PDA

View Full Version : Ed Sherman Article in Cubune Today-Can I have ONE day in the sun please?

SOecks
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
So, Ed Sherman apparently can't write a positive article about the Sox without pitting them against the beloved Cubbies. He is writing an article about how the Sox could be either playing mid day or prime time games in first round depending on what matchup they end up with. It made good sense in the beginning. Sox-Angels would likely end up with afternoon games, where Sox-Yankees would probably be prime time. Then he makes some rediculous and completely unnecessary Cubs comparisons that completely set me off. Here's what he wrote.

" The White Sox, however, aren't the Cubs, not that anybody needs to be told. The Cubs' mass appeal was the reason Fox decided to showcase Game 1 of their 2003 series with Atlanta in prime time. The Cubs were picked over the Yankees and Red Sox that night.

The Cubs are a national team. Losing, it seems, is endearing. The Sox lose, too, but they haven't marketed it as well. When the Sox were in the playoffs in 2000, all three of their games against Seattle were in the afternoon."

Do the 2005 AL playoffs have ANYTHING to do with the Cubs? NO! They're completely out of the picture this year and have no relevance in the article and with the points he was trying to make. Can't these writers just give us ONE day in the sun and not keep looking for ways to dig at the Sox and compare them to the beloved Cubbies?

SOXPHILE
09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Memo to Ed (The Sherminator) Sherman: Hey Ed, after your done cleaning Ron Santo's shoes with your tongue and folding his laundry, I think all his hairpieces need to be combed out. Then when your done with all that, go get his Chevy washed. Better yet, do it yourself. Oh, and Ed ? Eddie ? Please...PLEASE stay the hell away from the typwriter for a few days. Have the Tribune comp you some free tickets and go see "This Old Cub" for the 33rd time. P.S. - You're an idiot. Bite Me.

Chisox353014
09-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Memo to Ed (The Sherminator) Sherman: Hey Ed, after your done cleaning Ron Santo's shoes with your tongue and folding his laundry, I think all his hairpieces need to be combed out. Then when your done with all that, go get his Chevy washed. Better yet, do it yourself. Oh, and Ed ? Eddie ? Please...PLEASE stay the hell away from the typwriter for a few days. Have the Tribune comp you some free tickets and go see "This Old Cub" for the 33rd time. P.S. - You're an idiot. Bite Me.

:D:

ssirish317
09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
The Cubs are a national team. Losing, it seems, is endearing. The Sox lose, too, but they haven't marketed it as well.

How exactly does a professional sports franchise market losing to draw fans to their games? If memory serves me, the Cubs got their surge of popularity in recent years BECAUSE THEY WERE WINNING. (i.e. '03 and most of '04) I also don't remember any Cubs commercials heading into this season that went anything like.... "We choked in the final week of the season last year, come see us do it again this year!" No, you've got Ron Santo doing spots for Chevy, saying "I see the Cubs getting better and better....I see a World Series..."

Yeah, thats marketing losing alright.

Kogs35
09-30-2005, 04:32 PM
So, Ed Sherman apparently can't write a positive article about the Sox without pitting them against the beloved Cubbies. He is writing an article about how the Sox could be either playing mid day or prime time games in first round depending on what matchup they end up with. It made good sense in the beginning. Sox-Angels would likely end up with afternoon games, where Sox-Yankees would probably be prime time. Then he makes some rediculous and completely unnecessary Cubs comparisons that completely set me off. Here's what he wrote.

" The White Sox, however, aren't the Cubs, not that anybody needs to be told. The Cubs' mass appeal was the reason Fox decided to showcase Game 1 of their 2003 series with Atlanta in prime time. The Cubs were picked over the Yankees and Red Sox that night.

The Cubs are a national team. Losing, it seems, is endearing. The Sox lose, too, but they haven't marketed it as well. When the Sox were in the playoffs in 2000, all three of their games against Seattle were in the afternoon."

Do the 2005 AL playoffs have ANYTHING to do with the Cubs? NO! They're completely out of the picture this year and have no relevance in the article and with the points he was trying to make. Can't these writers just give us ONE day in the sun and not keep looking for ways to dig at the Sox and compare them to the beloved Cubbies?

:tealpolice:

Dick Allen
09-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Memo to Ed (The Sherminator) Sherman: Hey Ed, after your done cleaning Ron Santo's shoes with your tongue and folding his laundry, I think all his hairpieces need to be combed out. Then when your done with all that, go get his Chevy washed. Better yet, do it yourself. Oh, and Ed ? Eddie ? Please...PLEASE stay the hell away from the typwriter for a few days. Have the Tribune comp you some free tickets and go see "This Old Cub" for the 33rd time. P.S. - You're an idiot. Bite Me.You should seriously send this to him in an e-mail.