PDA

View Full Version : 10:00 p.m. news coverage of Sox clinch

maurice
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Somebody wondered how local TV would cover the Sox clinch. It generally was assumed that it would lead all broadcasts. That assumption was sadly mistaken. The Sox clinch was the lead story on none of the 10:00 p.m. news broadcasts.

The best showing was Channel 5, which covered the Sox clinch second after an Aurora murder.

Channel 7 covered the Sox clinch as the third story but claimed that the Sox nearly "blew" their division lead (despite clinching with 3 days left in the season). They also emphasized that the Sox were elimintated in the 1st round in 2000.

But it is Channel 2 who is most deserving of its place in the Tribune Hall of Media Bias Shame. They didn't get around to covering the Sox clinch until the 4th or 5th story. Their "coverage" included an interview with a cub fan who told the Ch. 2 reporter that the "Sox are doomed." Moreover, the sports anchor reported that the Sox clinched only "after flirting with the biggest collapse in baseball history."

As an aside, Baseball Tonight did not cover the Sox clinch until almost halfway through the show, though they did mention it in passing. Coverage proceeded in the following predictable fashion: Yankees, Red Cubs, Yankees, Red Cubs, Yankees, Red Cubs, Cubs / 'Stros, Sox clinch.
:rolleyes:

StrTrkker
09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Channel 5 has always been great to the Sox thru-out the year. Allison Rossati :wink: and Warner Saunders are Sox fans I think and so is Ryan Baker. Channel 2 and 7 are very pro-Cubs as well as Fox 32. I think channel 9 is 50/50 with Rich King a big Sox fan.

Im sure as time goes by all the Chicago channels will jump on the Sox bandwagon. Stick with Channel 5. :rolleyes:

davenicholson
09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Both 9 o'clock news broadcasts ( 'GN and Fox) lead with the Sox; both stories were very positive and lasted several minutes.

SOecks
09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
All of this crap just makes me want a World Series even MORE, so they all have to choke on it and report on the Sox championship run. I'd especially like to see/hear all the ESPN talking heads eat crow the whole offseason.

Rocky Soprano
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Fox 32 lead off with the Sox and covered them VERY well.

Both Robin and Mark seemed to be VERY happy for the team.

Their poll for the day was, Will the Sox make it to the World Series. Mark then said if you are going to vote no, dont call!

At the end something like 84% voted yes they will make it. And then Mark said 16% of you said no, thank you northsiders for voting anyway. Then Robin said, the Sox will make it and Mark agreed.

ChiSoxGirl
09-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Fox 32 lead off with the Sox and covered them VERY well.

Both Robin and Mark seemed to be VERY happy for the team.

Their poll for the day was, Will the Sox make it to the World Series. Mark then said if you are going to vote no, dont call!

At the end something like 84% voted yes they will make it. And then Mark said 16% of you said no, thank you northsiders for voting anyway. Then Robin said, the Sox will make it and Mark agreed.

I believe it was the September 11 game against the Angels where Robin Robinson threw out the first pitch. I think she's a Sox fan alright!

HotelWhiteSox
09-30-2005, 02:22 PM
I have to give props to both Fox and WGN today at noon, I only caught the last 10 min, but the Sox were the main theme, Fox showed Frank meeting the team off the bus and interviewed him, and WGN had an awesome video piece at the end of their broadcast with the celebration pictures, including fans all over the city, with people in cars waving a big Sox flag while driving and honking their horns, very cool

Lip Man 1
09-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Dave:

WGN did not lead with the Sox they led with the Aurora situation then went to coverage of the former governor's trial. The Sox at best were the 3rd story.

Lip

eriqjaffe
09-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Im sure as time goes by all the Chicago channels will jump on the Sox bandwagon.
Yeah, we should see lots of coverage of the world champion White Sox around Christmas!

monkeypants
09-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I do have a slight problem with channel 7 on that night's newscast. One of the first stories was George Ryan's right-hand man was in court to plead guilty in the licence for bribe scandal so he could get a lighter sentance. As this drillrod was leaving the courthouse they showed him asking how the Sox did and did they clinch? Then channel 7 transitions this into the Sox story and celebration.

Even if it was unintentional, why can't we can't get the media to seperate the Sox and the fans from the lower dregs of society.

Fenway
09-30-2005, 03:20 PM
enjoy

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=16572@wbbm.dayport.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=16572@wbbm.dayport.com)

(server for WBBM is in Boston :smile: )

meanwhile here in Beantown

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_273131109.html

Realist
09-30-2005, 06:07 PM
enjoy

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=16572@wbbm.dayport.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=16572@wbbm.dayport.com)

(server for WBBM is in Boston :smile: )

meanwhile here in Beantown

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_273131109.html

Ugh. They couldn't make through the story without making at least two references to the team on the northside that's stadium is closed. And the world wonders why we hate the Cubs so much. This is our time. The Cubs are finished. Screw 'em.

I want Mags back
09-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Channel 5 has always been great to the Sox thru-out the year. Allison Rossati :wink: and Warner Saunders are Sox fans I think and so is Ryan Baker. Channel 2 and 7 are very pro-Cubs as well as Fox 32. I think channel 9 is 50/50 with Rich King a big Sox fan.

Im sure as time goes by all the Chicago channels will jump on the Sox bandwagon. Stick with Channel 5. :rolleyes:

1. I can't stand Ryan BAker. We has been so Anti-Sox this season. Hes ridiculously annoying

2. Fox definately isnt Pro-Cubs. Corey McPherean(sp) is a huge Sox fan and says it all the time during the Final Word.

3. Id agree, 7 and 2 suck

hsnterprize
10-01-2005, 10:36 AM
One thing I noticed about the CBS 2 story that's online...when Diann Burns said, "Chicago...primarily the south siders...", I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit because I remember when CuBS (and that's no typo, either) 2 went totally ape when the Cubs were in their playoff run a couple of years ago. I and other Sox fans e-mailed reporters and producers about their obvious Cubbie bias, and I'm sure they didn't want a Cub-filled backlash of Sox bias accusations.

Funny thing is their morning show producer, Chris Selfridge, is a Sox fan. I e-mailed him personally, griping about the Cubbie-filled casts from late 2003 to most of 2004. I understand they were the "big story" at the time, but we all know about how much the media loves the Cubs. Just more reason why I want the Sox to go all the way, and shove that "hey, hey, holy mackeral" crap down their throats.

Dancin' Homer
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't watch television news

I get all my news from WSI

Fenway
10-01-2005, 11:03 AM
What is it about CBS that they have managed to screw up local news in every market they have an o & o?????

One thing I noticed about the CBS 2 story that's online...when Diann Burns said, "Chicago...primarily the south siders...", I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit because I remember when CuBS (and that's no typo, either) 2 went totally ape when the Cubs were in their playoff run a couple of years ago. I and other Sox fans e-mailed reporters and producers about their obvious Cubbie bias, and I'm sure they didn't want a Cub-filled backlash of Sox bias accusations.

Funny thing is their morning show producer, Chris Selfridge, is a Sox fan. I e-mailed him personally, griping about the Cubbie-filled casts from late 2003 to most of 2004. I understand they were the "big story" at the time, but we all know about how much the media loves the Cubs. Just more reason why I want the Sox to go all the way, and shove that "hey, hey, holy mackeral" crap down their throats.

Milw
10-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Dave:

WGN did not lead with the Sox they led with the Aurora situation then went to coverage of the former governor's trial. The Sox at best were the 3rd story.

Lip
Heaven forbid the news actually focus on news ahead of sports ...:rolleyes:

dakuda
10-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I believe it was the September 11 game against the Angels where Robin Robinson threw out the first pitch. I think she's a Sox fan alright!

Yup, I was there for that one. A couple Rockettes threw out the second first pitch afterwards.

munchman33
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Heaven forbid the news actually focus on news ahead of sports ...:rolleyes:

Sports is news. And a division title is one of the biggest possible sports stories.

When the Flubs won their division, they got top billing everywhere.

Hangar18
10-03-2005, 09:36 AM
The Sox clinch was the lead story on none of the 10:00 p.m. news broadcasts.

Channel 7 covered the Sox clinch as the third story but claimed that the Sox nearly "blew" their division lead (despite clinching with 3 days left in the season). They also emphasized that the Sox were elimintated in the 1st round in 2000.

But it is Channel 2 who is most deserving of its place in the Tribune Hall of Media Bias Shame. They didn't get around to covering the Sox clinch until the 4th or 5th story. Their "coverage" included an interview with a cub fan who told the Ch. 2 reporter that the "Sox are doomed."

As an aside, Baseball Tonight did not cover the Sox clinch until almost halfway through the show, though they did mention it in passing. Coverage proceeded in the following predictable fashion: Yankees, Red Cubs, Yankees, Red Cubs, Yankees, Red Cubs, Cubs / 'Stros, Sox clinch.

The Chicago Media are TERRIBLE. Theyre love and lust for anything Cub has long crossed the line of outrageous. When I see the Channel 2/CBS float at the St Patricks Day parade, I yell and call them a bunch of cublovers. Anyone remember the wall-to-wall, anchor-so-giddy coverage back in 2003 for the other team ? Who says the media isnt biased .......