angry:

What about Julio Lugo or Jorge Cantu??:roflmao: :roflmao:

davenicholson
10-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Francona Should Be Manager of the Year (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:NYTB&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=10CF3F34AF4E1798&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F4281F45DEEBE2F)
The New York Frickin' Times?!?!?!?! Well, geeze, if that pantheon of journalistic integrity and honesty says so...

davenicholson
10-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Isn't that a bit extreme? Calling him "The enemy" and telling him to lay low?
Nope.

chaotic8512
10-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Please, someone tell me, why is everyone else sold (not here obviously :tongue: )on Wedge getting AL manager of the year? Do preseason expectations mean ANYTHING? Wedge and his Indians expected to compete with the Twins for the title with that high-octane offense and formidable pitching, while the White Sox, with no chemistry or offense because of the losses of Maggs, C. Lee, and Valentin, will be stuck competing for 3rd place with the MOTOWN KITTENS?!?

Exceeding expectations does nothing for you here? Is one big late surge enough for Wedge, even though he and his Injuns missed the playoffs completely?