PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody see Fox News this Morning?

FoulkeFan
09-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I just caught the end of a conversation between Tamron Hall and the Fox Sports fill-in guy, but I SWEAR that they were talking about how there were going to be empty seats for the playoff games. Did anybody else hear this? They made it sound like you could still get regular price tickets which I'm pretty sure are all sold out right now. Maybe I misheard or something.

DaveIsHere
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
All Playoff tickets were sol in 27 minutes or something like that, must have been Cub fans buying those just so i could get one!!!:angry:

miker
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
They can both choke on their own anti-Sox venom. The Sox won, their fans are happy (well, some of them) and we are looking forward to even more celebrations this month!

SoxFan78
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
I just caught the end of a conversation between Tamron Hall and the Fox Sports fill-in guy, but I SWEAR that they were talking about how there were going to be empty seats for the playoff games. Did anybody else hear this? They made it sound like you could still get regular price tickets which I'm pretty sure are all sold out right now. Maybe I misheard or something.

I think the Fox people were referencing a interview from a scalper saying that the playoff tickets for the White Sox were a buyers market. Meaning that there were more tickets out there then Sox fan demand.

Complete BS if you ask me.

kevingrt
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
They can both choke on their own anti-Sox venom. The Sox won, their fans are happy (well, some of them) and we are looking forward to even more celebrations this month!

Who cares about TV personalities that know nothing about sports or Chicago sports, mainly the Chicago White Sox.

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
I saw last night's news on Fox, and they interviewed that same shady ticket broker who was saying "there's a lot of tickets still available, this is definitely a buyer's market, there's much more supply than demand". My question is..then why the heck did the ticket brokers buy so many tix? When they went on sale, they sold out in less than 15 minutes. And for some reason, the news never mentions this.

It's amazing to me how clueless the local news reporters can be.. makes me wonder how inaccurate all their news is.

kninchicago
09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
That really surprises me because the FNITM crew doesn't exactly hide their Sox pride. One of them made a derogatory comment about the Yankees, I remember that much. Of course I don't get to watch the entire show, just like half an hour each day.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those tickets are for the mysterious ALDS "game 5". This game will only be played if it needs to go to 5 games and the Sox have home field advantage. Seeing as how neither are certaintes at this point, it shouldn't come as a shock that people aren't willing to buy non-refundable tickets for a game that doesn't even exist yet.

FoulkeFan
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I think the Fox people were referencing a interview from a scalper saying that the playoff tickets for the White Sox were a buyers market. Meaning that there were more tickets out there then Sox fan demand.

Thanks. It just seems funny because everywhere I look for tickets (ebay, StubHub), they seem to be going for $100+ per ticket. Some buyers market!

bigdommer
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks. It just seems funny because everywhere I look for tickets (ebay, StubHub), they seem to be going for $100+ per ticket. Some buyers market!

I agree. If money is no object, then tickets for the Super Bowl would be a buyers' market.

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Plenty of tickets (http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&query=white+sox&catAbbreviation=tix&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max) available on Craigslist. Prices WILL come down as Tuesday approaches.

anewman35
09-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those tickets are for the mysterious ALDS "game 5". This game will only be played if it needs to go to 5 games and the Sox have home field advantage. Seeing as how neither are certaintes at this point, it shouldn't come as a shock that people aren't willing to buy non-refundable tickets for a game that doesn't even exist yet.

The Sox have clinched homefield advantage for the ALDS. They are guaranteed to be above the Angels, and a wild-card team can't have home field.

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Plenty of tickets (http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&query=white+sox&catAbbreviation=tix&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max) available on Craigslist. Prices WILL come down as Tuesday approaches.

Unbelievable! Someone's selling upper deck tickets for $100 each. Shouldn't this be illegal...buying tickets right when they go on sale with the sole purpose of selling them for $100 or more? I couldn't get my hands on tickets even though I tried for the 15 minutes they were available.. and these scalpers got all of them. :(: I guess that's to be expected for any major sporting event.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 11:39 AM
The Sox have clinched homefield advantage for the ALDS. They are guaranteed to be above the Angels, and a wild-card team can't have home field.

Oops. Man, I'm blowing it over here.:redface:

Game 5 is still up in the air though. At least that's something...

MiamiSpartan
09-30-2005, 11:41 AM
wow....faux news gets something wrong...what are the odds?

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Unbelievable! Someone's selling upper deck tickets for $100 each. Shouldn't this be illegal...buying tickets right when they go on sale with the sole purpose of selling them for $100 or more? I couldn't get my hands on tickets even though I tried for the 15 minutes they were available.. and these scalpers got all of them. :(: I guess that's to be expected for any major sporting event.

It is illegal (well, in Illinois anyway). You can't sell tickets to events above face value. The way around this, of course, is to offer a "prize" along with the ticket. So a White Sox bumper sticker will cost you $100 but it includes a "free" ticket to a playoff game.:rolleyes:

Foulke You
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM

It's total BS. The guy obviously hasn't checked the prices on Ebay. I had to pay $80 each for Upper Deck tickets that have a face value of $35 and I got a "deal". If $50 over face value for nosebleeders is a "buyers" market, I hate to think what a sellers market is.

Maybe these ticket jokers are comparing Sox fans to Cub fans binge spending in 2003. Sox fans aren't trust funders who can walk up to the Trib's scalping office and layout $500 per seat for last row in the upper deck. It ain't gonna happen.

bigdommer
09-30-2005, 11:47 AM

This makes me so angry. At first, I was in favor of the online system (mainly because I live in Baltimore). But now I realize that it's a joke. I think we were all online the whole time and could barely get a pair, yet these agencies have multiple groups of 4 for all the games. If they let fans camp out and wait for tickets, then most would go to true SOX fans.

But, as we know, JR is about $$$, and an internet sale pretty much guarantees a sellout for all of the games. Plus, he doesn't have to pay people to work the booth and have security while fans wait in line. And if fans dole out the extra cash to pay 100 bucks a ticket to sit in the UD, that's great for him. And if there's a couple thousand empty seats for a sellout, it makes the fans look bad, not him.

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 11:51 AM
What was it like in 2000? Did scalpers keep a thousand tix from getting used...and was it a full house despite the scalpers?

mrfourni
09-30-2005, 11:59 AM

the tickets are refundable. the bs ticketmaster fees are not however

miker
09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I wonder if that's why baseball playoff ticket sales are different then hockey -- so TM can make more money. In hockey you can buy for a particular game and if the first round ends early, your ticket is good for the home game in the next round.

At least that how I thought it works...please correct me if I'm wrong.

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
It is illegal (well, in Illinois anyway). You can't sell tickets to events above face value. The way around this, of course, is to offer a "prize" along with the ticket. So a White Sox bumper sticker will cost you $100 but it includes a "free" ticket to a playoff game.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is still illegal in Illinois anymore. I remember Gov. Blago signing a bill during the summer that, I believe, makes it legal to sell tickets for a profit even w/o a broker's license. Supposedly this was to make it less of a monopoly among brokers and would reduce overall ticket prices.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Funny - Almost all of the tickets offered are the seats up for sale to the general public (Upper corners of the upper deck or obstructed view in the lower bowl) - people thought they could gouge Sox fans - I hope these people lose money on their tickets.

I am looking for 1 the first two games (I have tickets for a possible game 3). I will pay face and buy the Sox fan a beer or two I get the tickets from.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM

Can you refund tickets if you are not the original purchaser? I thought the tickets and credit card numbers had to match.:?:

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure if it is still illegal in Illinois anymore. I remember Gov. Blago signing a bill during the summer that, I believe, makes it legal to sell tickets for a profit even w/o a broker's license. Supposedly this was to make it less of a monopoly among brokers and would reduce overall ticket prices.

True, individuals can now sell tickets above face value but I believe it has to be done through an auction (like eBay). Simply demanding a price is not acceptable. That's my understanding. Anyone else know more?

Iwritecode
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM

They are refundable for face value only. That's the key.

Nobody is going to spend $100+ for upperdeck game 5 tickets and then only get $30 back from Ticketmaster...

Palehose13
09-30-2005, 02:30 PM
It's total BS. The guy obviously hasn't checked the prices on Ebay. I had to pay $80 each for Upper Deck tickets that have a face value of $35 and I got a "deal". If $50 over face value for nosebleeders is a "buyers" market, I hate to think what a sellers market is.

Maybe these ticket jokers are comparing Sox fans to Cub fans binge spending in 2003. Sox fans aren't trust funders who can walk up to the Trib's scalping office and layout $500 per seat for last row in the upper deck. It ain't gonna happen.

Face value is $40 UD Box and $30 UD reserved. As a partial season ticket holder, I was allowed 4 UD reserved seats. The tickets are completely paid for thanks to ebay and I made a small profit. I don't make a lot of money, but spent a TON on the Sox this year not to mention t he price of gas to travel 184 miles round trip to see a game.

Hate me if you will for selling extras for over face value, but I had the faith in January that this team would make the playoffs and put my money where my mouth is. I don't feel bad for making a small profit for taking a big risk 8 months ago.

btw...I promised my buyer of game 3 a full refund when he returns my tickets to me if the game isn't played.