PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Playoff scenarios Oct 1 AM

sox7235
10-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I have heard several different things. Tonight DJ said there was a possibility that game 1 could be Wednesday night. Does anyone know for sure when game 1 is or is it still pending the weekends outcome?

BRDSR
10-01-2005, 12:18 AM
I have heard several different things. Tonight DJ said there was a possibility that game 1 could be Wednesday night. Does anyone know for sure when game 1 is or is it still pending the weekends outcome?

Everything is still pending the weekend outcomes. If memory serves, 3 out of 4 ALDS series start on the first day of the playoffs(Tuesday) and one starts on the next(Wednesday). And so, I assume that the Sox have a one in four chance of starting on Wednesday. If they play New York or Boston I would think they have a one half chance of starting Wednesday, as that would make it possible to televise both these contests at night. Moral of the story: be patient.

I'm personally having trouble following my own advice as I have an unavoidable exam at 10:00 AM Tuesday, and if the Sox play at noon on Tuesday I'd be a two hour commute away from the park at 11:00 AM. That would be a bummer.

sox7235
10-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Everything is still pending the weekend outcomes. If memory serves, 3 out of 4 ALDS series start on the first day of the playoffs(Tuesday) and one starts on the next(Wednesday). And so, I assume that the Sox have a one in four chance of starting on Wednesday. If they play New York or Boston I would think they have a one half chance of starting Wednesday, as that would make it possible to televise both these contests at night. Moral of the story: be patient.

I'm personally having trouble following my own advice as I have an unavoidable exam at 10:00 AM Tuesday, and if the Sox play at noon on Tuesday I'd be a two hour commute away from the park at 11:00 AM. That would be a bummer.

Thanks, I have some work commitments that are still up in the air as far as taking time off goes, hopefully for me it's Tuesday.

mmmmmbeeer
10-01-2005, 01:07 AM
So let's just say Boston takes 2/3 from NY and our Sox lose the next 2 to CLE. This means that Monday there will be a AL East division playoff and Tue there will be a wildcard playoff between Monday's loser and the Indians. Now, my concern as a fan coming from out of town to catch game 2 of the ALDS, does this mean that that game will take place on Thursday or Friday? This is just no good when trying to schedule vacation time.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2005, 01:09 AM
In this event the Sox ALDS series opens Wednesday with game #2 Thursday.

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-01-2005, 01:12 AM
If Cleveland beats the Sox 2 of 3 and the Red Sox beat the Yanks 2 of 3, you will have play-in games for the post season on BOTH Monday AND Tuesday meaning the earliest the White Sox would start play would be Wednesday.

Lip

mmmmmbeeer
10-01-2005, 01:13 AM
In this event the Sox ALDS series opens Wednesday with game #2 Thursday.

Lip

Thank ya', sir. I think we should just beat CLE tomorrow and make things easy.

WhiteSox16K
10-01-2005, 01:24 AM

I'm in the same boat with an 11:00 AM exam and 1 hour (or so) commute. That 12:00 game would destroy me. I could make anything else, but I'm just patiently waiting. My thought is that if there is a W.C. one game playoff, MLB is not going to give ANY A.L. team that noon game because of Monday evening/night travel to another city. That's mostly just wishful thinking though.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2005, 01:40 AM
My thinking is that the noon game will be an NL match, since the AL always has better ratings.

gosox3072
10-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Yes, i REALLY hope it is tuesday, i have an unavoidable exam on wednesday at 2pm. If i cant go:angry:

Fenway
10-01-2005, 09:14 AM
my best guess? Both series split the rest of the way and Boston goes to Chicago and Anaheim goes to New York

Honestly I think that is what Ozzie wants as he knows the WS can hold their own with either Boston or New York.
Anaheim has to scare him a little based on 3 weeks ago at USCF.

October 1, 2005
The Red Sox tied the Yankees for first in the AL East with a 5-3 win last night and moved one game ahead of Cleveland in the wild-card standings after the Indians' 3-2 loss to the White Sox. A look at the possibilities for the AL East and wild card going into the weekend (the White Sox have clinched the Central and the Angels the West):

If Red Sox 2-0 and Indians 2-0:

Boston 96-66
NY 94-68
Cleveland95-67
Red Sox win the East and would host the Indians (wild card) Tuesday at Fenway.

If Red Sox 2-0 and Indians 1-1:

Boston 96-66
NY 94-68
Cleveland 94-68
Red Sox win the East; Cleveland and New York would play a one-game tiebreaker Monday in Cleveland for the wild card. If Cleveland wins, it would open against the Sox at Fenway. If New York wins, the Yankees would open at Chicago and the Sox would host the Angels.

If Red Sox 2-0 and Indians 0-2:

Boston 96-66
NY 94-68
Cleveland 93-69
Red Sox win the East and would host the Angels Tuesday; Yankees would be the wild card and play at Chicago.

If Red Sox 1-1 and Indians 2-0:

Boston 95-67
NY 95-67
Cleveland 95-67
The Red Sox and Yankees play Monday in New York; the winner will be the AL East champion. The loser plays Cleveland Tuesday for the wild card. The Indians would host the Yankees, but play at Boston.

If Red Sox 1-1 and Indians 1-1:

Boston 95-67
NY 95-67
Cleveland 94-68
The Yankees win the AL East because of a better season-series record against the Red Sox (10-9) and the Sox will be the wild card and play at Chicago Tuesday.

If Red Sox 1-1 and Indians 0-2:

Boston 95-67
NY 95-67
Cleveland 93-69
The Yankees win the AL East because of a better season-series record against the Red Sox (10-9) and the Sox would be the wild card and play at Chicago Tuesday.

If Red Sox 0-2 and Indians 2-0:

NY 96-66
Boston 94-68
Cleveland 95-67
The Yankees win the AL East and the Indians are the wild card.

If Red Sox 0-2 and Indians 1-1:

NY 96-66
Boston 94-68
Cleveland 94-68
The Yankees win the AL East and the Red Sox host the Indians Monday in a one-game playoff for the wild card.

If Red Sox 0-2 and Indians 0-2:

NY 96-66
Boston 94-68
Cleveland 93-69
The Yankees win the AL East and the Red Sox are the wild card and open at Chicago Tuesday. http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

harwar
10-01-2005, 09:28 AM
A world series appearance wouldn't be complete without beating the yankees & red sox to get there.
Its just the facts of life that they are the only two teams that really matter in baseball,in fact they should be moved to their own separate little division.
You could call it the "look at me" division.
Its a shame because i used to really enjoy watching the red sox at fenway park when i was out there visiting my sister.Now because i hate what espn has become(re: red sox post-game show) i can't even watch on tv without feelings of resentment coming out.

anewman35
10-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Both AL series start on Tuesday, unless there is a double playoff.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Question - What if Anaheim ties the AL East winner (Anaheim goes 2-0 and the Yankees / Boston split)? Will Anaheim be the #2 seed or #3 seed? I know the Yankees and Boston (and possibly Cleveland) have to battle it out for the AL East / Wild Card but has anyone heard if Anaheim moves up to the number 2 seed by tying the AL East winners? Thanks.

Fenway
10-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Question - What if Anaheim ties the AL East winner (Anaheim goes 2-0 and the Yankees / Boston split)? Will Anaheim be the #2 seed or #3 seed? I know the Yankees and Boston (and possibly Cleveland) have to battle it out for the AL East / Wild Card but has anyone heard if Anaheim moves up to the number 2 seed by tying the AL East winners? Thanks.

Boston was 6-4 vs LAA
NYY was 4-6 vs LAA

I assume they use head to head for seeding

SouthSide_HitMen
10-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Boston was 6-4 vs LAA
NYY was 4-6 vs LAA

I assume they use head to head for seeding

I hope your right (if the Yankees win out).

I would like to beat Boston (Wild Card) and New York (American League) and then St. Louis or Atlanta.

downstairs
10-01-2005, 10:48 AM
According to MLB.com (and whitesox.com, which is the same site):

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/postseason_schedule.jsp

...all ALDS games will be completely in synch with each other. So, as long as you know you're in, you know your schedule.

There is no AL game one of any sort on Wednesday.

Times will always be TBD... I am sure they'll decide times on each game a day or two in advance.

Take it for what you will... who knows if this stuff will change. But they did post it, so I assume they're confident its going to happen this way.

Palehose13
10-01-2005, 11:26 AM
If New York wins, the Yankees would open at Chicago and the Sox would host the Angels.

How is this possible? :tongue:

Fenway
10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
How is this possible? :tongue:

dat Flying Sock is fast :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Yankees win AL East thanks to us (reliant on Cle losing)

Very good chance that Boston is coming to town Tuesday

longshot7
10-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Scenarios for Sunday:

If Boston wins, they're the wild card.

If Boston loses, and Cleveland wins - 1 game playoff on Monday at Boston

If Boston loses, and Cleveland loses - Boston is wild card.

either way, game 1 of ALDS is Tues in Chicago.

sachin
10-01-2005, 04:08 PM
hello I am wondering if it is possible for white sox to have a Wednesday game?

SouthSide_HitMen
10-01-2005, 11:27 PM
New York, Chicago and Anaheim are the division winners.

Boston wins:

If Anaheim also wins - White Sox host Boston, Anaheim hosts New York.

If Anaheim loses - White Sox host Boston, New York hosts Anaheim.

New York Wins:

If Cleveland wins Sunday - Boston Hosts Cleveland Monday

If Boston wins Monday - White Sox host Boston, New York hosts Anaheim

If Cleveland wins Monday - White Sox hosts Anaheim, New York hosts Cleveland

If Cleveland loses Sunday - White Sox host Boston, New York hosts Anaheim