PDA

View Full Version : Question about final play in last night's Astros/Cubs game

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Did anyone else think that the Houston runner touched home plate before the catcher tagged him out in the bottom of the 9th last night? The catcher wasn't even blocking home plate -- he was back on the back half of the plate, and it looked to me like the ump blew the call, which wasn't even all that bang-bang.

For Houston, if they don't win the WC, I'd be looking back at that call as a huge one that went against them.

SOXPHILE
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't know. It looked like he was out by a longshot on the re-plays I saw. But if I see another replay, I'll look more carefully at his feet. I admit, now that I think about it, I just really saw the catcher get the ball, and then the runner run into him, so he LOOKED out. Gotta get another look at where the ball actually was, and if he tagged him before he touched the plate.

JB98
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
The ball beat the runner by so much that the umpire probably felt like he couldn't reward such stupidity by the Houston third-base coach. I was wondering if Joey Cora was wearing an Astros uniform last night.

HotelWhiteSox
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Only saw highlights, but what a horrible call by Houston to send the runner. Sportscenter was drooling over the relay, where it was just a horrible call by the 3rd base coach

34 Inch Stick
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I didn't know another team played in this city. I guess I'll have to try and check them out some time next year.

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
I didn't know another team played in this city. I guess I'll have to try and check them out some time next year.Don't bother - they're terrible.

Dick Allen
09-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Did anyone else think that the Houston runner touched home plate before the catcher tagged him out in the bottom of the 9th last night? The catcher wasn't even blocking home plate -- he was back on the back half of the plate, and it looked to me like the ump blew the call, which wasn't even all that bang-bang.

For Houston, if they don't win the WC, I'd be looking back at that call as a huge one that went against them.I was watching and was able to Tivo it back in slow motion several times. It was close, but he definitely looked out, unfortunately. I don't know who was up next, but unless it was a Geoff Blum-type hitter, it was a rotten decision to send him. Frickin Cubs.:angry: :angry:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-30-2005, 03:31 PM
It looked to me as though his foot touched the plate a split second before the tag, but the replay that would've show it most clearly was behind home plate, and that's the only view Comcast refused to show frame-by-frame. Hmmm...

I'm actually rooting for the Astros to lose the Wild Card to Philly, for two reasons:

1) In no way do I want Houston's pitching staff in the playoffs, and
2) If Houston is the WC, St. Louis gets to play the awful Padres in the NLDS. I know it seems justified for the best team to play the worst team (even though we likely won't have that luxury), but the Cardinals have had enough of a cakewalk this season, don't you think?