PDA

View Full Version : Closer in the Playoffs Jenks or Hermanson??

socko82
10-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Hermanson looked real good last night and Bobby is still a rookie and has looked shaky lately. He is totally overpowering lefties but righthanded batters have been sitting on his fast ball and hitting him hard. Assuming Hermanson's back can take it, who do you run out there in the 9th of a one run game next week?

Crede_Fan
10-01-2005, 09:31 AM
If we are playing Boston and its the 2, 3, and 4 hitters, I go with Hermie.

harwar
10-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Yea,if Jenks can get the right mix of blasing fastball(not quite enough movement) and devasting breaking ball(best i've seen in a while) at the right time he will be unhittable.
I'm not sure hes' there yet as he is kind of feeling his way through.
With Hermies' back however,what choice does Ozzie have.

chaerulez
10-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I'd say Jenks, but I'd like to see him mix in more curves and changes.

RallyBowl
10-01-2005, 09:54 AM
In a tight game IMO it's gonna be Dustin. I personally feel comfortable with both of them so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

Soxzilla
10-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I think Jenks is just a wee bit tired. He hasn't been hitting the high 90's with the fastballs he has been throwing, and those few extra mph mean a lot when your fastball is straight.

I think the three days off will hopefully help him get that velocity back, but I don't mind Hermanson running out there in the ninth. The man is a grinder.

SOXfnNlansing
10-01-2005, 10:07 AM
both

gobears1987
10-01-2005, 10:16 AM
bothBUt then ESPN will bitch and complain about how our pen sucks because we have closers by committee, despite the fact we have 2 good closers.

hawkjt
10-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Bobby looked very confident in his breaking ball last nite as hawk pointed out. Now get his arm a little fresher and he will have the 100mph heater to go with it.

I think you look at matchups and ozz goes with his gut. All depends on Hermys back of course. How great would it be to have hermy and damaso going good along with the rest going into the playoffs? Cliff and cotts are a little down but still good.

johnny_mostil
10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
BUt then ESPN will bitch and complain about how our pen sucks because we have closers by committee, despite the fact we have 2 good closers.

Teal aside (because your comment is true), who cares if it works?

eastchicagosoxfan
10-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Hermie is the man. If the Sox are leading by a three runs, Jenks is okay, but I like Hermie in a tight game.

jabrch
10-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Jenks is tremendously effective against lefties. Hermanson moreso vs Righties. If it comes down to it, that's how I'd play it.

getonbckthr
10-01-2005, 12:41 PM
HOW ABOUT DAMASO????

BUT SERIOUSLY HOW ABOUT POLITTE.

fquaye149
10-01-2005, 01:01 PM
HOW ABOUT DAMASO????

BUT SERIOUSLY HOW ABOUT POLITTE.

a.) politte is not a better pitcher than Jenks or Herm

b.) politte has struggled in the closer role in years past.

c.) to put ANY pitcher into the closer role IN THE PLAYOFFS when he has not closed a single ballgame is the desperation move of a team with NO closers, not TWO closers.

A_ROW33
10-01-2005, 01:10 PM
It all depends on matchups, as others have already stated. Jenks blew away the angels earlier, but boston light him up. However bottom line is they both could be effective, and that bodes well for us (considering other rookie/veteran postseason closer combinations ie krod and percival and Mariano and wetteland) also don't rule out the possibility of a starter coming in and closing late in a series.

Hagan
10-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I say Jenks because his stuff amazes me when he is on. Someone above said that he looks tired and I agree with that. Ozzie used jenks so much for a period and his fastball was down to 95-96. If rested he is one of the best relief pitchers I have seen this year.

antitwins13
10-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Marte

Jenks