PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Shanoff

MadCitySoxFan
09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
This jag writes an idiotic Daily Quickie every day on espn.com. Today's is especially lousy given what happened yesterday. Some quotes:

There's no shame in backing in with a brutal second half. (Just ask the White Sox.) - Umm, yeah 39-34 is "brutal"

This weekend's season finale in Boston is every bit as meaningful as the ALDS or ALCS or even the World Series. Another unique twist in a rivalry we figured could get no wilder. - I just vomited.

Because it could result in either the Yankees or Red Sox missing the playoffs, a staggering ending to the 2005 season. And no teams are more important to baseball than those two. - You mean important to ESPN

There's no pressure on Chicago. Even if they lose all three games in Cleveland, they've clinched the Central division title.

That's bad news for the AL East runner-up. What is the White Sox' motivation for doing anything but playing to avoid injury and wearying pitchers?

(And would Chicago really want to play the AL East runner-up in the ALDS? That's like begging to get ousted by next weekend.) - No, actually I think we match up better with the Yankees than we do with the Angels

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

C-Dawg
09-30-2005, 11:36 AM
There's no shame in backing in with a brutal second half. (Just ask the White Sox.) - Umm, yeah 39-34 is "brutal"

If I did my math correctly, the Sox have a .571 record so far in September (not counting tonight's game yet to be played of course). That's better than July! And not too shabby either.

(That 7-game streak to start the month certainly helped) :D:

chitownhawkfan
09-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Wow, I guess ESPN has given up pretending to be unbiased. The quote about the BlowSox and the Yankees meaning everything to the playoffs made me feel well, how should I put it, I guess this sums it up pretty good

:chunks:

Foulke You
10-01-2005, 04:00 AM
(And would Chicago really want to play the AL East runner-up in the ALDS? That's like begging to get ousted by next weekend.)

I guess our players better pack their bags and get ready for the offseason since there will be no reason to even try against those mighty Yankees and Red Sox of which the rest of the baseball world quakes in fear against.

It's jags like this writer that make me want to have the White Sox play the Red Sox in the first round, beat them, and then play the Yankees in the ALCS and beat THEM too. I couldn't imagine a more perfect road to the World Series and the friggin games would be in prime time to boot.:cool:

Vernam
10-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Wow, I guess ESPN has given up pretending to be unbiased.I never noticed them pretending! :redneck

One of many great things about Ozzie is that, if the Sox win it all, you know he will use it as a platform to ream the East Coast media. I'd have been thrilled with a World Series win no matter who managed the team (even Bevington!), but it would be much sweeter for it to happen when the guy in charge really "gets it." And if they do win, maybe that's no coincidence.

Guys like Manuel seemed to think the fans were a little too wound up over the inferiority complex, the Cubs, etc. (And maybe he was right . . .) But I cut Ozzie a lot of slack because he makes even wild-eyed fans seem rational by comparison. It makes you wonder if there isn't some truth to the theory that he buys the players breathing room by drawing so much fire himself. Close as the Sox came to spitting the bit, there wasn't a single example of the players turning on one another.

In fact, it'd make a great story, not that the New York/Boston obsessives bother to notice.

Vernam