PDA

View Full Version : anyone else enjoying "Wrigley Follies"?

cheeses_h_rice
12-07-2001, 10:21 AM
http://chicagotribune.com/news/chi-0112070364dec07.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed

Personally, I'm loving all the cat-and-mouse games the Cubs are playing with the rooftop owners surrounding the park. Now they want to install a "windscreen" to supposedly lessen the winds that swirl in the park, but they admit they're really doing it to f*ck with the rooftop owners opposing their expansion plans.

It's the goose that laid the golden egg all over again. They prolly shouldn't mess with a sure thing, but they are!

RedPinStripes
12-07-2001, 02:23 PM
Let them do it. The only thing I like about that park is you can see the whole neighboehood in the OF. It's truly an old fashoned park. They screw that up, and it's nothing but an old dump. Then we'll see hoe they draw.

MarqSox
12-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Looks like trouble in paradise on the North Side.

Poor apartment owners, won't be able to steal baseball and sell it for their own anymore. Cry me a frickin river.

MarqSox
12-07-2001, 06:15 PM
City questions Cubs' new tactic of blocking rooftop view :gulp:
By Gary Washburn
Tribune staff reporter

A top Daley administration official Thursday questioned a controversial new tactic in the battle between the Cubs and owners of surrounding rooftop businesses.

Attaching windscreens to the chain-link fencing behind Wrigley Field's outfield seating area in an attempt to hamper rooftop views of the ballpark is not helpful as the city seeks to settle the knotty issue of a proposed landmark status for Wrigley, said Planning Commissioner Alicia Berg.

"I think that anything that keeps us from moving forward and raises tensions doesn't help the discussions," Berg said. "If we could just lower the tensions on both sides, that would be wonderful."

The question of what portions of Wrigley might be given landmark status is a sensitive one because it could affect the team's ability to make alterations to the park, including a proposed seating expansion under consideration.

Mark McGuire, Cubs executive vice president of business operations, said Wednesday the tarpaulinlike windscreens were being tested, but he acknowledged they are aimed at the rooftop owners who are seeking to stop the proposed 2,100-seat bleacher expansion.

Berg said she was not sure whether the city could stop a permanent installation if it were planned to be in place when the new Cubs season begins next spring.

"If there are some changes that would require a building permit and would affect potential landmark status, we would get involved," she said. But Berg said she did not know whether a permit would be necessary for windscreen installation--essentially tying lengths of tarp to the fencing.

Cubs officials contend city permission would not be required.

Rooftop owners, who charge admission, have spent millions of dollars to improve their buildings and install seating and other amenities. However, Tribune Co., the owner of the Cubs, contends the businesses are pirating its product.

Ald. Bernard Hansen (44th), whose ward includes the ballpark, has called for compromise.

"If Tribune digs its heels in and if . . . the rooftops dig their heels in, we will never get from Point A to Point B," he said. "We want to get from Point A to Point B so everyone can co-exist."

Meanwhile, Berg said a temporary freeze in the Wrigley landmarking process may be extended to permit further negotiation between team and city officials over what elements of the park would be protected.

The seating expansion is tied to the landmark bargaining.

Daver
12-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Maybe I can figure out a way to cause a giant sinkhole at the corner of Clark and Addison and solve the neighborhood's problem for them.

CLR01
12-07-2001, 07:14 PM
I dont get it, what argument do the rooftop owners have? Why does the city seem to want to bend to help these people out?

Jerry_Manuel
12-07-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I dont get it, what argument do the rooftop owners have? Why does the city seem to want to bend to help these people out?

Well it's really the people in the neighborhood. There is a big fight going on to decide if Wrigley will get landmark status. As everyone knows if the park gets it the Cubs have to go through a long process if they want to do anything to the park.

MarqSox
12-07-2001, 07:29 PM
:hizzoner
I raised my kid right. Way to make it hell for the Cubbies, Richie Boy!

CubKilla
12-07-2001, 11:49 PM
Think those windscreens will prevent routine flyouts from becoming home runs and grand slams ala Gutierrez and Rodriguez? And, for once in my life, I am in total agreement with the Cub Organization. SCREW THE ROOFTOP OWNERS. No other professional sporting team has fans attending the event without a ticket..... unless you know a cop or security. But Cub fans will undoubtedly claim that these rooftops are the "mystique" of Wrigley Field. If only Cub fans put up this much of a fuss over the TEAM..... but we know that'll NEVER happen. W-L is secondary on the northside of town.

:mkillcub

Windcreens? Who needs windscreens?

FarWestChicago
12-07-2001, 11:51 PM
Excellent use of the Manos The Cub Killer tag, CFB! :smile:

RedPinStripes
12-08-2001, 04:24 AM
Yup. The manos is one of my personal fav's. perfect use of it.