PDA

View Full Version : Hal Vickery Article

Palehose1
07-27-2001, 11:16 AM
I normally agree with Hal's articles, but with this one I think he's being a little premature. Give Kenny a chance. The guy tried to fix last years holes (infield defense and a #1 starter), he got us each of those, things just haven't worked out. Look on the bright side, he hasn't given up much to get either of those guys. Sirotka was going to be traded eventually, just like JB was yesterday, because they both would command a ton of money. Do you think either Sirotka or Baldwin are worth $5-$8 million per year? They are both #3 or #2 starters at best. Do you want to pay that much for one of those type of guys?
I don't think Kenny has done that bad, he's made some mistakes with his inexperience, but it hasn't cost us. And I don't think it ever will cost us, because Jerry has surrounded him with very qualified people (Roland Hemond).

:KW Give him a chance (at least 2 to 3 years) He hasn't traded the farm away, so until he does, I'm going to continue to support him.

Tragg
07-27-2001, 12:01 PM
KW did not fix a single hole.

Wells was an honest effort to fill one hole. I can't fault KW that it didn't work out.

Clayton ADDED a hole. He is not significantly better defensively than Valentin, and he is a huge offensive liability. That was a skinflint trade, poorly thought out and ill-conceived.

Let's add losing a first round draft choice for alomar who isn't much better than mark johnson.

Iguana775
07-27-2001, 01:09 PM
i got mixed feelings about KW. on one hand, he IS trying to do something to help the team, albeit not that good at it. and on the other hand, all of his deals with the exception of a few like glove, have been bad. wells, i was happy about cause he was a work horse and could bring some leadership to our staff.

the only way i think that the sox will ever be respectable is if they are sold to someone who is willing to do what it takes to WIN!!!! kind of like the yankme's owner, george s.

to me, KW, as you all may have figured out, is a puppet to upper management. untill they figure out who has the power, the sox are doomed to fail. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foulke You
07-27-2001, 01:11 PM
I have to agree with Hal Vickery. KW has done little to instill confidence in Sox fans. Schueler at least seemed to have a plan. KW seems dazed and confused. The move that he made that has panned out is Jose Canseco and he's just a big band-aid until Frank comes back.

To answer your comment if Sirotka was worth 5-7 million? In a world where a mediocre .500 injury prone pitcher like Darren Dreifort gets 11 million from the Dodgers, yes Sirotka was worth 5-7 million.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The move that he made that has panned out is Jose Canseco and he's just a big band-aid until Frank comes back.

Don't forget getting Gary Glover for Scott Eyre. We really screwed the Jays in that deal. And so far his 1st draft pick has been doing pretty well. I know that it is too early to tell, but the way things have been going with the other pitchers selected in the first round (Prior, in particular), it seems that the Sox made a good move there.

duke of dorwood
07-27-2001, 02:08 PM
This is a business where failure produces long term results. He is no match for anyone out there, will NEVER come out with the best of a deal. You give him 3 years, by then we're the CUBS

Soxboyrob
07-27-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
KW did not fix a single hole.

Clayton ADDED a hole. He is not significantly better defensively than Valentin, and he is a huge offensive liability. That was a skinflint trade, poorly thought out and ill-conceived.

:hitless
Does anyone care that I've quitely hit over .300 over the course of the last couple months and have become the most consistent hitter in the lineup? I know I hurt us in April and May, but I am now the man!

Mathew
07-27-2001, 07:21 PM
If I go to a restauraut and try to ordere a steak and the waiter brings me back moldy bread and charges me the same price that would make me an idiot! KW=idiot! The Bargan shopping is not his fault but why is everyone so impressed with Canseco? He had 2 hrs in a meaningless out of reach game and with the exception of last night was striking out every time it mattered. I will take heat for this but Canseco is not that good. The price is right but he takes hard swings on every pitch and generally strikes out. He can't play any position and is what the #6 guy in the line up, big deal. Sirotka is not a #3 starter, he is much more and is more that fatass injured or not. KW didn't trick the Jays he's too stupid!

Mathew
07-27-2001, 07:22 PM
order a steak-sorry