PDA

View Full Version : The Trib's latest anti-Sox screed

maurice
09-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Not only do the Sox fail to "choke," but they also manage to clinch their division with 3 games left in the season. Time for the Trib to admit that it's full of ****? Not remotely (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0509300125sep30,1,4110376.story?coll=chi-news-hed):

Sox (gasp, wheeze) win!

Whew! Make that double whew!! Just days ago, when the White Sox had frittered away almost all of their once-huge lead in the standings, the Chicago baseball universe (or at least the southern half of it) was having a panic attack over the prospect of one of the worst flops in baseball history. And then here they go and clinch a trip to the playoffs on Thursday. . . .

Next, the editorial claims that Cleveland choked, though the Sox led the division -- indeed all of the AL -- from wire-to-wire.

Sox fans shouldn't beat themselves up over needlessly beating themselves up during the September swoon. Sure manager Ozzie Guillen's boys turned what looked like a coronation into a beginner's ice-skating lesson.

Hmmm, no mention here of the Trib's incessent (and false) claims that the Sox were choking. Apparently, the Sox DID choke, but Cleveland just choked worse.
:rolleyes:

Sox fans can start on a whole new set of worries. They're in the playoffs and still have the best record in the American League, but they didn't look very good getting to the finish. The big, rich Yankees are playing well. The Angels are hot. There are the demons of history--and the recent memory of getting swept in the first round the last time they made the playoffs, in 2000. . . .

Clearly, yesterday's events call for an extremely negative spin. The Trib has proven once again that it's editorial board is aggressively pro-cub and anti-Sox.

:cubune

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

:giantsnail

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Pfft. Choke? You want to see a choke?

Here's your answer (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1969.shtml).

TommyJohn
09-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Pfft. Choke? You want to see a choke?

Here's your answer (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1969.shtml).

You know what made me choke? That sponsor says his son's middle name is
Wrigley!

C-Dawg
09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Sox fans shouldn't beat themselves up over needlessly beating themselves up during the September swoon.

If I did my math correctly, the Sox currently have a .571 record in September. Is that a swoon? Its better than August, of course, and its also better than July! Even if they lose tonight (last day of September) the record will be .551.

Cleveland nearly caught us because they played something like .850 for the month.

JoeyCora28
09-30-2005, 05:34 PM
You know what made me choke? That sponsor says his son's middle name is
Wrigley!

I can top that...

A guy I went to high school with named his boy "Clark Addison". That kid's due for a boatload of therapy a few years down the line.

Ol' No. 2
09-30-2005, 05:44 PM
All season long I've been looking forward to all the naysayers and "experts" eating their words. So now we have the latest Trib screed about how the Sox narrowly avoided choking, Sherman's article about how America still loves the Cubs and BP turning logic on its head....

This is even better than I'd hoped.:D::D::D:

Blancos Medias
10-01-2005, 06:56 AM
It's obvious that Cub fans everywhere were hoping the Sox WOULD fold like a lawn chair to remove the stench of '69 from their nostrils.

I thought it was funny in '69, and still think it was funny. I'll never forget "Mr. Clutch" Ron Santo blaming Don Young for the choke. Class act.

TommyJohn
10-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I love how the spin is how the Sox "almost" choked. They didn't, so now we
have to hear that they "almost" did. Well "almost" counts only in horseshoes,
hand grenades, the 1964 Phillies and the 1969 Cubs.